Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arken_ca
Sep 14, 2011
I'm looking to go to an AIO water cooler, my Cooler Master NR600 can fit either a 360 intake in the front or a 280 exhaust on top. Is either one better than the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb...7n68BXQS.PdzgkQ

Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X + 32GB of Gigabyte Aorus DDR5-5200 for $300. That's... actually a very reasonable price? That memory will probably perform similarly to your average 3200 - 3600 MHz DDR4, making this a surprisingly affordable way to get in on a DDR5 platform. edit: Though Gigabyte advertises only up to 6000 MHz memory speed, so upgradeability may be somewhat limited (perhaps some extra low-latency sticks at that speed will come out)

edit: out of stock, though this combo deal with a higher-end board is still in stock for a reasonable price.

Marcade posted:

Apologies for the vague question. I'm in the market to replace my computer and find building my own (irrationally) stressful. What retailers would y'all suggest as good/reputable for a pre-built?

It really depends on what exactly you want. Micro Center has usually has a decent selection and some well-made store-brand stuff (see the post immediately above yours), and Newegg's house brand (ABS) can also be decent, but for the most part, every retailer carries the same brands. Different brands and retailers put their products on sale every day, so it's really hard to recommend one specific retailer or brand as a result. It'll be easier if you just tell us what you're looking for so we can help you find something.

Arken_ca posted:

I'm looking to go to an AIO water cooler, my Cooler Master NR600 can fit either a 360 intake in the front or a 280 exhaust on top. Is either one better than the other?

I'd prefer exhaust in this setup. That way, your GPU still has an easy time getting fresh air. Your radiator will be taking in a fair bit of GPU exhaust, but I'd rather prioritize the GPU's cooling, and I think the CPU will be fine either way with a 280mm rad.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 30, 2022

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
I haven't upgraded my PC in 10 years and the GPU finally gave out.

Mostly play old games LoL, Disgaea, Civ, Diablo, etc.

Just want something cheap and robust that could hopefully handle modest settings for games of the current decade. Would rather work down from the build below pricewise but it's not a hard upper limit. Shooting for price/performance sweet spot in that ballpark.

PartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2VPsKp

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($169.94 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660-PLUS D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 8 GB MECH 2X Video Card ($314.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ B&H)
Total: $864.90

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
in my opinion some very solid choices in there, you must have been paying attention itt haha. you could get away with a slightly cheaper power supply and i would probably recommend a nice gold with a little more wattage (i went with 650 but somewhere around there) if you intend to upgrade it in it's operational life as GPUs are trending upwards in power consumption again, and there's an efficiency case for using less than your full capacity. i don't know what's better, a platinum at near full load or a gold a with some headroom, but imo that's the only thing that jumps out at me.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
so long as your target resolution is 1080 a 6600 will push some pretty good framerates in basically every title, and 314 bucks for that is like a loving wild thing to see in contrast with some of the pricing we've seen lately, lol. if you want to upgrade your resolution (1440p is the sweet spot, 4k is the high end) or your screen's refresh rate (usually 60 but can go super high, more useful at 1080 for competitive) you'll need more GPU basically.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crimpanzee posted:

I haven't upgraded my PC in 10 years and the GPU finally gave out.

Mostly play old games LoL, Disgaea, Civ, Diablo, etc.

Just want something cheap and robust that could hopefully handle modest settings for games of the current decade. Would rather work down from the build below pricewise but it's not a hard upper limit. Shooting for price/performance sweet spot in that ballpark.

PartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2VPsKp

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($169.94 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660-PLUS D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 8 GB MECH 2X Video Card ($314.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ B&H)
Total: $864.90

Consider the 6600 XT over the 6600. It's currently on sale for just $350 after rebate on Newegg, and it's absolutely worth the extra $35 over the non-XT: https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-6600-xt-rx6600xt-mech2x-8goc/p/N82E16814137682?quicklink=true

The power supply is a bit of an expensive one for the wattage. I'd overprovision on the wattage a little in case you ever want to upgrade the system down the line, and I'd also go with a cheaper 80+ gold model. The EVGA SuperNova GA is a solid choice

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Just as graphics card prices are finally dropping, I got a raise AND my wife's PC has died. Stars have aligned and I have the nod to build a new gaming PC so my old one can be passed over to her.

