Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Jinh posted:

i fuckin love ghosts of saltmarsh. the town is basically perfect with the politics and the rollable tables that progress events forward, every town should be this understandable and detailed.

I enjoy it as well. My one complaint is that I wish there was an Adventure in the book to actually deal with the stuff involving the Scarlet Brotherhood in the town. They will pretty much just be sneaky in the background, but have little to do with any of the actual adventures so the DM will largely have to do their own thing with them. The Brotherhood are good villains so I wish there was just a little more on them.

Nessa posted:

Yeah, those ones look super cool! I’ve seen that someone has already put out a guide to modding GoS for Wildemount by using Brokenbank as the main setting. Once I finish the Tides arc, I’ll see where I can go next with GoS.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to using all the useful ship information and ocean encounter tables from GoS too, especially if the party manage to procure themselves a vessel.

The one issue with changing it to Wildemount is having to ditch the Empire of Iuz and Scarlet Brotherhood stuff. (I supposed they could be renamed, but it's still not quite the same).

Anyway on unrelated matters, we look to have a preview of the new Dragonlance map, which will come with the new novel and Adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m really glad to see Mithras on there. That’s the kickass Minotaur kingdom right? Also what’s hiding on MOUNT NEVERMIND???

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Isn't Mount Nevermind where gnomes hang out in Ansalon?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Arivia posted:

I’m really glad to see Mithras on there. That’s the kickass Minotaur kingdom right? Also what’s hiding on MOUNT NEVERMIND???

Mithras, and Kothas are the Minotaur's Lands (Thought they want to expand), Karthay to the north used to belong to them as well, but has been overrun by monsters like Bulettes and Umber Hulks.

Mount Nevermind is the homeland of the Tinker Gnomes. Here is the origin of it's name

quote:

When a cleric asked the Gnomes what the mountain was named, an incredibly long, complicated explanation of the mountain's nature (functioning as its name) was given, spoken in the incredibly quick way of expression of the Gnomes. The cleric said "Nevermind", and the Gnomes took the name as a stroke of genius.

For another important location Neraka is the original city of the Dragonarmies, and the Temple of Takhisis they were based out of.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'll be starting my first campaign as DM today. I'm running Lost Mines of Phandelver and we are having session zero this afternoon. I'm pretty excited and slightly nervous. Have you run or played Lost Mines before? Any tips on how to improve/what to avoid?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The first big encounter can be quite deadly if they just charge in

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Digital Osmosis posted:

oh man this is such a pointless nitpick but then again we are in the D&D thread so: her real name is actually Natasha. Tasha is a nickname and Iggwilv is an alias, same is Zybilna, which she goes by now as an Archfey. This comes up in Wild Beyond the Witchlight, the party might need her true name and only "Natasha" works.

Nah, this is the perfect thread for a :goonsay:, don't worry. It beats alignment destruction.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

radlum posted:

I'll be starting my first campaign as DM today. I'm running Lost Mines of Phandelver and we are having session zero this afternoon. I'm pretty excited and slightly nervous. Have you run or played Lost Mines before? Any tips on how to improve/what to avoid?

To avoid overwhelming the party with too many Goblins at the start, Goblins should probably flee if they get hit and survive.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I had them meet a friendly Halfling Cleric of Tymora on the road who blessed them all with the effects of the Aid spell that lasted until the next long rest. You can give them a bit of padding and also signpost that there's a shrine of Tymora in Phandelin and also that some people are getting the hell out of there.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
As a general rule when I’m playing with first level characters, I change all enemy damage dice to d4s. That will almost always prevent perfect rolls from killing.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Midnight, one of the more famous 3rd party settings from the 3e era, just released a 5th Edition verson to backers and on DTRPG.

There's no preview, so I'm coasting by on what others say. An RPGnet poster here gave some highlights.

There does seem to be communication issues. The product description says that the book contains no rules, in spite of it apparently having rules by the aforementioned poster. Additionally there are people having trouble redeeming coupons for the PDF for those who purchased the hardcover.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Libertad! posted:

Midnight, one of the more famous 3rd party settings from the 3e era, just released a 5th Edition verson to backers and on DTRPG.

There's no preview, so I'm coasting by on what others say. An RPGnet poster here gave some highlights.

