Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Still have no previews, so we're still in re-runs.

Today's repeat is Super-League VII, Dynamo League Week 11. Back in Super-League VII, we didn't have the Sub-Par League, but we still had so many teams that it was necessary to split them up over two save files, meaning that each update only featured one league. Except, since I didn't want to double the length of the season, that meant that I was doing a full update every day.

It was not a great system.

Plus, for those keeping track, we didn't really have all that many owners, since, of the sixteen teams in the Dynamo League of Super-League VII, Marauder was the owner of the:

-Burma Imperialists
-Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
-Lombard St. Gumshoes
-Old Hoss Radbourns
-Polyarny Postmodernists
-St. Paul Bearers (Part-Owner)

So, yeah, while Marauder didn't own half the league, he did legitimately own 3/8ths of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

cbx posted:

I could probably pop out a division preview on either Monday or Tuesday, anyone want to collab?

I can collab if you don't mind the fact that I know nothing about baseball.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

CirclMastr posted:

I can collab if you don't mind the fact that I know nothing about baseball.

That should make it infinitely better. I know just enough about baseball from my past job to be dangerous but not deadly.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Memento Mori preview

Speed-running the preview because I'm half sure I'm gonna have to end up writing a second one so the season eventually starts; Misanthropes won last season because their pitching actually remembered how to pitch, Baseball Club and the Zephyrs finished 1 and 2 games out of the playoff races respectively, and the outlaws have been renamed and have traded away a ruth plus stuff I think to get the Machine from craig. Good luck to the new Slammers and their lack of double ruth.

C
1: 1927 Gabby Hartnett (Zephyrs)
2: 2014 Buster Posey (Misanthropes)
3: 1872 Deacon White / 1913 Chief Meyers Platoon (Baseball Club)
4: 2007 Victor Martinez (Slammers)

At catcher, unless you have one of the like, 3 or 4 best players available, you're gonna have to accept flaws somewhere. The general pools go “can field but isn't really much of a hitter” “is pre-deadball, so can hit .300 and run but with 0 power and is gonna make 300 errors a season” and “can sorta hit but isn't really much of a defender”. Hartnett and Posey can mostly field, and Hartnett is a slightly safer hitter so he gets first/ White / Meyers isn't the worst deadball platoon you can run, but I don't think baseball club is actually helped all that much by a deadball platoon, they're not running the kind of extreme speed/contact gimmick that requires it, and I'm not sure I love their fielding in front of a mostly groundball pitching staff. Victor martinez exists, can almost hit and almost field. He's more of a “solid 3rd catcher” than someone you actually want starting most games though.

1B
1: Buck Leonard (Zephyrs)
2: 1926 Lou Gehrig (Slammers)
3: 1882 Roger Connor (Misanthropes)
4: 2013 Albert Pujols (Club)

In order, Leonard and Gehrig are 99% the same but Leonard seems to be injured less so he gets first. Connor is an absolute monster hitter who may or may not actually be good enough defensively to even play at 1B. Pujols is 43 by 2013 somehow, but he can at least field 1B which is nice.

2B
1: 1983 Lou Whitaker / 1927 Frankie Frisch (Misanthropes)
2: 1923 Eddie Collins (Zephyrs)
3: 1983 Lou Whitaker (Slammers)
4: 1905 Nap Lajoie (Baseball Club)

Whitaker/Frisch remains a hilariously decadent 2B platoon, and is still pretty good. Collins desperately needs a caddy by 1923 and really only an also lefty cano is the zephyrs only real option which hurts. Whitaker can still field and hit for mid range power, and nap still only hits for contact and does absolutely nothing else.

3B
1: 1927 Frankie Frisch / 2007 Scott Rolen (Misanthropes)
2: 1983 George Brett (Zephyrs)
3 : 1926 Joe Sewell (Baseball Club)
4: 1995 Edgar Martinez (Slammers)

Frisch/Rolen feels like a better platoon than it actually ends up being because even in a strict platoon Rolen just can't loving hit. Still the best in the division, but man mogul does not like scott rolen. Brett gives you solid defense and a bat that is never as good as brett owners want it to be, but still better than 90% of non-boggs options who aren't just “lol play jimmie foxx at 3B”. Joe Sewell is gonna walk and almost play 3B defense. Edgar is not even gonna pretend to play defense, but he will hit.

SS
1: The Machine (Slammers)
2: The Masked SS (Misanthropes)
3a: 1992 Cal Ripken (Baseball Club)
3b: 1992 Cal Ripken (Zephyrs)

Land of contrasts here, 2 elite created SSes, and 2 “oh god it's the 4th round and I forgot to draft a SS, thank god 4 cal ripkens are still on the board. The Machine is great unless you're Craigk and forever cursed to never have baseball happiness. The Masked SS is also good, but now that the machine has escaped craig I'm pretty sure he's gonna have a career season just to spite him. Cal Ripken isn't bad, so much as generic. Good but not best in class defense, mostly okay bat for a SL SS, hits for a little power; there aren't a ton of teams that are actively hurt by starting a ripken, but there are also very few that want to be starting a ripken.

LF
1: 1946 Ted Williams (Zephyrs)
2: 1926 Tris Speaker (Slammers)
3: 1899 Jesse Burkett (Misanthropes)
4: 1934 Al Simmons (Baseball Club)

Ted williams is really loving good it turns out. Defense is lacking, bat is great. Tris Speaker IRL played less than 18 total innings in LF, and was a full time CF basically until he retired at 40, but gently caress it, why not. Praying for a reverse age bug here, but worst case you just ruin all of the other speakers in the league instead. Burkett just hits singles and runs inefficiently, but that's honestly all the misanthropes expect of him. Simmons is aging and honestly more of a platoon guy even in his prime.

CF
1: 1920 Ty Cobb (Baseball Club)
2: 1960 Mickey Mantle / 1961 Willie Mays Platoon (Misanthropes)
3: 1965 Willie Mays (Slammers)
4: 1983 Fred Lynn (Zephyrs)

Cobb is good, mantle/mays platoon is a frankly weird use of resources because either you think mantle can handle CF well enough to start in which he should play full time, or you don't and he's DH only, but I do like him so he's over old mays full time. Lynn sucks, kensei knows lynn sucks, but kensei is legally required to make big trades every off season so lynn is the cost of trading to get that shiny new ted williams.

RF
1:1920 Babe Ruth (Outlaws)
2: 1917 Babe Ruth (Zephyrs)
3: 1903 Willie Keeler /1967 Hank Aaron Platoon (Misanthropes)
4: 1937 Ben Chapman (Baseball Club)

Shock of Shocks, Ruth is great. Keeler/Aaron does exactly what the misanthropes want and keep a too old Aaron from having to face righties. Baseball club is willingly not starting a reasonably prime harry heilmann so they can start ben chapman full time instead. I do not understand this decision, and ask only that baseball club trades me the heilmann instead, thanks.

DH
1: 1934 Jimmie Foxx (Zephyrs)
2: 2007 Albert Pujols (Slammers)
3: 1966 Willie Mays (Baseball Club)
4: Batting his VR DH 9th again even though we went over this last time catt (Misanthropes)

Foxx and Pujols are 90% the same player, so I'll put the one currently ruining their mogul stats by playing too long IRL second. Willie mays is not a good SL DH, but Catt gets last for batting their VR DH 9th, again.

Bench
1: 1970 Bench/1960 Mathews/ Flaccid Pnurtis/ 1907 Wagner/ 2015 Cabrera (Slammers)
2: 1983 Yount, 1970 Yastrzemski, 1983 Parrish, 1926 Sewell, Robinson Cano (zephyrs)
3: Catcher Platoon /1937 Myer/1929 Grantham/1928 Wilson/1920 Heilmann (Baseball Club)
4: Misanthropes get last for not listing a bench and I'm not finding it myself.

Slammers actually have everything I'm looking for in a bench, which is really nice, backup C/SS/CF and a lefty/righty. Kinda missing a backup 2B, but honestly well done. Zephyrs also manage it, but a lack of a non-yount/parrish righty on the bench pushes it just behind the slammers for me. Baseball club are missing a true SS because buddy myer can't really do it. Misanthropes are more talented but I ain't finding it myself.

Rotation
1: Alexander /Bradley/ Adams/ Sallee/ Goldschmidt (Misanthropes)
2: Paige / Kershaw / Walsh /Powell/ Sallee/ (Zephyrs)
3: Kershaw / Kershaw / Dean / Marichal / Young (slammers)
4: Mathewson / Joss / Maddux / Witse / Carlton (baseball club)

In order; most team appropriate, most talented, getting to where the slammers want to be but a few players off, and I love the first three, needs some more guys at the back. Honestly pretty solid rotations all around though, no clear “oh my god they're getting relegated” guys, which is nice to see.

Final thoughts

Honestly this division is probably 80% the same as it was last year. The Misanthropes are not the most talented team in the division, but they know what they're doing, who they need to get and how to make it all work, and will probably win 90+ games before losing in the playoffs to a team from the STV again. Kensei keeps trying to figure out which new star players will push his team over the last hurdle while also having to start a scrub or two each year. Maybe take a season off from the big mega trades, find an actual starting caliber CF, a decent righty caddy to collins, and build some actual depth and this team is not far from being a legit playoff contender year in and year out. Baseball Club is playing by the beat of their own drum and I have no idea what to say about them. I still want you guys to either start or trade heilmann lol. I respect the hell out of the slammers for making a big move and going out and getting the machine, I hope it works out. A better defensive catcher, a real 3B and some pitching depth and I think this team might finally be making the jump from “barely living” to really competing.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
IMPORTANT NEWS!

Well, maybe not that important in the grand scheme of things, but important to me.

Here's the honest truth, and one that anyone who has been in Discord in the past few months has noticed: I'm not doing well.

I'm sure that many of you will point out that me saying that is an understatement.

I've suffered from depression and anxiety for a long time, but it's starting to become less manageable, and bleeding into every facet of my life. I can't go for a drive without worrying that my car is about to break down, to the point where, and this is absolutely true, I will, at least four or five times during my commute to work, turn off my music because I am sure, just absolutely sure, that there is some new sound that presages the imminent destruction of my car.

And those irrational fears extend to virtually every other aspect of my life, as well, and that, unfortunately, includes the Super-League.

I don't know what my intentions were when I started the Super-League. I was at a very different, and marginally more optimistic, in certain senses, place in my life. I don't know why I've kept doing it as long as I have, other than fear of what I would do afterward. (You will not be shocked to learn that, even by the standards of the people on this forum, I am a deeply anti-social person). As stated before, fear is the pervading force in my life.

Where my issues hit the Super-League is that, like my car, I am irrationally afraid of some technical failure causing some catastrophic harm. To that end, I need help. While my computer (and myself) can handle simming the save file, and doing all of the writing, it's the in-between part, of getting the images ready and uploaded, that's causing me a lot of stress at the moment. If anyone can help out with that, or anything else, let me know.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Pujols is 43 by 2013 somehow, but he can at least field 1B which is nice.
33, even.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

It occurs to me that appealing to your hearts is foolish.

I must instead appeal to your greed.

Therefore, I am introducing a new contest! The Super-League Super Pick!

In this contest, owners can win Smasher Pointstm throughout the season, and, at the end of the season:

-First place gets a sandwich pick in the Dispersal Draft
-Second place gets a second-round pick in the Dispersal Draft
-Third place gets a third-round pick in the Dispersal Draft

Smasher Pointstm can be earned in the following ways:

2 points for helping with a Super-League update
1 point for helping with a Sub-Par League update

And there will probably be other things that come up.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
test post plz ignore

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I wouldn't mind helping with updates because it's the best way to keep connected to doing stuff my team needs, imo.

I am not sure if I have the right version of BBM for the SL right now. When I can anticipate the schedule, I can be reliably consistent for stuff like that.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

tadashi posted:

I wouldn't mind helping with updates because it's the best way to keep connected to doing stuff my team needs, imo.

I am not sure if I have the right version of BBM for the SL right now. When I can anticipate the schedule, I can be reliably consistent for stuff like that.

2013 is the version in use. It's free on the Baseball Mogul website or I can send you the .exe, just mention me in Discord.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

To clarify what help I'm looking for:

I will still be running the save file, and will still ultimately put together the update. What the person receiving the file has to do is to take the necessary screenshots from the save file, and send it back to me.

What a person needs to do this is:

-Baseball Mogul 2013
-Irfanview
-AutoHotKey
-Some means of getting the images onto LPix, either via Rightload or ShareX.

We can do a stress test with Week 0 this weekend if people want to get a feel for how the process works and/or troubleshoot.

In the meantime, I will offer a Smasher Point for each divisional preview.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

habeasdorkus posted:

Previously in the Vae Victis division preview

: Nothing ever changes in the Vae Victis…

. . .

: Is this part of the Sub-Par Commissioner Curse?

. . .

: I’M SO SORRY!

:siren:VAE VICTIS DIVISION, SUPER LEAGUE SEASON 32 PREVIEW:siren:

: Oww. What happened?

SL31 Record: 88-74, Division Champ
SL31 Pythagorean Record: 84-78

PNC Park
Altitude: 0’
Structure: Open
Surface: Natural Grass
Dimensions: 325-383-399-375-320 (previously 325-388-399-365-320)
Infield Quality: Excellent
Infield Grass: Very Long (previously Medium)
Visibility: Average
Foul Ground: Small (previously Average)
Park Factor: 97 (SL 28)

: This is Definitely part of the Sub-Par Commissioner’s Curse.

