Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That jazz set looks so much worse than the original submission. It doesn’t look bad but by comparison…

I doubt I’d have bought it anyways, but I did think it was a stunning build regardless. I’d be annoyed if I was planning on buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The parts composition looks similar, but the Ideas rendering has much more dynamic body posing than the box set does. I wonder how much of the body is adjustable for each musician, because giving them more distinctive visual silhouettes through posing might make a huge difference.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Habibi posted:

It's the proportions, man. The original had this stylization to the characters that somehow imbued them with the jazz lounge spirit. The official set is neat, and the instruments look better, but the character models have been chunkified such that they lose that stylistic verve they had in the submitted version. It's probably more structurally stable, but it lends the finished product a more cartoonish than cool air.

The legs, particularly on the horny man

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
When I saw the figures as they appear in the set, it reminded me of how I remember the vignette figures that appear in Legoland California.

Didn’t get that same impression from the figures in the submission.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
gotta say not jazzed about it

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Habibi posted:

It's the proportions, man. The original had this stylization to the characters that somehow imbued them with the jazz lounge spirit. The official set is neat, and the instruments look better, but the character models have been chunkified such that they lose that stylistic verve they had in the submitted version. It's probably more structurally stable, but it lends the finished product a more cartoonish than cool air.

Very well said and spot on.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Jazz club made me think of this build by one of the pairs from the latest season of Australian LEGO Masters

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ccux6I2Lv13/

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chairchucker posted:

The Jazz club made me think of this build by one of the pairs from the latest season of Australian LEGO Masters

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ccux6I2Lv13/

Yeah that team did some great character stuff at that scale (or close to it).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A while back I said I was thinking about getting rid of all my spare MOC parts cause I was getting sick of the clutter in favor of just building in Stud.io (and ordering parts on BL if I want to build it) and I still want to do that, but man it is not going to be as easy of a transition as I thought. It seems like a straight forward program, but it gets overwhelming super quick. I don't feel like I can accomplish in an hour what I could in 5 minutes irl. And I don't like how much room it gives me to cheat stuff. It's so tempting to use some connection you know would never work irl.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The cheating factor is pretty big deal to me. I spent at least 10 hours iterating on a really cool tri-railgun in Stud.io and when I pieced it together, with randomly colored parts, over half of the critical connections that I had designed were clearly stress inducing. It took me 1/20th of the time with real bricks to show that it wasn't viable. I've gotten past the issues but now I want to redesign everything around the newly available angles.
On the other hand, everything that I've built in Stud.io that hasn't tried to push weird angles has built with real bricks perfectly.

That being said, you should absolutely ignore that complaint because it's definitely my fault for designing it poorly. Totally unrelated, I'm also in the market for large quantities of bricks :angel:

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I want to try and get one of the Optimus prime kits tomorrow, how quick do these things usually sell out online? Do I need to set an alarm to wake up and snag one or is it more like a day or two?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

spaced ninja posted:

I want to try and get one of the Optimus prime kits tomorrow, how quick do these things usually sell out online? Do I need to set an alarm to wake up and snag one or is it more like a day or two?

More like an hour or so. At midnight tonight.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Waltzing Along posted:

More like an hour or so. At midnight tonight.

Be prepared for the Lego webstore set launch experience. Lots of crashing, lots of anger, don't be surprised that even if you manage to place an order that it might get delayed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's at the point where imo if you want some new, desirable adult targeted set like OP at launch, You should either f5 the second it drops or go to a physical lego store the next day (this still seems to be pretty reliable. Even if they wont hold one they will sell you one over the phone and you can pick it up. This is how I was able to casually get a BTTF the next evening)

I'm at the point where Lego has burned me out on this fomo nonsense though. If I miss something, oh well. It'll be back in stock at some point. Gives me plenty of time to think about if I actually want it that bad. Something about the recent pressure I've felt to buy these (often expensive) sets immediately has kind of killed my enthusiasm a bit. Which is probably good. Kind of felt like it was just normal feel compelled to run out and spend $150+(or sometimes wayyy more). Think it's time to slow down and start actually skipping some stuff...Sorry I am rambling and making this about me lol.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why bother buying lego day 1? It's not like anything adult oriented has a tail as short as the Hidden Side Haunted Castle :smith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mameluke posted:

Why bother buying lego day 1? It's not like anything adult oriented has a tail as short as the Hidden Side Haunted Castle :smith:

Because it could be out of stock for months and even when it restocks it instantly sells out again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's no reason to, but not buying day 1 often means you could be waiting like 6 months or more now. Missing day one used to mean you had to check back next week now it's impossible to tell when something will be available again.