There does seem to be communication issues. The product description says that the book contains no rules, in spite of it apparently having rules by the aforementioned poster. Additionally there are people having trouble redeeming coupons for the PDF for those who purchased the hardcover.

the dtrpg description doesn't say no rules, just that the rules are not included in the book. it's poorly phrased but it seems to be trying to say you need the 5e core rulebooks, not that there's no rules in the book at all.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

radlum posted:

I have an alternative to what people have suggested above - start the party at level 2. I guess I'm a bit late for your session 0, but there's a bunch of stuff to figure out and select at level 2 anyways for a lot of classes, and a lot of cool class features (reckless attack for barbarians, wild shape for druids, action surge for fighters, etc) that make the characters actually feel unique come online at level 2. That makes those early encounters less deadly, and you can toss a few more goblins in if the party is just tearing through it. Then you don't have to worry about one good hit from a goblin taking down a character.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

road potato posted:

I have an alternative to what people have suggested above - start the party at level 2. I guess I'm a bit late for your session 0, but there's a bunch of stuff to figure out and select at level 2 anyways for a lot of classes, and a lot of cool class features (reckless attack for barbarians, wild shape for druids, action surge for fighters, etc) that make the characters actually feel unique come online at level 2. That makes those early encounters less deadly, and you can toss a few more goblins in if the party is just tearing through it. Then you don't have to worry about one good hit from a goblin taking down a character.

I would second this suggestion. Level 1 is really a sort of hard-core survival mode. You shouldn't start at 1st level unless you are comfortable with a few PC deaths on the first adventure. That's pretty fun, but it's something you got to hash out in your session zero. People don't like dying on the first adventure when they came to the table with a 5 page backstory. But "Wilbo Beggens" the halfling thief who's backstory is "likes to steal" might accidentally fall into a spike pit trap and it's just funny. It depends what your players are after!

If they are more roleplay heavy level 2 or even 3 might be best. Be careful, this gives meat to min-maxers. Experienced players might be much more powerful than newer players at a higher level. I like to balance it out by giving powerful magic items to the more casual players.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I usually take through the motions of level 1-2 if players are actually new new. And it’s simple enough to soften encounters.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Session 0 went pretty well; once we were done with the character creation we got to the start of the adventure. Session ended just as the goblins ambushed the party; I've given them a bunch of healing potions and an NPC to act as an arrow sponge, but once we finish this encounter, I'll get them to level up.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
One of my players joined the group as a member of the Neverwinter equivalent to the IRS. She had some questions about the information Gundren put down on the forms taking out loans for his expedition.

It was amazing when they finally found him, beaten and bloodied but still spitting furiously at his captors, she enters the room and casts thaumaturgy to enhance her voice, pulls out the questionable paperwork and loudly proclaims "GUNDREN ROCKSEEKER I AM FROM THE OFFICE OF TAX COLLECTIONS AND I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS"

Later they met the ghost in Wave Echo Cave who turned out to be a libertarian when she introduced herself.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
If the problem is just that low level characters have too few hit points, and the solution is that second level characters have enough hit points so start them at second level, couldn't this problem be solved by giving starting characters two hit dice of HP rather than one?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Whybird posted:

If the problem is just that low level characters have too few hit points, and the solution is that second level characters have enough hit points so start them at second level, couldn't this problem be solved by giving starting characters two hit dice of HP rather than one?

That's the way it works in Hackmaster, to prevent the temptation to skip first level.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Whybird posted:

No. See, hit dice and levels are tied together. Thus as it was decreed by Gygax, thus always shall it be. Any attempt to change will result in naught but destruction as the fury of a thousand grognards break on any pro-fun heretics.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've been eyeing a Ranger/Drakewarden because it seems like you just make your basic ranged ranger but you have a dragon, which seems very appealing in that I don't have to think too much about. However, it feels like a class I'd want to actually try out long-term so I'm saving it for an in-person campaign I may join in September. If I want to try an effective pet user/class, to figure out how those would work in action, what's the better option and how do you go about making it work? I'm joining a lvl 11 one-shot in a couple of weeks to use as a test run.

So I've been looking at either the Beast Master Ranger or a Wildfire Druid.

