Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sombrerotron posted:

This strikes me as an issue with basically every class/origin story: nobody ever actually gets to go "hang on I'm not happy with this arrangement and I want out or tear it down", even though there may be plenty of reasons to do so. The Trooper barely gets to complain about being ordered to commit warcrimes and certainly doesn't get to radically change the way the Republic treats its soldiers. The Smuggler can never say "you know what, never mind, I'll take a pass on this one". You'd think a Dark Side Jedi would at least have an opportunity to defect to the Sith Empire, but that never happens either. Even the Sith Warrior that decides the Sith Empire and its traditions are a dead end and something has to be done about it is limited to some sort of extremely low-key civil disobedience approach to instigating reform. The least offensive of the bunch is arguably the Bounty Hunter, but that's more to do with the fact that it's a character essentially without morals, allegiance, or a storyline of any actual substance and anything else to do than to take whatever next hit job is offered.

I mean, I do understand your point to some extent; I will always maintain that Planescape: Torment very much failed to live up to its promise by forcing you to end your existence one way or another, rather than permit any bargain with TTO, which I think is a similar gripe to the one you have with the Agent's story. But Torment is a single-player game with a fixed ending, and as you say the structure of the MMO medium does not allow for the same freedoms. If the player cannot accept the restrictions on agency imposed on the Agent, I don't really see how the restrictions on any other class/origin would be any less objectionable.
I think it's because no other class gets so blatantly betrayed by the entire organisation as the Agent. Everyone else has some bad stuff happen where they're forced into questionable positions because of external and more powerful actors, but the Agent is uniquely positioned, and motivated, to just up and defect even though the Jedi Knight actually does that for a while. Everyone else has a much better reason to keep at the skinner box until there's no more pellets to come out. The Bounty Hunter is possibly the worst class to compare to the Agent because when Darth Tormen offers you a job that you can't refuse, due to your position as "some mook", you can suck it up until you take a job to kill him right back, and at the end of the day you're still just a hired mook so everyone kind of expects that of you. Possibly the worst thing about it is how early on in the story that this contradiction becomes apparent and you still need to play through it just to have it resolve unsatisfactorily anyway, in part because the MMO nature of the story means you know that things that actually caused what vindication you can scrape out of everything at the end are just as much the result of the Knight, Warrior, and Inquisitor storylines as anything you actually did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Conversely, going Saboteur Imp and doing crazy poo poo like having Lana behead Dark Council members while the cameras are turned off is oh so satisfying even if it’s mostly just for flavor

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

grah posted:

Mastery augments? What a time to be alive. Last I recall crit pools were still low enough that Crit augs and often even Crit Relics were the best option once you hit a comfortable Alacrity for channel time and energy regen. Or at least were close enough that going Mastery Crit vs Mastery Power on your relics was a negligible difference. I think I was running about 3800 alac in pve for my heals and coming in around 3400 crit like that in full 330/augs.

ahh my bad meant that for PvP where big heals are more important than an extra GCD a minute. You could use all Crit augments or a PvE set-up as well.

For PvE heals I'm doing 5 Crit Enhancements and 5 Alac Enhancements. 4 Crit augs, and 10 Alac augs. Mastery stim and Crit crystals. That's 3234 Crit and 3850 Alac at 330 with 286 augs.

The Crit augs are on my MH, OH, and relics so I don't have to swap those slots between heals and DPS specs. I use the ear, head, chest, and boot slots for Acc as DPS so I don't have to waste resources on the Acc MH and OH.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Kenobi inspired me to come back to this game. May as well knock out the last two class storylines I have left (Counselor and Inquisitor). I'm on Balmorra on my JC, no clue on the other one. Qyzen has grown on me. He's not the most interesting but he doesn't actively annoy me and often seems to like my choices.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I rather like Qyzen. He's pretty happy to explain how his worldview works and while it's obviously the kind of thing that should be abhorrent to a Jedi he seems like an alright guy within that framework.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Arquinsiel posted:

I rather like Qyzen. He's pretty happy to explain how his worldview works and while it's obviously the kind of thing that should be abhorrent to a Jedi he seems like an alright guy within that framework.