: Oh don’t worry about it. It’s not like FTL’s a hard game.

SL31 Record: 73-89, 2nd Place
SL31 Pythagorean Record: 78-84

GENERICDOME
Altitude: 4000'
Structure: Convertible
Dimensions: 500-500-500-350-250
Infield Grass: Very Short (previously Very Long)
Visibility: Good
Foul Ground: Average
Park Factor: 114 (SL29)

: I can tell we’re on easy too from our starting scrap.

: Though we should make sure we don’t do any of these random events, there’s a good chance one of us winds up dead if we try them.

: Oh no. Not FTL.

SL31 Record: 72-90, 3rd Place
SL31 Pythagorean Record: 71-91

Towa Tower Stadium
Altitude: 3995’
Dimensions: 250 - 350 - 375 - 475 - 500
Infield Quality: Poor
Infield Grass: Very Long
Visibility: Excellent
Foul Ground: Huge
Park Factor: 119 (SL29)

: It’s not my fault that last season was bad! I tried to make my team better! What am I doing back in an LP of a roguelike?

: Hi, this is the underscore Goog coming at you live on twitch.tv, and… what in the hell have I gotten myself into? Are these… claws?

SP19 Record: 89-73, Sub-Par Runner Up
SP19 Pythagorean Record: 99-63

Calling Compound
Altitude: 36’
Dimensions: 320-365-405-355-305
Infield Grass: Short
Foul Ground: Huge (previously average)
Park Factor: Not Available

: See, we just beat up these pirates.

: C’mon, knock it off, they’re offering us a bribe

: We can do better.

: WHAT THE gently caress, KW.

: Can still do better.

: Huh.

: Ok, no letting KW negotiate in the future.

: No, see, they fixed our ship too.

: MY EXOSKELETON IS CHARRED.

: Oh just go to the medbay, you big baby.

Catcher
1.) Rochester Generics - 1949 Yogi Berra/1939 Bill Dickey (same)
2.) London Calling - 1932 Bill Dickey (1937 Gabby Hartnett)
3.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1925 Gabby Hartnett (same)
3.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1925 Gabby Hartnett (same)

: Wait, I thought you said exploring things like this was likely to get us killed.

: Yeah, but I got a good feeling about this one. Just like my Berra/Dickey platoon behind the plate.

: See? All good! We have a sacrificial lamb.

: What.

: Uh, nothing.

First Base
1.) London Calling - 1925 Lou Gehrig/ 2012 Albert Pujols (same)
2.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 2005 Albert Pujols (same)
3.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 2007 Albert Pujols (same)
4.) Rochester Generics - 1938 Johnny Mize (same)

: So wait, are you saying we should send over Rynhart?

: …

: The hell with that, let’s free some slaves.

: Hell yeah! Nice to meet you… uh. Why are you all looking at him so oddly?

: Because… that’s CraigK.

: What sort of sick, sad joke is this?! I got demoted last season! I’m safely in the sub-par! This is because I’m a Mariner’s fan, isn’t it?

: No, it’s because you complain about DOTA.

: … What was that?

: Coulda sworn I heard something.

Second Base
1.) Rochester Generics - 1932 Charlie Gehringer/1932 Rogers Hornsby (same)
2.) London Calling - 1967 Rod Carew/1985 Ryne Sandberg (1967 Rod Carew/1937 Babe Herman)
3.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1904 Nap Lajoie (same)
4.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1987 Ryne Sandberg (same)

: I thought you said we should be avoiding fights?

:We need to make the ship stronger if we’re gonna survive the final battle.

: I’m feeling a little woozy.

: See? We’re getting there. We’re way better off than we were in the Darkest Dungeon.

: If KW and you would stop shooting up the ship, at least.

Third Base
1.) Rochester Generics - 1983 George Brett (1923 Joe Sewell)
2.) London Calling - 1980 George Brett/1900 John McGraw (same)
3.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1981 Mike Schmidt (same)
4.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1973 Ron Santo (same)

: Who’s that floating in the wreckage?

: Wait, wasn’t Bruzer in the last preview… with Smasher?

: I can be helpful! I’m great at building things, like FTL ships and Super League teams!

: Yeah. I no longer have a good feeling about this.

: At least we’re most of the way through the game.

Shortstop
1.) London Calling - 1937 Arky Vaughn/1990 Cal Ripken, Jr. (same)
2.) Rochester Generics - 1923 Joe Sewell/1897 Honus Wagner (1897 Honus Wagner)
3.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1993 Cal Ripken, Jr. (same)
4.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1995 Barry Larkin (same)

: Is it really a good idea to put Bruzer in charge of the doors?

: Look, do you want to go fight these guys? I don’t. Let’s just space 'em.

Left Field
1.) Rochester Generics - 1952 Ted Williams (same)
2.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1955 Ted Williams (same)
3.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1995 Gary Sheffield (same)
4.) London Calling - 1926 Earl Combs/1924 Harry Heilmann (same)

: Who forgot to look ahead to see if we could actually proceed down this path?

: That’s a lot of backtracking.

: We’re going to be fine. Well, most of us for sure. Probably all of us.

: Are you sure of that?

: Definitely.

Center Field
1.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1913 Ty Cobb (same)
2.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1959 Willie Mays (same)
3.) London Calling - 1956 Mickey Mantle (same)
4.) Rochester Generics - 1995 Barry Bonds (same)

: Are you still sure?

: No doubt in my mind.

Right Field
1.) London Calling - 1937 Mel Ott (same)
2.) Rochester Generics - 1943 Mel Ott (same)
3.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1960 Hank Aaron (same)
4.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1931 Paul Waner (same)

: I hate to say it, but I’m starting to agree with CraigK. We’re in a tight spot.

: Relax. There’s a reason I’m so confident that at least some of us will be fine.

: We just lost half our weapons.

:: And we’ve got another fight before we can possibly escape!

Designated Hitter
1.) London Calling - 1900 John McGraw/1925 Lou Gehrig (same)
2.) Rochester Generics - 1958 Stan Musial (same)
3.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1993 Frank Thomas (Same)
4.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1991 Edgar Martinez (same)

: Have some faith, would the underscore G double-O G let you down?

: Fingers crossed there’s no fight at this next node…

Bench
1.)Towa City Demon Hunters - 1995 Mike Piazza/1950 Jackie Robinson/2010 Alex Rodriguez/1965 Frank Robinson/1902 Ed Delahanty (same)
2.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1924 Bubbles Hargrave/1994 Jeff Bagwell/1988 Robin Yount/1940 Arky Vaughn/1950 Duke Snider (same)
3.) Rochester Generics - C Platoon/2B Platoon/SS Platoon/1967 Mickey Mantle/1934 Oscar Charleston (- 2002 Chipper Jones)
4.) London Calling - 1937 Gabby Hartnett/1B Platoon/2B Platoon/3B Platoon/SS Platoon/LF Platoon/DH Platoon (- 1938 Eddie Lombardi)

: See? I told you. No worries.

: Guys, can I stop working in the place with no air now? I demand a crewmate’s challenge on this repair duty!

: How did you know we’d be fine?

: Oh, I get it -

: Exactly, we’re only halfway through the preview. All of us can’t die yet.

Staff Ace
1.) Rochester Generics - 1912 Walter Johnson (same)
2.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1991 Greg Maddux (1881 Bobby Mathews)
3.) London Calling - 1920 Pete Alexander (same)
4.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1925 Pete Alexander (same)

: Let’s take a quick detour to the shop.

: The rebel fleet is right on top of us!

: Yeah, but think of what Goog said, we’re invincible with this much of the preview left!

Number Two
1.) London Calling - 1938 Paul Derringer (same)
2.) Rochester Generics - 1902 Eddie Plank (same)
3.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1976 Rick Reuschel (1909 Addie Joss)
4.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1901 Rube Waddell (same)

: I said we weren’t all going to die yet. Some of us could still die before the finale!

Third Starter
1.) London Calling - 1903 Addie Joss (same)
2.) Rochester Generics - 1965 Juan Marichal (1923 Walter Johnson)
3.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1888 Old Hoss Radbourn (1904 Addie Joss)
4.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 2007 Roy Halladay (1875 Bobby Mathews)

: Oh, now we’re really at the end.

: We’ve got a great cloaking device, mind control, full shields, and up to 8 laser blasts at a time. We’re in good shape.

: Also, we’ve figured out that running with most of the ship open to space is a good way to stop boarding parties.

: I still don’t trust Bruzer on the door controls.

: He’ll be fine, I told him he gets bonus draft picks if he doesn’t actually touch anything.

: That’s still putting too much faith in him…

: Saddle up, friends! We’re gonna beat this boss like mediocre breaking stuff beats Jarred Kelenic!

Fourth Starter
1.) Rochester Generics - 1901 Christy Mathewson (1916 Christy Mathewson)
2.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1904 Addie Joss (1888 Old Hoss Radbourn)
3.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1965 Juan Marichal (1991 Greg Maddux)
4.) London Calling - 1902 Jack Powell (same)

: Hey, guys… uh. A little help?

Fifth Starter
1.) Rochester Generics - 1970 Tom Seaver (1927 Lefty Grove)
2.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 1976 Rick Reuschel (same)
3.) London Calling - 2002 Greg Maddux (same)
4.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 1970 Gaylord Perry (1976 Rick Reuschel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj1K-YJlPHk

: We got ‘em!

: I haven’t been happier since one of my Florida hockey teams won a playoff series, but also haven’t been sadder since one of my other Florida hockey teams lost a playoff series to the first of my Florida hockey teams… because it means that my journey with my friends is going to end.

: Let’s hold a quick tactics chat for the next stage of the boss fight in the shield room.

Bullpen
1.) Towa City Demon Hunters - 2003 Mariano Rivera/2010 Jonathan Papelbon/2016 Craig Kimbrel/1989 Rob Dibble/2002 John Smoltz/1974 Fergie Jenkins (- 2007 Roy Halladay)
2.) Rochester Generics - 1996 Trevor Hoffman/1998 Trevor Hoffman/2007 Hong-Chih Kuo/1978 Bruce Sutter/2012 Sergio Romo/1923 Walter Johnson (- 1970 Rollie Fingers, - 1882 Tim Keefe)
3.) London Calling - 2002 Trevor Hoffman, 1990 Roger Clemens/2002 John Smoltz #1/2002 John Smoltz #2/1990 Bret Saberhagen/1915 Ed Walsh (- 1988 Jeff Reardon, - 1990 Dennis Eckersley)[/b]
4.) Titanic Deck Chairs - 2015 Craig Kimbrell/The Elusive Closer/1973 Bob Locker/2009 Mike Adams/1983 Gary Lavelle/1982 Frank Tanana (same)

: Why are you leaving me in here with Bruzer?

: Sorry, current Super-Leaguers only.

: Wait, where’s that Rynhart guy?

: You fools! You overlooked the obvious! Now you will suffer as you’ve made me suffer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n_RqReeTlY

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You made it to sector 7 on only 3 engine bars and didn't bother spending any of your 50+ scrap to upgrade engines even with multiple rebel fleet fights ahead of you?! :psyduck:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

You made it to sector 7 on only 3 engine bars and didn't bother spending any of your 50+ scrap to upgrade engines even with multiple rebel fleet fights ahead of you?! :psyduck:

That spirit of incredulity you have right now?

That is what I feel about the Vae Victis division all the time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Smasher Dynamo posted:

To clarify what help I'm looking for:

I will still be running the save file, and will still ultimately put together the update. What the person receiving the file has to do is to take the necessary screenshots from the save file, and send it back to me.

What a person needs to do this is:

-Baseball Mogul 2013
-Irfanview
-AutoHotKey
-Some means of getting the images onto LPix, either via Rightload or ShareX.

We can do a stress test with Week 0 this weekend if people want to get a feel for how the process works and/or troubleshoot.

In the meantime, I will offer a Smasher Point for each divisional preview.

I can handle that. I'll get it put together on Saturday and I can run something Saturday night as a test.

I'm usually good to do *stuff* starting around 9 pm eastern any given night.
If I'm gonna procrastinate training then at least I can help someone else in the process.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I think my laptop still has everything set up on it, so I should be able to make screenshots

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I would also be able to be screenshot man

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Norris-Smythe Divisional Podcast! (featuring our good pal CirclMastr!

tl;dl: Rakers win, followed by a very close 3 way grouping for whogivesacrapyoudidn'twinthedivision.

cbx fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 3, 2022

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Anyone who wants to test out the script for taking screenshots should email me at smasherdynamo@gmail.com so that I can send you the save file.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

cbx posted:

Norris-Smythe Divisional Podcast! (featuring our good pal CirclMastr!

tl;dl: Rakers win, followed by a very close 3 way grouping for whogivesacrapyoudidn'twinthedivision.

This was cool and I enjoyed listening to it, thanks to you both!

