Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

first stranger things episode was...kinda sick? evil dead by way of satanic panic is my kind of nostalgia bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i watched episode 1 of stranger things. waaaay too many characters. i had to laugh when they spent 40 minutes catching everybody up on what all of the pre-existing characters were doing, then they introduced this brand new eddie character. i didn't remember that max and lucas were a thing. hell, i couldn't even remember lucas's name (this probably makes me racist). the whole jonathan-nancy plotline is soooo boring and has gone absolutely nowhere for the entire show.

i liked the directing in the basketball scene. it wasn't anything groundbreaking but it takes talent to direct a sports scene well. winona ryder is still great. i like any kind of content with secret squirrel scp-type organizations studying paranormal phenomenon, so i liked the opening scene, content warning and all.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

boba, obiwan, hawkeye, moonknight all suck rear end lol

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I honestly think S4 is the best Stranger Things has ever been, and it does benefit from the characters and plotlines introduced in previous seasons. Also helps to have a fresh memory of S3 - even though I think S3 is the weakest it does introduce good characters and character development, and pretty critical to this season.

I kind of enjoy that in S4 there's entirely way too much going on (usually 4 non-intersecting plotlines per episode) and ep 7 (the "mid season finale") was super satisfying, plot-wise. Easily the most violent season, as well.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah I will agree that Stranger Things S4 kind of owns, and I say that as someone who thought S3 was a huge mess. Going all in on making the villain a Freddy Kreuger analogue was inspired.

Its funny that they spent insane movie sized budgets on each episode and it shows, and on the flipside you have Disney making Marvel and Star Wars shows that look like they have TBS original series budgets most of the time.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I want to watch season 4, but not 3. What do I need to know to not get lost without going through the synopsis for every S3 episode?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Joe pesci should have been a inquisitor

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Upsidads posted:

Joe pesci should have been a inquisitor

This GIF, but Vader in the phone booth instead of De Niro after finding out Obi-Wan lured Inquisitor Pesci to an empty room and then shot him with a blaster at point blank range.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Monglo posted:

I want to watch season 4, but not 3. What do I need to know to not get lost without going through the synopsis for every S3 episode?

There's a decent 4 minute recap of season 3 that plays before season 4 episode 1, at least there was when I watched on Friday

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Monglo posted:

Just watch the Recap & Chill video that covers the first 3 seasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4_T-2YAx-Q

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
ST Season 4 is good! It's hilarious that this old Kate Bush song is no 1 on iTunes because of it. It's a good song!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I watched Sonic 2 on Paramount+ and it was a perfectly cute kids movie but ten year old me would have lost his loving mind

Also glad that they realized 90's Jim Carrey was the best part of the first one and let him lean even harder into it this time

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Wolfsheim posted:

I watched Sonic 2 on Paramount+ and it was a perfectly cute kids movie but ten year old me would have lost his loving mind

Also glad that they realized 90's Jim Carrey was the best part of the first one and let him lean even harder into it this time

I had no idea my 2 year old (who turns 3 next month) was very aware who Knuckles was but when he appeared on screen he did indeed lose his loving mind. Like... I wish I had it on video. It was hilariously intense. "Is it knuckles? It ISSSS KNUCKLESSSSSS!"

Turns out he has a Knuckles you from Wendy's and then his sister had been hyping it up (she loves Sonic 1)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

I saw it at a kindergarten birthday party, the parents rented out a theater for it. Like twenty 6-year-olds all sitting in the same row up front. They went bonkers for it, it was so fun. Very solid movie.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Barry continues to impress me. In the span of an episode they managed to make me care about a character whose entire deal is that he makes delicious beignets and listens to people's problems while a massive line forms outside his shop.

Wolfsheim posted:

Allegedly he's retiring from acting after this one, so that's a shame.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Watched Dragged Across Concrete and I absolutely love the slow methodical storytelling. The attention to detail in some scenes is great. I can't wait to see what the director has up next.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol!!!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BisterdDave posted:

Watched Dragged Across Concrete and I absolutely love the slow methodical storytelling. The attention to detail in some scenes is great. I can't wait to see what the director has up next.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BiodegradableBaggyFlyingfish-mobile.mp4

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
Is the Tully preview on Netflix playing nightmare horror sounds for anyone else?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven’t seen dragged across concrete but his other two movies own, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it also owned. Really couldn’t care less if S Craig Zahler might be a republican or whatever people are always whining about.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Norm MacDonald's final special is on Netflix now

The last 30 minutes is six of his friends (Chappelle, Letterman, Conan, Sandler, Molly Shannon, and David Spade) talking about him

Gonna need to have my tissue close by

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I haven’t seen dragged across concrete but his other two movies own, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it also owned. Really couldn’t care less if S Craig Zahler might be a republican or whatever people are always whining about.

it's pretty good yeah. more or less of a piece with his other two, nothing surprising

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Dragged Across Concrete is great because it's like seeing the world through the eyes of the most scared american boomers you can find on facebook and twitter. Do you like dialogue lamenting cancel culture and political correctness? Dusty old men that are actually really cool action heroes? Poignant writing like "Boy, I never thought I was a racist before living in this area." Well do I have the movie for you.