In the US, primarily going to be used for gaming / posting. I have a Micro Center within a reasonable drive (Sharonville, OH location)
I currently have a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor. I will probably stick with that for awhile although down the road may be considering switching primary to a 3440x1440. No real interest in 4k at this point.
I'd like to run at a stable fairly high refresh rate (90+) at high graphics settings (will be my first RT capable build), but I'm not an e-sports guy and don't care about fully maxing out refresh. Stability > raw FPS

Here's what I've put together so far based on this thread / others:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8XBXRv

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($274.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660M-A WIFI D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($1089.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case ($206.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2431.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-29 16:11 EDT-0400

Some specific questions I have:
- Badly out of date on what are good motherboards, so any recommendations there?
- Is the RTX3080 overkill for what I'm targeting? I need to build this fairly soon and can't wait for the 40XX releases, so I'd like to get something that should keep pace for a few years.
- Is the Fractal Design Torrent overkill for this build versus something like a Meshify? Planning on air cooling only and I don't have experience with fan tuning or undervolting.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
I would get a normal sized ATX board instead of a Micro ATX.

You should be able to get a better board for the same price.

Motherboard vendors wise ASUS is ok but MSI is another good shout (maybe consider the unify board from them)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 3080 is very powerful and can drive some high frame rates at 1440p, but I wouldn't call it overkill. It's future-proofed. :)

But really, you'll be thankful for the 3080 when playing some of the heavier AAA games out there, especially if you upgrade to 3440x1440. Though you shouldn't rely on PCPartPicker to find a GPU. It's missing a ton of different models from its database, and there are almost always cheaper prices available. The 3080 12GB has sold for as low as $820. Unfortunately, the prices at newegg have actually regressed a bit and I can't find any prices that good right now, but there's this Gigabyte 12GB model I found for $930: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gv-n3080gaming-oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932489?Item=N82E16814932489

edit: that gigabyte 3080 is $873 on Amazon now, for as long as it stays in stock at least (if the price is higher, that means it sold out): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QDWGNPG

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 30, 2022

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I need a power supply that can handle 12 3.5" SATA hard drives, no GPU load. Looks like Corsair has units substantially less expensive than my usual go-to Seasonic (specifically, this model appears to meet my needs on paper), is Corsair well-regarded again these days?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mkultra419 posted:

Some specific questions I have:
- Badly out of date on what are good motherboards, so any recommendations there?
- Is the RTX3080 overkill for what I'm targeting? I need to build this fairly soon and can't wait for the 40XX releases, so I'd like to get something that should keep pace for a few years.
- Is the Fractal Design Torrent overkill for this build versus something like a Meshify? Planning on air cooling only and I don't have experience with fan tuning or undervolting.

Addressing the other two questions here, I'd recommend the ASRock H670 Steel Legend if you don't need on-board wifi, or the Gigabyte B660 Gaming X if you do. The ASRock board has the possible advantage of having a PCIe Gen 5 GPU slot, though we're unlikely to see any cards that truly take advantage of that for several years at minimum (there's still a ton of headroom on the PCIe 4 bus). If you want to go higher-end, then the Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX has a decent sale price right now. It had some issues with memory support at launch, but that's been patched in some BIOS updates. The benefits of going with Z690 include the ability to overclock your CPU and an assload of IO, including four Gen4 m.2 slots and a ton of USB (and a Gen 5 GPU slot, but meh).

The Torrent is a fantastic case, but it can be overkill, yeah. You'd be able to build a well-cooled and quiet PC using a much cheaper case still, like the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh, which is a roomy, well-ventilated case that comes with a solid stock fan configuration.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 30, 2022

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for the recs. Took both pieces of advice and went with the 6600xt and the evga psu.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

mkultra419 posted:

Just as graphics card prices are finally dropping, I got a raise AND my wife's PC has died. Stars have aligned and I have the nod to build a new gaming PC so my old one can be passed over to her.

Yes, the Torrent (or Torrent Compact/Nano) is overkill. Fractal is a premium brand, and the Torrent series is priced at the top of their lineup.

My main personal PC is in a Torrent, but I've also built PCs in two Meshify cases in the last couple of years, using a Meshify C (which didn't include a front USB C, lol) and a Meshify 2. They were nice cases to work in but still cost more than comparable cases from other reputable brands. Additionally, Fractal usually doesn't put PWM fans in the Meshify series cases. That is disappointing when compared to the cheaper Lian Li Lancool II Mesh that Dr. Video Games 0031 linked, which does include PWM fans.