I'm definitely surprised I had the only catcher platoon in the division. Dealing with personal catchers and having to remember who was set to what when changing the rotation just feels like so much micromanagement that's very easily avoided.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ice To Meet You posted:

I think my laptop still has everything set up on it, so I should be able to make screenshots

If anyone uses a Windows PC, I consider all these things (well, maybe not BBM 2013) essential. AutoHotkey is good stuff for anyone. It's banned in my current work environment (somebody did some stuff they shouldn't have with it and the quickest technical way to stop that behavior was to ban autohotkey via policy) and I miss it at work dearly.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Yeah I have all that stuff from the EC's I've done, iirc rightload wouldnt upload the calendars for some reason but if im only doing a handful of updates im fine just uploading those manually

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

I'm still holding the line regarding not starting the season until we get through the previews.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Super-League XXXII: Senor Goodtimes Division Preview

Super-League XXXII is upon us and I am finally working up the energy to write a preview. I struggled a lot about what to do considering we are in Super-League XXXII and there's only so many different ways to say, "Yeah Eddie Collins is pretty good at 2B, huh." Ultimately I think what I want to try with this format is instead of ranking individual positions, I'll go by Outfield/Infield/Rotation/Bullpen. Maybe it'll work, maybe it sucks rear end and I go back to the typical format next season.

The Senor Goodtimes! A lot has changed with this division, some of them Mogul related, one of them, uh, not Mogul related. Let's meet the teams.

Super-League XXXI marked the end of an era as the Portland Panderers, after several years of peer pressure from the rest of the league, finally challenged the Macho Men and made their way to Super-League Valhalla. Pander's new team, the Denver City Dumpster Kitties, has some familiar faces, as well as some incredibly unfamiliar ones. On paper it doesn't look good for them and they were unable to make picks in this season's Dispersal Draft for R E A S O N S, but underestimating Pander has a tendency to lead to disaster.

Under new ownership for R E A S O N S, the former OKC Bombers turned Oklahoma City Superstars have been bought up by venture capitalists. Much like most things bought up by venture capitalists, they have one year until all of their assets are dispersed, so this season is now or never for this core.

The other half of the Pander household in this division, it's JR Leap and the Eagle Creek Firebears. These plucky underdogs defied expectations last season and finished with a .500 record in a tough division. Can they make a play for the wildcard this year?

HulkaMatt and the Kobe Crows have ruined my life and will pay for their transgressions.

STARTING PITCHING
1) New Hoss Radbourn/1997 Pedro Martinez/1904 Rube Waddell/1880 George Bradley/2012 Clayton Kershaw (Crows)
2) 1915 Ed Walsh/1902 Deacon Phillippe/Joe Williams/1902 Joe McGinnity/1901 Christy Mathewson (Superstars)
3) 1900 Cy Young/1971 Don Sutton/1933 Lefty Grove/1992 Bret Saberhagen/1906 Frank Smith (Firebears)
4) 2013 Clayton Kershaw/1892 John Ward/1924 Dolf Luque/1924 Eppa Rixey/1942 Schoolboy Rowe (Dumpster Kitties)

What a strong rotation from the Crows here. Even ignoring the strength of their 2-5, if something like prime Kershaw is an ace in the hole, New Hoss is a gun that you shoot the other guy at the table with. The Superstars are going with a full deadball rotation while the Firebears aren't fully committed to it, employing Don Sutton and Bret Saberhagen. Pander has his trusted companion in Clayton Kershaw, and then a drastic tone shift from there, going deadball from there onwards. Pander's always found a way to get the best out of people, but I'm not believing. Also Schoolboy Rowe is somehow from 1942 and not 1887.

BULLPEN
1) 1874 Al Spalding/2012 Mariano Rivera/1984 Rich Gossage/1975 Al Hrabosky/Exodus Concannon/2008 Mariano Rivera (Crows)
2) 2017 Kenley Jansen/1990 Rob Dibble/1970 Rollie Fingers/2018 Sergio Romo/1987 John Franco/1933 Lefty Grove (Superstars)
3) 2001 Billy Wagner/2013 Luke Gregerson/2013 Huston Street/2013 Joe Thatcher/2013 Nick Vincent/1936 Curt Davis (Dumpster Kitties)
4) 1988 John Franco/2014 Joakim Soria/2014 Luis Avilan/1996 Stan Belinda/1995 John Smoltz/1991 Roger Clemens (Firebears)

The Crows take the top spot again here with the largest amount of people that I trust to not completely blow a lead, also Al Spalding, who I thought was a typo when I saw 1874 but it turns out that's like, the actual Spalding. Like, that's the guy who made the company, go figure. The Superstars are consistent but don't quite have the star power of double Mariano. Billy Wagner has a strong case for the best non-custom reliever in the league, as left-handers you can trust against Babe Ruth in later innings are a premium in the Super-League. The Firebears are okay??? Smoltz should probably be closing.

INFIELD
1) Buck Leonard (1B), 1986 Lou Whitaker/1985 Ryne Sandberg (2B), 1981 Ozzie Smith (SS), 1990 Wade Boggs (3B), 1934 Josh Gibson (C) (Crows)
2) 2005 Albert Pujols (1B), 1915 Eddie Collins (2B), 1938 Arky Vaughan (SS), 1987 Wade Boggs (3B), 1932 Bill Dickey (C) (Superstars)
3) 1924 Rube Bressler/1924 Lew Fonseca (1B), 1920 Eddie Collins (2B), 1942 Arky Vaughan (SS), 1892 Bill Joyce/1936 Pinky Whitney (3B), 1924 Bubbles Hargrave (C) (Dumpster Kitties)
4) 1922 George Sisler/2002 Paul Konerko (1B), 1918 Eddie Collins/1949 Jackie Robinson (2B), 1987 Cal Ripken (SS), 1918 Heinie Groh (3B), 1934 Mickey Cochrane/1922 Hank Severeid (C) (Firebears)

Triple Eddie Collins! Neat! This is very much a tale of two different tiers, as the Crows and Superstars are both very, very stacked. I'm going with the Crows over the Superstars because I am a loving dweeb who thinks Mogul Defense is important and the bat first, defense later aspect of all the Superstars infielders with their deadball pitching could come back to haunt them. The Firebears might be ahead of the Dumpster Kitties honestly, but 1. I admire Pander's undying loyalty towards Bubbles Hargrave, and 2. Eddie Collins and Mickey Cochrane are absolutely good enough to not have to platoon and I am ranking the Firebears last as an act of protest towards it. (Addendum: I have gotten to writing the Outfield/DH part and see Eddie Collins is part of a DH platoon. I refuse to re-write anything and my point about Cochrane still stands.)

OUTFIELD/DH
1) 1948 Stan Musial (LF), 1921 Oscar Charleston (CF), 1918 Babe Ruth (RF), 1994 Barry Bonds (DH) (Crows)
2) 1915 Joe Jackson (LF), 1912 Tris Speaker (CF), 1927 Babe Ruth (RF), 1999 Manny Ramirez (DH) (Superstars
3) 1922 Ken Williams/1918 Sherry Magee (LF), 1918 Edd Roush/1950 Carl Furillo (CF), 1960 Hank Aaron (RF), 1918 Joe Jackson/1918 Eddie Collins (DH) (Firebears)
4) 1942 Augie Galan/1942 Joe Medwick (LF), 1924 Edd Roush/1942 Augie Galan (CF), 1936 Chuck Klein/1892 Oyster Burns (RF), 1892 Dan Brouthers (DH) (Dumpster Kitties)

Advantage Crows on LF and DH, Superstars on CF, and push on RF. The gap between Musial/Jackson and Barrold/Manny is a lot larger than the gap between Speaker and Charleston, and you could even make a pretty convincing case that Charleston is better. The Firebears have a lot of good depth guys, but seeing them in the starting nine doesn't inspire confidence. Pander's hosed.

BENCHES
1) Crows: First season SL 13
2) Superstars: First season SL 27
3) Firebears: First season SL 29
4) Dumpster Kitties: First season SL 32

I refuse. I've given you all the info you need to know about the depth of the benches.

FINAL PREDICTIONS
1) Kobe Crows
2) Oklahoma City Superstars
3) Eagle Creek Firebears
4) Denver City Dumpster Kitties

The Crows have been a powerhouse in the Smasher League for a while now, and with their main rival gone it's hard to imagine anybody stopping them on their path to securing the best record in the Smasher League. The Superstars have a very strong offense that, barring any sort of tragedy among their deadballers, will have them in the thick of the wild card race. I don't think the Firebears will see the same amount of success as they saw in their .500 season last year, but JR Leap should sit pretty comfortably in third because, while Pander Magic is very much a thing, I don't think even Pander Magic is enough to save the Dumpster Kitties.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

SL XXXII Mark Bellhorn Preview: Requiescat in Dingers

Last season was a stand out for dingers, where the Machine Elves won the division by the length of a Barry Bonds home run. It would be a fitting end for their SL career, though they were defeated by the Panderers who would go on to meet their own destiny. As the Honkbal were demoted and Machine Elves, uh, went to a farm team upstate, that leave us to welcome two new teams to the division, though the old rivalry still remains.

The Khartoum Doom exist, the second oldest continuously extant team since SLX. They hit dingers. They have Ruth and Williams and Bonds and Foxx. Though their team’s strategy of bashing the ball out of the park has found more or less favor throughout the years, it’s still a lot of talent. They will not be denied (the right to hit dingers.) Semantic satiation is when a word is repeated until it loses all meaning. Dinger.

The kinda reverse Doom, the pseudo-anti-Dinger, the “kind of there too” team, the mostly-absent-and-under-trustee-control Akabira Killer Mikes. Having a marginally more successful season than their rivals, the Mikes snuck into the wild card round and then promptly got wrecked by the Panderers after swindling the Kobe Crows. They too field a Babe Ruth, and they have Mike Piazza and Hank Aaron, who theoretically hit dingers. In other respects though they have a lot of people who slap singles and the occasional double, like Cobb and Gehringer. More importantly, they’ve leaned into the high K club with their pitching. It may still serve them well, this blending of power pitching and somewhat power hitting. Part of the neverending struggle.

It’s...the Horny Goats???I have no idea what their deal is. They were in the SL, then got demolished, then somehow demolished their Sub-Par division to return to the Super-League. I’d normally say they’re gonna be sent right back, buuttttttttttttttttt...

Hey, it’s the adorable Center Line Sneki Sneks who won their EC finals and earned a place for a vicious beating in the Super-League proper! They’re so new that the plastic film on the touchable surfaces haven’t been removed, because that’s how you get fingerprint smudges all over the shiny chrome. They’ve got the talent to run rampant over the EC, but, uh, I’m not optimistic about them taking on two of the oldest teams in the SL. The logo is cute at any rate!

Since I did Bellhorn last season, let’s see how much I can recycle from that preview.

Catchers

1938 Bill Dickey / 1999 Mike Piazza (AKA)
1936 Bill Dickey / 1918 Wally Schang (KHA)
2004 Ivan Rodgriguez / 2002 Mike Piazza (CLS)
???? The FINAL DONSLAUGHT (HOR)

This is...okay? Bill Dickey is an underappreciated great who help mentor Yogi Berra and is perhaps one of the best pre-integration catchers, which considering the competition of Gabby Hartnett, Mickey Cochrane, and Ernie Lombardi...okay, that’s probably not the strongest accolade possible. But he’s good and Mogul likes him. Slightly older (but still prime) Dickey paired with Mike Pizza is better than younger paired with sort-of-there Schang. Pudge is one of the best catchers in history, and while it takes some advanced metrics to fully appreciate it, you should be peeved by the fact Mogul will give him like a .200 BA. Welp. I don’t know how to rank the FINAL DONSLAUGHT. He’s kind of not… a great catcher? He’s got power to spare, but he’s not really a contact hitter which limits his ability to get on base. He could be awesome! He could be terrible! So while he’s not technically last, he’s got the lowest floor and highest ceiling and can really land anywhere on this list! We’ll find out I suppose.

First Basemen

1942 Jimmie Foxx (KHA)
1902 Joe Kelley (AKA)
1928 George Grantham (HOR)
2004 Carlos Pena / 2002 Mike Piazza (CLS)

Jimmie Foxx is an old man in 1942, but he’s still Jimmie loving Foxx. Joe Kelley was 30 in 1902 which may as well be like 90. George Grantham was 28 and in his prime but his prime was kind of meh in a high offense world, so his stats are not as impressive as they appear. In 2004 Carlos Pena is Carlos Pena and that’s not gonna cut it no matter the age. All these players have flaws and have a decent chance of disappointment, with the sole exception of Carlos Pena because if you are running him in the Super-League you’ve already resigned yourself to that, so he’s a winner in that respect?

Second Basemen

1934 Charlie Gehringer (AKA)
1985 Lou Whitaker (CLS)
1974 Joe Morgan / 1951 Jackie Robinson (KHA)
1974 Rod Carew (HOR)

Hey, this is pretty decent! I like Gehringer more than Whitakers, because contact is somewhat more important than power in this current SL environment, and Whitaker has pop but less ability to put wood on ball. Joe Morgan was perhaps the best second baseman in the 70s. But the 70s are a dead decade for Mogul, and well, sucks to be Joe Morgan I guess. Rod Carew was probably the second best second baseman (heh) so, uh, that’s not looking great for the Goats. I do think this is also a position where people are apt to be disappointed.

