Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

fits my needs posted:

what happened to jack ma anyway? like wasnt he last seen playing golf on some island he was napoleoned on or something

lol, no. He just hid himself away from the public eye while his companies were getting spanked by China's anti-monopoly regulator. This led to a lot of breathless speculation by the western press that he had been black-bagged by the government, but sadly this wasn't the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Jack Ma, China's greatest entrepreneur apparently had quite a few ideas

https://www.businessinsider.com/jack-ma-financial-regulations-ant-group-alibaba-2020-10

In other parts of the world that would have been considered a great success

He had an idea(criticism) and someone above him went nuh uh. I dont see why this couldnt happen at smaller scales.

this time he remembered to not leave the links he googled really quickly in google amp format, which i guess counts as character growth

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

he just hosed off to be rich and sometimes go on the news to say the superstitious celestials and their primitive communist ways are doing genocide or whatever the media needs him to say

Red and Black posted:

lol, no. He just hid himself away from the public eye while his companies were getting spanked by China's anti-monopoly regulator. This led to a lot of breathless speculation by the western press that he had been black-bagged by the government, but sadly this wasn't the case.

oh ok i figured lol, wiki says hes just sailing around in his superyacht shopping at mallorca not that long ago.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have a question regard American cultural perception of the Korean War. I can ask it on 3 of the threads I follow but I am trying to phrase the question that's more relevant to this thread. My question, what is you guys' theory on why the Korean war was so much less talked about than the other wars in the American culture?

My take is, from my understand of that part of the history, the cold war didn't properly start until the Korean war blew up. Before that Stalin was still trying to hold down on the communist movement in the British "sphere of inference" that he and Churchill drew up. For example, Stalin didn't fully support the Greek communist movement until the cold war was inevitable. And the cold war in term, forced a lot countries on the sideline took a side, particularly mainland China's CPC government. In other words the Korean war push CPC much closer to Soviet than other country who were only loosely associate with Soviet (i.e. Tito's Yugoslavia).

And because the US elites thought the Korean war was a wrong war and fought at the wrong time, that's why they didn't want the media to talk about it. And to make my theory work, I have to assume the US elites had much more control to Hollywood at the time. Frankly I didn't know that part of the history. However if I look at the popular show and movie that set in the Korean war, only thing I can think of is the M.A.S.H show. I have never watched that show but I understand it was a super popular comedy. It's so crazy to set a comedy around a recent war. Can you imagine a new Netflix military themed show set in the a recent Afghanistan war, that's about fun hijinx of the loveable tier one operators? So to people who know that part of the history more than me or watch old shows, do you think US repackaged the Korean war in a very pretty studio light and (basically successfully) glossed it over?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Forceholy posted:

A bit extreme, but not that uncommon. The Chinese have a bigger need with the Japanese versus the Nazis, so a lot of this goes under the radar.

Watching chinese movies about the second sino japanese war is quite the trip. Stahlhelm wearing good guys throwing potato mashers.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

absolutely in love with 'in other countries this would be a great success' dropped about a man who's entire thing was amoral profiteering wrapped in a thin veneer of 'actually I'm a rebel and anyone saying I'm exploiting people loves communism' with zero introspection.

You also have to love the implication that it wasn't regulatory agencies working as they're supposed to, but instead Xi "punishing success"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KomradeX posted:

You also have to love the implication that it wasn't regulatory agencies working as they're supposed to, but instead Xi "punishing success"

yea that too, even discounting the dipshit 'a GOOD country would LOVE this' element that dude literally just views a regulator looking at a dude's shady business as Xi personally pointing a skeletal finger at poor Jack Ma and going "BRING ME HIS HEEEEEEEAD" for the sin of succeeding in China without permission.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I think the Korean War gets lost in the shuffle in America because its stuck between World War II and Vietnam and didn't really have a conclusion. Like I'm sure most Americans were confused when the Democrats came out and said that Trump can't be allowed to end the Korean War.

