Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Tell your boss and either have IT supply it, or buy it yourself and expense it. There's surely a procedure for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Sounds like you need to just get a proper docking station for your work laptop.

Yeah, IT gave us all one of these when they gave us our laptops and it works well enough

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-usb-c-dock-g5-p-26d32aa-abl-1

Granted, I work for HP so it probably didn't cost them the full $250 to do that, but hey.

I still just installed Parsec and connect to it remotely

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Azhais posted:

I still just installed Parsec and connect to it remotely

Did you have to manually unpack it? Feels like a huge vulnerability for HP to allow staff to run foreign executables even if you didn't have to run the setup.exe on it.

I manually unpacked Diablo 2 at one of my first hospital jobs onto my partition of the shared network drive because I would be there all night without a call sometimes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
We've got pretty much full admin rights. IT has some service running that enforces a blacklist but it's pretty lax

I should really see if synergy or similar works, parsec is fairly lovely as a productivity app, it's all focused on games

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

You can have the edgerouter acting as the WAN gateway, and have an isolated port that passes traffic between the modem and the google device, without using a VLAN. The google device will just see the edgerouter as the same as the modem, and the actual modem will just see the edgerouter.

I'm real sorry, I'm probably a moron and for the life of me I can't find documentation on what it means to be a WAN gateway: What configuration specifically would be handling this? Would it be setting a port(s) to be a Switch only edit: no of course its not... or is there some fancier voodoo going on?

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 20, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have a truenas machine I haven't used in months. I turned it on today, and from my windows pc I'm able to do `ssh user@truenas`, and it resolves to `truenas.local` and logs in. But if I do `nslookup truenas` or `nslookup truenas.local` I get this:

code:
$ nslookup truenas.local
Server:  gateway.home
Address:  192.168.254.254

*** gateway.home can't find truenas.local: Non-existent domain
What the gently caress? What's resolving the name for ssh?

E: oh and the web UI is accessible at truenas/ also.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

I have a truenas machine I haven't used in months. I turned it on today, and from my windows pc I'm able to do `ssh user@truenas`, and it resolves to `truenas.local` and logs in. But if I do `nslookup truenas` or `nslookup truenas.local` I get this:

code:
$ nslookup truenas.local
Server:  gateway.home
Address:  192.168.254.254

*** gateway.home can't find truenas.local: Non-existent domain
What the gently caress? What's resolving the name for ssh?

E: oh and the web UI is accessible at truenas/ also.

This isn't one of my strong suits, but isn't nslookup just querying DNS? It doesn't strike me as odd that something on your local network doesn't have a domain name.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Is it resolving with mDNS instead? nslookup uses DNS but multicast DNS lets you look up something on the local network even in the absence of a DNS server on the local network.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Evis posted:

Is it resolving with mDNS instead? nslookup uses DNS but multicast DNS lets you look up something on the local network even in the absence of a DNS server on the local network.

That's what it was, yeah. :v:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kind of a cross-over into home automation / IYG territory, but I've been planning for awhile to add OTA to my coax / MoCA network, so I can feed my HD HomeRun + any TVs I have can at least have OTA stuff. Finally got the antenna today (https://winegard.com/flatwave-amped-pro/) and... attaching it to my MoCA amp/splitter (https://www.ppc-online.com/product-search/amp-splitter-ppc-9m-u-u) knocks out my MoCA network entirely, if I have the antenna amp powered. Un-powering it, everything seems to be fine, though my HD HomeRun still doesn't seem to get all the channels it should... but as far as I can tell, the OTA and MoCA network is co-existing.

I don't have any CATV coming in -- my cable coming in just goes straight to my modem, so no issue there. OTA frequencies should be all well below 1 GHz (~800 MHz for UHF), and AFAIK, Actiontec devices use Band D for MoCA, which should be north of 1 GHz. Maybe the amplified antenna signal is just swamping the front-end of the amplifier + the front-end of the HD HomeRun? If I run the amplified antenna output right into the HD HomeRun, it also reports no channels found... so I think the output of that antenna seems only suited to feed right into a TV's receiver.