Third Basemen

???? Nathan Detroit (CLS)
1986 Wade Boggs (AKA)
1982 George Brett (HOR)
2002 Scott Rolen (KHA)

Nathan Detroit? The good, old reliable Nathan? You ain’t heard of Nathan?? Oldest established floating hot corner player in town? He’ll draw a walk and hit a run, and he’ll get you there, which is a spot not in the divisional cellar! This entire line might be horribly oversold to induce you into making an unwise bet! A safer bet is Wade Boggs, but that’s like buying an index fund for your retirement, boring. George Brett was a guy who hit .390 a year or two back and had not quite peaked even now, but he’s still not better than reliable Boggs who still hits .300 season in and season out. Scott Rolen is an all-time top 10 third baseman who will eventually get elected. This means he’s essentially the guy you put into the lineup to make sure balls don’t trickle into left field while you get a .700 OPS and call it a day. Thus is the dilemma of the third baseman in the Super-League.

Shortstop

1941 Arky Vaughan (HOR)
???? Melissa Mayeaux / 1939 Luke Appling (KHA)
1905 Honus Wagner (CLS)
1983 Ozzie Smith (AKA)

This is a hard bunch to rank, to be honest. The easy part was putting Vaughan first, he’s probably one of the least appreciated shortstops since George Davis was completely forgotten by history. He’s not quite the MACHINE but he’s probably the last person to have won the BA title as a primary SS in a season since Honus Wagner, while also fielding quite well, thank you very much. Melissa Mayeaux is the MACHINE without the murderous intent or without the bat, and it’s a conscious choice to get super elite fielding in a defense premium position in a pitching rotation that kind of requires it. There’s enough firepower elsewhere in the lineup to cover, so it should be fine? Maybe??? Wagner is the greatest shortstop in the history of the game who will never get enough respect from Mogul for...reasons. At least he’ll hit an empty .275 while also swiping 50 bags over the course of a season. The kindest thing you could say about Ozzie Smith’s batting was that he got to league average enough to not be the worst hitter on his team, but that’s obviously not why you put him in your lineup. It is unclear that this much deference to the glove is necessary with the Mikes, but that’s who they have.

Left Fielders

1918 Babe Ruth (AKA)
1990 Barry Bonds / 1927 Riggs Stephenson (KHA)
1929 Al Simmons (HOR)
1965 Willie Mays (CLS)

A lot of players played out of position here! Ruth is Ruth, and who cares if he’s slightly less comfortable in LF than RF. Bonds with Riggs is an interesting platoon because I suspect it’s to prevent Bonds from dying prematurely, but as we all know, Bonds is fragile like a Swarovski crystal figurine, beautiful and delicate and apt to snap into pieces if you look at it funny. Aloysius Szymanski was an amazing contact hitter with so-so power. How that translates in the SL is highly variable! Willie Mays is a travesty in how he’s treated in Mogul. This was an MVP year in life, an amazing accomplishment with several highly productive years following this pinnacle of baseball achievement. Too bad he’ll hit .235 and largely sit around in LF being bored.

Center Fielders

1909 Ty Cobb (AKA)
1916 Ty Cobb (CLS)
1901 Bille Hamilton / 1957 Willie Mays (KHA)
1960 Willie Mays (HOR)

poo poo, I spent my angry rant about Millie Mays too early. Aight, well Ty Cobb will hit all the singles and doubles and steal all the bases so let’s put that to rest immediately, k? Prime aged is obviously better than babby one. Billy Hamilton might put up Cobb-esque numbers, but he’s also in anime grandfatherhood at 35 in 1901, so he might be a stand out player or he might break his tibia sliding into second and hit .240. :shrug: Mays might contribute decently when given the platoon advantage at least. Prime Mays should not be the last player on this list, but here we are, because Mogul is a loving disgrace when it comes to this era of the game.

Right Fielders

1925 Babe Ruth (CLS)
1918 Babe Ruth (KHA)
1928 Paul Waner (HOR)
1990 Tony Gwynn / 1960 Hank Aaron (AKA)

Are you making GBS threads me. Okay, nearly everyone in this division has a Ruth. Congratufuckinglations. The rankings speak for themselves, I will take no questions at this time. This press conference is over.

Designated Hitter

1946 Ted Williams (HOR)
1942 Ted Williams (KHA)
1921 Harry Heilmann (AKA)
1979 Oscar Gamble (CLS)

Are you really gonna make me do this? Fine. Williams is good. Prime Williams is better than babby pre-War Williams. Heilmann hits all the singles all the time...but so does Williams in a good season, and he’ll hit a million dingers too. Oscar Gamble had a fantastic year in ‘79! He even got on the Hall of Fame ballot after he retired and got zero votes, but even being nominated was an honor! Anyway he’s gonna get wrecked in the Super-League.

Bench
(N.b. platoon partners batting against LHP are listed here.)

Mays/Robinson/Schang/Stephenson/Appling (KHA)
Robinson/Trout/Piazza/Vaughan/Aaron (AKA)
Thomas/Mauer/Stephens/Wagner/Traynor (HOR)
Grubb/Bell/Piazza/Infante/Young (CLS)

These benches vary between “usable but not ideal” and “wut”. As long lived teams, both the Doom and Mikes will have enough people to throw at injuries/failures to thrive at them. I don’t agree with their choices but they’ve got reserves. The Goats have a usable bench, I guess? Wagner is fine at least. The Sneki have a “bench” in the sense that they’re players that can theoretically take the field, but at this level a cardboard cutout would likely not be any worse. Such is life as an EC team, particularly one that purchased an expensive feeder with no depth. But...hey, that’s the price of a Ruth.

Starting Pitching

Waddell/Dihigo/Alexander/Plank/Old Hoss (KHA)
Smith/Marichal/Seaver/Koufax/Dean (AKA)
Mathewson/Old Hoss/Leever/Mathews/Phillippe (HOR)
Johnson/Mathewson/Jenkins/Matlack/Darvish (CLS)

This isn’t really a ranking so much as a “which team most reasonably realizes a coherent pitching strat,” and that belongs to the Doom who have all-time great deadballers. Dihigo has to be created but that’s fine wedged between Rube Waddell and Pete Alexander.The Mikes have a decent number of high K pitching, though relying on Hilton Smith is kind of risky. And I’m not quite sold on Koufax’s control. The Goats have a better team than the rankings indicate, but it’s all-time great deadballers and then no-namers. At least it’s consistent? The Sneki have Walt Johnson and Christy Mathewson, then...Jenkins? Matlack? Darvish? Eh, it’ll be fineeeeeeeeeeeee.

Bullpens
[In order of CL/SU/SR/SR/MR/LR]

Hoffman/Hoffman/Papelbon/Henke/Eckersley/Carlton (AKA)
Papelbon/Neshek/Brown/Hughson/Nathan/Adams (HOR)
Soria/Henke/Doolittle/Eckersley/Matlack/Marichal (KHA)
Benitez/Urbina/Darwin/Andersen/Ellis/Alexander (CLS)
First, I’m a little disturbed by the lack of lefties in here, though while I was writing this up it was noted in the Discord channel that there’s a general paucity of decent lefty relievers, so perhaps this is simply a matter of doing the best you can. Yes, I definitely recycled this line wholesale from the other preview I did. The Killer Mikes have a fantastic bullpen. You can argue whether I’ve gotten the Doom or the Horny Goats in the right order, but I like Papelbon/Neshek better than Soria/Hencke, though Doolittle is a sleeper lefty reliever who probably will do good work for the Doom, and the fact he’s a legit lefty reliever is a rarity in of itself. The nicest thing I can say for the Sneki bullpen is that they’re actual relievers. That’s not the worst thing given what EC graduates usually have, but it’s not a ringing endorsement either.

Errata and Conclusion
Now this is a division that really fucks around with their stadiums. The Doom play in a bandbox nestled on a modestly high plateau. The Killer Mikes live in a schizophrenic stadium that has short right field porch but tries to suppress dingers as a whole? The Snekis have a modestly power hitting boosted stadium, but nothing outrageous. Same with the Goats, though I’m not sure it’s to the Goats’ advantage.

Anyway! The Mikes and Doom will engage in a war for the division; it’s too close to call, the balance between the two lies on knife’s edge. The Horny Goats will get trampled but will be less trampled than the Sneki Snakes. Well, at least the Sneki Snakes will get at least another season.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 14, 2022

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

We still need Sub-Par Previews.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

We still need Sub-Par Previews.

Which div?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

So far none of them are posted, all but royal are claimed. I'm working on Humboldt atm but I'm nowhere near done and my power's out if you want to do one other than the royal

Jampact
Jun 3, 2008
Hi Pungry! So sorry my husband is an idiot and used an old CSV/player list. This is the correct one.

Lineup v Both
2B Morgan
SS Rodriguez
LF El Shaddai
RF Musial
DH Martinez
1B Olerud
C Piazza
3B Schmidt
CF Davis

Pitching
SP Martinez
SP Kershaw
SP Waddell
SP Mays
SP Young

CL Kimbrel
SU Chapman
SR K-Rod
SR Smith
MR Sutter
LR Scherzer

Bench
2B Cano
SS Ripken
OF Walker
C Carter
OF Murphy

Neutral sliders, play in Petco, everyone else on the CSV not listed above is in the minors.

code:
molinya01,2014
cabremi01,2014
sandbry01,1984
tulowtr01,2014
schmimi01,1984
cruzne02,2014
gwynnto01,1984
murphda05,1984
suzukic01,2003
martied01,2001
larkiba01,1990
daviser01,1990
cartega01,1984
donaljo02,2014
kershcl01,2014
bumgama01,2014
buehrma01,2014
scherma01,2014
goodedw01,1984
kimbrcr01,2014
chapmar01,2014
doolise01,2014
rodrifr03,2014
ueharko01,2014
salech01,2014
olerujo01,2001
canoro01,2014
hernafe02,2014
suttebr01,1984
o'neipa01,1990
musiast01,1944
fernajo02,2016
roberro01,1948
trammal01,1990
schanwa01,1915
manushe01,1933
doerrbo01,1942
olerujo01,2002
martipe02,1999
rodrial01,2000
piazzmi01,1996
morgajo02,1974
greinza01,2012
parrila02,1985
hoffmtr01,1993
smithle02,1982
simmoal01,1929
simmote01,1982
gracema01,1995
maysca01,1919
hoopeha01,1919
ripkeca01,1991
wadderu01,1902
youngcy01,1908
walkela01,2002
isrinja01,2003
ERROR: Year not found in "El Shaddai".

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Humboldt Division preview

somehow we got 2 llama low effort previews in the same season. It's a shock to everyone, but lets see how the humboldt divison goes. So, normally I try to sugar coat it a little bit more, but frankly I'd be shocked if anyone but the Nethyr Zephyrs or San Lorenzo Bokononists win it this time...with a tiny caveat that's gonna get it's own section. It's not a “oh the other three teams are terrible”, they're actually pretty solid for reasonably, it's just that we have two superweapons in a divison of solid EC. The Sea Goats and Misanthropes have really good parts of a team along with, well, a massive gaping hole somewhere. Then there are the Corgis. The Corgis have a roster post that's batshit insane. Their roster post is just position, last name. No years, no “hey there are like 3 dudes who could be LFers named Ramirez, might want to make it clear which one, so you have to go down to the CSV and WHOOPS there are like 7 names in the roster that just don't exist, along with a number of names that clearly should be rostered like Stan Musial or Pedro martinez who just aren't. As the roster post has yet to be fixed, I'm just gonna go off who's said instead of who clearly should be playing there. This is going to make the corgis look way worse than they should be because they're somehow all replacing better players in the minors with way worse dudes. The lack of ages and my frustration with the roster post also means that I refuse to look up ages, so I'm going to assume relatively prime, but again, this is a blind loving guess. EDIT: I actually put off finishing this preview so long it got fixed. Good for the corgis.

Catcher:
1: 1949 Yogi Berra (Seagoats)
2: 1937 Bill Dickey (Bokonists)
3: 1969 Joe Torre (Misanthropes)
4: 1979 Ted Simmons (Zephyrs)
5: Mike Piazza (Corgis)

Yogi Berra is really good. Takes walks, hits for midrange power, plays good defense and hits enough for contact even if you'd like a little bit more. Dickey is a safer catcher than berra in the sense that he's almost certainly going to hit for a better average, but in all other aspects Yogi just outclasses him. Joe Torre, Ted Simmons and Mike Piazza all fall into the category of “IRL, they caught decently enough to not get forced off the position, and were good hitters! (for catchers). In an SL context, this means that there not gonna be trash fires behind the plate, but not particularly good, and the bat will be playable for a catcher, but you're still hoping for like, 275 average .300 OBP most of the time. The longer I've been in the league the less I've liked this flavor of catcher TBH. Torre's over simmons mostly out of higher contact = higher chance to not totally poo poo the bed. Piazza's in last mostly because I hate his defense more than torre or simmons and he's not gonna hit better enough to overcome that.

First Base
1: 1937 Lou Gehrig (Bokonists)
2: 1942 Jimmie Foxx (Zephyrs)
3: Olerud (Corgis)
4: 1916 Jack Fournier (Misanthropes)
5: 1995 Jason Giambi / 1995 Mark McGwire??? (Seagoats)

Lou is in his last great IRL season in 37, and mogul doesn't 100% understand “retired in 39 because of a deadly disease and not him just suddenly sucking” so he's not gonna be as good as prime Gehrig, but he's still the easy class of the bunch here. Foxx is pretty hard into the booze by 42, but he's still probably the best right handed 1B option for most teams not running some kind of crazy contact gimmick. Olerud will hit for decent contact, midrange power, play good 1B defense and run the bases slower than anyone has in history. He's fine, but not world class. Fournier is a deadball 1B, which means no power, reasonably good contact and speed, but frankly outside of a specific speed gimmick you can do better. Rookie Giambi just isn't gonna loving hit. McGwire will also struggle to reach the mendoza line, but he'll at least walk a bunch and hit like 20 bombs. Also, check your roster, because atm you have mcgwire both in a 1B platoon and in the minors, and that's not a thing you can do.

