Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Not sure if it's just the anchor planets or if space whale pods have a chance ot show up everywhere now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Dareon posted:

Not sure if it's just the anchor planets or if space whale pods have a chance ot show up everywhere now.

I think I only saw them on planets found by Hello Games, but I wasn't really keeping track. I haven't seen them on my main save at all.

I rage quit after getting to the end of stage one and getting killed by a never ending wave of monstrosities. But gave it another shot this weekend and completed the expedition. Other than obviously inventory management and doing my best to not die to random interactions, the biggest pain the butt for me was finding a freighter crash. Normally they are all over, but when I was looking for one they were no where to be found and the planetary charts and emergency beacons all just led me to downed ships and infested buildings. I finally just happened to find one after giving up the search and started looking for an anchor point.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Okay, what the heck, I completed all the milestones but I can't seem to unlock the leviathan frigate? Is this a weird bug?

Edit:

Vasler fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 29, 2022

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

It's a bug for everyone. Just waiting on the patch.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

The bug is that the final reward button is counting the optional tasks as mandatory. Since those are community tasks, all you can do is wait for the community to finish those or wait for the patch, whichever comes first.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
There's a fix already in an experimental branch so it wouldn't surprise me to see it during the week.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I swear someone stole my ship.

I died, respawned, and dashed to where my ship was. When I got to the marker, my ship was sitting next to an exosuit expansion pod, and 2 other player owned ships. I was getting ready to stop for the night, so I jumped in and out of my ship to save, and I shut it down.

Today, when I load up the game, I'm standing next to the drop pod, but there's no ships around. I start turning around to spot my ship marker on the hud, and I see it 17 minutes away, and increasing. Figuring it might be a bug, I reloaded, but this time my ship was even further away. So I just jumped off a cliff.

I wonder if somehow my ship got flagged as an abandoned crash, and somebody fixed it and took off.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Playing this expedition I'm reminded why I hate people.

I've found quite a few of those outposts that have a landing pad and a multitool, vendor, and npc inside getting blocked off by players. They build a base then wall off the doors.

What's the point?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's just your standard griefer except they haven't yet realised that absolutely everyone can circumvent their work within seconds as reporting the base as inappropriate immediately despawns the entire thing for you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Floppychop posted:

Playing this expedition I'm reminded why I hate people.

I've found quite a few of those outposts that have a landing pad and a multitool, vendor, and npc getting blocked off by players. They build a base then wall off the doors.

What's the point?

Wow, dicks. That sucks.

My wife just kind of got the 'hook' of this game. She finally found a planet that she loves and just unlocked a ton of base parts. Found two pets and is like 'I really like this now.'

Yesssssss :getin:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

It's just your standard griefer except they haven't yet realised that absolutely everyone can circumvent their work within seconds as reporting the base as inappropriate immediately despawns the entire thing for you.

I didn't know about the report trick. I just sighed and moved on.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man it's been less than a year since I last played this and still couldn't remember how to play for 10 minutes after restarting. Maybe I shouldn't have dived into the expedition.

Dareon posted:

Well, I can never allow myself to die now.

That one actually spawns in the second rendezvous system, if you want one yourself. I just flew into the station, saw it sitting on the pad as I landed, and sprinted over to slam-buy it, not caring what it cost and hoping to god the pilot didn't bug out and disappear because multiplayer.

This is cool.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
This expedition was fun. Not nearly as tedious as the one with all the cooking. Died once about 5 minutes into it by accidentally launching myself off a mountain and forgetting i had a 'babys first rocket pack' with 1 ounce of propellant.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I hope whoever decided rogue-like was a good choice for this buggy-rear end game steps on a LEGO every day. They need to know that people aren't playing this because "oh boy, I enjoy the challenge of losing all progress to a bug" and instead it's just for the drat space whale.

I just got wombo-d by an NPC fleet because I was defending them and one shot clipped a frigate.

There's far too much grinding for mats to progress to have all progress reset on death when there's a gorillion different ways to die due to bullshit. Earlier I barely managed to alt+f4 in time when I tried flying to my freighter and ended up inside of it with my shield/hp dropping insanely fast.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've died four times to fall damage because I'm so used to having a maxed jetpack.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Floppychop posted:

There's far too much grinding for mats to progress to have all progress reset on death when there's a gorillion different ways to die due to bullshit.

tbh I ended up having a much better time with this expedition when I shed entirely my usual expedition approach of "load up on credits/nanites/blueprints, then go deal with the expedition" and just let the expedition lead me around by the nose, picking up rewards immediately and hoarding nothing. I had several abortive attempts where I spent Way Too Long hoarding up credits and nanites with the idea of being in a position to pick things up if I needed them and then dying to dumb poo poo, where I would have been already done with the expedition if I had just said "gently caress it" and done the bare minimum to get to the next achievement/anchor point.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Ghostlight posted:

I've died four times to fall damage because I'm so used to having a maxed jetpack.