I'm still just trying to figure out if it's some legit supply chain issue or if Lego is doing some calculated fomo power move, and if it's the latter I really don't like it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

There's no reason to, but not buying day 1 often means you could be waiting like 6 months or more now. Missing day one used to mean you had to check back next week now it's impossible to tell when something will be available again.

It's pretty variable, probably based on projected demand or part availability. I got my Delorean a month after launch.

There's nothing wrong with staying up late mashing that F5 key but lego knows what stuff people want, everyone will be able to get it eventually so there's no reason to stress out about any of it.

(the exceptions seem to be sets introducing a new theme, lego is pretty good at misreading demand on those)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Because I want it NOW

Also still not as annoying as trying to buy sneakers or how buying an iPhone used to be

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Let's try this queuing jobby then! I have at least had the foresight to add a little Batman set to qualify for the freebie. Edit: success, I think!

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 1, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Dogen posted:

Also still not as annoying as trying to buy sneakers or how buying an iPhone used to be

I love this. You want a shoe that doesn't look like crap? Yeah sorry, that's a hype item, and people camp out to buy them all to sell them at a markup. Nothing to be done!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
...so the only shoes that don't look like crap are the limited release trainers idiots go mad for? What? That's a whole world I've very happily avoided my entire life and my shoes certainly aren't "what are those" worthy

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Futanari Damacy posted:

I love this. You want a shoe that doesn't look like crap? Yeah sorry, that's a hype item, and people camp out to buy them all to sell them at a markup. Nothing to be done!

I don’t get it either. My one experience with it is that my wife very much wanted some special captain marvel adidas and it was a TRIAL.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Sneakers suck because they know which ones are going to be the good ones and they sell them through lottery.
You can get plenty of decent shoes at retail, and often even The Next Ones at retail, but gently caress if the brand ever finds out.

I spend more on shoes than Lego or MtG combined, AMA

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I'm working through starry night right now and even with good eyes all these blues are giving me trouble.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Endless reloading "queue" on my phone. Loaded right in on my computer and purchased. Roll out!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Managed to grab two but I didn’t realize my partner was trying as well so now we have four. Gonna wait for the confirmation emails though before one of us cancels.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Crass materialism is the right of all sentient beings.

(Order successfully placed, waiting on confirmation email.)

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Managed to grab two but I didn’t realize my partner was trying as well so now we have four. Gonna wait for the confirmation emails though before one of us cancels.

Hahaha that’s sweet

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Was about to hit the 'place order' button when the site spontaneously reloaded me back into the queue. Back in five minutes later and got my robot truck, but seems like the GWP sold out in those five minutes. :(

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Annoying how I had the GWP in cart and on my paypal receipt only to have the final order confirmation not include the GWP.

Not the first time Lego has done this to me but it's kind of annoying when they imply you were quick enough to secure one but you werent. :(

(I already have the GWP so I'm not super mad, but also it was technically a reason why I was trying to order asap in the first place, rather than waiting for the next GWP or double VIP points)

Last time I complained and they gave me 1300 VIP points so I might have to do that again.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Voltroptimus Prime

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Voltroptimus Prime

Voluptuous Prime

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Forgot about it until a few mins ago. Added to queue. No GWP. Meh. I can wait.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Mini Optimus & face mod
https://twitter.com/legodoumoko/status/1531922726838865920

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ah boo, I thought I saw I qualified for a GWP when I was checking out last night but looking at my order confirmation I didn't actually get it. Ah well.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Folks in a thread about spending a lot of money on plastic bricks for children not able to understand sneaker culture has made my morning complete :)

Nike.com allows you to customize a whole bunch of different models of shoes, and they cost the same as in the store. Plus free shipping and returns. I've used it a few times with great results, and have gotten a lot of comments from sneakerheads in the Wild. But yeah, that whole scene is loving crazy go nuts.

Sitting on the fence about the Technic Ferrari. I was surprised it was still available this morning, and by the time I get around to justifying it, it will be sold out I'm sure :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Shoes get bought up by sneaker heads using bots, so anybody trying to physically buy them online is going to be SOL. I remember trying to get the Adidas Miles Morales shows for my partner for Christmas, and the site just blinked and they were sold out. Literally the whole stock was gone in less than ten seconds.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The_Doctor posted:

Shoes get bought up by sneaker heads using bots, so anybody trying to physically buy them online is going to be SOL. I remember trying to get the Adidas Miles Morales shows for my partner for Christmas, and the site just blinked and they were sold out. Literally the whole stock was gone in less than ten seconds.

Oh I get that. It's the same with a lot of other consumer goods as well (PS5, etc). Even though I'm not into that scene, I understand the basis behind the hype and the FOMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Ah boo, I thought I saw I qualified for a GWP when I was checking out last night but looking at my order confirmation I didn't actually get it. Ah well.

Same, I definitely saw it as part of the order when checking out but now no mention of it.