Second Base
1: 1916 Eddie Collins (Misanthropes)
2: 1906 Eddie Collins (Bokonists)
3: 1977 Joe Morgan (Zephyrs)
4: Joe Morgan (Corgis)
5: 1930 Buddy Myer (Seagoats)

So it turns out that Eddie Collins is really loving good. Insane contact for a SL middle infielder, good eye, speed and can mostly play 2B. Prime is better than way too young, who might age bug everyone down to “only good contact and meh eye” which would still probably take spots 2 and 3 in this group. Joe Morgan doesn't really hit for a ton of contact, and probably wants a caddy v left because of both his age and his struggles vs left handed pitching, but he brings a great eye, solid VR power and great defense. I'm not gonna go full hot take and say he's better than collins, but I do think he's better than Whitaker. Corgi's Morgan is probably a better aged one than craig's but no ages mean losing tiebreakers. Buddy Myer exists. He's the “whoops it's the 4th round and I don't have a 2B and all the good dudes are gone, who I can take to stick there. Not terrible at anything, not great at it either.

Shortstop
1: Alex Rodriguez (Corgis)
2: 1907 Honus Wagner (Misanthropes)
3: 1986 Cal Ripken (Bokonists)
4: 1992 Cal Ripken (Zephyrs)
5: 2001 Derek Jeter / 1930 Joe Cronin Platoon (Seagoats)

A complicated group. Conceptually I like Wagner the most, but he's got a bunch of reasonably groundball pitchers behind him, and he's getting slightly old (but still young by wagner standards). Cal Ripken is just the league generic “he exists, he plays defense and he almost hits. A-rod probably isn't the best but he's different and I respect that. Do not start jeets at SS. Jeets is bad, and cronin should probably start full time even if he literally had a pitcher revolt and walk off the field because of his defensive misplays.

Left Field
1: El Shaddai (Corgis)
2: 1926 Babe Ruth (Zephyrs)
3: 1995 Rickey Henderson / 1947 Stan Musial platoon (Seagoats)
4: 1900 Joe Kelley (Bokonists)
5: 1916 Shoeless Joe Jackson (Misanthropes)

Honestly, great group all around. God gets first place over Ruth, but it's real close. Rickey Musial is a weird platoon, but it's more to keep Gary Sheffield out of RF full time, which I can respect. In a world where shoeless joe doesn't get age bugged like he does every year he'd be over kelley, but we live in the real world and not a fantasy one where shoeless joe won't get age bugged.

Center Field
1: 1912 Tris Speaker (Bokonists)
2: 1924 Tris Speaker (Zephyrs)
3: 1957 Mickey Mantle (Misanthropes)
4: 1964 Mickey Mantle / 1991 Kirby Puckett Platoon (Seagoats)
5: Eric Davis (corgis)

Speaker's the best CF in the league with only cobb really coming anywhere near close. Contact, defense, eye, enough power to not be totally toothless, and god willing the bokonist's prime one doesn't get age bugged to hell by craigs. Mickey Mantle is controversial in the SL. And by controversial, I mean basically none of the top teams use him and honestly almost everyone hates him but me. I understand why, he's very contact limited and doesn't bring enough world class defense along to be worth using if he's not hitting....buuut he hits bombs and walks in a postion that's otherwise “get one of the two most expensive players or accept that they're kinda gonna suck” and that's valuable. Primer one over no knees platooned with mr glaucoma. Eric Davis just isn't gonna hit, he's VL platoon bat only and not amazing at that.

Right Field
1: Stan Musial (Corgis)
2: 1947 Stan Musial / 1995 Gary Sheffield (Seagoats)
3: 1959 Hank Aaron (Zephyrs)
4: 1900 Willie Keeler (Bokonists)
5: 2003 Vladimir Guerrero (misanthropes)

Musial is good. Musial + sheff so rickey doesn't have to face lefties is weird, but still pretty solid. Hank Aaron is never as good as you'd think he'd be, but he'll hit for power and walk some. Keeler hits nothing but singles, but he hits a ton of them. Vlad...exists and probably should get a lefty to be the small spoon for.

Designated Hitter
1: 1886 Dan Brouthers (Seagoats)
2: 1920 Rogers Hornsby (Zephyrs)
3: 1937 Johhny Mize (Bokonists)
4: Edgar Martinez (Corgis)
5: 2001 Brian Giles (Misanthropes)

Dan Brouthers is pretty loving great. Not ideal power for a DH, but he's gonna run, he's gonna hit for insane contact and he's gonna walk, all without having to play defense at all because he's real loving bad at that. Hornsby fits most of the same profile, with more power and less speed, and also righty. I'm not the hugest fan of him at DH, because a lot of his value is “I can actually hit at a position where no one can actually hit in 2B” vs DH where everyone can hit, but he's still good at it so w/e. IRL Mize was real young in 37, even if he was about to start a 4 year span of being probably the best hitter in the national league. Unfortunately, I fear “mogul hating 24 year olds in their sophomore season” more than I like mize's bet to overcome that. Edgar's fine. Deserved HOFer, but not as good as the 3 over him. Brian Giles is not good enough to DH, even in the subpar. This will need to be improved.

Bench
Unfortunately, do to corgi related rewrite costs, the benches section had to be cut from this preview. It's a subpar division so I feel safe in saying 2 of the benches were probably fine, one would be if weren't missing one out of the following positions C/SS/CF, and the last two are probably trash.

Pitching Rotation
1: Alexander/Waddell/Joss/McGinnity/Wood (Bokonists)
2: Maddux/Ward/Cummings/Bond/Plank (Zephyrs)
3:Martinez/Kershaw/Waddell/Mays/Cy Old (Corgis)
4: Walsh/Ryan/Bender/Clemens/Scott (Misanthropes)
5: Mets + Don Newcombe (Seagoats)

In order, elite deadball rotation, mostly pre-deadball in front of a defense that can take advantage of it, 2 good modern strikeout pitchers, a solid deadballer and then generic deadballers, Walsh and prayers, and modern mets and don newcombe, which I respect the hell out of, but have absolutely 0 faith in being effective.

Bullpen
??????

Final Thoughts
drat the corgis are actually pretty good. Probably going to be fighting with the Zephyrs and the Bokonists for first, while the Seagoats and Misanthropes fight to see who gets relegated first.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Sub-Par League: Royal Division Half-Assed Preview!

I put my name down for a preview and then *wham* my job started dominating my mental health. Serves me right for getting paid a grown-up wage, eh? Anyways. I'm gonna toss the teams on here, give a few quick observations, and then toss out a final prediction. Here we go!

In this division, we've got shepard's Garreg Mach Golden Deer, which is some sort of game reference, right? Right? I'm hip, I'm "with it". Jiggity. Next, it's the Luna Landers, helmed by mrnoun. Prog rock never dies! After that, we have Beet's Saudi Steamrollers. Y'know, I bet if we investigated, we could really get to the bottom of this attempted sportswashing... Next, we have the Camden Buzzsaws, led by Clown Fundamentals, who I am told is a cousin to Cash Considerations. Would have to check the genealogy chart on that one. Finally, it's,the,Fighting,CSVs,of,johnfw50. Comma Separated Values are at the heart of this league, if you think about it. Anyways, let's begin.

First Base
1: Saudi's Jimmie Foxx
2: Luna's John Olerud
3: Camden's Ernie Banks
4: Garreg's Harry Heilmann
5: CSV's McGriff/Bagwell Platoon

Foxx and Olerud are really the only natural 1Bs here, and Foxx hits for more power/more OPS on average. He gets the nod over Olerud for me. I favored Banks out of the final 3 due to his slightly more favorable batting stats through his career as opposed to Heilmann who was a high BA OF with not much else, and McGriff/Bagwell, neither of which have ever been very good in the Mogul engine when compared to their contemporaries.

Second Base
1: Saudi's Gehringer/Sandberg platoon
2: CSV's 1924 Rogers Hornsby
3: Camden's 1926 Hornsby
4: Luna's Whitaker/Grich platoon
5: Garreg's 1980 Lou Whitaker

I tried REALLY HARD not to let my Tigers/Gehringer homerism rule the day here and color my judgement, but I only partially failed. Gehringer/Sandberg is a good platoon to run and offers a more rounded, fool-proof 2B solution with more talent than the other teams have. Next is a closer to prime, if not prime, Rogers Hornsby for that excellent bat and not much else. The Buzzsaw's slightly older Hornsby is next, then the Landers with their Lou Whitaker/Bobby Grich platoon. I love Sweet Lou but I realize he's not the top notch talent in Mogul that I wish he was. Having Grich as his small spoon takes some pressure off, and as such, is a better option than a baby Lou straight up. Sorry Garreg. Sorry Lou.

Shortstop
1: Garreg's A Masked Shortstop
2: Saudi's Vern Stephens
3: Luna's Joe Cronin
4: Camden's Cal Ripken Jr
5: CSV's Cal Ripken Jr

I give the nod here to the custom Masked Shortstop while full well knowing that his foundation is subject to the whims of Mogul. Stephens and Cronin are almost a coin flip, but not quite. I'll give the edge to Stephens. After that, it's a battle of the Iron Men, and I'll take a near-prime Cal over a babby Cal. That's just the way it is.

Third Base
1: Luna's Mathews/Kell platoon
2: Saudi's Brett/Rosen platoon
3: Camden's Chipper Jones
4: Garreg's George Kell
5: CSV's Chipper Jones

A Mathews/Kell platoon only has 2 downfalls, and both are on Eddie. High Ks, weak defense. Having Kell to offset that part of the time definitely helps. After that, former #1 pick George Brett is stuck with Al Rosen in a platoon and will carry his butt all season. Chipper Jones is disappointing, both in real life and in Mogul, but in 2002, is a little better than the singular Kell, and then we have another babby Chipchip to bring up the rear.

Catcher
1: Luna's Cochrane/Hartnett platoon
2: Saudi's Cochrane/T.Simmons platoon
3: Camden's Berra/Lopez platoon
4: Garreg's Bresnahan/Cooper platoon
5: CSV's Piazza/Biggio platoon

I'm using platoon loosely here, everyone. This includes personal catching orders which aren't strictly platoons in the true sense of the word. Anyways. Mickey Cochrane is the standout catcher in this group, and I like him with Gabby Hartnett a tiny bit more than I like him with Ted Simmons, so Luna is 1, then Saudi. After that, I'm partial to Yogi and Javy Lopez, so Camden 3. For the remaining positions, I like how Mogul treats the older catchers better than modern catchers, so Garreg Mach gets the nod over the CSVs.

Designated Hitter
1: Luna's Jimmie Foxx
2: CSV's Barry Bonds the Elder
3: Camden's Albert Pujols
4: Saudi's Barry Bonds the Younger
5: Garreg's Edgar Martinez

This one is tricky. I'm giving Foxx the nod even though I know that Bonds is capable of better seasons. My knocks against Bonds are that Mogul thinks he's soft and knows he's modern. Even so, a prime Bonds will get the nod over a slightly older than prime Pujols, who profiles almost the same as a Foxx. More power, but less overall OBP. Young Barry is still Barry, but prone to larger uncertainty. And then there's Edgar. Nothing against him, I just think that every other DH in this division is better in some way.

Left Field
1: Luna's Ted Williams
2: Garreg's Al Simmons
3: Camden's Babby Bonds
4: Saudi's Gary Sheffield
5: CSV's Tim Raines

Ted Williams is a stud. Al Simmons is cool and good. Babby Bonds is babby, but still Bonds. Sheffield was a Tiger at the end of his career. Raines is a weather condition.

Center Field
1: Saudi's Tris Speaker
2: CSV's Mazus Merciless
3: Luna's Joe DiMaggio
4: Camden's Willie Mays the Elder
5: Garreg's Willie Mays the Younger

This Tris, this Tris! Impeccable. 31 isn't too old to patrol CF. I'm gonna go with the created player next, then the Hit Streak himself, Joe DiMaggio. Has quietly good seasons. If Willie Mays actually performed in Mogul like he did in reality, these rankings would be flipped entirely. Alas. Closer to prime Mays gets the nod over the young'un.

Right Field
1: Luna's Ott/Robinson platoon
2: Garreg's Frank Robinson
3: CSV's Frank Robinson
4: Camden's Hank Aaron
5: Saudi's Manny Ramirez

Should rename this division the Frank Robinson Memorial Division. I'm giving the edge to the Ott/Robinson platoon but only because I share a birthday with Mel Ott. After that, it's the near prime Robinson, followed by the 30 year old Robinson. Hank Aaron deserves to be higher but Mogul hates him almost as much as it hates Mays. Manny is Manny but still isn't at the level of these other guys.

Benches
1: Saudi Steamrollers
2: Garreg Mach Golden Deers
3: Luna Landers
4: Camden Buzzsaw
5: Fighting,CSVs

Almost forgot the benches. Rule of thumb is, the longer you're in the Super League/Sub-Par League, the more likely it is that you have a good bench, because it's all about depth. This plays out for the most part here, EXCEPT, that I slightly like the Golden Deers' bench a little better than the Landers.

