Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've heard Iran is wild. I bet a place like Lagos or Nairobi would be up there too. Or Ulan Bataar, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lovely roads and lovely cars probably help a bit in developing countries. And I'm gonna guess that people actually walking places because they don't have cars helps too, since people who are not in metal boxes are easier to squish.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

have you been to thailand yet? or egypt?

I've been to Bangkok. I didn't see anything even close to China's level. But that could be the difference between a week vacation and living somewhere.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like how if you YouTube traffic accident videos it’s 90% russian dash cams

I have a great video collection from China. I love the ones that are just cartoonish, like it doesn't seem physically possible for what you're seeing to happen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was in Italy last spring and I like how Italians seem to honk their horn for literally every imaginable traffic situation.

In the Nordic Countries we only honk if
a) The car in front of us isn't moving despite a green light
b) we're seconds from crashing into someone.

Italians just honky it seemingly at random all the time.

I'm told that in Greece there's a lot of blind turns and hills where you can't see if someone is coming the other way until you´re about to hit them so people honk their horns every time they take such turns so if there is someone coming the other way they can hear it and take caution.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

FreudianSlippers posted:

I was in Italy last spring and I like how Italians seem to honk their horn for literally every imaginable traffic situation.

In the Nordic Countries we only honk if
a) The car in front of us isn't moving despite a green light
b) we're seconds from crashing into someone.

Italians just honky it seemingly at random all the time.

I'm told that in Greece there's a lot of blind turns and hills where you can't see if someone is coming the other way until you´re about to hit them so people honk their horns every time they take such turns so if there is someone coming the other way they can hear it and take caution.

This happened when I took a cab in Turkey, we where going downhill on a curvy road and instead of slowing down to drive more safely the driver just started honking more.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have had my car for about 8 years and I haven't used the horn once. I should probably try it in case of emergencies.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Number one in deaths is Georgia (the country) apparently. Huh. Two is Russia. Duh.

I like how if you YouTube traffic accident videos it’s 90% russian dash cams

I initially thought this post was saying that the number 2 cause of death in Georgia (the country) is Russia

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I initially thought this post was saying that the number 2 cause of death in Georgia (the country) is Russia

Probably not far off, to be honest.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Thats what I read it as and assumed it was correct, because, well uh, yeah.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/polphilpod/status/1531336098336718850?s=21&t=JwT6PNHHDj5rv_Y0g9ol-w

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Drake no: Bay of Biscay

Drake yes: Iceland Sound

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Datapoint for Denmark: I've never not been fed as a guest, and my parents have never not fed guests. Even unannounced.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Whenever that map gets posted there's always Scandinavians coming out to argue with it. They're lying.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

As a Finn, if a guest is feeling hungry, I'm more than happy to supply them a phone number of a local Grill / Pizzeria.

Now If you want a beer, I have extra to share.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Guavanaut posted:

It all falls on the disc equivalent of Wales.

For those unfamiliar with the series: This isn't a joke. Well, it is, but it's a joke from the books. I read this post and immediately thought "Oh yeah, the place Imp was from."

Soul Music posted:

It was raining in the small, mountainous country of Llamedos. It was always raining in Llamedos. Rain was the country’s main export. It had rain mines.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I always prepare a plate of cheese and bread and meat. Do you guys not clean up for guests either?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
As a swede I can deal with the no-feeding-guests map [though they get fika] but PewDiePie loving hurts man.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Austria dodges another one

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Shouldnt Mozart and Hitler literally switch countries there.

e: no, misremembered probably

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

David Suchet is British, though? :confused:

(Yes, I know he played Poirot, but the other people on the map are real.)

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

He's British and Russian-Jewish on his mother's side, British and Lithuanian-Jewish on his father's side, that map is extremely taking the piss.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

I would have guessed David Attenborough for england

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

SniHjen posted:

I would have guessed David Attenborough for england

He's certainly very famous but everyone knows the queen, even if they don't want to know her.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Shouldnt Mozart and Hitler literally switch countries there.