It's not just the weak jetpack that's done me in more than once, it's also the fact that you start off with such little health that you can barely fall a few feet and die.
I've done okay after the first few deaths, but I'm also trying my hardest to avoid anything that might kill me. Which means that I've been going through the Anchor Points and dropping bases along the way so I can get a fast start if I die again. I'll need to go back and collect some things like Sentinel kills and Whispering eggs once I've set up a few more bases.

I'm not a fan of this, I hope they don't do this rogue-like thing on future expeditions.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

tbh I ended up having a much better time with this expedition when I shed entirely my usual expedition approach of "load up on credits/nanites/blueprints, then go deal with the expedition" and just let the expedition lead me around by the nose, picking up rewards immediately and hoarding nothing. I had several abortive attempts where I spent Way Too Long hoarding up credits and nanites with the idea of being in a position to pick things up if I needed them and then dying to dumb poo poo, where I would have been already done with the expedition if I had just said "gently caress it" and done the bare minimum to get to the next achievement/anchor point.

Yeah, this has been my experience. The only time I've hoarded was when I trekked across a planet's surface for like two hours digging up data so I could unlock the Nutrient Processor. Built five in one base, and I'm going to be using them to build units if I loop again.

Almost did, too, I did Anchor 4 without a fire protection module. Definitely save your pillar map for that one, because in dealing with the heat, I often stopped running long enough to let the sentinel trying to scan me catch up.

...May I help you, officer?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I completed everything but I died a couple times to some weird bug where I got booty blasted super high up in the sky and cratered because my jetpack sucked. Like, some random hostile creature just walked up to me and launched me into the sky once, it was ridiculous.

Highlight for me was finding a planet named, "Giggity" on my journey.

I liked how you got modules for completing steps, that was pretty cool. I swear though, some of the later planets you find memories on were just cursed. I was (thankfully) in my minotaur because on two separate planets, I managed to step off a precipice and the drop was so long that I thought my game was going to crash.

Thank god the minotaur suit doesn't take fall damage!

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
4 was a hard one thanks to those.
I did it in the Minotaur mech, so I could just keep jump-jetting away.
I probably could've taken care of some of them, but I didn't get a cannon for the mech until after Anchor Point 5.
There was an absolutely giant hole in the ground and I got sent away from my ship somehow so that was a fun trek to find a good spot where I could recall it and fly away.

Oh, and after Anchor Point 5 it tells you to go into space and pulse around to remember.. that starts a derelict freighter. Don't do what I did and do that with a full inventory. I was hoping to make it to the space station to sell some stuff first, but then that spawned and I wasn't sure if I would break it if I flew away anyways.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Was there an update today or something? Ever since this morning I'm getting No Connection To Matchmaking Services. I play through GOG which doesn't have an update. I apparently need the matchmaking connection to get the global loop progression. Loop 2 must be done by now, I want those A class fragments.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Still 4% away from completing loop 2.

Also, tornadoes are a thing in this game. Be careful in storms.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I found a planet made of poo poo.

Also could someone explain how exocraft and freighters are supposed to work. I have the station built on my freighter and an exocraft summoning station. What do?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I found a planet made of poo poo.

Also could someone explain how exocraft and freighters are supposed to work. I have the station built on my freighter and an exocraft summoning station. What do?

I think I figured this out last night. You keep the giant radar dish looking thing folded up in your pocket. You build the exocraft display stand thing on literally any base you have in the universe. Then you go down to any other planet, unfold the radar dish, summon your exocraft, and fold the dish back up.

Now if you can do the same on a freighter, I might do that just so I don't feel weird when I'm summoning an exocraft from its garage a trillion miles away.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The summoning station lets you summon exocraft anywhere in the solar system in which it's built.
The capital ship exocraft materialiser lets you summon exocraft as long as your capital ship is in the same solar system.

Separately, you need to build at least one exocraft terminal somewhere in order to be able summon that exocraft at all.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ghostlight posted:

Separately, you need to build at least one exocraft terminal somewhere in order to be able summon that exocraft at all.

Ah, the missing piece of the puzzle.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My main base has platforms for the car, hovercraft, and mech just in a row on my patio, with the big fuckoff cargo hauler stuffed in the backyard. The motorcycle got put on a random farming planet, and the Nautilon also on a farming planet, but one that happens to be right on the water.

I only really ever use the hovercraft.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I glitch-placed my nautilon on dry land just so I could have all of them in one spot and it's always a little :allears: when it slowly rolls around like a tumbleweed

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The mech is pretty slowww but the jetpack jump is always fun.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The expedition was fun. I don't think I've ever had quite the same feeling of exploring dangerous territory in NMS as gingerly trying to navigate up and down chasms on the final phase, or quite the excitement of lucking myself into different ways of getting tens of millions immediately on starting each loop to spend on ion batteries and life gels.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How I feel about this game:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Any tips to "blitz" the expedition? I just want the space whale and couldn't care less about optional posters or whatever.

