Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They could have stuck the de-aged faces on younger actors if they really wanted to show off the technology. Instead you’re watching a creepy young Robert DeNiro face on the body of a seventy year old man trying to convincingly act like they’re beating the poo poo out of someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The deepfake stuff is probably convincing than the weird de-aging thing but it's still not great.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In Captain Marvel they did an amazing job with Sam Jackson but holy poo poo when there's a scene where he's running or something that's definitely a 70 year old shuffle.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

For the first 15 or so minutes it made me uncomfortable just because I knew Sam Jackson didn't look like that nowadays. Then I got used to it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In Captain Marvel they did an amazing job with Sam Jackson but holy poo poo when there's a scene where he's running or something that's definitely a 70 year old shuffle.

Yeah when he's running away in the archives you're just like "Oh yeah, Sam Jackson is an old old dude now".

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Marvel movies have done a great job with the de-aging. Both Michael Douglas and RDJ looked good. Rouge One on the other hand....

I'm not sure if its because a different studio does it or a different kind of technology.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chemtrailologist posted:

Marvel movies have done a great job with the de-aging. Both Michael Douglas and RDJ looked good. Rouge One on the other hand....

I'm not sure if its because a different studio does it or a different kind of technology.

Rogue One wasn't de-aging, it was fully cgi.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched Sonic 2 last night and while it is overall a fun movie I was kind of bothered by the backstory bit where they talk about how the Master Emerald is so dangerous and whoever possesses it gets ultimate power but then show the owls just beating up the echidna who had it and taking it away from him. Kind of takes the wind out of the sails for their victory at the end seeing as it had already happened once before.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chemtrailologist posted:

TBF in Rogue One they were trying to resurrect the dead.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah when he's running away in the archives you're just like "Oh yeah, Sam Jackson is an old old dude now".

He was already 45 when pulp fiction hit. Dudes agreed like wine

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Chemtrailologist posted:

Rouge One on the other hand....
Agree, they should have use more rouge to make the dead look alive.

christmas boots posted:

TBF in Rogue One they were trying to resurrect the dead.
:argh:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I didn’t catch the typo so I think you have the better one

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I must have some mild face blindness cause I didn't think necro-Tarkin and Leia were all that bad.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They could have stuck the de-aged faces on younger actors if they really wanted to show off the technology. Instead you’re watching a creepy young Robert DeNiro face on the body of a seventy year old man trying to convincingly act like they’re beating the poo poo out of someone.

The problem for me wasn't even so much the movements as the voices. Hearing wispy old man voice come out of purported 30 year olds was too jarring.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I love Love, Death, and Robots, and Jibaro was horribly well done but the first sequence with the knights at the pond is so jerky it makes it kinda hard to understand what is happening at first.

It is loving amazing but perhaps some more shots of the dudes getting entranced would have helped with the sudden rush of jarring motion.

edit: I realize on a later viewing one reason the siren was probably calling the dudes is their armor: she likely/maybe thought it was a male version of her kind. Which puts a new light on her being so grabby with the deaf knight, but how happy she seems, and later betrayed when she wakes up and sees what remains of herself.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 22:04 on May 29, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

I love Love, Death, and Robots, and Jibaro was horribly well done but the first sequence with the knights at the pond is so jerky it makes it kinda hard to understand what is happening at first.

It is loving amazing but perhaps some more shots of the dudes getting entranced would have helped with the sudden rush of jarring motion.

When I first started that one I thought I'd hate it because the animation was going to be janky as poo poo, then the whole first big scene happened and I realized it wasn't janky animation, it was purposefully overblown moves like a stageplay/dance and I was all in on it. Definitely my second favorite short of this lot after Bad Travelling.

E: This isn't the animation thread at all!

Bussamove has a new favorite as of 22:09 on May 29, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'll give Naruto is that the action especially in Shippuden is fantastic in some of the fights, especially when they aren't afraid to go completely off model to make the movements more kinetic. Like the fight in episode 167 of Shippudenwhere it's 6-9 Tailed Naruto vs Pain's final corpse puppet, and you have moments where both the characters are squashed and stretched all over the place to make clear how fast they are moving or how hard they are hitting each other. At one point Pain gets punched in the face and it looks like his whole head turns inside out for a moment, which really sells just how hard he just got hit. Also all the shots of Nagato and the final corpse's faces as they exert all their effort and their expressions go completely Akira to show the strain. It's way more engaging than stuff like Dragonball Z where people are mostly on model all the time so you mostly get an idea of how hard someone's been hit by how far they fly in to the wall, but during the point of impact you basically just get a slightly squished cheek.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cowslips Warren posted:

edit: I realize on a later viewing one reason the siren was probably calling the dudes is their armor: she likely/maybe thought it was a male version of her kind. Which puts a new light on her being so grabby with the deaf knight, but how happy she seems, and later betrayed when she wakes up and sees what remains of herself.

I like that idea. Much better than the standard boring 'siren calls men to their death because why not'. And explains why she seemed so happy to lie down next to the deaf knight and not, you know, eat his face.

Also fits with the LD+R themes of creepy and horny.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'll give Naruto is that the action especially in Shippuden is fantastic in some of the fights, especially when they aren't afraid to go completely off model to make the movements more kinetic. Like the fight in episode 167 of Shippudenwhere it's 6-9 Tailed Naruto vs Pain's final corpse puppet, and you have moments where both the characters are squashed and stretched all over the place to make clear how fast they are moving or how hard they are hitting each other. At one point Pain gets punched in the face and it looks like his whole head turns inside out for a moment, which really sells just how hard he just got hit. Also all the shots of Nagato and the final corpse's faces as they exert all their effort and their expressions go completely Akira to show the strain. It's way more engaging than stuff like Dragonball Z where people are mostly on model all the time so you mostly get an idea of how hard someone's been hit by how far they fly in to the wall, but during the point of impact you basically just get a slightly squished cheek.