I will say that he's great at doing shocking violence but I wish people would just admit that's the part they like. The writing is dog poo poo, maybe one day he'll own up to it and film someone else's script.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Starks posted:

Dragged Across Concrete is great because it's like seeing the world through the eyes of the most scared american boomers you can find on facebook and twitter. Do you like dialogue lamenting cancel culture and political correctness? Dusty old men that are actually really cool action heroes? Poignant writing like "Boy, I never thought I was a racist before living in this area." Well do I have the movie for you.

do you... do you think the audience is supposed to like those guys?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Chapo House loves DAC.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

precision posted:

do you... do you think the audience is supposed to like those guys?

The writer wants you to sympathize with them yeah. Mel’s character is only robbing bad guys, and he’s only doing it because he believes it’s his only option to keep his daughter from being raped by the black guys in his neighbourhood. I’m not exaggerating here btw that’s explicitly stated in the movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I was about to say oh yeah we had so many urban crime panic movies in the 80’s before looking it up and holy poo poo this movie was from 2018?!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Mel Gibson movies

I vaguely remember seeing one where he was a horribly disfigured hermit and some kid goes to him for tutoring, and they become friends and then the kid finds old newspaper clippings where the old guy was accused of being a child molester and when the kid confronts him about it the old guy goes How Dare You Ask Me That After I’ve Treated You So Well

😬

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I should go back and watch the death wishes

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Starks posted:

The writer wants you to sympathize with them yeah. Mel’s character is only robbing bad guys, and he’s only doing it because he believes it’s his only option to keep his daughter from being raped by the black guys in his neighbourhood. I’m not exaggerating here btw that’s explicitly stated in the movie.

Yeah, it looks like Dragged Across Concrete is finally on streaming so I might finally catch it, but my understanding of it was the controversy was that he went kind of mask off and lovely/racist/right-wing in Dragged Across Concrete. Where it was mostly buried/just unfortunate in Bone Tomahawk and just kind of chilling in the boring first 15 minutes of Brawl in Cell Block 99.

I would love confirmation on the theory/story that Death Wish 3 was written as a parody and the director/higher ups didn't realize it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

:frogsiren: Darkplace is on Prime :frogsiren:

It's an 80s horror series set in a hospital, presented with commentary by the highly respected author who wrote it and the hotshot producer who brought it all together. Maybe Matt Berry's best, but I can't find a place to watch Toast of London.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Speaking of Mel Gibson movies

I vaguely remember seeing one where he was a horribly disfigured hermit and some kid goes to him for tutoring, and they become friends and then the kid finds old newspaper clippings where the old guy was accused of being a child molester and when the kid confronts him about it the old guy goes How Dare You Ask Me That After I’ve Treated You So Well

😬

I haven’t seen it in a long time, but is that what happens in Man Without A Face? drat.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Autofocus is on The Roku Channel (which has been quietly getting good content.

If you've never seen it, definitely check it out. It's a Paul Schrader directed movie starring Greg Kinnear and Willem Dafoe. It's the true life story of Bob Crane (Kinnear) of Hogan's Heroes fame and his 'friend' John Carpenter (not that John Carpenter). I don't want to say more so as not to spoil anything.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 31, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

FishBowlRobot posted:

I haven’t seen it in a long time, but is that what happens in Man Without A Face? drat.

That’s it!

Like, why would you make that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Starks posted:

yeah but one of the very first things he does in the movie is fake you out by making you think he's gonna let the girlfriend go, then arresting her anyway

i really think that scene was supposed to show you that, no matter how many bad people he takes down, he is a completely shitbird

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I need to finally watch DAC tomorrow so I can actually weigh in on it.

My take on both Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in CB99 is that they are both pretty flawed but still great, I think they have pacing issues (especially Bone Tomahawk) and no, the writing is not amazing and veers into outright bad sometimes. But they are just a fun watch if you are in the mood for some bleak violent poo poo. Everything about his movies feels like the 90's ramped up to 11. They definitely both have some sort of racially insensitive undertones, but in a way that no one would have batted an eye at until a decade ago. I'm not saying that's a good thing and I see why it would put some people off, but it comes off as mildly dumb more than outright inflammatory. Kind of like a Clint Eastwood movie. And mildly dumb is sort of his MO anyways.

Not that I hate watch them or anything. I do actually think he is legitimately a pretty good director even if he's a bit sloppy and let's face it, probably a little racist. His movies are generally just fun and gross and sort of offensive, but not enough that I care that much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Not that I hate watch them or anything. I do actually think he is legitimately a pretty good director even if he's a bit sloppy and let's face it, probably a little racist. His movies are generally just fun and gross and sort of offensive, but not enough that I care that much.

oh he's definitely got lovely opinions. i've just always found it very wrong when people talk about a writer and "what the writer intends for you to feel" as somehow sacrosanct, when the reality is that most people, especially most lovely people, are quite unaware of how the things they're saying come across. it definitely doesn't matter if he thinks we should like Gibson's character, because the character on its face is completely unlikable just factually (see my post above)

watching Auto Focus now and how did i never know that Richard Dawson was on hogan's heroes and was british???

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean he also made a movie where he took the idea of "killer puppets that were built by a French puppeteer to kill Nazis occupying france" where you're basically rooting for the puppets and made them literal Nazi puppets that hunt down minorities instead. He's basically taking the golem of Prague and making it a stormtrooper.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

precision posted:

watching Auto Focus now and how did i never know that Richard Dawson was on hogan's heroes and was british???

Hogan's Heroes is a legit funny sitcom and I definitely recommend tracking it down. Sadly it's not streaming anywhere though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I wish they had separated the norm special from the q+a. wish it coulda ended with the mic drop. woulda been nice to sit with my thoughts for a while.