In my opinion, you have to really, really care about cable management features to make the premium pricing on Fractal cases make sense in a fully air-cooled build.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CyberPowerPC has a memorial day sale that offers surprisingly good prices on some prebuilts. Here's a 12600KF, 6800 XT, and 32GB of ram on a Z690 motherboard with a 360mm AIO cooler for $1502.90 (with the coupon code "MEMORIAL"): https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1QAH0W

That's almost $200 cheaper than what I can build an equivalent system for on PCPartPicker (even when forgoing the AIO for a cheap air cooler and going with a slower NVMe), and they let you pick all reputable parts. It would be nice if they let you choose a cheaper air cooler and a B660 motherboard, but oh well. It's still a good deal.

CyberPowerPC doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation, but the issues that crop up tend to be ones easily fixed by someone who knows their way around a computer.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 30, 2022

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 3080 is very powerful and can drive some high frame rates at 1440p, but I wouldn't call it overkill. It's future-proofed. :)

But really, you'll be thankful for the 3080 when playing some of the heavier AAA games out there, especially if you upgrade to 3440x1440. Though you shouldn't rely on PCPartPicker to find a GPU. It's missing a ton of different models from its database, and there are almost always cheaper prices available. The 3080 12GB has sold for as low as $820. Unfortunately, the prices at newegg have actually regressed a bit and I can't find any prices that good right now, but there's this Gigabyte 12GB model I found for $930: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gv-n3080gaming-oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932489?Item=N82E16814932489

edit: that gigabyte 3080 is $873 on Amazon now, for as long as it stays in stock at least (if the price is higher, that means it sold out): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QDWGNPG

Can you think of any reasons why they are regressing?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Figure the CPU is more and more of a weak link in my setup, so I've got a quick question while I'm doing some research: Can I keep using my three year old B450 Auros M if I wanna spring for a 5600X or 5800X? the 58' might be overkill, but I guess it's the same difference in terms of whether or not the motherboard is up to the task.

If I have to replace the motherboard I could just as well go for an Intel, but I figured from the last few pages that the AMD still has an edge.

If relevant I run an RTX 3080, 16 gigs of ram and my old CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 2600. Running a Corsair RM750 so I should have enough juice there. Located in Norway.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Black Griffon posted:

Figure the CPU is more and more of a weak link in my setup, so I've got a quick question while I'm doing some research: Can I keep using my three year old B450 Auros M if I wanna spring for a 5600X or 5800X? the 58' might be overkill, but I guess it's the same difference in terms of whether or not the motherboard is up to the task.

If I have to replace the motherboard I could just as well go for an Intel, but I figured from the last few pages that the AMD still has an edge.

If relevant I run an RTX 3080, 16 gigs of ram and my old CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 2600. Running a Corsair RM750 so I should have enough juice there. Located in Norway.

If you were buying new then no, Intel's 12th gen Alder Lake has Ryzen mostly matched or beaten across the board, but yeah you can do an in socket upgrade and depending on what you're doing you will see an appreciable benefit to it. Rather than the 5600X/5800X though I'd look at the 5600 or the 5700X, which lose negligible performance for the sake of a little cost saving.

Comedy answer would be the 5800X3D which is currently tied with the 12900KS as the best gaming CPU on the market, but seems to be rarer than rocking horse poo poo currently.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Butterfly Valley posted:

If you were buying new then no, Intel's 12th gen Alder Lake has Ryzen mostly matched or beaten across the board, but yeah you can do an in socket upgrade and depending on what you're doing you will see an appreciable benefit to it. Rather than the 5600X/5800X though I'd look at the 5600 or the 5700X, which lose negligible performance for the sake of a little cost saving.

Comedy answer would be the 5800X3D which is currently tied with the 12900KS as the best gaming CPU on the market, but seems to be rarer than rocking horse poo poo currently.