You can do what you want, assigning people to nation states that didn't exist at the time makes no sense anyway. Mozart was born in the (independent and formerly Bavarian) Prince-Archbishopric of Salzburg, which wasn't annexed by the Austrian Empire until after his death. It was a member state of the Holy Roman Empire which some people regard as a precursor of the German nation state, so you can call him German if you want. But you can also just as well call him Austrian because Salzburg is part of modern day Austria. And Hitler was born in Braunau, which was Austrian at the time and is Austrian now, but he renounced his Austrian citizenship in 1925 and was naturalized in 1932.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Who the heck is that for Sweden? I've never even heard that name before.

Threadkiller Dog posted:

As a swede I can deal with the no-feeding-guests map [though they get fika] but PewDiePie loving hurts man.
Oh no... :cripes:
At least it's better than Germany, or Russia, or Spain. But still.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grevling posted:

Whenever that map gets posted there's always Scandinavians coming out to argue with it. They're lying.
Yep. In Scandinavia, you have to actually bring food to be let inside.

drat, Hitler getting snubbed.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Does the map maker know something about Russia and Ukraine that we don't or did they just not feel like adding another category?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ikasuhito posted:

Does the map maker know something about Russia and Ukraine that we don't or did they just not feel like adding another category?
Look at this guy, not posting from 2042.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Phlegmish posted:

That's fair enough - I think at one point Pratchett straight up says that the world-building isn't supposed to be internally consistent.

I'm rather enjoying the books so far, although the first two were much more violent than I was expecting.

The turtle is very big and she probably emits a lot of water vapor via planetary scale biological processes

I think she eats the occasional asteroid or comet for nutrition and hydration purposes, possibly because she just fancies a snack

wait till you get more information on the elephants and how having a rotating planetary disk on the back of an elephant the size of continental plates results in quite a lot of friction.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

I'm guessing they're combining google searches for Mehmed I and Mehmed II or something for Turkey (if there's any methodology in the first place). I would have thought Erdogan, Ataturk, and Suleiman all would have beaten Mehmed I.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Peggotty posted:

You can do what you want, assigning people to nation states that didn't exist at the time makes no sense anyway. Mozart was born in the (independent and formerly Bavarian) Prince-Archbishopric of Salzburg, which wasn't annexed by the Austrian Empire until after his death. It was a member state of the Holy Roman Empire which some people regard as a precursor of the German nation state, so you can call him German if you want. But you can also just as well call him Austrian because Salzburg is part of modern day Austria. And Hitler was born in Braunau, which was Austrian at the time and is Austrian now, but he renounced his Austrian citizenship in 1925 and was naturalized in 1932.

Marie Curie was 27 when she married Pierre in 1895, got the French nationality and lived the next almost 40 years as a French citizen.
Nikola Tesla was for 35 years of his live a Croatian (or rather Austrian) citizen and for 52 years an US citizen.
Oskar Schindler was sudeten-german, he even got arrested for espionage for the Nazis by the Czech police when he was 30 and only released as part of the Munich agreement. He lived as a German citizen for the next 36 years.
Christopher Columbus lived in Italy until he was 26, then a few years in Portugal and then for a bit more than 20 years in Spain, although a lot of that was spent in international waters.
Hitler was 43 when he got naturalized and lived for 13 years as a German, only 6 of which (until 1938) Austria was not part of Germany.

So the map is not going by birthplace, place of death, ethnicity, duration of citizenship or any other discernible criteria. :iiam:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Broke: Hitler was from Germany.
Woke: Alexander the Great was from North Macedonia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Alexander the Great lol

Also calling Hitler an austrian not a german is big “passing the buck” energy, especially given the austro-german relationship for most of history.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I am still pissed they chose Domantas over Arvydas.

e: also, Mother Theresa was a Skopje born Albanian of Kosovar descent and never had anything to do with the actual country of Albania.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Alexander the Great lol

Also calling Hitler an austrian not a german is big “passing the buck” energy, especially given the austro-german relationship for most of history.
Acknowledging Austrians as a separate people vis-a-vis Hitler has even more "passing the buck" energy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Why are Volodymyr Zelensky and Vladimir Putin former leaders, but Queen Elizabeth is a celebrity?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why are Volodymyr Zelensky and Vladimir Putin former leaders, but Queen Elizabeth is a celebrity?
She's a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Technically, Putin is a former leader, he stopped being president last time his term ran out.

But yeah, I would think Stalin still had him beat.