If you haven’t, you should check out Ping Pong the Animation. The whole thing is done in this extremely expressive style and every match has this kind of thing in spades. Just an absolute masterpiece of the medium

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Arrath posted:

I must have some mild face blindness cause I didn't think necro-Tarkin and Leia were all that bad.
Fake Cushing looked ok on a small TV but like poo poo on a big bright TV or in the theater.

Cheap effects houses with lovely equipment shouldn’t be doing so many big budget movies IMO.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

I watched Sonic 2 last night and while it is overall a fun movie I was kind of bothered by the backstory bit where they talk about how the Master Emerald is so dangerous and whoever possesses it gets ultimate power but then show the owls just beating up the echidna who had it and taking it away from him. Kind of takes the wind out of the sails for their victory at the end seeing as it had already happened once before.

I think that's meant to be what we call 'foreshadowing'. Besides, the implication seems to be that given Robotnik got it punched out of him, the Master Emerald's power doesn't actually necessarily make you any tougher or more durable unless you actively put in effort to protect yourself or are already superhumanly durable, like Sonic seems to be. Totally-not-Enerjak and Robotnik became squishy wizards, while Sonic demonstrated he's clearly watched Dragon Ball Z.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I like that idea. Much better than the standard boring 'siren calls men to their death because why not'. And explains why she seemed so happy to lie down next to the deaf knight and not, you know, eat his face.

I mean, just look at her face when he is the last knight; she sings a few more times, looks concerned, feels her throat like "Is this not working?" and then tracks him down.

But dude it is a hard one to watch after that.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I liked pretty much all the new LD+R this season, except the Three Robots one. Holy god that was subtle as a brick to the face and preachy as hell.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Antioch posted:

I liked pretty much all the new LD+R this season, except the Three Robots one. Holy god that was subtle as a brick to the face and preachy as hell.

... Netflix automatically skipped that one for me and I thought I was taking crazy pills reading your posts. It started me with Bad Travelling. :psyduck:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I mean I did get the impression they are pillaging the land she lives in. Don't exactly find it weird she would want them dead.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bussamove posted:

... Netflix automatically skipped that one for me and I thought I was taking crazy pills reading your posts. It started me with Bad Travelling. :psyduck:

i haven’t seen the show but LD+R pretty famously shows episodes in a random order for each user

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Rockman Reserve posted:

i haven’t seen the show but LD+R pretty famously shows episodes in a random order for each user
I was talking about this with some friends and I'm not sure I like the idea. On paper, I love it - an anthology of disconnected animations with different styles and tones, it's like walking in a comic book store and buying something random off an indie box.

But since the tone, themes and quality are so different (from light-hearted comedy to depressing to acid trip) the random sequences could enhance your viewing experience or greatly reduce it. It's like listening to a music disk from start to finish or hitting the random button - there is a reason, IE: the opening track has almost always certain characteristics. The opening episode being random could especially be bad for this; both a friend and I have temporarily stopped watching S3 and went back to whatever we were binging instead (Better Call Saul in my case) cause the opening episode was very week for us (he got the terrible Three Robots one, I got the adaptation of The Very Pulse of the Machine that felt suuuper pretentious).

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I thought Leia was fine except for the last few seconds of that shot where it looked off.

Tarkin didn't just not look real, but he was also framed differently from all the other characters around him so it drew even more attention to how weird he looked.

Lots of odd decisions in that movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Antioch posted:

If history has shown us anything it is that subtle satire doesn't work. Even Starship Troopers were accused of being pro fascism.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

If history has shown us anything it is that subtle satire doesn't work. Even Starship Troopers were accused of being pro fascism.

To be fair, the book it's based on is pro-fascist.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

I don't think you should be fair to people that think that characters dressed as the gestapo are supposed to be the good guys.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jedit posted:

Common misconception. The book is a novelization of the movie but with the cut scenes reinserted back in.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I don't think you should be fair to people that think that characters dressed as the gestapo are supposed to be the good guys.
To be fair, the Matrix was still 2 years into the future at that time.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

That Italian Guy posted:

To be fair, the Matrix was still 2 years into the future at that time.

Ahh, to live in that glorious ignorance again.

ninja: doh, thought you said Matrix 2.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I always have a hard time with the climax of Jurassic Park where they're in the control room and Lex is on the UNIX SYSTEM computer, Dr Grant is holding the door against a vicious blood-crazed dinosaur, Ellie's trying desperately to snag the shotgun strap with her toe screaming that she can't leave the door to grab the gun, aaaaand Timmy's standing like five feet away doing fuckin nothing but wriggling in place. Like you don't even have to pick up the gun kid, just nudge it literally two inches with your toe

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Timmy was suffering pretty bad brain damage at that point

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 27: Anko says "I'll give you a word of advice: just don't die." That's three words.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIMM for the original Top Gun, for some reason the credits for Val Kilmer just call his character "Ice" when his callsign was Iceman.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mamkute posted:

Naruto Episode 27: Anko says "I'll give you a word of advice: just don't die." That's three words.

The word of advice is contingent upon them not dying. She can't (or won't) give advice to a corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mamkute posted:

Sometimes "word" can mean "statement."