Pedro Martinez Memorial Rotation Preview
1: Saudi's Dean/Waddell/McCormick/Hahn/Alexander
2: CSV's Joss/Young/Martinez/Madduz/Koufax
3: Luna's Martinez/Waddell/Reuschel/Vance/Gibson
4: Garreg's Martinez/Marichal/Joss/Johnson/Brown
5: Camden's Maddux/Alexander/Roberts/Glavine/Wood

This is a tough one. For the money, I think that Beet has a handle on how to best work with his defense/stadium combo. Dizzy Dean is not an SP1 for anyone else but Beet. CSV's have a good game plan as well, but their offense better be clicking because there's gonna be a lot of balls in play against their defense, and law of averages states that more balls in play leads to more runs allowed. mrnoun is the Reuschel godfather, and always seems to be able to cobble together a functioning rotation no matter how things go for him from season to season. shepard's rotation is 3 dudes, a Marichal and a Brown, but is still pretty damned good. Camden needed a younger Pete Alexander to move higher up the list, as the 02 Maddux/Glavine tandem isn't going to be as powerful in the Sub-Par league as they were in the MLB.

Bullpens
1: Luna Landers
2: Garreg Mach Golden Deers
3: Camden Buzzsaw
4: Saudi Steamrollers
5: Fighting,CSVs

Luna has a full bullpen. Good relievers in every position except maybe long reliever. Garreg Mach is doing alright as well, but I'm not sure Slim Sallee is the best choice at short relief. Camden is just slightly below Garreg Mach, because while I love John Hiller and your Smoltzes should be sufficient, the other half of your bullpen is dread-inducing. Beet... this area should be your focus during the upcoming draft. Jim Kaat is not a reliever, damnit! And CSVs... You actually have some decent starters masquerading in your bullpen. Too bad you only have one real bullpen arm in your bullpen. Get Soria some drat help! Do some trades! LEVERAGE THIS AREA OF STRENGTH!

Conclusion:
Luna Landers - 24
Saudi Steamrollers - 28
Garreg Mach Golden Deers - 40
Camden Buzzsaw - 45
The,Fighting,CSVs - 46

Using my super elaborate scoring system, where the lowest totals denote the higher rankings, I've come to the conclusion that mrnoun and Beet are gonna slug it out for the division title and a wild card spot, while the other three teams will be decent and enter the upper levels of the Repechage. Betting money is on the Landers to win the Sub-Par league outright.

Advice?
Alright owners, heed my words closely. Beet, please look into upgrading your bullpen. johnfw50, same. That Brown probably should be pressed into starting duty, if I'm honest. Maybe try to swing a trade with a Sub-Par team that's low on SP depth? Clown Fundamentals, I think you could also use a bullpen upgrade or two, and some more IF depth wouldn't hurt. shepard: CF and replacing Marichal should be your focuses. I hate that Willie Mays doesn't work, otherwise you'd be set there. mrnoun: gently caress, you know what you're doing and you know more than I do when it comes to this. I don't think I could offer any advice to you at this point.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

SUB-PAR SEASON 19: THE FALKLAND DIVISION

EC Record: 73-89
EC Pythagorean Record: 80-82

Hiram Bithhorn Stadium
Elevation: 26 feet
Surface: Grass
Dimensions: 325-380-400-380-325
Grass Length: Very Short
Foul Grounds: Average
Offseason Additions:
1964 Jim Bunning
2010 Roy Halladay
1968 Catfish Hunter
1921 Joe Wood
1905 Ty Cobb
2018 Zach Britton
1996 Greg Maddux
1929 Jimmie Foxx
1901 Jesse Burkett
1976 Rod Carew
1960 Ernie Banks
1998 Randy Myers

OTF scotched the prior version of the Senadores and opted into the EC, after which he was promptly afflicted with trade madness. First he traded down from 6th to 8th in exchange for Halladay and a pair of depth arms. Then he traded that 8th pick for Baby Ty Cobb, Joe Wood, Zach Britton, and a pick that would turn into Ernie Banks. Finally, he traded #36 overall for Jesse Burkett and Rod Carew. It remains to be seen if any of this was a good idea.

EC Record: 59-103
EC Pythagorean Record: 59-103

Unnamed Stadium
Elevation: 719 Feet
Structure: ?
Surface: ?
Dimensions: 330-375-404-372-330
Infield Quality: ?
Infield Grass Height: ?
Visibility: ?
Foul Ground: ?
Offseason Additions:
1912 Joe Wood
1996 Mike Piazza
2012 Albert Pujols
1927 Al Simmons
1996 Tony Gwynn
1921 Riggs Stephenson
1951 Yogi Berra
1987 Barry Bonds
1958 Ernie Banks
1991 Randy Johnson
1964 Jim Kaat
1933 Riggs Stephenson
1974 Bert Blyleven
1913 Jim Thorpe

Tadashi followed up an impressive tank job in the EC with a trade that sent off the #1 overall pick for a bunch of guys who are average to below average Super League quality players. On the one hand, it did significantly improve the floor for team. On the other, star players are extremely hard to find and it would have probably better to take a superstar player. As a result of the trade, mentholmoose spited God by not picking Him #1 overall, and the Curse of El-Shaddai caused him to spontaneously combust. Also, uh, he has a phantom David Ortiz on his bench who is not in the csv he posted.

SPL19 Record: 84-78
SPL19 Pythagorean Record: 79-83

Coors Field
Elevation: 5,223 feet
Dimensions: 347-390-415-375-350
Grass Length: Short
Infield Quality: Good
Foul Ground: Small
Players Added:
1974 Johnny Bench
2001 Jeff Bagwell

KFG survived his first season as a newbie, finishing with the 4th best record in the Emperor League and avoiding the gauntlet. He’ll look to consolidate on that performance, nab a solid first round draft pick, and get himself promoted in year two.

SPL19 Record: 77-85
SPL19 Pythagorean Record: 85-77

Wawel Castle, Krakow, MO
Elevation: 768 feet
Dimensions: 320-360-400-400-400
Grass Length: Average
Players Added:
1975 George Brett
1905 Roy Patterson

Deadford’s back, and in the same division as his old team, the Winnipeg neé Krakow Virtue ex Dragons! He was unlucky last season, but survived the Gauntlet to return after adding a George Brett to what should be a contender for the playoffs. Interestingly, the Dragons are the one team in this division that uses a park slanted towards a platoon advantage. Righties will feast on that 360 foot power alley while lefties will lament 390 foot outs to the right field corner.

SPL19 Record: 89-73
SPL19 Pythagorean Record: 83-79

Rogers Stadium
Elevation: 784 feet
Surface: Artificial Turf
Dimensions: 328-375-400-375-328
Players Added:
1930 Rogers Hornsby
1993 Gary Sheffield

The Virtue-Monarch-Dragons have something like three times the number of seasons under their belts as the rest of the division combined, if you count Expansion Cups as a season the rest of the group have managed to survive 6 seasons while Winnipeg’s own were founded prior to Season 14 back in. Back then they introduced the Super League to one New Hoss Radbourn. It was 2014, and God help us all but it was somehow a more optimistic time.

Catcher
Winnipeg Virtue - 1934 Josh Gibson

Krakow Dragons - 1997 Mike Piazza/1943 Ernie Lombardi
Al Centrists - 1996 Mike Piazza
San Juan Senadores - 1974 Ted Simmons
Buntsville Bastards - 1974 Johnny Bench

Josh Gibson laps this field, especially if he’s built akin to last season’s model that knocked 38 dingers with 141 RBI while toting a .351 batting average. Mike Piazza is the second best hitting catcher in baseball history after Gibson, but he’s fairly modern and struck out so who cares that across 1996 and 1997 he hit roughly .350. Meanwhile, Johnny Bench is in the argument for greatest catcher of all time, and Mogul hates him too. It’s tough out there for the greats.

First Base
San Juan Senadores - 1929 Jimmie Foxx

Al Centrists - 2012 Albert Pujols
Krakow Dragons - 1922 George Sisler/2012 Albert Pujols
Winnipeg Virtue - 1934 Hank Greenberg
Buntsville Bastards - 2001 Jeff Bagwell

Double X is all of 21 years old in 1929, and hits the snot out of the ball. He’s in the running for best right handed hitter in the Super League. Plus, he can still handle third base without completely embarrassing himself at this point!

Jeff Bagwell is a pretty good choice for the archetypal player that Mogul underrates, since he struck out a lot. It’s why he ends up with seasons like his Season 26 tour with the Deck Chairs where he slashed an unplayable .208/.291/.325. He’s also getting long in the tooth by 2001.

Also, I dislike George Sisler. Let Pujols hit!

Second Base
Buntsville Bastards - 1950 Jackie Robinson

San Juan Senadores - 1974 Joe Morgan
Krakow Dragons - 1935 Buddy Myer/1942 Bobby Doerr
Winnipeg Virtue - 2009 Robinson Cano
Al Centrists - 1921 Riggs Stephenson

Jackie Robinson rules, and I’m ranking him first because of that. Joe Morgan is probably the best 2B of all time in real life, and may be an even better choice as the archetypal player Mogul underrates. Because he only hit .271 for his career, Mogul thinks he’s garbage at the plate compared to rabbitball era players like Riggs and Myer. Cano ideally has a platoon partner to spot him against lefties, but is still pretty good with solid pop and defense! Also, the Centrists have two Riggs Stephensi, I’m assuming the baby one is the starter.

Third Base
Winnipeg Virtue - 1994 Wade Boggs

Krakow Dragons - 1975 George Brett/1965 Ron Santo
San Juan Senadores - 2009 Alex Rodriguez
Buntsville Bastards - 1982 Paul Molitor
Al Centrists - 1942 Luke Appling

Boggs, even old Boggs, is the best 3rd baseman in the league at the plate. That edges him over the Brett/Santo platoon, though if Boggs gets run down over the course of the season the Dragons might get more out of their platoon. A-Rod is a solid 3B choice at a position that doesn’t have many solid choices.

Meanwhile, Luke Appling is not a 3rd baseman. He played 88 games there during his entire career, and didn’t play an inning at 3B from 1933 through 1947. Mogul does not like players playing at positions they didn’t play in real life, so even though Appling would have been able to play 3B in real life here he’ll be an armless statue. At least he’ll hit for average and OBP while costing you 40 runs in the field.

Shortstop
Al Centrists - 1958 Ernie Banks

Winnipeg Virtue - 1935 Joe Cronin
Krakow Dragons - 1933 Joe Cronin
Buntsville Bastards - 1982 Robin Yount
San Juan Senadores - 2009 Derek Jeter

Ernie Banks can still play shortstop perfectly fine at 27 years old, and will give you some pop to go along with it. The Cronins and Yount provide similar experiences, a chance for a plus offensive season to go along with the ability to handle shortstop. Derek Jeter, on the other hand, should not be a starting shortstop, especially at the age of 35, and especially considering who the Senadores have on their bench.

Left Field
Buntsville Bastards - 1918 Babe Ruth

Winnipeg Virtue - 1997 Barry Bonds
Al Centrists - 1987 Barry Bonds
Krakow Dragons - 1932 Chuck Klein/1949 Ralph Kiner
San Juan Senadores - 1974 Pete Rose

I have very little to say here except that the 1987 Bonds might deserve second place due to being able to play CF at that point in his career.

Center Field
San Juan Senadores - 1905 Ty Cobb

Winnipeg Virtue - 1965 Willie Mays
Krakow Dragons - 1989 Rickey Henderson
Al Centrists - 1927 Al Simmons
Buntsville Bastards - 1926 Al Simmons

Cobb, even baby Cobb, is one of the two best options in Mogul at centerfield along with Speaker. But the perfidious Winnipeg “Virtue” have rostered a 1924 Ty Cobb. If Cobb is age bugged he’ll fall off a fair amount. After Cobb comes Mays, who has a strong argument for best player of all time when accounting for defense and position… and who Mogul deems to be a merely OK player. Rickey comes next, because I like Rickey, and while he’s stretched at CF so are the Simmonseses.

Right Field
Buntsville Bastards - 1934 Mel Ott

Krakow Dragons - 1960 Hank Aaron
Al Centrists - 1996 Tony Gwynn
Winnipeg Virtue - 1964 Roberto Clemente
San Juan Senadores - 1974 Hank Aaron

1974 Hank Aaron will be the oldest Aaron to ever appear in a Super or Sub-Par game. So there’s that. Assuming he doesn’t age bug his younger self, the 1964 version will sock a whole lot of dingers. He still probably won’t outperform Ott. Meanwhile, 1996 Tony Gwynn will probably need some rest if he’s to stay productive throughout the season, but he’ll slash a solid .310/.350/.400 until that happens.

Designated Hitter
Winnipeg Virtue - 1936 Lou Gehrig

San Juan Senadores - 1901 Jesse Burkett
Buntsville Bastards - 1876 Ross Barnes
Krakow Dragons - 2012 Albert Pujols/1997 Mike Piazza
Al Centrists - 1964 Harmon Killebrew

Old Gehrig is still Gehrig. Meanwhile, Burkett and Barnes are both old timey on base machines with good speed and no pop. Just don’t ask them to play defense. The Dragons combination of right-before-the-cliff Pujols and only-against-lefties Piazza might very well be more productive than the two spots above them, or even better than Gehrig if Gehrig has a down year and Pujols hits for a decent average.

