Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey FFX.
-Cheer can stack five times and is impossible to remove except for death iirc
-This game has the most brutal poison status effect in the series

EDIT: 5 stacks raises str by 5 and cuts damage by a third. Nifty.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psycho Knight posted:

This whole scene is profoundly stupid on multiple levels. They throw the Blitzball players into a water duct and just expect them to give up and drown. They throw the summoner and combat capable members into a lovely maze and expect them to get killed by monsters. Then, immediately upon doing this, Mika turns around and goes "Right, maybe we should stick some guards by the exit in case they survive", thereby openly acknowledging how idiotic the idea is.

There are so many better ways to execute someone, like, I don't know, shooting them in the head while they are locked in the cells. Even if you want the whole religious symbolism shtick of the "Via Purifico" or whatever, then just go and seal the drat exits before you throw them in.

I also like how Kinoc quips about not trusting someone who killed his own father, but still tags along with Seymour despite knowing that the guy is far more powerful than he is (as far as we know, Kinoc is not a summoner himself).

You forgot the part where gooba& and auron are being held in a cage with bars so wide apart they could jump out with ease if auron felt like it and gooba& had a brain.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Psycho Knight posted:

Supposedly the Crusaders always lure Sin away from the city whenever it approaches.

Fair enough but I'm curious if there's more to it, that was definitely the reason given for Luca but Bevelle has more going on under the hood. And they got all the Crusaders intentionally murked so if they were relying on them to distract Sin to not get the world's last major population center genocided that was the most galaxy brain decision ever.

Also one would think with Sin being Jecht he'd have seen the hypocrisy and be gunning to wipe Yevon HQ off the map. At least Luca has blizzball, which he'd probably want to keep going

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My understanding is that yeah, the Crusaders (and probably Evrae) steered Sin away from Bevelle. since he's basically a force of nature with snippets of lucidity, Jecht isn't really targetting anything, he just sorta wanders around smashing into stuff.

Operation Mi'hen and the excommunication of the Crusaders makes a lot more sense in an episode or two when Seymour reveals his master plan. In an amazingly stupid way, naturally

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 40 - Sucks rear end To Be Wakka Right Now

Honestly I kinda wanted to do the sequence legit, but I also wanted free poo poo

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
And that's one of the reasons why status effects are so drat brutal in this game. Stone is just an instant party member KO when underwater, which sucks because you only have 3 possible party members to use underwater.

That whole boss fight is kind of baffling to include at all, to be honest. I can only assume the reason for including it is to throw an EXP bump Gooba&/Wakka/Riku's way before another boss. It's different from bosses like Gi Nattak in FFVII, where you can cheese it if you happen to remember the healing weakness. FFX just gives you a big banner that reads "Use healing poo poo on it!", so there is basically no excuse to go through the weirdly elaborate gate mechanism/swimming part of the fight other than curiosity. I think the game even punishes you for doing it that way, since I think you miss out on some treasure chests.

FoolyCharged posted:

You forgot the part where gooba& and auron are being held in a cage with bars so wide apart they could jump out with ease if auron felt like it and gooba& had a brain.

I most certainly did forget that part. I remember the cages hanging over pits, but I'm pretty sure they are positioned right next to the bridge anyway, so people could easily just slip out and hop to safety if they thought to.

Procrastine posted:

According to Final Fantasy X Ultimania Omega, both Jyscal, the leader of the Guado, and Kelk, leader of the Ronso, became maesters of Yevon as part of Grand Maester Yo Mika's "sub-races appeasement policy."

LOL, that is incredible. "Fiiine, I guess we can hire a Ronso and a Guado, if it will shut the savages up."

Broken Box posted:

Fair enough but I'm curious if there's more to it, that was definitely the reason given for Luca but Bevelle has more going on under the hood. And they got all the Crusaders intentionally murked so if they were relying on them to distract Sin to not get the world's last major population center genocided that was the most galaxy brain decision ever.

I could try and dig up something about it from the Ultimania, but I would assume that it won't clarify how luring Sin away is supposed to work after the Crusaders all get killed and cast out. The luring explanation is the only one I remember reading about anywhere, though, so Bevelle and Luca still presumably have a way to do it without the Crusaders specific involvement. As corrupt as the whole world religion is, I don't think it's suggested that they have any secret control over Sin's actions. They have to deal with the giant doom whale like anyone else.

It is possible that Evrae is capable of redirecting Sin, but I sort of doubt it. As big and strong as Evrae is, it's still a gnat compared to Sin.

The only other theory I can think of is that it's possible that Sin avoids directly attacking temples because the Fayth are there. This theory is supported by backstory stuff later on but which is currently spoiler territory. Of course, that still wouldn't explain Luca.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 28, 2022

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I genuinely thought Auron killed Isaaru with the fade to black here so I remember being surprised to see him in X-2.

