Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

2 nights? Buddy, my 2nd kid literally didn't let us sleep through the night for almost 4 years

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Another Bill posted:

2 nights? Buddy, my 2nd kid literally didn't let us sleep through the night for almost 4 years

Stop no ugh she has been so good. Swole little gums, and pouring drool like a spigot. Feel terrible but NOTHING I can do.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Have you tried Children's Tylenol? We tried not to overdo it but it was always there when we needed it and got us through some rough nights.

I totally sympathize, teething sucks.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

alternating acetaminophen and ibuprofen works well if you’re worried about too much of anybody one medicine. one is broken down in the kidneys the other the liver. just keep a small white board where you wrote down the times to track it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ikanreed posted:

My two year old was so excited to wear socks with sandals today, he made up a song about it. Is there a repair service for defective children?

socks and sandals are the best because the socks keep your feet from getting cold if there's a breeze but the sandals let em breathe so they don't get hot. your kid is brilliant and correct.

also i thought you weren't supposed to mix ibuprofen and acetemetiphin

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

that (alternating staggered) was pediatricians advise after their birth defect surgeries. my wife also did it after the Caesarian because she has a family history of opiate abuse.

edit : But I’d advise keeping a written record of what is given when, especially as one is usually a 4-6 hour dose and the other is 6-8.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Kitfox88 posted:

socks and sandals are the best because the socks keep your feet from getting cold if there's a breeze but the sandals let em breathe so they don't get hot. your kid is brilliant and correct.

You can mix them, it's fine. You can't mix different NSAIDS with each other, but Tylenol/acetaminophen and an NSAID is fine. You can buy pills that are already mixed together, such as excedrine (Tylenol+aspirin+caffeine) or Advil just started selling a product that has both acetaminophen and ibuprofen.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that (alternating staggered) was pediatricians advise after their birth defect surgeries. my wife also did it after the Caesarian because she has a family history of opiate abuse.

edit : But I’d advise keeping a written record of what is given when, especially as one is usually a 4-6 hour dose and the other is 6-8.

Combining ibuprofen and paracetamol (not being a dick, just forgot how you guys spell it) is a common way to get better pain relief without going to low level opioids here in Australia. Caffeine also helps in uptake but wouldn't recommend for baby!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

You can mix them, it's fine. You can't mix different NSAIDS with each other, but Tylenol/acetaminophen and an NSAID is fine. You can buy pills that are already mixed together, such as excedrine (Tylenol+aspirin+caffeine) or Advil just started selling a product that has both acetaminophen and ibuprofen.

oh, cool :toot:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

Hahaha yeah I haven't slept a full night since 2017. I'm not even sure what that would feel like anymore. There is a weird form of satisfaction that I get from taking our youngest into another room at 3 or 4 in the morning and letting my wife get a solid four hours of sleep, so it's not too bad.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Feel smug, guilty, and immensely grateful that sleep training worked so well for my daughter and she sleeps from 6 to 6 almost every night

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm listening to my kids play Roblox and they being chased by a 3D ban hammer.

What even is reality.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

ikanreed posted:

My two year old was so excited to wear socks with sandals today, he made up a song about it. Is there a repair service for defective children?

I'm sorry to say, your child will be an engineer.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i showed my son on google images a picture of a tuna fish and he screamed "whooooa! it's so big! how do they fit in one can??!?"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

sonatinas posted:

if I won the lottery that’s what I’d get. my spouse said we would adopt as well so kid gets a sibling and the joy of turning those knobs and patch cables

This is, maybe 5-10% the cost of that room you showed, but this is my setup and we're getting to a point where the kids like it:

I have the Axiom25 down low so the 1 year old can use it. 5 year old can pound on the main keyboard, so I hook that up to Studio One VSTs, then hook the Axiom25 up to the 0coast, get some good sounds going and let them go nuts. I am not really comfortable posting vids of my kids on here, but I have one from last week where the older kid is pounding away and then yells "TAKE IT AWAY, [little sister]!" and points at her rockstar style. No idea where she picked that up, but, cute as gently caress.

The OP-1 is loving dangerous because it looks so much like a god damned gameboy, try convincing a 5 year old it's actually a super expensive piece of kit that needs to be used gently...

One goal that I have is that one of these kids asks their 3rd-ish grade science teacher questions about analog oscillators that the teacher cannot answer. We will see.

edit: "5-10% was based on other poster's 30k estimate but it would not shock me if that's more like $500k in eurorack lol"

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 18:01 on May 30, 2022

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
five year old has informed me that when he grows up, "i'm going to shred your documents."