Bench
Buntsville Bastards - 1982 Ted Simmons, 1876 Cap Anson, 2004 Placido Polanco, 1986 Alan Trammell, 1876 Paul Hines

San Juan Senadores - 1974 Johnny Bench, 1974 Lou Brock, 1960 Ernie Banks, 1976 Rod Carew, 2009 Hideki Matsui
Winnipeg Virtue - 1998 Mike Piazza, 1922 Riggs Stephenson, 1995 Chipper Jones, 1924 Ty Cobb, 1931 Paul Waner
Al Centrists - 1951 Yogi Berra, 1933 Riggs Stephenson, 2002 Torii Hunter, 2002 David Ortiz, 1981 Chet Lemon
Krakow Dragons - C Platoon/1B Platoon/2B Platoon/LF Platoon/1957 Ernie Banks

The Bastards have a very, very solid set of backups, and Polanco is a fantastic multi-position defensive sub. The Dragons rank last here only because they get credit for their platoons in the position rankings.

As mentioned in the team captions, that 2002 (I assume) David Ortiz isn’t on the Centrist’s team CSV. It probably doesn’t matter. They should probably be using Yogi as their starting catcher, though. Likewise, the 1960 Ernie Banks on the Senadores isn’t going to field any worse than Yeah Jeets, and will hit a drat sight better. If they did that, the Virtue would move up a spot on this list.

Meanwhile, this is where the “Virtue” have stashed their 1924 Ty Cobb, who I think they roster solely to age-bug all other Cobbs. That could be a major problem for the Senadores, who made a Cobb the centerpiece of their trade out of the first round.

Staff Ace
San Juan Senadores - 1996 Greg Maddux

Krakow Dragons - 1913 Ed Walsh
Buntsville Bastards - 1876 Al Spalding
Winnipeg Virtue - 1897 Rube Waddell
Al Centrists - 1961 Camilo Pascual

Greg Maddux is an ace in his prime, and Ed Walsh isn’t far behind. Al Spalding was quite good for the Forgettables, with an ERA+ between 104 and 133 in full seasons of work from Super League 26 through 29. I guess it helps if he’s making the same baseball’s he’s throwing. Rube Waddell is considered a Super League Stud, which I think is just wrong in the first place, but the Dragons of all people should know that 20 year old Rube is just not very good since he’s been with them after coming over in the New Hoss trade. He’s managed two above average seasons for them over the next eight, with an ERA+ more commonly usually in the high 80s.

Oh, and Camilo Pascual had a nice career for the Senators/Twins, including three consecutive AL strikeout crowns between 1961 and 1963, but I would be very surprised if he gets more than a month into the season before being replaced for ineffectiveness.

Number Two
Buntsville Bastards - 1998 Pedro Martinez

Winnipeg Virtue - 1903 Cy Young
Krakow Dragons - 1989 Greg Maddux
San Juan Senadores - 1949 Bob Feller
Al Centrists - 1997 Kevin Appier

Young Greg and moderately Old Denton are both just outside their primes, compared to 1998 Pedro who was in the middle of it. Given that the division has a moderate number of free swingers, I think Pedro is going to have a good year. Somehow this is the first 1949 Bob Feller we’ve ever had in the Super League, at least through two seasons ago. Lastly, and leastly, Kevin Appier was a very underrated pitcher during his career, but comes into this season having pitched around 250 Super League innings through SL29… and none since season 11.

Third Starter
Krakow Dragons - 1911 Walter Johnson

San Juan Senadores - 1974 Steve Carlton
Buntsville Bastards - 1970 Tom Seaver
Al Centrists - 1964 Jim Kaat
Winnipeg Virtue - 1936 Carl Hubbell

Big Train entering his prime is #1 among this group with a bullet, and has a very solid chance of being the best pitcher in the division over the course of the season. Carlton and Seaver are both solid third starters, while Jim Kaat has often been above average. Really, Tom Seaver should be an upper tier starter, but Mogul is gonna Mogul.

Fourth Starter
Al Centrists - 1912 Joe Wood

Winnipeg Virtue - 2003 Roy Halladay
Krakow Dragons - 1971 Juan Marichal
Buntsville Bastards - 1982 Don Sutton
San Juan Senadores - 1964 Jim Bunning

Young Joe Wood was an excellent starter for the early and middle age Super League teams, and was good to excellent for the Hague Honkballers in more recent seasons. He’s probably the best of this bunch, with Halladay and Marichal slotting in behind him. Sutton, meanwhile, is 37 years old at this point. He may or may not be able to perform. I give him a better shot at it than Jim Bunning, who doesn’t appear to have had an ERA+ over 100 since Super League 23.

Fifth Starter
Winnipeg Virtue - 1902 Eddie Plank

Krakow Dragons - 2002 Greg Maddux
San Juan Senadores - 1921 Joe Wood
Buntsville Bastards - 1996 Roger Clemens
Al Centrists - 2004 Johan Santana

This is “young” Eddie Plank, who’s already 26 years old. He’s the best bet for consistency. The latter years of both Greg Maddux and Joe Wood in the Super League are inconsistent, and they both have trouble pitching full seasons. They’re liable to be better than Roger Clemens, who Mogul hates. But even Clemens is liable to be better than Santana, who hasn’t had great success outside of the Panderdome in the last few seasons.

Bullpen
Krakow Dragons - 2014 Kenley Jansen, 2009 Francisco Rodriguez, 1981 Rollie Fingers, 2019 Aroldis Chapman, 2009 Mike Adams, 1995 Bret Saberhagen

Winnipeg Virtue - 2000 Joe Nathan, 1995 Robb Nen, 2013 Rafael Soriano, 1998 Mike Stanton, 1983 Bruce Sutter, 1922 Walter Johnson
San Juan Senadores - 2009 Mariano Rivera, 1974 Mike Marshall, 2018 Zach Britton, 2009 Phil Coke, 1949 Satchel Paige, 2010 Roy Halladay
Buntsville Bastards - 2004 Billy Wagner, 1982 Rollie Fingers, 1982 Doug Jones, 2004 Rheal Cormier, 2004 Roberto Hernandez, 1934 Carl Hubbell
Al Centrists - 2004 Joe Nathan, 1997 Jeff Montgomery, 2004 Juan Rincon, 1958 Ned Garver, 2004 JC Romero, 1991 Randy Johnson

The Dragons have the best top to bottom bullpen in this division, with the ex-Dragons close behind. After that the Senadores and Bastards each have a couple solid relievers and then questionmarks. The Centrists, unfortunately, have just Joe Nathan.

Prediction

Buntsville Bastards
Winnipeg Virtue
Krakow Dragons
San Juan Senadores
Al Centrists

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks for the review. I'll plan on switching out Jeter sometime

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

I'm still not starting the season until we have all the previews done.

Super-League XXXII, Week 0: BUT I DON'T WANNA!

Team Statistics

Standings

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Hmm looks like I put the wrong George Harper in the csv. Ah well.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

OK, so we need one last sub-par preview. Then we can get this whole thing started, and Smasher can complete the quest to destroy the league.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I really should just put every pitcher in my CSV to avoid this happening again.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

OK, so we need one last sub-par preview. Then we can get this whole thing started, and Smasher can complete the quest to destroy the league.

i think everyone else is doing a good group job of that

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

SUB-PAR SEASON 19: THE KERGUELEN DIVISION

EC Record:95-67
EC Pythagorean Record: 94-68

Safeco Field
Elevation: 312’
Dimensions: 331-390-405-387-327
Grass Length: Medium
Visibility: Fair
Foul Grounds: Large
Offseason Additions:
1901 Cy Young
1903 Addie Joss
1933 Gabby Hartnett
1967 Frank Robinson
1946 Lou Boudreau

Moleboy, the man who has followed the Super League thread more closely than perhaps anyone other than the Eternal Commish Smasher Dynamo, is back for a second go round. His Bonafides made the EC final against the Sneks, but couldn’t secure placement in the Super League there or via the Repechage. Which stinks, because this seems to be a very, very strong division. Moleboy added two excellent starters at the top of the draft to his 95 win EC team, in Young and Joss. He also made solid upgrades in Frank Robinson and Gabby Hartnett, who replace Carlton Fisk and Reggie Jackson from the EC iteration of the club. Will it be enough for them to get promoted in a division containing two time Super League division champ Hague Honkbalers and last season also-rans SoDak Marmoboys? Maybe, maybe not.

EC Record: 84-78
EC Pythagorean Record: 81-81

La-Batters Cage
Elevation: 600’
Dimensions: 325-369-399-369-325
Infield Quality: Fair
Infield Grass Height: Fair
Foul Ground: Large
Offseason Additions:
1908 Tris Speaker
1921 Joe Wood
1951 Roy Campanella
1935 Mickey Cochrane
2003 Albert Pujols
1969 Bob Gibson
1982 Rickey Henderson
1954 Eddie Yost

The newest member of the Super League thread, the moderator of the poker forum, and (maybe?) Quebecois Kalensc had a solid start for a new owner, finishing above .500 in the Expansion Cup. He made a first round trade to net himself a young Tris Speaker, who will almost certainly hit like a prime Tris Speaker and thus be the best CF in the entire Sub-Par… unless that title goes to the prime Speaker on Honkbal. Suffice to say, even a 10th %tile performance from Speaker will give Les Royales more than the 70th %tile performance of Griffey Jr.

Kalensc also made a raft of improvements across the board, He replaces Darrin Fletcher with late-prime Mickey Cochrane and Roy Campanella, John Kruk with Albert Pujols, Vlad Guerrero with Rickey, and is able to avoid Derek Lowe and Jamie Moyer starting games by picking up Wood and Gibson. The Gambler* also picked up the owner of one of my favorite statistical profiles of all time, Eddie Yost. How can you not love a dude with over 9000 career plate appearances and an OBP higher than his SLG?

All in all, it makes for a pretty decent ballclub. But, as I mentioned above, it’s a tough division. Here’s hoping Les Royales don’t get guillotined in their first season.

* Or not, if you don’t gamble much yourself and just mod the poker forum out of inertia. Still, it’s a choice nickname. In French I guess it would be le Joueur?

SPL19 Record: 87-75
SPL19 Pythagorean Record: 87-75

The Hubert H. Humphrey Marmodome
Elevation: 850’
Structure: Domed
Surface: Turf
Dimensions: 343-385-408-367-327
Offseason Additions:
1996 Barry Bonds
1881 John Ward
1992 Ken Griffey Jr.

Offseason Subtractions:
1907 Honus Wagner
1982 Jesse Burkett
1976 Nolan Ryan

The only member of the Triad living with the shame of being in the Sub-Par this season, Zodiac5000’s SoDak Marmoboys missed out on the playoffs by dropping their last three games of the season in a row to be overtaken by Monicro’s Bokonists. So Zodiac traded into the first round at the cost of his starting shortstop, spot-starter Nolan Ryan, and trade bait Jesse Burkett. Then, with Mazus Merciless sitting right there, he selected a Barry Bonds. That trade might not look so great when Bonds goes down with a slit neck received while defenseless. Zodiac also added to his stock of pre-1900s pitching, adding John/Monte Ward. Will that be enough to put the Marmolads into the Sub-Par playoffs and send Zodiac back to the Super League? I honestly doubt it, especially since a number of the Marmobucks primary contributors are off-age editions that aren’t guaranteed to produce. However, that the 19 year old Jimmie Foxx might give MKS fits. Not because he’ll play well. He probably won’t. But because he’ll age bug the two Jimmies Foxx on the Honkbalers.

Also, Zodiac is the one person here who didn’t post the years of his players in his roster post, which is always a pain in the rear end for the person doing the preview. He should know better, given that he’s done previews before! So I hope he gets Gauntlet’d.

SL31 Record: 69-93
SL31 Pythagorean Record: 69-93

Sinister Stadium
Elevation: 0’
Structure: ?
Surface: ?
Dimensions: 500-500-500-350-250
Infield Quality: Average
Foul Ground: Tiny
Offseason Additions:
None

Chamale had a very, very good EC team. It suffered a rough introduction to the Super-League, but that’s true for pretty much any new team, especially one with a rookie owner. Then… Chamale vanished. The team made no picks in the offseason, and enters this one with the same roster. That roster was still good enough to avoid a last place repechage finish, or even a second to last one. There’s talent here. Without an owner, though, it will be entirely unable to make roster changes and injuries could very much wreck them.

SL31 Record: 79-83
SL31 Pythagorean Record: 76-86

The House of Honkbal
Elevation: 2’
Dimensions: 310-350-405-380-350
Infield Quality: Average
Offseason Additions:
2001 Trevor Hoffman
1958 Ernie Banks
1905 Nick Altrock

Offseason Subtractions:
1983 Cal Ripken, Jr.
1966 Frank Robinson

MKS is back in the Sub-Par for the first time since Season 27. They actually finished 8 games better than in Season 30, where they remained in the Super League thanks to the Propane being even worse. Then Honkbal nation sealed its demotion with a 16-26 start to the Repechage. Even so, they’re still more or less the team that won the Bellhorn division three seasons back, and they’ve added a Trevor Hoffman to shore up the bullpen. They’re by some measure the most seasoned, proven team in the division, and I’d guess that they’re on the way back to the Super League when all is said and done.