It's probably just two amps in a row crushing the incoming data / symbols into an unreadable, distorted mess, I guess. Maybe I need to shop for a passive model...

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

Kind of a cross-over into home automation / IYG territory, but I've been planning for awhile to add OTA to my coax / MoCA network, so I can feed my HD HomeRun + any TVs I have can at least have OTA stuff. Finally got the antenna today (https://winegard.com/flatwave-amped-pro/) and... attaching it to my MoCA amp/splitter (https://www.ppc-online.com/product-search/amp-splitter-ppc-9m-u-u) knocks out my MoCA network entirely, if I have the antenna amp powered. Un-powering it, everything seems to be fine, though my HD HomeRun still doesn't seem to get all the channels it should... but as far as I can tell, the OTA and MoCA network is co-existing.

I don't have any CATV coming in -- my cable coming in just goes straight to my modem, so no issue there. OTA frequencies should be all well below 1 GHz (~800 MHz for UHF), and AFAIK, Actiontec devices use Band D for MoCA, which should be north of 1 GHz. Maybe the amplified antenna signal is just swamping the front-end of the amplifier + the front-end of the HD HomeRun? If I run the amplified antenna output right into the HD HomeRun, it also reports no channels found... so I think the output of that antenna seems only suited to feed right into a TV's receiver.

It's probably just two amps in a row crushing the incoming data / symbols into an unreadable, distorted mess, I guess. Maybe I need to shop for a passive model...

Yeah, I wouldn't trust any antenna amplifier not to poo poo out garbage on frequencies it's not supposed to.

Depending on where you are, I'd go with an unamplified directional antenna, assuming most of the transmitters you want to pick up are in one general direction. https://www.antennaweb.org is a good tool for figuring out where your local transmitters are.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Do you need to use the same coax for data as you do for OTA? Easiest would be to segregate the two segments, I have a separate coax bundle and splitter specifically for OTA vs the dedicated feed for the modem, but I could split it down further if needed.

Otherwise I'd try it without the amp. I'm about 30-40 miles from our broadcast towers, and don't need an amplifier. I've got a directional antenna in the attic aimed basically to the middle of the three main tower sites, and don't have any issues with reception except during really terrible storms.

What HD Home run are you using, btw? I've got to add one eventually, because most of our TVs are networked anyway, and it'd be nice to have a centralized DVR they could stream from.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't trust any antenna amplifier not to poo poo out garbage on frequencies it's not supposed to.

Depending on where you are, I'd go with an unamplified directional antenna, assuming most of the transmitters you want to pick up are in one general direction. https://www.antennaweb.org is a good tool for figuring out where your local transmitters are.

I’m in the middle of Seattle (literally 1.2 miles from most of the transmitters), so I don’t need much. I’d really like to reliably get KCPQ (Fox) for football in the fall, but for whatever reason, my HDHomeRun seems to occasionally only get the ATSC 3.0 low bitrate HEVC stream and misses the usual 8VSB signal.

We barely watch live TV; this is mostly for the simple thing of being able to do something as seemingly simple as watch free, OTA TV on my computer while playing video games or something. And an excuse to tinker…

Reading more about my device though, I’m pretty sure I was hilariously crushing the input signal to the HDHomeRun.

PitViper posted:

Do you need to use the same coax for data as you do for OTA? Easiest would be to segregate the two segments, I have a separate coax bundle and splitter specifically for OTA vs the dedicated feed for the modem, but I could split it down further if needed.

Yeah — on phone, so can’t draw, but basically I have Comcast in, router directly to my modem. Then, I have run all the existing coax drops in my house (fun fact: there are 3-4 I can’t tone out, so I sense some hidden splitters somewhere! And, I found a live jack that I could have used two years ago to deploy a WiFi AP…) to that 8-port MoCA compliant distro amp. That is the amp I want to feed with OTA, with the end result of every coax port in my house having OTA TV on it (under 800 MHz) and MoCA data connectivity (Band D), should I decide I need Ethernet somewhere I can’t run cable / want a backup to an Ethernet link.

