Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've never seen a bi-directional gas station before lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cage posted:

I had someone at a gas station pull forward to the hood of my car while I was pumping gas, making me have to reverse to leave. Its not me, thats lovely right? If a station is busy and you have to wait drive your car around until you're facing the same direction as the person in front of you. :argh:
It depends. It kind of is, but it's better than pulling up to a gas island with 2 open pumps and stopping at the first one.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

wolrah posted:

If they had their filler on the same side as you and had instead pulled around and backed in with the same result would you be less annoyed?

I don't really consider a normal gas station to be directional since you can generally enter from multiple sides. Maybe a highway rest stop where literally all traffic is coming from the same entrance and leaving through the same exit, but IMO a normal city gas station is just a series of parking spaces wrapped around islands. Being able to pull through is common but not a guarantee.

Also was there another space the person could have gone to where they wouldn't have been "in the way" or are you saying they should have waited to fuel up until you were done just to let you pull through?
They should drive in a way that doesn't require me to back up, I don't know. Drive in a way that affects the least amount of people. Don't make people brake for you when you pull in front of them. There are 10+ pumps, she has multiple options so that she can easily pull forward. She can drive backwards behind my car if she wants to play circus games, sure. Don't make me do it.

Truga posted:

wat?

slidebite posted:

It depends. It kind of is, but it's better than pulling up to a gas island with 2 open pumps and stopping at the first one.
Eh thats easy just drive past em and angle in.

Safety Dance posted:

I'm sorry you were mildly inconvenienced. This must be a really difficult time for you. The only thing we can do is shift from R to D and carry on as best we can.
Sorry my posting offended you. I'm just a polite driver I guess!

Cage fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 26, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cage posted:

They should drive in a way that doesn't require me to back up, I don't know. Drive in a way that affects the least amount of people. Don't make people brake for you when you pull in front of them. There are 10+ pumps, she has multiple options so that she can easily pull forward. She can drive backwards behind my car if she wants to play circus games, sure. Don't make me do it.

I'm sorry you were mildly inconvenienced. This must be a really difficult time for you. The only thing we can do is shift from R to D and carry on as best we can.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zero One posted:

Hey, we won it fair and square in our war with Ohio!

Yeah, and you didn't have to keep Toledo, so I'd consider that a win.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Maybe they meant a gas station when you can deposit the gas from your car and get cash for it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe they meant a gas station when you can deposit the gas from your car and get cash for it.
Surprised I don't see craigslist ads for this. CASH4GAS CALL 1888sdkjfhs

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

maybe it's a europe thing but even the tiniest rural gas stations i've been to had one way signs on entrances. means you have to do two 180 turns if you're going the wrong way, but that's the way it is i guess

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

There are many petrol stations in the UK that you can enter at either end.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cage posted:

I had someone at a gas station pull forward to the hood of my car while I was pumping gas, making me have to reverse to leave. Its not me, thats lovely right? If a station is busy and you have to wait drive your car around until you're facing the same direction as the person in front of you. :argh:

I have a lot of driving pet peeves and some of them even involve gas stations, but this would not even bother me in the slightest.

Steakandchips posted:

There are many petrol stations in the UK that you can enter at either end.

Same in Canada, it's not even remotely an issue. Unless you park in a way that obstructs access to the pump for someone else (this includes leaving your car parked at the pump to go inside, provided it's for any reason other than paying for gas), go hog-wild!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cage posted:

As long as there are fuel fillers on both sides of cars there will be people going both directions at gas stations. It happens, you're not guaranteed to be able to pull through.

Now, if there were plenty of open pumps and she still chose the one that required her to pull up close enough to you that you have to reverse out, that's obviously a bit of a poo poo move. If it was busy however and she just pulled in to an easy pump in a reasonable way she did nothing wrong.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I guess its just a matter of caring how much your actions affect other people, I guess. I was perfectly able to drive around the pumps one time to find someone facing the same direction I was with the pump on the right side. It took about 10 seconds and it makes everything flow easier so why not do it?

I see all of your points though, I guess it was silly to care when people do so much worse stuff.

Safety Dance I'm sorry you didn't like your secret santa gift from me :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cage posted:

Safety Dance I'm sorry you didn't like your secret santa gift from me :(

Now I'm actually worried you were my AISS santa one year and I've forgotten

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Phanatic posted:

Doesn't the Blue Ridge Parkway have some absurdly-low speed limit that's actually enforced? I mean, it makes every list of the most scenic highways or whatever but actually driving it sounds really unfun, either because of the said aforementioned speed limits or the slew of RVs and tourists that make the speed limit irrelevant.

It’s great for cycling though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Truga posted:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In the vein of 'consideration for others', it really bugs me sometimes how often I'll be at a gas station during a busy time when every pump is continuously occupied, and I'll pull in at a respectful distance behind someone who seems likely to be done soon to wait my turn. They cannot possibly fail to see me sitting there waiting, and yet they'll often finish pumping and then mosey off slowly to go inside the station -- definitely NOT to pay for gas, since they already pumped -- OR they finish, hang up the nozzle, get in their car, and then seemingly do a NASA-style pre-flight checklist of every possible thing they could need to do and adjust before they actually clear off. Adjust the mirrors, fiddle with the radio, put on some lipstick, sort the contents of their purse, fix their hair, buckle up, text a few people... MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU NOT SEE ALL THESE PEOPLE SITTING HERE WAITING.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Off the top of my head, I think Costco is the only one I've seen in Canada (or Alberta at least) where there is any kind of clear directional control for the pump islands. As in, full DO NOT ENTER or ONE WAY ONLY signs and you'd have an attendant talk to you if you if you tried.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Safety Dance posted:

Now I'm actually worried you were my AISS santa one year and I've forgotten
2017! I got you goofy pants because you helped the kid drive stick and thats what he wore. Probably some food items too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cage posted:

2017! I got you goofy pants because you helped the kid drive stick and thats what he wore. Probably some food items too.