The former just seems a bit complicated since you need to build to Druidic Warrior and Wisdom, which seems counterproductive with a focus on cantrips for damage, because how do you go about making that Extra-attack useful since you're casting to attack? At level 11 a produce flame is 3d8 (or Primal Savagery is 3d10) whereas a shillelagh weapon is just 1d8 twice with Extra attack. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Wildfire Druid seems like a decent work around with a more fragile pet but one with rather specific abilities that allow for all sort of things, namely teleportation. I'm just not as sold on it, if only because all the magic makes my head spin. I can't keep up with it.

Thoughts?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've been eyeing a Ranger/Drakewarden because it seems like you just make your basic ranged ranger but you have a dragon, which seems very appealing in that I don't have to think too much about. However, it feels like a class I'd want to actually try out long-term so I'm saving it for an in-person campaign I may join in September. If I want to try an effective pet user/class, to figure out how those would work in action, what's the better option and how do you go about making it work? I'm joining a lvl 11 one-shot in a couple of weeks to use as a test run.

The former just seems a bit complicated since you need to build to Druidic Warrior and Wisdom, which seems counterproductive with a focus on cantrips for damage, because how do you go about making that Extra-attack useful since you're casting to attack? At level 11 a produce flame is 3d8 (or Primal Savagery is 3d10) whereas a shillelagh weapon is just 1d8 twice with Extra attack. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Wildfire Druid seems like a decent work around with a more fragile pet but one with rather specific abilities that allow for all sort of things, namely teleportation. I'm just not as sold on it, if only because all the magic makes my head spin. I can't keep up with it.

Thoughts?

Always take movement options, they are the most powerful abilities in D&D both in an out of combat.

Teleportation > Dimension Door > Etheralness > Flight > Misty Step > Spider climb > Burrow Speed > Swim Speed

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Digital Osmosis posted:

No. See, hit dice and levels are tied together. Thus as it was decreed by Gygax, thus always shall it be. Any attempt to change will result in naught but destruction as the fury of a thousand grognards break on any pro-fun heretics.

This joke is extra good because the 1E AD&D Ranger began with 2 HD, as did some of the classes in the Dragonlance Adventures supplement.

Arivia posted:

This is the most important thing to know about Mount Nevermind:

WorldAnvil Summary posted:

Mount Nevermind has an incredibly "sophisticated" transportation system. Many gnomes considered that stairs were outdated, useless, and "primitive". Their method of traveling to different floors within the mountain involves catapults. On the ground are many catapults. The gnome gets on one of them, and then a bell rings on the floor that the gnome intends to go to, letting the inhabitants of that floor know about an arrival. Then the catapults launches the gnome upwards. When the gnome reaches that floor, a net is supposed to roll out and catch the gnome. If it fails, then a net on the floor below it opens. If all the nets on all the floors miss the gnome, sponges are deployed on the ground floor... to help clean up the mess.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I had them meet a friendly Halfling Cleric of Tymora on the road who blessed them all with the effects of the Aid spell that lasted until the next long rest.

This is almost exactly what I have planned for my party for when I run the campaign. My party will be all experienced players, but with new players, I'd also have an npc introduce them to the concept of readying actions for when enemies appear from behind cover.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ok rules question, do you have to be able to read in order to use a Tome of Clear Thought? Second question, if a dog was under the effects of Comprehend Languages would this allow the dog to read for an hour? Third question, if a dog successfully used a Tome of Clear Thought would they now be able to speak?

This is very important

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Comprehend languages lets you understand any language, not speak it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rutibex posted:

Ok rules question, do you have to be able to read in order to use a Tome of Clear Thought? Second question, if a dog was under the effects of Comprehend Languages would this allow the dog to read for an hour? Third question, if a dog successfully used a Tome of Clear Thought would they now be able to speak?

This is very important

1. Yes, need to be able to read.

2. comprehend languages allows you to read according to the text of the spell

3. nothing about increasing the intelligence attribute of a dog would change its ability to make humanlike sounds.

You want awakening for that.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rutibex posted:

This is very important

Text for the tome states that you have to read it for 48 hours over 6 days, so I'd say yes you need to be able to read, and yes comprehend languages allows you to read. Comprehend Languages lasts only an hour and is self-targeted, but something like a ring of spell-storing which has 48 castings of the spell run through it should work?