If I went back to cable TV, I’d just run the Comcast line directly to that amp, and hook my modem up to the passive -4.5 dB port.

quote:

Otherwise I'd try it without the amp. I'm about 30-40 miles from our broadcast towers, and don't need an amplifier. I've got a directional antenna in the attic aimed basically to the middle of the three main tower sites, and don't have any issues with reception except during really terrible storms.

What HD Home run are you using, btw? I've got to add one eventually, because most of our TVs are networked anyway, and it'd be nice to have a centralized DVR they could stream from.

I got the Flex 4K; don’t need a DVR, don’t really need the four tuners, but it’s nice and cheap.

Here’s my LV cabinet I finished a few weekends ago, to clean up random stuff shoved around:

I’ve since buttoned down most of the wiring / got rid of the old cables on the side that I had previously attached to the wall… now it’s all in the ENT coming in from the top. Got a S33 too, now.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried plugging your Comcast feed into your HD HomeRun? Around here they still feed the local broadcast stations in the clear that a TV tuner can pick up even if you don't pay for cable TV.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I'm going to be moving in a few weeks, and figure now would be a good time to install a proper mesh wifi network in the new home, as long as i'm going to be running cables anyway. I saw the OP hasn't been updated in a few years- what mesh devices are generally accepted as being Not poo poo these days? Anyone have any particularly good experiences they could recommend?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I like the omada stuff, good experiences with it so far, simple, easy to setup and so far it just works. The price is quite reasonable too especially if you go for the slightly older APs, I went with a couple EAP225s off eBay for cheap.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rakeris posted:

I like the omada stuff, good experiences with it so far, simple, easy to setup and so far it just works. The price is quite reasonable too especially if you go for the slightly older APs, I went with a couple EAP225s off eBay for cheap.

That's what I'm running and have experienced zero issues thus far.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Just Offscreen posted:

I'm going to be moving in a few weeks, and figure now would be a good time to install a proper mesh wifi network in the new home, as long as i'm going to be running cables anyway. I saw the OP hasn't been updated in a few years- what mesh devices are generally accepted as being Not poo poo these days? Anyone have any particularly good experiences they could recommend?

So do you want mesh or are you running cables? If running cables, the suggestions above (Omada) or Ubiquiti will be most recommended here, I think. For mesh, I think Eero and Orbi are often discussed here but I don’t have personal experience with either.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Beef Of Ages posted:

That's what I'm running and have experienced zero issues thus far.

Yep been running for years without an issue. I find the OC200 controller to be nice if you don't mind the added expense but I have no idea how critical it is to the stability of my setup.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

thiazi posted:

So do you want mesh or are you running cables? If running cables, the suggestions above (Omada) or Ubiquiti will be most recommended here, I think. For mesh, I think Eero and Orbi are often discussed here but I don’t have personal experience with either.

Im running cables to the various places I want the APs to live. Ive not had great experiences with tplink- has anyone used the google nest wifi setup?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

80k posted:

Yep been running for years without an issue. I find the OC200 controller to be nice if you don't mind the added expense but I have no idea how critical it is to the stability of my setup.

you can also run software controller on a PC or roll one on a Pi

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The selling point of “mesh systems” in the home networking market is using a wireless backhaul instead of cables, although some do support using wired anyways. It appears the older Google WiFi does, the newer Google Nest WiFi does not.

Most people here don’t care for them as these systems tend to be locked down and heavily proprietary but if all you want is plug and play they’ll work (if they support your wired connection). I agree tp-link wireless routers aren’t very good as they’re the cheapest for a reason but there’s nothing wrong with their consumer managed switches. I prefer Unifi access points over omada but they are never available and the omada router (er-605) is fine but I’d personally go with a pfsense/opensense solution.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Just Offscreen posted:

I tried the mesh thing with wired backhaul (the asus ones). the biggest downside was lack of ports on the AP itself. Most of my streaming devices are set up to use wired ethernet, so I went back to using routers re-purposed to APs. The per station cost is about the same if you buy the $100 router.