5600 is literally the same price as a 5600X over here, the 5700X is maybe $15 bucks cheaper than the 5800X doing some very rough conversion taking into account that stuff here is more expensive in general. If I go for the 5600 I might as well get the X, would you say the difference between the 5700X and 5800X is worth $15?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I need an ATX-sized mobo case recommendation. The max height dimension cannot exceed 17.5 inches. It's for my old Skylake rig so it's not critical to have max airflow. It'll have an m2 drive on it, so 2.5"/3.5" drive capacity isn't a consideration.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Also I'm stacking questions here, but is a 5600X vs. 5800X like a 3070 vs. a 3090 or more like a 2060ti vs. a 3080 or any other comparison of that nature?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Black Griffon posted:

Also I'm stacking questions here, but is a 5600X vs. 5800X like a 3070 vs. a 3090 or more like a 2060ti vs. a 3080 or any other comparison of that nature?

not really, but the long answer is going to take some explaining.

GPUs are relatively simple, you want the most you can get as they're the most indicative for gaming performance generally. so a 3070 is better than a 3060 and a 3080 is better at both in basically all gaming scenarios. the specifics here are quite variant because they're literally different little computers, with completely different chips, memory, thermal properties, etc. the 30 series is all more modern, but (for example) a 2080ti is slightly better than a 3070, but those similar comparisons are still difficult because of all the variants.

CPUs are not simple. first, the most important thing for gaming is the generation generally, but within that generation you've noticed there's a ton of differentiation - 5600, 5600x, 5700x, 5800x etc. this differentiation is really really more for non-gaming activities rather than anything else because the differentiation is mostly the number of cores you have, and 6 is generally enough. games just can't spread themselves over a ton of cores as easily as say a video compression can. so a 5600x and a 5800x, being the same generation will perform almost identically in the vast majority of games, but in other situations the 2 extra cores the 5800x has will be a benefit.

however! complexity upon complexity. it has also been demonstrated that the amount of cache a CPU has and how it is allocated can significantly increase performance, so we get the 5800X3D, with is just a 5800 with a massively increased 3D cache that performs much better than it in game CPU limited scenarios.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

It depends on what you want to do with the computer. In the vast majority of games a 5600X will not be the bottleneck even for a 3090ti. But a 5800X has more cpu power if you do heavy CPU workloads or use the CPU to do something heavy in the background while playing games.

I have a 9600k and 3080Ti and the GPU is able to hit 100% load no problem at 1440p 144hz

err posted:

Can you think of any reasons why they are regressing?

Crypto interest down, cost of energy up.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

spunkshui posted:

Crypto interest down, cost of energy up.

nah, other direction, regressing back upwards. and imo err it's demand, even with next gen around the corner there are absolute tons of people who still want a 3080 specifically (it being the best top tier card from a price/performance standpoint at anywhere near MSRP by a bit) and whenever prices drop there's a spurt of pent up demand until it normalizes.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

CoolCab posted:

not really, but the long answer is going to take some explaining.

GPUs are relatively simple, you want the most you can get as they're the most indicative for gaming performance generally. so a 3070 is better than a 3060 and a 3080 is better at both in basically all gaming scenarios. the specifics here are quite variant because they're literally different little computers, with completely different chips, memory, thermal properties, etc. the 30 series is all more modern, but (for example) a 2080ti is slightly better than a 3070, but those similar comparisons are still difficult because of all the variants.

CPUs are not simple. first, the most important thing for gaming is the generation generally, but within that generation you've noticed there's a ton of differentiation - 5600, 5600x, 5700x, 5800x etc. this differentiation is really really more for non-gaming activities rather than anything else because the differentiation is mostly the number of cores you have, and 6 is generally enough. games just can't spread themselves over a ton of cores as easily as say a video compression can. so a 5600x and a 5800x, being the same generation will perform almost identically in the vast majority of games, but in other situations the 2 extra cores the 5800x has will be a benefit.

however! complexity upon complexity. it has also been demonstrated that the amount of cache a CPU has and how it is allocated can significantly increase performance, so we get the 5800X3D, with is just a 5800 with a massively increased 3D cache that performs much better than it in game CPU limited scenarios.

Right right right, that's a really good explanation. So: what prompted all of this is that I can't watch Person of Interest and Breakpoint at the same time without VLC stuttering. I asked around a bit and people were pretty confident the CPU is the issue, but beyond indulging my ADHD in the aforementioned way, the only stuff I do other than gaming is voice recording (XLR and external sound card) and some rare streaming for friends.

So it kinda sounds like I don't need that 5800X. Question that remains is whether the same goes for the 5700 and in that case I should probably stop dragging my rear end and get the 5600X?