Catcher
SoDak Marmosets - 1927 Mickey Cochrane/Matt McPizza
Hague Honkbalers - 1933 Mickey Cochrane/1938 Ernie Lombardi

Suez Tugboats - 1926 Mickey Cochrane
Beaverton Bonafides - 1933 Gabby Hartnett
Les Royales de Montréal - 1951 Roy Campanella

Kalensc should really be platooning his 1935 Mickey Cochrane with Campanella here. If he were, that’d bump him up from last to a tie for first in the group. As can be seen from the starters here, Cochrane is considered the most reliable offensive catcher in Baseball Mogul. The Marmokids would take first here on having a created player as the small spoon of their platoon, created players tend to be a bit more reliable in the Sub-Par than the Super League, but McPizza was dire last season, with an OBP of .259. If Pungry’s version of him this season matches last season, they drop to 4th behind the Tugboats. Gabby Hartnett is hardly a bad player, he’s started for some excellent Super League clubs, he’s just a righty in a game that strongly favors lefty batters. This position is stacked for a Sub-Par division.

First Base
Hague Honkbalers - 1934 Jimmie Foxx

Les Royales de Montréal - 2003 Albert Pujols
SoDak Marmosets - 1927 Jimmie Foxx
Suez Tugboats - 1997 Jeff Bagwell
Beaverton Bonafides - 1982 Eddie Murray

This ranking is strictly on the quality of the player in a vacuum. If that 19 year old Foxx age bugs the 26 year old one, then Pujols is the best first baseman in the division. Jimmie Foxx either the best or second best right handed hitter of all time, and that makes him one of the better options at first base. That being said, don’t sleep on Pujols, who very well could have the best season of anyone here.

The Bonafides here show the first difficulty in having a young team, they filled a ton of holes in the offseason but still have several players that just aren’t as good as you’d like for the Sub-Par. Eddie Murray is a great ballplayer in real life, one of the few members of the 3000 hit/500 home run club. But he’s as likely to put up a .650 OPS as he is an .800 OPS.

Second Base
Suez Tugboats - 1918 Eddie Collins

Hague Honkbalers - 1985 Lou Whitaker/1983 Paul Molitor
SoDak Marmosets - 1924 Charlie Gehringer
Beaverton Bonafides - 1982 Bobby Grich
Les Royales de Montréal - 1989 Robbie Alomar

Eddie Collins is for good reason considered the best 2nd baseman in the Super League, and his only real competition for that throne is Charlie Gehringer. The Marmogang’s Gehringer is a rookie, however, and much less reliable than a prime Collins. Both les Royales and the Bonafides should look for upgrades at 2B, though at least Grich is an excellent fielder. Robbie Alomar’s skillset is unloved by the Mogul engine, and if the last 10 seasons of the Super and Sub-Par leagues are anything to go by he’s going to struggle.

Third Base
Beaverton Bonafides - 1982 George Brett
Hague Honkbalers - 1983 George Brett

SoDak Marmosets - 1969 Ron Santo/2005 Adrian Beltre
Suez Tugboats - 1997 Chipper Jones
Les Royales de Montréal - 1954 Eddie Yost

It’s a pick-em between the Bretts at the top. I’ve never had luck with him personally, but he really should give you decent offense to go with solid defense at a historically difficult position to fill. The Santo/Beltre platoon intrigues me, but I don’t think Beltre has ever hit all that well even as a small spoon. And while I said above that I love Eddie Yost, I don’t love him enough to think he should be a sub-par starter. This is a place where Kalensc should look to upgrade.

Shortstop
SoDak Marmosets - 2001 Alex Rodriguez

Hague Honkbalers - 1958 Ernie Banks
Les Royales de Montréal - 1996 Alex Rodriguez
Beaverton Bonafides - 1982 Robin Yount
Suez Tugboats - 1997 Barry Larkin

Prime A-Rod is likely to hit slightly better and play slightly better defense than prime Ernie Banks. Baby A-Rod is likely to hit worse but still defend better than Banks. Yount could, in the end, have a better season than all three. Really, the only weak link here is Larkin, who at the age of 33 and with his injury risk is at risk of getting hurt. And since he’s on the Tugboats, that’d leave the AI to deal with the problem.

Left Field
Hague Honkbalers - Volk Hammer
Suez Tugboats - 1997 Barry Bonds
SoDak Marmosets - 1996 Barry Bonds

Beaverton Bonafides - 1982 Rickey Henderson
Les Royales de Montréal - 1982 Rickey Henderson

It’s a pick-em between Volk Hammer and Barry Bonds. If I had to choose one, I’d go with Hammer due to Mogul believing that Barry is made of glass. Regardless, they’re three of the six best hitters in this division. As for 23 year old Rickey, I’d hope that he gets on base enough to be a net positive. Really, you should hope for a roughly 100 OPS+ player, which is some distance back from what you’d hope to get from a Prime Bonds or the People’s Hammer.

Center Field
Hague Honkbalers - 1913 Tris Speaker

Beaverton Bonafides - 1963 Willie Mays
SoDak Marmosets - 1964 Willie Mays
Suez Tugboats - 1950 Joe DiMaggio
Les Royales de Montréal - 1997 Ken Griffey, Jr.

Kalensc traded for a young Tris Speaker, and is not starting him. Kalensc should change that immediately. Ken Griffey, Jr. has one of the sweetest swings I’ve ever seen, and it cannot connect with Super League pitching. Given how difficult avoiding the gauntlet will be, there’s no reason to not make the change. The Bonafides and Marmofides each run out a mid-30s Willie Mays. He might hit well, or he might not. Nine times out of ten he’ll still give you more than a Joe DiMaggio one year from retirement, and he’ll certainly patrol center field with more alacrity.

Right Field
Suez Tugboats - 1923 Babe Ruth

SoDak Marmosets - 1934 Mel Ott
Les Royales de Montréal - 1987 Tony Gwynn
Hague Honkbalers - 1965 Frank Robinson
Beaverton Bonafides - 1967 Frank Robinson

If the Tugboats die, that Ruth is odds on to be the #1 pick of the Dispersal/Super Draft. Right field is a strong position on the whole, and I don’t think any team is going to be disappointed. Mel Ott is in the 1b tier of great Super League players, young Tony Gwynn is as much a lock to hit .300 as anyone in the game, and Frank Robinson is an adequate to good starter for most teams, even the when he’s not playing in Towa City.

Designated Hitter
SoDak Marmosets - 1923 Rogers Hornsby
Hague Honkbalers - 1933 Jimmie Foxx

Les Royales de Montréal - 1996 Edgar Martinez
Suez Tugboats - 1918 Shoeless Joe Jackson
Beaverton Bonafides - 1963 Orlando Cepeda

If Foxx isn’t the best right handed hitter in Baseball Mogul, then the title probably goes to Rogers Hornsby. The risk of Foxx getting age bugged concerns me, but even if he is he’s still got a very strong probability of being the second best DH in the division. Not that Edgar, Shoeless Joe, or even Cepeda are slugs. They just don’t hit as much as you’d like from an offense only position.

Bench
Les Royales de Montréal - 1935 Mickey Cochrane/2000 Barry Larkin/1987 John Kruk/1908 Tris Speaker/1997 Vlad Guerrero

Hague Honkbalers - C Platoon/2B Platoon/1958 Ernie Banks/1970 Hank Aaron/1960 Duke Snider
Suez Tugboats - 1997 Mike Piazza/1997 Mark Grace/1967 Brooks Robinson/1995 Omar Vizquel/1940 Earl Averill
SoDak Marmosets - C Platoon/1995 Barry Larkin/3B Platoon/2004 Ichiro Suzuki/1927 Ty Cobb
Beaverton Bonafides - 1982 Carlton Fisk/1971 Dick Allen/1963 Willie McCovey/1946 Lou Boudreau/1963 Felipe Alou

Les Royales are #1 on bench depth because they’ve got two players who should be in their and just about anyone else’s starting lineup here. Bench depth only goes so far, though, and the real problem for the Bonafides and les Royales is that SoDak and Honkbal have had several seasons to build up depth. Being able to bring up a 1982 Robin Yount if both of your 1958 Ernie Banksii get hurt, or replacing a struggling Ron Santo with prime Eddie Mathews is a real benefit of having survived a few seasons.

Also, I hope SoDak finishes last, as their 1927 Ty Cobb is an abomination that must be purged from this league.

Staff Ace
SoDak Marmosets - 1892 Cy Young

Suez Tugboats - 1913 Walter Johnson
Hague Honkbalers - 1913 Smokey Joe Wood
Beaverton Bonafides - 1901 Cy Young
Les Royales de Montréal - 1968 Bob Gibson

SoDak has an actually prime Cy Young. There’s only one other Cy Young in super league history that has played in his 20s, and he’s essentially never been worse than a #2 quality starter in any season before turning 30. 23 year old Walter Johnson, 23 year old Smokey Joe Wood, and 35 year old Cy Young are all ace material in any given season. This division is bringing firepower at the top of their rotations. Bob Gibson will have trouble keeping up, and Bob Gibson might well post a 120 ERA+

Number Two
SoDak Marmosets - 1917 Pete Alexander
Beaverton Bonafides - 1903 Addie Joss
Suez Tugboats - 1997 Greg Maddux

Hague Honkbalers - 1861 Jim Creighton
Les Royales de Montréal - 1921 Smokey Joe Wood

Stacked AGAIN. Older Smokey Joe hasn’t been as reliable as the 1913 edition, and pioneer era Jim Creighton appears to be locked in for a 105-110 ERA+ ever season, so they take a back seat to three players who would start for virtually any Super League club.

Third Starter
Suez Tugboats - 1997 Pedro Martinez
Les Royales de Montréal - 1997 Pedro Martinez
SoDak Marmosets - 1998 Greg Maddux

Hague Honkbalers - 1888 Monte Ward
Beaverton Bonafides - 1963 Juan Marichal

Honestly, we’re three rotation spots deep and the three worst pitchers are a Smokey Joe Wood, Juan Marichal, and Bob Gibson. This division’s starting pitching is stacked as hell. I’ll be curious to see how Prime Pedro does against the division’s bats, none of the teams have sold out for contact hitting and the Tugboats are the only ones playing in a lopsided stadium with a short porch to right. I expect a whole lot of strikeouts, and the occasional 10 run outing against the Boats.

Fourth Starter
Hague Honkbalers - 1901 Rube Waddell

SoDak Marmosets - 1881 Monte Ward
Beaverton Bonafides - 1971 Don Sutton
Suez Tugboats - 1906 Nick Altrock
Les Royales de Montréal - 2015 Gerrit Cole

Finally we’re getting to the point where the differences in age between the teams is starting to show. Ward and Waddell are both 2nd-3rd starters when in the Super League, whereas none of Sutton, Altrock, or Cole are likely to play much in the first division. Sutton is definitely the best of those three, especially in his prime, whereas I deem it very likely that Altrock and Cole will struggle.

Fifth Starter
SoDak Marmosets - Kelsie Whitmore

Hague Honkbalers - 1925 Pete Alexander
Beaverton Bonafides - 1963 Gaylord Perry
Les Royales de Montréal - 1997 Randy Johnson
Suez Tugboats - 1997 Tom Glavine

The Marmosets and Honkbalers again have the best back end of a rotation, but not by anywhere near the margin as with the fourth starters. Whitmore is a reliable source of violence and slightly above average starting pitching, while even old Pete can sling it in a good season. Add to that the inconsistency of 24 year old Perry and the Big Unit, and there’s a gap but not a gigantic one. At least, until you get to Tom Glavine, who is gonna put up an ERA around 7 against these hitters. He’s not equipped to deal with the Foxxes and Hornsbys and Pujols of the division.

Bullpen
Hague Honkbalers - 2001 Mariano Rivera/2009 Mariano Rivera/2001 Trevor Hoffman/2016 Craig Kimbrel/1982 Rollie Fingers/1922 Red Faber

SoDak Marmosets - 2009 Joe Nathan/2013 Aroldis Chapman/1972 Sparky Lyle/2001 Brian Fuentes/2001 Arthur Rhodes/1927 Lefty Grove
Beaverton Bonafides - 1982 Dan Quisenberry/1982 Rollie Fingers/1982 Dennis Eckersley/2008 Brad Lidge/1982 Rich Gossage/2008 Cole Hamels
Suez Tugboats - 1997 Rheal Cormier/2016 Ken Giles/2016 Drew Storen/1997 Rod Beck/1971 Jim Brewer/1997 Kevin Brown
Les Royales de Montréal - 1989 Mark Davis/2015 Mark Melancon/2015 Joakim Soria/1998 Mike Timlin/1985 Rich Gossage

And here is why I really think that Honkbal is going back up to the Super League. They have an exceptional bullpen. Whereas every other team has at best a couple of high quality relievers, MKS has four. It’s going to make the difference in close games, where he can trot out Hoffman or Rivera against Lyle or Lidge or Storen or Melancon.

Prediction
Hague Honkbalers
SoDak Marmosets
Beaverton Bonafides
Les Royales de Montréal
Suez Tugboats

None of these are bad teams. The weakest club is Les Royales de Montréal, and the weaknesses stem just from not having a chance to fill any holes yet. Some luck and a good first round Super Draft pick would serve them or the Bonafides a good chance of survival. If that comes at the expense of Zodiac and his menagerie of off-brand Cobbs and Foxxes, all the better.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

We have finally reached Week 0 and the "Summer of Morbius" has finally fell upon the super league. Praise.