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
gently caress me, my kid is playing with an experiment and is like”I’m going to put this(pipette with vinegar on it) on a chicken. and I told her no you’re not because reasons

and she responds “in Minecraft” lord help me

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sonatinas posted:

gently caress me, my kid is playing with an experiment and is like”I’m going to put this(pipette with vinegar on it) on a chicken. and I told her no you’re not because reasons

and she responds “in Minecraft” lord help me

my kid likes to just start talking in detail about a subject without telling you what he's talking about. we're working on it, so for now it's lots of stories like

I planted pumpkins today! ......... in Minecraft

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Another Bill posted:

Chuckling nervously at the true crime podcast where they decried the mother who put a lock on the outside of her kid's door.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I got concerned when my 2yo started learning how to open doors. But she only did it once and seems to be satisfied that she knows how to do it, and just waits for us to let her out of her room in the mornings still. Dunno how to feel about that one still

The fridge though? Ever since she's learned to open that we have to keep an ear out for the sound of our toddler rustling through the food lol

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I got concerned when my 2yo started learning how to open doors. But she only did it once and seems to be satisfied that

Lol buy some more stairgates

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Our one year old is doing this thing now when he cries actual tears and then gets upset at the tears on his face. It is heartbreaking to watch this.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
kid has gone from being sort of a happy docile 5 month old to an exploison of movement, babbling, baby-planking 6 month old. it's crazy how quickly she's come alive in a lot of ways. We weren't great on doing tummy time but now she takes care of that herself. Her proto-crawl is hilarious since she's currently stuck in reverse. :3:

thank god for sleep training that finally got her into her crib. Great for her and great to have a routine we can fall back on even when she refuses naps. Also starting solids has been a ton of fun, she shakes her head before she dives in for the kill (food on the spoon). The only thing she hasn't really liked so far has been ground beef and that's probably my fault for not adding enough water to smoothe out the texture.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Dreylad posted:

kid has gone from being sort of a happy docile 5 month old to an exploison of movement, babbling, baby-planking 6 month old. it's crazy how quickly she's come alive in a lot of ways. We weren't great on doing tummy time but now she takes care of that herself. Her proto-crawl is hilarious since she's currently stuck in reverse. :3:

thank god for sleep training that finally got her into her crib. Great for her and great to have a routine we can fall back on even when she refuses naps. Also starting solids has been a ton of fun, she shakes her head before she dives in for the kill (food on the spoon). The only thing she hasn't really liked so far has been ground beef and that's probably my fault for not adding enough water to smoothe out the texture.

It's only gonna get worse from here

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Start training for a 10k run now. You will need the endurance.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Videogames for a five year old: so good or no good?

Kiddo used to like playing Minecraft on an old & now defunct work tablet. I saw that you can get it on the Switch and my Switch is otherwise collecting dust. I'm trying to thread the needle between giving him common experiences with his peers but also not letting him grow up to become a SomethingAwful forums poster. I'm also wary of starting that instant gratification dopamine drip so young.

I had an NES around age five or six and access to SNES via friends until I got a Genesis around age 8 or thereabouts. I couldn't say if it affected me one way or the other but I don't think I was ever a huge console gamer. Gaming didn't become a problematic escapist thing until my first PC when I was 12ish, and that was tied up with a whole bunch of other lovely life changes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I've been playing videogames with my kids since they were 2 or younger, but sporadically, like once a month. Simulators or Pokemon, basically, or Scratch Jr. or MS Paint on the laptop.

I don't have a strong reason to limit their time, I don't personally want to spend all my time playing games with them because I'm a bit addicted to it, and also my childhood consumerism feels like a wasted opportunity in hindsight. But also with WFH and remote schooling the last couple years we've put extra emphasis on getting the kids outside as much as we can.

I don't think there's anything wrong with videogames and young kids, within reason. Just don't let them spend hours on the Apple ][+ in the basement like I did.

Edit: I guess before I got a Genesis most of my escapism was cartoons and books, so videogames in particular aren't that important.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

unlimited shrimp posted:

Kiddo used to like playing Minecraft on an old & now defunct work tablet. I saw that you can get it on the Switch and my Switch is otherwise collecting dust. I'm trying to thread the needle between giving him common experiences with his peers but also not letting him grow up to become a SomethingAwful forums poster. I'm also wary of starting that instant gratification dopamine drip so young.

I had an NES around age five or six and access to SNES via friends until I got a Genesis around age 8 or thereabouts. I couldn't say if it affected me one way or the other but I don't think I was ever a huge console gamer. Gaming didn't become a problematic escapist thing until my first PC when I was 12ish, and that was tied up with a whole bunch of other lovely life changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsKaLIWGS4I

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I play with my 5.5 yr old kid but I ask her questions a lot if I’m playing to see what I should do next and ask about how much of whatever I have and what not. it’s a collaborative environment really. when she plays Minecraft she’s asking me questions all the time about stuff so we have a lot of back and forth. to me it’s all about involvement.

she mainly plays all open world games. if it’s nature related that’s a plus. Minecraft is helping her with her reading funny enough because she searches for items in creative and I hear her trying to pronounce to either type or read. it’s real cute.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

unlimited shrimp posted:

I've been letting our older kid play PBS mobile games since she was 3.5 or so. Two years later and she is starting to show an interest in "real games" and "controllers" and I will probably try to get Mario Kart or something going for us to mess around with.