Edit: Just saw your post spunkshui and it sounds like 5600X huh

Edit 2: I'm willing to pay extra if it ensures I can watch my little movies and play games at the same time.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 30, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well, actually multitasking there's an argument. what i said applies to typical conditions, if you want to do a bunch of things and game at the same time, you have a use case for an extension. games struggle to saturate more than six cores, but if you are keeping you know one or more of them busy doing something else then maybe it's a better fit?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Hell, I might just be talking myself into it but I wouldn't entertain the idea if I couldn't spring the extra $100 or so. If I do go for that, should I just go the extra mile and get a 5800 instead of a 5700?

I mean, it's for my mental condition.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Black Griffon posted:

Hell, I might just be talking myself into it but I wouldn't entertain the idea if I couldn't spring the extra $100 or so. If I do go for that, should I just go the extra mile and get a 5800 instead of a 5700?

I mean, it's for my mental condition.

depends on the price you get but at MSRP here at least of the two imo the 5700x is much better value and AMD agreed given they deliberately chose to sit on them for like a year to force people into buying 5800x chips, lol

but hrm the other thing is i absolutely don't guarantee this will fix your playback stuttering issue, people report that with insane systems sometimes. it could just be an interaction between the game and windows or something.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

CoolCab posted:

depends on the price you get but at MSRP here at least of the two imo the 5700x is much better value and AMD agreed given they deliberately chose to sit on them for like a year to force people into buying 5800x chips, lol

but hrm the other thing is i absolutely don't guarantee this will fix your playback stuttering issue, people report that with insane systems sometimes. it could just be an interaction between the game and windows or something.

Yeah, it's never an easy answer with this stuff. I know that I want a new CPU (not just because of ADHD) and I nearly always use my second monitor for something, so maybe the 5700 is the safest bet at the end of the day.

And thanks to everyone for their great help. Very much appreciated.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

CyberPowerPC has a memorial day sale that offers surprisingly good prices on some prebuilts. Here's a 12600KF, 6800 XT, and 32GB of ram on a Z690 motherboard with a 360mm AIO cooler for $1502.90 (with the coupon code "MEMORIAL"): https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1QAH0W

That's almost $200 cheaper than what I can build an equivalent system for on PCPartPicker (even when forgoing the AIO for a cheap air cooler and going with a slower NVMe), and they let you pick all reputable parts. It would be nice if they let you choose a cheaper air cooler and a B660 motherboard, but oh well. It's still a good deal.

CyberPowerPC doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation, but the issues that crop up tend to be ones easily fixed by someone who knows their way around a computer.

Updated this post with a cheaper build since some of the deals changed overnight, and also you can swap that gpu out for a 3080 and pay $1754.65 if you'd rather do that, though that's only a little bit cheaper than what you can do with an economical DIY build. You can also upgrade this to a 12700F for $50, which imo would be worth it in the long run.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 30, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh lord I think I've gone way overkill in updating from my current 8700K/2070:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Extreme ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Torrent RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

The memory is actually on sale and I think I'm going to get 2 sets of 2x16 because why not. I just don't know if waiting for a 40xx GPU will be worth it (especially in availability) and want to future proof as possible.

I dunno if I will get this or not but it's fun to build

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Can anyone recommend a good PCI-e USB 3 expansion card? I'm looking for something with at least four external USB-A ports.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

priznat posted:

I think I'm going to get 2 sets of 2x16 because why not.

Because it's totally pointless unless you have seriously specific needs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Because it's totally pointless unless you have seriously specific needs.

Hello my need is to have a full set of RGB flashy lights on the dimm slots :haw: (yes I could get 4 8GB dimms..)

It's true though even 32 is probably overkill

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
so there is a very very minor point here; most kits of 16 gig ram will be single rank now instead of dual rank, it's complicated and i don't even fully understand it myself but it can have a positive influence on certain CPU and memory bottleneck scenarios, as i understand it. 4x8 will give you the performance though, and is typically if not always cheaper. now, depending on other esoteric bullshit (motherboard typology, particular memory controller particularities, the vague but constant presence of malign ghosts), running 4x sticks rather than 2x can be sub-optimal for overclocking stability of both CPU and ram I think, most extreme OC boards use 2x for that reason.

e: wait no you're building 64 gigs of ram lol, you'll get dual rank but yeah that's silly overkill. 4x8 makes more sense imo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Hello my need is to have a full set of RGB flashy lights on the dimm slots :haw: (yes I could get 4 8GB dimms..)

It's true though even 32 is probably overkill

Some manufacturers sell dummy RGB RAM modules so you can fill out your slots without the memory controller strain of running 4 actual modules

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16820236512

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Speaking of flashing lights.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Bundles/Builder-Bundles/RTX-3080-Ti-FE-Builders-Bundle/p/bundle-3080TI-FE-NA

$1900

A 3080 ti and a ton of other glowing poo poo for what a 3080 ti used to cost on its own a few months ago.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

repiv posted:

Some manufacturers sell dummy RGB RAM modules so you can fill out your slots without the memory controller strain of running 4 actual modules

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16820236512

I dont know what's worse. This product existing, or me refusing to buy it and instead buying more ram then I needed at the time for RGB reasons.

32gigs is the new 16 gigs :colbert:

Anyone looking to get into corsair RGB should start with the new "COMMANDER CORE XT."

6 fans pwm control
6 fans rgb control
1x port for 3 pin RGB (im running 4x 350mm next gen strips off that one port) https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-LS100-Smart-Lighting-Expansion/dp/B08L5NCQ25?th=1

Also stick to ASUS GPU / MOBOs. You can control an Asus GPU natively with icue and it even understands games like "tiny tina wonderlands."

My EVGA gpu cant be controlled by icue :(

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have a PC Building technical issue. I've been building PCs for 2 decades now and I'm kind of stumped on this issue.

I have a build that's less than a year old of a 5900x, 3080 FE, an MSI Mortar Wifi M-ATX mobo, and Corsair SF750 SFX PSU.

After I took it apart and put it together a few weeks ago I ran 3DMark benchmarks for quite a while and never had any issues with it.

On last Friday I installed a different water pump in the system. The old one was a 3 pin pump that connected to the Pump header on the mobo and drew power for that. The mobo header is rated for 3A. The new pump connects to the PSU using a SSD power plug and connects to the 3 and 4 pin of the Pump mobo header for speed control. The swap went according to plan and there were no spills or errant drips or anything. The loop passed a pressure test before filling and the fill/drain ports are well away from the Mobo. I'm confident this isn't a water cooling related issue.

After installing the new pump and trying to run 3DMark again after adjusting fan curves and such, after about a minute into the Time Spy benchmark the PC just shuts off instantly. No BSOD, just off. Like the cord was yanked out. Sometimes it will turn itself back on after a moment, but most times it just stays off until I restart it.

It wasn't having any issues playing more demanding games like Halo Infinite, and could handle the 3DMark GPU benchmark Port Royale without issues. However, Time Spy always caused it to shut off. I have my computer hooked up to a UPS and while my PC stats showed it pulling around 400 watts, the PSU read 550 watts. Still well below the 750 watt PSU.

At this point I'm thinking it's the PSU failing and when it hits a high load it just gives up the ghost. A friend has an old 650 Watt PSU so I figured I'd give that a try just to see what happens, and while it POSTs fine, once it got to the windows login (and presumably spins up the GPU) it shuts off the same way.

Thinking it was definitely the PSU at this point I ordered a new EVGA 850 Watt SFX PSU to replace it. While I was waiting for it, the issue got worse, and now the system shuts off when I try to play Halo Infinite. However, other less demanding games like Counterstrike still work just fine. At this point I'm still thinking it's a failing PSU issue, and it's just getting worse as the PSU is supplying less and less wattage.

The new PSU came in yesterday and after hooking it up, the system wont even POST. I click the power button and I can hear the click of the PSU relay, the fans in the system twitch, and the status LEDs on the mobo flash, but otherwise it doesn't turn on at all. The PSU does turn on if I short out the pins on the 24 pin molex connector though, for whatever that's worth.

I thought I got a DOA PSU so I requested a replacement. In the meantime I hooked back up the original 750 WATT PSU and the system works again as it did before.

The second new PSU came in this morning and after hooking it up it acts just like the first one. Won't even POST. It clicks, fans and lights twitch, but nothing more.

Now I'm thinking that it's something else because what are the chances I get 2 DOA PSUs? I assume the only other thing it could be is the mobo.