However, I got eero's for my parents and in-laws. Best decision I ever made for them, thise things "just work" and make my life lots easier

movax
Aug 30, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Have you tried plugging your Comcast feed into your HD HomeRun? Around here they still feed the local broadcast stations in the clear that a TV tuner can pick up even if you don't pay for cable TV.

I haven’t… I would just need to add a splitter, but I think I’m just going to mount an unamplified antenna properly on my roof and run it down.

This is what I ended with, the white coax is the unamped output from the Winegard antenna — it’s probably eating extra unnecessary loss from an unpowered PA. I’ll add another ENT tube to the top to run the roof antenna coax down.

All so I can reliably watch the Lions crush my hopes and dreams this fall, again.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
FWIW, my antenna is just mounted inside my attic and works great. So don't feel like you have to mount it outside, unless your roof is steel or something like that. This one:

GE Pro Attic Mount TV Antenna

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYMVPVX

No amp, just a wire run direct down to the LV rack and into a splitter for the rest of the outlets.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've finally got some more testing on the Dual WAN setup i've been working on. And as a networking idiot I figure someone here can either learn from or critique. As everything this network is advanced overkill for fun and education, in reality I could be fine with the original edgerouterX and single AP that I expanded this from. Actual relevant use case is I have a bunch of electronics dev boards plugged into and around the 24 port switch so I can test out FPGA/Arduino/RaspberryPi/etc builds without having to leave my desk. Next goal is to be able to do it remotely over VPN, and even have certain other friends also be able to remote into the electronics lab and load a build and then see the data logs pop off the oscilloscope.

WAN 1 is lovely cable internet, coming in through an Arris T25 (Massively overkill for the speeds I am offered in my area), which then passes through the PoE adapter to my EdgerouterX on eth0. eth0 is setup as a standard DHCP WAN port, and switch0 is again a standard 192.168.1.1/24 covering eth1, eth2, and eth3 (But I have 'VLAN Aware' off and I don't know if I should turn it on) and DHCP server covering 192.168.1.0/24

1st VLAN is for my work laptop and on tag 10 and switch0.10 at 10.10.10.1/24 and its own DHCP server covering 10.10.10.0/24, and DNS forwarding onto switch0.10. For the firewall rules I originally tried just have a drop rule pair for anything between address-group NETv4_switch0 and address-group NETv4_switch0.10 and that just made my work VPN break. I need to learn more about firewall rules now.

eth1 is currently the only connected downlink and goes to a USW-Pro-24. From there is a few other switches and APs, but we are concerned with the flex mini and AP in the attic.

the flex mini and pro-24 both have one of their ports tagged with a VLAN tag 20 themselves through the Unifi GUI, in the attic I've not got the Starlink router bypass to that port, which then passes it seamlessly down and out of the 24 port. This then gets plugged into the ERX eth4 interface which is also set up as a DHCP WAN. load-balance is turned on between eth0 and eth4, but no route-test options setup.

So far after about a week i've had great success with the actual function of it, and while starlink isn't great its a lot better than the cable internet I get here in the woods. Definitely need to figure out how to write good firewall rules though.

As far as I can tell the ERX is only loading for traffic at the network edges right? Anything internal from my NAS seems to go through the switches and APs without touching the router? Or am I just not looking in the right places to see that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Famethrowa posted:

I'm real sorry, I'm probably a moron and for the life of me I can't find documentation on what it means to be a WAN gateway: What configuration specifically would be handling this? Would it be setting a port(s) to be a Switch only edit: no of course its not... or is there some fancier voodoo going on?

A WAN gateway is the interface between your personal home network and the wider internet. Everything on the LAN (Local Area Network) side of the WAN (Wide Area Network) gateway has its own address, but on the whole they only have one IP that the WAN sees, and the gateway does the translation between them. To pass the modem to your google device like you described you should just be able to setup a simple static route and take the plug for the google mesh off of your other collection of switched interfaces, and then it won't be on a VLAN like you were having problems with.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Anyone have any recommendations for small, cheap, POE powered switches? Looking for a couple dumb switches but if there are smart ones that are reasonably priced that's fine too.