I'm used to roguelikes being an hour or two for a full run. Real feelsbad losing multiple hours of progress due to buggy situations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Floppychop posted:

Any tips to "blitz" the expedition? I just want the space whale and couldn't care less about optional posters or whatever.

I'm used to roguelikes being an hour or two for a full run. Real feelsbad losing multiple hours of progress due to buggy situations.

You gave to complete all sub-rewards to get the whale.

Recommendation one would be "give it a week or two", both so that the global stuff gives you S upgrades right off the bat, you get more freebies from claiming those globals, and so the current experimental build makes it to main-- right now the whale is unclaimable because the global rewards are erroneously marked as required, and there's some additional bug fixes to prevent "actual death from falling through space" and probably others by now.

Recommendation two would be beeline for the first anchor system and abuse the bases of people who've thrown
down things like nipnip farms and pre-marked "the good stuff".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How in the hell do I find a good enough place for my electromagnetic generator? I use the power scanner but it just says 'no suitable places nearby' and gives me no hints.

I've been on friends' planets and have used the scanner to find hotspots, so I know how it's supposed to be when I'm somewhat near one but have to keep looking, but this is just giving me nothing.

Do some planets not have spots for these?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How in the hell do I find a good enough place for my electromagnetic generator? I use the power scanner but it just says 'no suitable places nearby' and gives me no hints.

I've been on friends' planets and have used the scanner to find hotspots, so I know how it's supposed to be when I'm somewhat near one but have to keep looking, but this is just giving me nothing.

Do some planets not have spots for these?

It will only show hotspots within 400u. However, it does an audio cue if you're further away. If you're wearing headphones, the audio ping is directional. Once you face toward the nearest hotspot, either by randomly pointing or by the directional listening method, the ping will become higher pitched. Head in that direction until the visual cue appears within 400u, then proceed like normal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Floppychop posted:

I hope whoever decided rogue-like was a good choice for this buggy-rear end game steps on a LEGO every day. They need to know that people aren't playing this because "oh boy, I enjoy the challenge of losing all progress to a bug" and instead it's just for the drat space whale.

I just got wombo-d by an NPC fleet because I was defending them and one shot clipped a frigate.

There's far too much grinding for mats to progress to have all progress reset on death when there's a gorillion different ways to die due to bullshit. Earlier I barely managed to alt+f4 in time when I tried flying to my freighter and ended up inside of it with my shield/hp dropping insanely fast.

Are you playing on a system with access to a trainer, that sounds like a straight up, "gently caress this I'll cheat the fun back in" situation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CaptainSkinny posted:

It will only show hotspots within 400u. However, it does an audio cue if you're further away. If you're wearing headphones, the audio ping is directional. Once you face toward the nearest hotspot, either by randomly pointing or by the directional listening method, the ping will become higher pitched. Head in that direction until the visual cue appears within 400u, then proceed like normal.

Ah, ok, thanks! I'll do that tonight.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So I figured I'd check out the soundtrack to the game, even though most of the music is prog-gen stuff there are the few tracks that play every time you start a new game or finish a mission or whatever, and the soundtrack is pretty great as it turns out. I typically check out soundtracks for games I like but for some reason it never occurred to me to do that for this game before. Maybe because the music in the game plays relatively rarely.

65daysofstatic is the band responsible for the music and the album is called, appropriately "Music for an Infinite Universe" and I really dig it. It's synths, guitars, percussion and all kinds of interesting glitchy tunes. It's neat to have a bunch of ambience and discordant sounds and suddenly a recognizable tune from the game happens.

I'm sure most of you recognize this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZehJQWR2IIc

Weirdly the trailer music that they've used since the beginning isn't on the album, it's on the band's previous (I think) one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlydRRs1BMQ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

So I figured I'd check out the soundtrack to the game, even though most of the music is prog-gen stuff there are the few tracks that play every time you start a new game or finish a mission or whatever, and the soundtrack is pretty great as it turns out. I typically check out soundtracks for games I like but for some reason it never occurred to me to do that for this game before. Maybe because the music in the game plays relatively rarely.

65daysofstatic is the band responsible for the music and the album is called, appropriately "Music for an Infinite Universe" and I really dig it. It's synths, guitars, percussion and all kinds of interesting glitchy tunes. It's neat to have a bunch of ambience and discordant sounds and suddenly a recognizable tune from the game happens.

I'm sure most of you recognize this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZehJQWR2IIc

Weirdly the trailer music that they've used since the beginning isn't on the album, it's on the band's previous (I think) one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlydRRs1BMQ

I love this track so much that, as a fellow (albeit small time) composer, it makes me jealous I didn't write it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9SEjBNOY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

65 are a cool band if you're into that kind of music. They do good live shows as well