But I don't think there's any rule which says a dog that reads a tome like this would be able to speak, it would give them an intelligence of 5, but something like a great ape has an intelligence of 7 and cannot speak.

Equally there's no rule that says that a smarterer dog can't play basketball learn common.

My group did this with a familiar by giving him a headband of intellect.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I believe that a dog's inability to speak is contingent on its anatomy as much as its intelligence. Barring significant physical alteration, at most you could expect to get like a Lassie, a dog inexplicably good at following instructions and applying reasoning skills, but only able to articulate in meaningful barks

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

awaken the dog first then let it read the tome to crank its int up so that you can start training the dog as a wizard

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

You want awakening for that.

pog boyfriend posted:

awaken the dog first then let it read the tome to crank its int up so that you can start training the dog as a wizard

:hmmyes:
Thank you this would make a much smarter dog

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
If you make a dog smart like a human it will just suck like a human too. Keep em dumb and innocent!

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
Thank you this would make a much smarter dog

Seconding the wizard dog decision, but you could always go with a helm of telepathy and now your dog can "speak" but still cannot cast anything with a verbal component unless your DM is willing to give specific barks the same status

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

be careful however if the dog takes any levels in other classes awaken only gives them 10 intelligence so you will need to have the dog use an ASI first plus the tome to be able to multiclass into wizard

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

All dogs have a very high charisma though, so it would make an excellent warlock.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Perpetual Notion posted:

Seconding the wizard dog decision, but you could always go with a helm of telepathy and now your dog can "speak" but still cannot cast anything with a verbal component unless your DM is willing to give specific barks the same status
This is a Rick & Morty episode.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Headband of Intellect is a better way to go, or at least something to give the dog once you've done the other stuff for a good boost.

Every wizard or artificer will be going for 20 int, so won't want the headband for long. The vast majority of other classes use int as a dump stat. If you happen to have a subclass like an Arcane Trickster who uses Int for spellcasting but isn't going for max Int they might want the headband, but giving it to the dog will be a lot more entertaining.

Plus it is merely an Uncommon item. If you can't find one XGtE has rules to craft one in 2 weeks for 200gp. Theoretically if the wizard dog takes the Arcana skill he could craft it himself, but that's getting a little silly.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My players have made their characters! Tabaxi Druid, Dragonborn Fighter, Dragonborn Sorcerer and Variant Human Paladin.

I’ve been making the crew of the Wavechaser in Hero Forge to give them proper tokens in Roll20. We usually play in person, but Roll20 has been so useful for maps and character sheets and rolls.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thoughts?

I’ve been playing in a campaign as a Moon Druid and I highly recommend it. In our last game I conjured 2 brown bears and turned into a dire wolf to create a huge wall of teeth, claws, and fur for the enemy to break through. Flaming Sphere was also a decent spell to cast before wild shaping since it doesn’t take your action to move, so you can still bite and claw at stuff while ramming enemies with a ball of fire. My party has agreed that I am the most powerful one in the group out of a wizard, a rogue and a cleric. The cleric has better AC, but I get better movement as a dire wolf. The wizard has plans to caste haste or fly on me so I can now be a super fast or flying sabretooth tiger.

I don’t have an animal companion, but I can speak to animals, conjure animals and turn into animals.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Perpetual Notion posted:

Since spells don't require a certain language, and even non-humanoid creatures can cast spells, I would assume dogs could practice barks that work as their Verbal spell components. There may be some exceptions, like the "Power Word" series of spells specifying that the verbal component is a word.

I would also assume that Somatic components to a spell would work the same way, and the wizard could devise motions that work for their body type. Again, maybe spells that specifically say things like "You point your finger..." would be an issue.

Material components though... I assume a component pouch is out of the question without hands to reach into the pouch with. The real question is, would a Doggomancer need to hold their arcane focus in their mouth to use it? Does that limit them to spells with either a Verbal or a Material component, but not both?

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Hobo posted:

Material components though... I assume a component pouch is out of the question without hands to reach into the pouch with. The real question is, would a Doggomancer need to hold their arcane focus in their mouth to use it? Does that limit them to spells with either a Verbal or a Material component, but not both?

Mage Hand :tipshat: