Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PittTheElder posted:

The culture is exactly the problem, but transportation and storage laws are insufficient steps for such a colossal issue.

Ban all semi-autos is a much better policy (but of course good luck getting that past this Senate or Supreme Court)

Look at any media from 50 years ago. Smoking everywhere. Newscasters smoking while doing the news. People smoking on planes. Middle class moms with a baby and a cig. Cigarettes were deliberately woven through every aspect of american culture. They are still around, still legal, but they have a much smaller cultural footprint now. And, unlike guns, nicotine is loving addictive.

If you went back to 1970 and tried to introduce all the restrictions Tabaco has now, it would never go through. Even non-smokers would think it was draconian. But because the changes came in little by little and with plenty of education there was some resistance at each new restriction but the majority agreed with restricting tobacco.

The same thing can work for gun culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Chillyrabbit posted:

This made it so anyone who possessed a newly prohibited firearm that moved/changed their address from May 1 2020 until April 2022 was breaking the law, and it isn't a mens rea offense. The LPC also didn't consider it important enough to change the amnesty until it almost expired in April 2022, where it cast shade at gun owners blaming them for not handing in prohibited firearms. When the official government messaging is to wait for a gun buyback program.

And the sum total of this was? Did anyone go to jail or get fined? Having a hard time caring.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

leftist heap posted:

And the sum total of this was? Did anyone go to jail or get fined? Having a hard time caring.

There are a ton of laws that are on the books in various countries that are just never enforced. I’m also curious if this was actually used against anyone.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

leftist heap posted:

That was a bit of a hyperbole, my point is the LPC likes to use gun control as a political wedge to gain votes. Mostly by "doing something" to gather good sound bites like "banning assault weapons" by letting people keep them for 2+ years as they can't figure out a buyback program, and not caring to amend the flawed OiC (which would detract from the we banned assault weapons message) and then blaming gun owners for not turning in guns for $0 in the April 2022 OiC (to extend the amnesty) who are waiting for the promised compensation.

I think what ever the LPC will table on Monday will be heavy on good soundbites (banning more assault weapons by name, banning "high capacity" magazines, stricter background checks, more secure storage, and Red flag laws), and not so much on the less sexy part of effective gun control. Such as preventing a person from getting a gun (by beefing up the investigative side of the CFO, who control the PAL's)

Evis posted:

There are a ton of laws that are on the books in various countries that are just never enforced. I’m also curious if this was actually used against anyone.

It was hyperbole, a gun owner would in that case surrender the firearm for $0, and miss out on the promised government buy back. So it appeared to be a way for the government to "buy back" firearms by waiting 2 years for people to do contravene the OiC, to force them to legally surrender firearms for $0 and pay less money.

To reiterate I believe the LPC will go for soundbites, rather than the unsexy sounding job of preventing people from getting guns with the PAL system, and/or revoking PAL's from assholes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Chillyrabbit posted:

and/or revoking PAL's from assholes.
Unify the PAL with proof of vaccination and make the RPAL require a booster :sickos:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Unify the PAL with proof of vaccination and make the RPAL require a booster :sickos:

Unironically this

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Shumagorath posted:

That's one way to weed out Qanon quackjobs

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Shumagorath posted:

Holy poo poo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Shumagorath posted:

It's so rare to see the most perfect, beautiful idea. I love it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rumors-comedy-rich-vos-racism-homophobia-1.6469701

Maybe don't come to Manitoba and tell a group of Indigenous people to go back to AA and their wigwams.

Of course you have pieces of poo poo out there defending it saying, "COMEDY"

gently caress STAND UP IF YOU'RE RESORTING TO THIS.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

quote:

Schultz said he saw Vos becoming frustrated with them, as Schultz says the women were being loud and disrupting the show.

Prior to his performance, Schultz says, Vos had been clear to the security guard that he wanted to speak directly to hecklers or people who were talking during his set, and didn't want the guard to intervene.

lol you don't call out hecklers by becoming Michael Richards you goddamn idiot

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm willing to give comedians a pass on some things, but there has to actually be a joke attempted for that to apply. If you're just shouting bigoted abuse, then it does not matter if you declare yourself to be a comedian -- it's still just bigoted abuse.

There's a difference between George Carlin using the n-word in a joke, and Michael Richards shouting it over and over for no particular reason, just as an example. As a comedian you can pretty much get away with anything provided it's funny enough and the joke lands. All these edgelord comedians yelling about how people are too easily offended these days are missing the point, and basically advertising that they're lovely comedians who can't get a laugh.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

His website tag is "A regular on the Opie and Anthony show" which tells you everything you need to know.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

quote:

I was at this show. It was pretty appalling. Lots of people clapped when the second or third group walked out because he called them out, and one woman in the group said, "You don't come to Canada and be racist to Indigenous people."

I would've walked out had I paid my bill already. He had a few funny jokes at first, but it devolved very quickly. There were even some comments made that weren't mentioned in the article.

Things along the lines of using smoke signals, living in tipis, and hunting bison. I couldn't believe it. People were not laughing and he wouldn't stop, even after they left. Totally dug himself his own grave.

He also wished a DUI upon them multiple times. I don't know why he thought any of it was funny.

He also insisted that he politely asked them to stop talking at first... I certainly do not recall that. Pretty sure he went right to heckling, or snarkily said something the first time they talked.

ETA: I don't know if they were disruptive to the people around them, but being a few tables back from them I couldn't even hear them.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rumors-comedy-rich-vos-racism-homophobia-1.6469701
Of course you have pieces of poo poo out there defending it saying, "COMEDY"

An actually good stand-up should be able to eviscerate or at least embarrass people heckling or being disruptive at a show without sounding like a drunk uncle in 1974. People defending the sanctity of "but comedy" should be the first people to know this but yeah I think the people who are defending comedy in this circumstance aren't exactly comedy experts.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Rich Vos is a d-list hack from New Jersey. He's been doing standup for 40 years and never got anywhere. I'm sure he was being racist but this does not merit national news attention, especially when the largest media chain in the country publishes garbage like this:

https://twitter.com/BarbaraRKay/status/1529932369091870720

Rich Vos, stupid shithead that he is, isn't the problem.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's big news because the Winnipeg Indigenous community is massive and they reported it to CBC. It's not like CBC was out there reporting this. They had one of the people on this morning.

It DOES warrant attention - at least here in the province that some jackass came to town and perpetuated the "drunken Indian" stereotype.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Disagree. The popular media is engaged in denying the mass graves of indigenous children and this guy is a loving nobody.

The reason Vos is big news is because this story allows Canadians to get a nice warm familiar smug feeling about racist Americans while ignoring our homegrown racists denying our own homegrown atrocities.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Rich Vos is a d-list hack from New Jersey. He's been doing standup for 40 years and never got anywhere. I'm sure he was being racist but this does not merit national news attention, especially when the largest media chain in the country publishes garbage like this:

https://twitter.com/BarbaraRKay/status/1529932369091870720

Rich Vos, stupid shithead that he is, isn't the problem.

Oof, I scrolled down to related tweets, and they are not pretty.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PT6A posted:

I'm willing to give comedians a pass on some things, but there has to actually be a joke attempted for that to apply. If you're just shouting bigoted abuse, then it does not matter if you declare yourself to be a comedian -- it's still just bigoted abuse.

Exactly. Apparently these women were being pretty disruptive (e: I saw like one line in the story about it but some other person says they weren't, really it doesn't matter anyway), but I go to a fair amount of comedy shows, and I have seen plenty of comedians very effectively unload on hecklers/loud people without ever needing to bring race/gender/whatever into it. This dude is just a piece of poo poo, being a stand up comic has nothing to do with it.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
More than one thing can be bad, Another Bill.

Edit: to elaborate a little, that post article is revolting. I didn't read the whole thing but the gist seemed to be denying genocide and saying that politicians/msm are making a big deal of nothing wrt residential schools. It's horrible that it was published and it should be called out.

I don't think you intend it, but you are basically saying that indigenous people should just stay silent about the everyday racial abuse they face because it's not a big deal compared to the bigger issues. How big does the issue have to be before it's reported? Are all the reports of indigenous people being hassled by security and denied service at banks also not newsworthy?

run on sentience fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 30, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I waded through most of this morass of crap to try to get to the point and I still didn't find it. Is it basically:

- there are no mass graves but merely large numbers of unmarked graves near each other and coincidentally close to former residential schools;
- there aren't any confirmed identities (because they'd need to be dug up with forensic tests) and some unspecified fraction of them could be adults and/or white settlers;
- even if they are dead children, most of them probably died of TB and not ritualistic murder so it's not a problem because ???

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

It's big news because the Winnipeg Indigenous community is massive and they reported it to CBC. It's not like CBC was out there reporting this.

Are you sure it's "big news" and that it doesn't only appear on the CBC website?

I'm not saying it doesn't warrant attention but ...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

eXXon posted:

I waded through most of this morass of crap to try to get to the point and I still didn't find it. Is it basically:

- there are no mass graves but merely large numbers of unmarked graves near each other and coincidentally close to former residential schools;
- there aren't any confirmed identities (because they'd need to be dug up with forensic tests) and some unspecified fraction of them could be adults and/or white settlers;
- even if they are dead children, most of them probably died of TB and not ritualistic murder so it's not a problem because ???

As best as I can tell, yes.

As is always appropriate when Barbara Kay comes up, it's worth remembering she once tried to defend her failson on social media when people were making fun of him for not realizing he was using dog shampoo to bathe himself.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don’t understand what you’re saying.

It’s big news here. In Winnipeg. I don’t think Toronto, center of the universe, cares.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I do like that a plurality of people walked out of the show, and the owner pulled the guy aside later and said hey man btw just so you know, that was racist as gently caress

From the article I'd read, it sounded like he somehow didn't know this, but I can't see how that's possible in 2022 when his job is literally to know what the media are saying

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1531385100394446849

Really looking forward to the delicious CHUD tears over this one.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Good. And ban assault-style rifles while we're at it.
Oh great your mags are permanently pinned at 5, orrrrrr I could drive to the US and buy a 6-pack of Magpuls for a hundred bucks.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
I honestly never thought I'd see the day.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

MA-Horus posted:

Good. And ban assault-style rifles while we're at it.
Oh great your mags are permanently pinned at 5, orrrrrr I could drive to the US and buy a 6-pack of Magpuls for a hundred bucks.

You could go to the US and buy a handgun too, but if you get caught with either you're going away for a long time. As you should.

We should quit pussyfooting around with by-name bans and just prohibit all semi-automatics, IMO.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

So are the RCMP just going to be going gunless then, or?

(I know, I know, blue sky thinking).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Might want to temper your cheering when the bill includes a provision for legalized SWATing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You literally posted "this is going to get people killed" without a hint of irony, like do you even hear yourself?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

You literally posted "this is going to get people killed" without a hint of irony, like do you even hear yourself?
The government brought back the same terrible provision discussed in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCyVYLlRAwo

Essentially:

Solenna posted:

I mean at some point you should probably start enforcing the laws you already have instead of just making new ones.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm in favour of this 100%, even if it means the shooting federation of canada is just going to have to figure something out (or get a carve-out for their target pistols, which are scarcely even useful as weapons)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Army will finally have an excuse for not having pistols.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Some good political sound bites out of the text of the bill.

* High capacity magazines banned again
Mere possession of a "high capacity" magazine is already illegal as a prohibited device, and it will be extremely hard to prove that the person with the prohibited magazine did the alteration. I predict no one ever getting convicted of altering a magazine, just go for the slam dunk case of possession. Good sound bite though to ban "high capacity" magazines again

* Red flag laws again
Criminal code of Canada s. 111 Application for prohibition order gave the police power to apply for a prohibition order against anyone if it isn't desirable for public safety. On the one hand ACAB, on the other hand what information can a person present to a judge that a cop can't get more of considering they have a whole CPIC database to trawl through and an opportunity to actually investigate a potential red flag by interviewing the person who is asking for one information about the red flag. Good sound bite though to mention Red flag laws again

* Domestic Violence and stalking license revocation again
C-42 passed by Harper took the wind out of Trudeau's sails as Harper made an indictable convicted DV a mandatory prohibition order, and a summary convicted DV a discretionary prohibition order. With the Firearms licensing regulations already gives the CFO the power to revoke a gun license when they are aware of DV or stalking. But you need a sound bite of cracking down on DV again to get some votes.

* ban on advertising a firearm that depicts, counsels or promotes violence against a person (for businesses)
So that's already the law (kind of), businesses licenses issued to firearm businesses can't advertise firearms with violence as a condition of their license. Advertise firearms with violence and lose the license. There is literally no violent advertising at all in Canada. But good sound bite though

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Parliament moves to criminalize crime, and charge people who break the law against doing illegal things

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have a handgun because it's such a pain in the rear end, so I guess who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Solenna posted:

I mean at some point you should probably start enforcing the laws you already have instead of just making new ones.

The Liberals could have spent that time penning a bill to actually make the RCMP do their loving jobs and it would have saved lives. Instead we get a ban on legal handguns that isn't going to do much of anything.