The place you end the episode is the best grinding spot in the game (apart from extreme late game) so I always spend a healthy amount of time there.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 28, 2022

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Anime villains sure love doing the whole "world sucks, better kill everyone" thing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's a bit weird that Isharu doesn't use Helen, considering that's from the temple were you initially meet him. Would have made more sense for him to not have a Frank, since that's from bumfuck nowhere.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Psycho Knight posted:

That whole boss fight is kind of baffling to include at all, to be honest. I can only assume the reason for including it is to throw an EXP bump Gooba&/Wakka/Riku's way before another boss.

It’s possible it was meant to make sure that the player understands zombie as a concept before other fights later that feature it more prominently.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 41 - gently caress It, Ya Know?

This feels familiar

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I got so much catching up to do. One of my favorite LP duos doing my all time favorite FF game. I'm glad I found it before it was over, at least.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You were sooo close to finding out that autopotion would use hipotions if you ran out of potions. You only had like 3 regular ones left before you randomly decided to max them out.
Also I am kinda sad that you didn't cheat that fight even more by reflecting everyone.
You got quite lucky by combining stuff to poison the guy. That poison alone damaged him for most of his HP. In fact, you barely attacked Seymore at all.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 29, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Seymour Natus is one of the more interesting and underrated bosses in this game. I really like the presence of Desperado as I think it's the only boss (in the main story at least) who reacts to you buffing yourself too much and is like nope. That's smart and forces you to think.

Or you can cheese him with Poison. Buffs and statuses are very good in this game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Because I don't want to always just poo poo on you Dan:
Casting reflect on Seymore was smart.

It's a bit surprising that it doesn't affect Lulu's fury. I thought it did and was expecting you to die there. But of course you knew that, right?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dan's comment in Episode 10 about Wakka thinking the Al Bhed made a hologram of the Moon reminded me of this excellent fan addition to TDI's X LP

Some vintage 2010 memes.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Every time Auron levels up and doesn't get to move on the sphere grid, an angel gets a vasectomy

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

GrandmaParty posted:

Every time Auron levels up and doesn't get to move on the sphere grid, an angel gets a vasectomy

But this is a JRPG. That means Dan should never level Auron ever again

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

FoolyCharged posted:

But this is a JRPG. That means Dan should never level Auron ever again

Then we're on track

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Some time in the post game, Dan finally finds a fortune sphere. But then he also uses the Lucksphere to make a new node, so he stays stuck.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 42 - Dadpool

https://twitter.com/DanaruLP/status/1528817905651040256

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Do you think esuna will cure the yeast infection she got from that water?

Edit: I cast haste so the refractory period would be shorter! Oh no, it didn't wear off!

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 30, 2022

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Not only did they have sex, they had every kind of sex. And Kimahri watched the whole time.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kimarhi, the summoner and her guardian were, uh... wrestling. Yes.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Ah, the Calm Lands: home to the Absolute Worst Final Fantasy Minigame Ever.

I just love Maechen's little bishop hat. :3: (Wait! No! Put the weapons down! He's not an actual Yevonite religious leader!)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

PepperedMoth posted:

I just love Maechen's little bishop hat. :3: (Wait! No! Put the weapons down! He's not an actual Yevonite religious leader!)

But we already passed the thunder plains?

I'm glad the main game isn't balanced around the celestial weapons, because oh God are most of them gated behind some atrocious mini games.

At least one of them is blitzball.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm glad the main game isn't balanced around the celestial weapons, because oh God are most of them gated behind some atrocious mini games.

Thunder Plains is just tedious. It's not the actively worst.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

FoolyCharged posted:

The least bad of them is Blitzball.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

FoolyCharged posted:

Kimarhi, the summoner and her guardian were, uh... wrestling. Yes.

you don't have to be euphemistic. Kimhari knows. Kimhari fucks

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh yeah I meant to mention it before, but now that we know Seymour's very stupid master plan, it explains his support for Operation Mi'hen. He purposely wanted the Crusaders excommunicated so that nothing could stop him from destroying Bevelle when HE became Sin. Mika and Kinoc were no doubt so horny for Al Bhed death that Seymour was able to sway them, and Kelk was no doubt very pensive and ineffectual. Between the Crusaders and the invasion of Home, Seymour has actually done a pretty good job of neutering any force that could bother him once he does his thing

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

PepperedMoth posted:

Having just done it, it isn't nearly as bad as it seems.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Danaru posted:

Oh yeah I meant to mention it before, but now that we know Seymour's very stupid master plan, it explains his support for Operation Mi'hen. He purposely wanted the Crusaders excommunicated so that nothing could stop him from destroying Bevelle when HE became Sin. Mika and Kinoc were no doubt so horny for Al Bhed death that Seymour was able to sway them, and Kelk was no doubt very pensive and ineffectual. Between the Crusaders and the invasion of Home, Seymour has actually done a pretty good job of neutering any force that could bother him once he does his thing

Makes sense, playing to Yevon leadership's paranoia to remove any tools they have in their favor-- a military, loyal summoners, access to technology-- from defending them after his Calm ends. The worldbuilding didn't stick in my memory from this game, but now I'm remembering it's because there's not that much of it!