Given what the future sort of looks like from this point in time, my kids developing problematic escapist tendencies is the least of my loving concerns, especially if it's poo poo like games and books that doesn't make you a full blown drug addict.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've been seeing whispers of an under-5 covid vaccine possibly as soon as the end of the month :pray:

Supposedly the Pfizer shot is proving safe and effective so fingers crossed

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I've been seeing whispers of an under-5 covid vaccine possibly as soon as the end of the month :pray:

Supposedly the Pfizer shot is proving safe and effective so fingers crossed

Hopefully I won't regret dipping out of the trial when we drop out to get this, and then can't get into the trial for Omega variant vaccine or whatever in a couple months. Especially if the only way to get vaccinated is through trials because Congress refuses to fund retail availability.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

unlimited shrimp posted:

Perfectly fine, but be a part of the gaming they're doing, and make sure they know there are limits. When mine was 5 or so we would play Skyrim together: they'd "help" me hunt dragons, and now and then I'd turn it over to them and let them run around like a little moron in that and other games, but there with them to explain that ok actually the angry zombie dudes aren't real isn't that crazy haha but maybe let's go to a different area huh kiddo? We did set limits based on our own sense of the kid's emotional maturity and most of them worked out well.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Given what the future sort of looks like from this point in time, my kids developing problematic escapist tendencies is the least of my loving concerns, especially if it's poo poo like games and books that doesn't make you a full blown drug addict.

Yeah, we had to make that decision a few years back. When the lost-year-of-COVID rolled along we had to make sure this kid was connected with other people their age, but their best friend's family was all sorts of immunocompromised so they couldn't hang out, and most of the other very closeby friends families decided not to risk it. Gaming in general had all of the general parental limits loosened up a lot. Multiplayer gaming (with us keeping and eye on who they had in that minecraft server) became the most important touchpoint, especially as they were turning 13 that year and desperately needed some kind of non-family social connection, with the extra awkward modifier of coming out as queer and nonbinary at about the same time.

Since then the kid has 1) discovered that like literally half of the saxophone section they're a part of in marching band (and a LOT of the rest of the band as well) is somewhere in the LGBTQ+ space so there's a massive support and social network for them there, 2) sometimes gets their chores done without being reminded (but is still a surly snotty teenager about it ofc), and 3) still managed As and a couple high Bs in all classes in spite of seemingly having their face glued to that laptop screen whenever possible.

So I'm not too bothered.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Seems like Minecraft comes with its own parenting challenges

https://twitter.com/GrahamKritzer/status/1536707163208523776

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seems like Minecraft comes with its own parenting challenges

https://twitter.com/GrahamKritzer/status/1536707163208523776

yeah that’s sounds about right. mine loads up inventory with spawn eggs and builds pens that would be part of multiple local news exposés on animal cruelty. I keep on telling her why this is bad and you need to treat animals in Minecraft like you would in real world

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

sonatinas posted:

yeah that’s sounds about right. mine loads up inventory with spawn eggs and builds pens that would be part of multiple local news exposés on animal cruelty. I keep on telling her why this is bad and you need to treat animals in Minecraft like you would in real world

what if she's already take that to heart though :tinfoil:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

So my wife just took a job at a school outside Philly. The pay is lower than what she makes now and we need to find a new place to rent 2 hours from where we live now in the next month, but the workplace atmosphere is better than her current place and there's one absolutely enormous benefit: our toddler gets a free ride at the school from age 3 through high school graduation.

This is pretty much 90% why she's taking job, and I'm torn. On one hand, I feel a bit gently caress you, got mine about it; I've been advocating public schools since before my daughter was born and I hate to contribute to their further erosion. On the other hand, the school is actually more diverse than the public school she'd be going to if we stayed put (it's just 50% white, which is shocking for an old, fairly high-end private school in a suburb, but also one of the reasons it interested my wife in the first place), the area is closer to my wife's family (who have already been helping more than my family despite my family living less than a half hour away) and at the end of the day I feel like the public system is collapsing whether my daughter goes to it or not and I want to do right by my kid. My wife would be tied to the job but it means we wouldn't be tied to our rental, so we could move around if necessary without upending all my daughter's friendships and whatnot.

The decision has already been made so I'm not looking for advice or anything. Guess I'm just curious what a bunch of internet strangers would have done in the same position.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Big Mad Drongo posted:

. Guess I'm just curious what a bunch of internet strangers would have done in the same position.

Gotta do what’s best for your kids.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yeah. don't feel obligated to responsibilize yourself for systemic failures or to sacrifice your kid at the altar of Righteous Politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah, man. There will always be injustice in the world, don't make sacrifices on behalf of the things most important to you fighting it. There will be more injustices to fight.