Oh jeez I forgot all about that incident. If I didn't thank you enough, thank you!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I once had a minor argument with a directional Stop & Shop gas station attendant. It wasn't crowded but all pumps that I could pull into were full. All others were empty. I reversed into a pump and got out and the lady came out of the booth and really aggressively told me it was directional and I can sit there all day but she isn't turning the pump on. I said that's fine but why can't I reverse into the pump and then reverse out of the pump as well? I'll still be going the right way just facing a different direction. I was then told to "try me". I just gave up and waited but I felt like I had a valid argument.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

bigbillystyle posted:

I once had a minor argument with a directional Stop & Shop gas station attendant. It wasn't crowded but all pumps that I could pull into were full. All others were empty. I reversed into a pump and got out and the lady came out of the booth and really aggressively told me it was directional and I can sit there all day but she isn't turning the pump on. I said that's fine but why can't I reverse into the pump and then reverse out of the pump as well? I'll still be going the right way just facing a different direction. I was then told to "try me". I just gave up and waited but I felt like I had a valid argument.

I loved working as a pump jockey and arguing with customers that no they really did say premium or no, they really did say to fill it up and if they have a problem with that we have a syphon in the garage that takes about an hour to drain a tank.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Imagined posted:

In the vein of 'consideration for others', it really bugs me sometimes how often I'll be at a gas station during a busy time when every pump is continuously occupied, and I'll pull in at a respectful distance behind someone who seems likely to be done soon to wait my turn. They cannot possibly fail to see me sitting there waiting, and yet they'll often finish pumping and then mosey off slowly to go inside the station -- definitely NOT to pay for gas, since they already pumped --

Not my proudest moment but here I am posting about it, this very occurrence had me pull my motorcycle up between their SUV and the pump so I could fill my 3.5 gallon tank. Yeah I'm blocking your door now, tough, just wait for me to be done I'll only be a minute!

"I have KIDS IN MY CAR!"

"Oh, so you left them out here alone, then?"

What's so hard about pulling into any available parking spot and going in for your smokes... and yes, there was at least two people waiting for each pump island at the time.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
A friend in Michigan has had multiple people use their long, narrow driveway as a turnaround over the years. Most just pull in and back out, but some are real jerks and leave the pavement to turn around, going off-road & leaving muddy ruts in their yard.

This time, the rear end in a top hat left a lot more than ruts.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lmao

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

NoWake posted:

A friend in Michigan has had multiple people use their long, narrow driveway as a turnaround over the years. Most just pull in and back out, but some are real jerks and leave the pavement to turn around, going off-road & leaving muddy ruts in their yard.

I'd set it on fire as sacrifice. Someone has just left me their dogshit minivan on my property with no explanation or anything. It's mine now and it's meant for the fire gods.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

NoWake posted:

This kind of poo poo happens in my driveway with delivery trucks. We have a turnaround/parking area at the end but some drivers choose to just go halfway down the driveway, then back up into the EXTREMELY WET ALL THE TIME part of my yard and turn around and leave five-ton-van-sized ruts. There was a few year period where this was a weekly occurrence and I’ve become apoplectic when it does happen.

I caught the Amazon guy doing it a year ago and when I yelled for him to stop, he just flipped me off and screamed obscenities as he drove away. I wish he had gotten stuck. I took pictures and got his plate and had to fight with Amazon about it.

I don’t order anything from Amazon anymore since then and am happier for it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

This is the reason people voluntarily drive across Texas.

Buc-ee's is an international treasure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jfc it looks massive. Do they have their own refinery on site?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

slidebite posted:

That is one of a chain of gas station/department/grocery stores (seriously Buc-ees are all gigantic). Then there are the Love's Travel Stops...

When you have as much highway as the US does, you need places like these.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

In Tennessee we had Petros, Love's, and Flying J. Every region has its own interstate highway truck stop brands but they're all the same idea.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Love's is S tier truck stop
Flying J and Petro are B tier at best and everything else is garbage

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

When you have as much highway as the US does, drive EVERYWHERE and the norm is trucks that might get you 15mpg on a good day you need places like these.

Yup.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

slidebite posted:

Everything’s bigger in Texas

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Buckee’s is great. All the trashy gifts and junk food you could ever want.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Midjack posted:

In Tennessee we had Petros, Love's, and Flying J. Every region has its own interstate highway truck stop brands but they're all the same idea.

Buc-ees is not the same idea you son of a bitch.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Buc-ees is not the same idea you son of a bitch.

Is this the part where I remind you that "Don't Mess With Texas" is an anti-littering campaign slogan?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slidebite posted:

That is the world’s largest convenience store in New Braunfels, sixty‐six thousand, three hundred and thirty‐five square feet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Platystemon posted:

That is the world’s largest convenience store in New Braunfels, sixty‐six thousand, three hundred and thirty‐five square feet.

Not very convenient if u ask me.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BigPaddy posted:

Buckee’s is great. All the trashy gifts and junk food you could ever want.
Buckee’s doesn’t have truck parking so I drive past them and want to go in but my 53 foot trailer is dummy thicc so I can’t get in.

Love’s is my favored truck stop. They are expanding by building new stores while Pilot is just buying up old existing stores and remodeling them. TA and Petro have better mechanic shops but that’s it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The latest australia dash cam is quite wild

https://youtu.be/PXdkVl9jD1w

Handful of geniuses self owning with their crashes(that they were responsible for)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 5, 2022