I do recall how Seymour knows how to become Sin, kinda sucks that his plan is just genocidal nihilism again but I guess that's just final fantasy for ya.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

Seymour has actually done a pretty good job of neutering any force that could bother him once he does his thing

Gooba&ishly except us! hu hu I'm Gooba&

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Broken Box posted:

I do recall how Seymour knows how to become Sin, kinda sucks that his plan is just genocidal nihilism again but I guess that's just final fantasy for ya.

A thought: what kind of literal physical needs do unsent have, and what can destroy them other than sending? Like we've seen now that Mika and Seymour are pyrefly ghosts, do they need to eat, drink, or rest? Be held together by some other force? Or is a pyrefly ghost self-sustaining? Also, can an unsent be deliberately fashioned from the recently dead rather than solely coming together on its own?

hosed up as it may be, there's a certain twisted logic to the idea of creating a world populated by the unsent rather than the living, especially if they have a way to manufacture unsent. If the unsent can just reincorporate themselves after Sin passes by, then his visitations become a big inconvenience instead of the full-on disaster it is to those who still exist in the world. It'd be a nightmare world and an unspeakably monstrous act to actually create it, but the most efficient way would be to embody Sin as Seymour has said he intends on doing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The way I understand it, unsent aren't really people, just pesky pyreflies making a mockery of the bodies of the fallen by copying their appearance and mannerism.
The stronger their spiritual energy was, the more they resemble the original. But in the end they mentally degrade in time and become more monstrous.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

disposablewords posted:

A thought: what kind of literal physical needs do unsent have, and what can destroy them other than sending? Like we've seen now that Mika and Seymour are pyrefly ghosts, do they need to eat, drink, or rest? Be held together by some other force? Or is a pyrefly ghost self-sustaining? Also, can an unsent be deliberately fashioned from the recently dead rather than solely coming together on its own?

hosed up as it may be, there's a certain twisted logic to the idea of creating a world populated by the unsent rather than the living, especially if they have a way to manufacture unsent. If the unsent can just reincorporate themselves after Sin passes by, then his visitations become a big inconvenience instead of the full-on disaster it is to those who still exist in the world. It'd be a nightmare world and an unspeakably monstrous act to actually create it, but the most efficient way would be to embody Sin as Seymour has said he intends on doing.

Well, there is that miiiild snafu where they turn into monsters over time. Although the amount of time seems to vary, see Seymour vs Mika.

pointlessone posted:

The least bad of them is Blitzball.

Blitzball is actually just good. I'm gonna be a blitzball when I grow up!

more seriously, it does have a bit of a flaw where the difficulty curve gets snapped over the players knee really fast. Which is a bit of an issue when the big reward for it takes a minimum of something like 40 games played.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

FoolyCharged posted:

more seriously, it does have a bit of a flaw where the difficulty curve gets snapped over the players knee really fast. Which is a bit of an issue when the big reward for it takes a minimum of something like 40 games played.

Oh god yes. I still have a round of the league to go before I get the final Special Prize, and I win most games 6-0. My goalie is falling behind in levels because the ball never even gets to my defense line, let alone a shot. The top three scorers in the league last season were my three forwards, with #3 having double the 4th place score. This barely required trying.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Danaru posted:

I never really thought of it to this extent; Sin's power is just so overwhelming that nothing can really stand up to it anyway. But I like your idea.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 31, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 19 - Hey Yoshi-P Where's Blitzball

Apparently there was talk of adding Blitzball into FF14, but for some reason it never materialized. At least make a class that throws blitzballs at people

Don't get mad at Grace, Kimahri x Gooba& fanfiction goes all the way back to T40s and their FFX LP.

Man I've been here a long time.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

cant cook creole bream posted:

The way I understand it, unsent aren't really people, just pesky pyreflies making a mockery of the bodies of the fallen by copying their appearance and mannerism.

It is pretty clear in-game that the unsent are still the actual people. It just takes an extreme effort of will to retain your personanity under those circumstances, and most who try it become fiends.

My take on Seymour is that his increasingly monstrous transformations are because he doesn't have the same willpower that unsent like Mika have, and he's already degrading.