Not sure why but I am having a hard time finding switches that are POE powered, I would have thought they would be easy to find, not have to plug them in and all, but maybe I'm not using the correct terminology or something?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Try searching for PoE extender switch. I get better results with that.

No recommendations from me as I've never used any. I have a bunch of d-link 5 and 8 port gig dumb switches though and they work as advertised.

This might be worth checking out https://www.dlink.com/en/products/dgs-1100-05pd-5-port-gigabit-poe-smart-managed-switch-and-poe-extender

It looks like you'll be paying a decent premium to avoid using a wall wart though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rakeris posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for small, cheap, POE powered switches? Looking for a couple dumb switches but if there are smart ones that are reasonably priced that's fine too.

Not sure why but I am having a hard time finding switches that are POE powered, I would have thought they would be easy to find, not have to plug them in and all, but maybe I'm not using the correct terminology or something?

If you're not opposed to Unifi there's the Switch Flex Mini, 5 ports POE.
https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-switching/products/usw-flex-mini

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
The Flex Mini owns, it's about as big as a deck of cards and managed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
This popped up on the ServeTheHome deals forum - looks like a good price, any commentary? I assume loud fans, limited compatibility with modules (because it’s branded and not, say, Mikrotik)?

Lenovo CE0128PB 24-Port 1GbE RJ45 + 4-Port SFP+ 10GbE Managed L2/L3 Rack-Mountable PoE Campus Network Switch SSG7A46647 7Z360012WW 7Z36CTO02WW https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09BK8RYCS/

edit: oh booo that’s 24x1 not 24x10

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 31, 2022

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

withoutclass posted:

The Flex Mini owns, it's about as big as a deck of cards and managed.

Note that while the Flex Mini is managed, it doesn't support custom port profiles: https://community.ui.com/questions/USW-Flex-Mini-missing-Custom-Switch-Port-Profiles/f7d5b1f2-a1d2-484f-81b8-4599a2fdeb92

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah I ran into this at work, IIRC, the chipset used totally can support the complexity of multiple VLANs, UI’s SW just does not export it. So — as long as you only want ONE VLAN per port max, it is fine.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Rap Game Goku posted:

If you're not opposed to Unifi there's the Switch Flex Mini, 5 ports POE.
https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-switching/products/usw-flex-mini

Not a bad price, and I assume if I don't set it up to work with the controller it will just work as an unmanaged switch?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Wrong thread.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Rakeris posted:

Not a bad price, and I assume if I don't set it up to work with the controller it will just work as an unmanaged switch?

Yeah it will, but the value of it is when you have a Unifi PoE switch on the other side so there's no power cable and you get the awesome management stuffs

there's plenty of small unmanaged gbit switches out there these days for pennies

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Sniep posted:

Yeah it will, but the value of it is when you have a Unifi PoE switch on the other side so there's no power cable and you get the awesome management stuffs

there's plenty of small unmanaged gbit switches out there these days for pennies

Yeah but I can't find any as cheap as that unifi one that I can power with POE. I mostly use omada things atm, so not sure I want to bother with another controller. Which is why I was thinking just using it unmanaged.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Here i was, all ready to jump into the Ubiquiti ecosystem so I can have a reliable network throughout my house/backyard office. All I wanted was an ethernet connection throughout so I could have wired desktop PCs and NAS, with most other devices connecting over wifi.

The goal being, a single named wireless network (at the moment the random routers I use as access points have different names so your connection drops in and out as you walk through the house on a laptop) and being able to watch high bitrate Plex content on my two TVs via my NAS.

I purchased a NanoHD for an access point in my house and have been waiting for the last month for the UDM I ordered to come in stock which I was going to put out in my office. The day of stock arrival comes and I check the website and the ETA is now mid-September. As it is with every other shop near me. Jesus Christ.

Anyone have any suggestions for a router (and standalone modem if you feel I need to upgrade my TP Link TL-WR841N) that I can use as an alternative to the UDM? I really don't wanna put up with the random assortment of lovely hardware I have for the next 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'd say find an UDM or an EdgerouterX from another vendor, but almost everyone is out of stock, or use your current router with the NanoHD and all unifi access points, you don't need everything to be unifi for it to work