I removed the RAM, GPU, CPU, SSD, and everything from the mobo and tried powering it with the new PSU with just the 24pin and 8 pin molex connected and it still has the same results. It wouldn't even post or stay on. This is also without any accessories hooked up to the PSU.

So now I'm thinking it's a faulty motherboard but it somehow still works with my Corsair PSU, but only the Corsair PSU? Maybe there is a minor issue with the mobo and EVGA PSUs have better fault detection in them or something?

Anyone have any experience with something like this? Any other ideas on what could be happening? Short of finding another Mobo to try out, I think I've isolated and tested everything I can.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just realized the Dark Rock Pro 4 HSFs don't come with LGA1700 adapters, *still*.

Come on, so many heat sink/AIOs seem to not have them and instead have to purchase separately or put in your proof of purchases (and then wait for a couple weeks for them to ship you a critical build component). Bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

I have a PC Building technical issue. I've been building PCs for 2 decades now and I'm kind of stumped on this issue.

I have a build that's less than a year old of a 5900x, 3080 FE, an MSI Mortar Wifi M-ATX mobo, and Corsair SF750 SFX PSU.

After I took it apart and put it together a few weeks ago I ran 3DMark benchmarks for quite a while and never had any issues with it.

On last Friday I installed a different water pump in the system. The old one was a 3 pin pump that connected to the Pump header on the mobo and drew power for that. The mobo header is rated for 3A. The new pump connects to the PSU using a SSD power plug and connects to the 3 and 4 pin of the Pump mobo header for speed control. The swap went according to plan and there were no spills or errant drips or anything. The loop passed a pressure test before filling and the fill/drain ports are well away from the Mobo. I'm confident this isn't a water cooling related issue.

After installing the new pump and trying to run 3DMark again after adjusting fan curves and such, after about a minute into the Time Spy benchmark the PC just shuts off instantly. No BSOD, just off. Like the cord was yanked out. Sometimes it will turn itself back on after a moment, but most times it just stays off until I restart it.

It wasn't having any issues playing more demanding games like Halo Infinite, and could handle the 3DMark GPU benchmark Port Royale without issues. However, Time Spy always caused it to shut off. I have my computer hooked up to a UPS and while my PC stats showed it pulling around 400 watts, the PSU read 550 watts. Still well below the 750 watt PSU.

At this point I'm thinking it's the PSU failing and when it hits a high load it just gives up the ghost. A friend has an old 650 Watt PSU so I figured I'd give that a try just to see what happens, and while it POSTs fine, once it got to the windows login (and presumably spins up the GPU) it shuts off the same way.

Thinking it was definitely the PSU at this point I ordered a new EVGA 850 Watt SFX PSU to replace it. While I was waiting for it, the issue got worse, and now the system shuts off when I try to play Halo Infinite. However, other less demanding games like Counterstrike still work just fine. At this point I'm still thinking it's a failing PSU issue, and it's just getting worse as the PSU is supplying less and less wattage.

The new PSU came in yesterday and after hooking it up, the system wont even POST. I click the power button and I can hear the click of the PSU relay, the fans in the system twitch, and the status LEDs on the mobo flash, but otherwise it doesn't turn on at all. The PSU does turn on if I short out the pins on the 24 pin molex connector though, for whatever that's worth.

I thought I got a DOA PSU so I requested a replacement. In the meantime I hooked back up the original 750 WATT PSU and the system works again as it did before.

The second new PSU came in this morning and after hooking it up it acts just like the first one. Won't even POST. It clicks, fans and lights twitch, but nothing more.

Now I'm thinking that it's something else because what are the chances I get 2 DOA PSUs? I assume the only other thing it could be is the mobo.

I removed the RAM, GPU, CPU, SSD, and everything from the mobo and tried powering it with the new PSU with just the 24pin and 8 pin molex connected and it still has the same results. It wouldn't even post or stay on. This is also without any accessories hooked up to the PSU.

So now I'm thinking it's a faulty motherboard but it somehow still works with my Corsair PSU, but only the Corsair PSU? Maybe there is a minor issue with the mobo and EVGA PSUs have better fault detection in them or something?

Anyone have any experience with something like this? Any other ideas on what could be happening? Short of finding another Mobo to try out, I think I've isolated and tested everything I can.

Are any of them modular PSUs?

Are you sharing cables? (Dont if you are)