He is an unrepentant murderer because "my culture says it's okay to kill Wookiees" and then cries foul when some start fighting back.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah but it's an MMO. Everyone's a murderer. You kill thousands of random <whatever> just because they're wearing the wrong uniform or no uniform.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Qyzen "all my apes gone" Fess

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah but it's an MMO. Everyone's a murderer. You kill thousands of random <whatever> just because they're wearing the wrong uniform or no uniform.
my character is actually knocking everyone out when i fight them, they're fine. i just turn my lightsaber to stun.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

cams posted:

my character is actually knocking everyone out when i fight them, they're fine. i just turn my lightsaber to stun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've tried to boot this game back up for the first time in a while, but I've hit an unusual bug: it hangs on the loading screen for the game and never resolves, the wheel twirls away in the corner. And there's a periodic whooshing sound, like something's supposed to be flying past the camera.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I had that happen. I vaguely remember it being yet another unclear BitRaider issue.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cams posted:

Jedi master kiryu kazuma

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Arquinsiel posted:

It's a neat preview of some of what you end up dealing with as a Consular. I don't think it commits fully to it, but you can see what it was intending and trying to be.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i hit legendary player today, hoorah. i highly recommend this game if you do not ever plan on taking anything related to the endgame seriously, and if you dip out for extremely long periods of time.

now to decide if i push into the expansions with my shadow/sage or start a second jedi knight story role playing as an emo chiss

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My two cents is that the 4.0 and 5.0 expansions fit the Jedi Knight most, and the Warrior second.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

My two cents is that the 4.0 and 5.0 expansions fit the Jedi Knight most, and the Warrior second.
yeah the last time i played was right when KOTFE came out and i played just the first few chapters, so i have some idea of how the story ends up going later on. the character i'm going to take through the expansions is either gonna be my light Inquisitor that i recently finished, light Warrior, or dark/grey Knight. i've already done a light warrior run, but it was 7-8 years ago so i'm looking forward to it again. i'd also done light Knight but it was the first character i played when the game launched.

oh, and my final review of agent origin story since i finished it:

it was fine. it was slightly more interesting than most of the tech class stories. but, i still had a hard time feeling personally invested in my character's journey. i'd initially wanted to start out as loyal imperial, female chiss murderhobo who would rather shoot than speak, but not being able to kill kaliyo (who broke into my room immediately after i'd JUST murdered people on the spot for doing the exact same) had me shift into a more nihilistic, beaten down imperial agent who just cared about doing the job. meeting vector was the point where my character softened and, while still supporting the empire, became more about protecting all lives cause that's what vector was down with. eventually we would have nasty hive mind sex.

the "mind control" stuff annoyed me initially because mind control as a storytelling tool can feel lazy, but it was fine. thematically it works, as an imperial, to be a victim of something that is mostly associated with jedi in this universe. it was also nice to have something happening that was about ME rather than the overall mission. as for the overall mission and plot... like i said, it was fine. it ended strong, but i think the agent more than a lot of the origins feels like each planet is just pure fetch quest nonsense, then you get brief interludes in between where the actual Imperial Agent story progresses. i think belsavus, where you start getting to the meat of star cabal stuff, is where it picks up a little but then it's just voss and corellia and you're done. that said, their corellia missions through to the ending felt good. it wasn't like smuggler or bounty hunter where i felt like i had to force myself over the finish line.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 why you can mix and match classes cross faction now? I've been away from the game for quite a while and I"m trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Combat styles are decoupled from 'origin story' (the class plots).

Since non-Force classes are just some flavor of gun it makes sense, especially since there are, say, Republic sniper NPCs.

You can't cross-faction Force powers unless you reach Dark or Light 5 with earlier characters.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Wow, I'm finding the Jedi Consular story to be an absolute slog.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 4, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you like diplomacy then it's the one for you! If not, then I guess you'll hate it.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I thought the Jedi Consular story was pretty neat in the way it offered you chances to compromise on what the moral thing to do is in favor of the idea of what might be right from a utilitarian perspective, which is an important perspective to have as someone who is ostensibly working to preserve the Republic itself. It made the idea of the main character falling closer to the dark side more believable and understandable than it often is in these stories.

It just also has Nolan North giving the blandest line read of his entire career if you played male.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A lot of people complain about North's performance but that's the Jedi way

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
North's performance is a problem with a simple solution: Athena Karkanis does a much better job.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cythereal posted:

North's performance is a problem with a simple solution: Athena Karkanis does a much better job.

Stop hiring Nolan N..Oh ok yeah I guess that works too

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Consular is probably my favorite story. I like the mix of jedi mysticism, the look at rhe failings of jedi and how they can echo, the diplomacy, the need to balance jedi philosophy with real politics in the moment. I genuinely enjoy the rift alliance people for the most part.

The children of the emperor were neat too. And work well as a lead into the Emperor as a body jacking space ghost.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I like diplomacy stories but Consular did nothing for me. Then again, I also really enjoyed the Agent story which seems to not be so beloved in this thread so ymmv!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Consular is about recruiting a big army to go fight a war. It's not really diplomacy, you just hang around a lot of diplomats and kill stuff to get them on your side.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I used Jedi Consular for my "jerk" run and it works great with the female VA. An impatient Jedi snob who despises aliens and ordinary folks and is only interested in the important stuff.

It's the flip side of playing a light side Sith character and almost as fun.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

womb with a view posted:

I like diplomacy stories but Consular did nothing for me. Then again, I also really enjoyed the Agent story which seems to not be so beloved in this thread so ymmv!

Eh? Agent is often mentioned as being a great story.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

Eh? Agent is often mentioned as being a great story.

A couple of people have posted that they didn't like it, but yeah, it's generally considered the best story (though Warrior is right up there)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

finished rise of the hutt cartel for the first time, my review:

i can just skip that when i do future playthroughs, right? not miss out on anything material?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

cams posted:

i can just skip that when i do future playthroughs, right? not miss out on anything material?

Do it one more time on the opposite faction (which has an entirely different story) and then forget about it forever.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's a decent way to cover the level gap between....whichever levels that expansion is for, but considering how generous the XP faucet is in this game now, you probably don't even need it for that anymore. No need to do it if you don't feel like it really

e: with the caveat that preechr mentioned, worth seeing the story/missions from the other side, it's unique for each faction

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

cams posted:

That was how I felt the first time too. Now I look back on myself and regret the loss of that innocence.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Oh yeah I know he's killable now. I just meant more that every companion had ones to be killed during the original stories. That you couldn't.

I still have yet to recruit skadge to any alliance.

Ten years later and I'm still mad they didn't think up the idea of a 'generic' companion to fill a dead dude's boots in 2012.

Cross-Section posted:

Conversely, going Saboteur Imp and doing crazy poo poo like having Lana behead Dark Council members while the cameras are turned off is oh so satisfying even if it’s mostly just for flavor

This is such a recent thing though. Agent really runs up against the barriers of what an MMO can reasonably let you do. SWTOR has so much baked into faction choice from a story-gameplay-memory perspective that I have no idea how they'd try to decouple the two to have true defections 10 years later. The world, ultimately, has to remain static so other people can experience it, and so that people coming after you don't have to exist in three or more separate world states because of your chosen ending.

Agent suffers from and magnifies the choice paradox that all games suffer from: the more player-reactivity you add, the shorter the story has to be because the branching starts to get wide and you have limited development time.

Medullah posted:

A couple of people have posted that they didn't like it, but yeah, it's generally considered the best story (though Warrior is right up there)

And yeah, for all of Agent's weaknesses, it is still one of the best plotted stories in the game. Even some of those weaknesses of the genre (the static world) can be played to the Agent's advantage. Of course no one knows about your work. You are a SECRET agent, not a PUBLIC agent. It threads the needle pretty well on telling a story about someone who is subservient to a bunch of evil space wizards and the kind of hostile work environment that breeds and just how much thanks you can expect for being a whistleblower in said environment.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The reissued Trooper figure comes with the cutscene pistol :3:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
So I resubbed to try out the current content, I'm actually impressed how incredibly busted this game is now. It seems to fail moving your character to a new map in the story flashpoints like regularly, I keep end up getting stuck in out of bounds areas or just totally unable to progres because the thing Im supposed to interact with is bugging out. It really does feel like a totally half assed effort to try and siphon up whatever dollars they can at this point.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DreadUnknown posted:

So I resubbed to try out the current content, I'm actually impressed how incredibly busted this game is now. It seems to fail moving your character to a new map in the story flashpoints like regularly, I keep end up getting stuck in out of bounds areas or just totally unable to progres because the thing Im supposed to interact with is bugging out. It really does feel like a totally half assed effort to try and siphon up whatever dollars they can at this point.

Sounds like maybe you need to run a repair on the game? I don't run into any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

When 7.0 was just out and I went through the new content once on Imp and Rep side I did experience the bug several times where cutscenes wouldn't move me to the next area, but only in the new content and I thought they'd actually fixed that. Can't verify that since I haven't done the 7.0 content on any other character yet, however. The fight at the end of the Elom FP is still hit-or-miss I think, but I haven't played that recently either.

Other than that, aside from occasionally getting stuck in the map geometry and running into minor bugs of a more cosmetic nature, I haven't had any real trouble over the past few months of fairly heavy play. The game on the whole is in a pretty okay state in my opinion, but the current expansion upon release definitely suffered from bugginess. Still, I'm more inclined to chalk that up to the difficulties imposed by the pandemic than a lack of motivation among the team or cynical management.