So you have this conflict with nebulous goals that fizzled out stuck between massive success and massive failure so it gets lost in the national myth America loves about itself, outta also why you don't hear about any of Americas other colonial forays. Almost no one in the US really knows about the occupation of the Philippines for example, no ove ever really asks why was Mcarthur even there in the first place

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The US also managed to successfully extricate itself from the korean war in a way it didn't in vietnam.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea we left absolute ruin behind but we were able to mostly pull out without major american losses so the national mythos is more or less 'okay well we WOULD HAVE won but China cheated by having more, better armed, people who knew the area better so it was a draw and Seoul is capitalist so we won actually if you think about it' and get mostly memory holed away. That's why they were able to use 'TRUMP WANTS TO END THE KOREAN WAR????' as a cudgel, most people A) thought it ended already, and B) thought it was him 'undoing' a 'win'.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

The US also managed to successfully extricate itself from the korean war in a way it didn't in vietnam.

Did it? We're still there, and its just become accepted that we need to be there for some reason, besides giving the Army a group of school girls to rape so they don't get jealous that the Marines have Japan

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KomradeX posted:

Did it? We're still there, and its just become accepted that we need to be there for some reason, besides giving the Army a group of school girls to rape so they don't get jealous that the Marines have Japan

I mean, in every may that matters to the average American, yea. We don't ever think or talk about it, sometimes you may get a little filtration of a 'hey a soldier crushed another Korean kid with a Jeep and faced no consequences again' stories but it's always framed as a 'one bad egg' thing and quickly dismisses any protests/outrage as just ungrateful Koreans.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, in every may that matters to the average American, yea. We don't ever think or talk about it, sometimes you may get a little filtration of a 'hey a soldier crushed another Korean kid with a Jeep and faced no consequences again' stories but it's always framed as a 'one bad egg' thing and quickly dismisses any protests/outrage as just ungrateful Koreans.

That is true, too the average American we aren't there , so yeah that's a good point

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what stood out to me when reading about the Korean War through David Hackworth's "About Face" is that his time in Korea, if you didn't know it was Korea, could just as well have been about Vietnam, in that he depicted a US military that didn't know what it was doing, had no plan on how to 'win' the war, had pissed away its institutional knowledge, had generals that were uninterested in being competent commanders, that sort of thing

all the rot that we associated with Vietnam was already happening at the time, as far as I could see

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I imagine the red scare + anticommunism + little anti war sentiment of the early 50s meant nobody really cared about Korea at the time. At least not like Vietnam

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

what stood out to me when reading about the Korean War through David Hackworth's "About Face" is that his time in Korea, if you didn't know it was Korea, could just as well have been about Vietnam, in that he depicted a US military that didn't know what it was doing, had no plan on how to 'win' the war, had pissed away its institutional knowledge, had generals that were uninterested in being competent commanders, that sort of thing

all the rot that we associated with Vietnam was already happening at the time, as far as I could see

I'm almost pretty sure you see that a bunch in World War II as well. MacArthur was a perennial gently caress up. You get the disaster at Kasserine Pass early in the war which causes some shake ups, but the number of unforced errors the US has during the war gets over looked by that out was on the side that won. Or let alone World War I where the US shows up in 1917/ early 1918 and starts fighting like it's 1914 again avd gets countless people slaughtered instead of learning from the military experience of its allies. Its almost like a military culture of only waging war against technological inferior, small countries, or declined powers like Spain, has left the US incapable of Peer on Peer warfare without someone else to do some heavy lifting. Which makes America's bluster about its military prowess darkly hilarious, like a guy that brags about winning every fight he's in, only four you to find out he only fights his wife which he has 6 inches and 100 pounds on

Which is funny now cause I don't think anyone in NATO can make up for the US's short comings

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
far be if for me to defend MacArthur; but every army had some version of that, the cult of the Calvary in the USSR, Monty, the gently caress ups in Crete, the Italians in Greece, the Germans at Stalingrad.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the us managed to get a p decent officer corps by the end of ww2 because they had a policy of rotating out any field commander that didn't perform well enough (with certain notable exceptions, such as the aforementioned dugout doug)

by korea that was already going out the window, with predictable results

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

the us managed to get a p decent officer corps by the end of ww2 because they had a policy of rotating out any field commander that didn't perform well enough (with certain notable exceptions, such as the aforementioned dugout doug)

by korea that was already going out the window, with predictable results

Yeah which makes World War Two the exception to how the Army behaved and it was just returning to form afterwards

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

KomradeX posted:

I think the Korean War gets lost in the shuffle in America because its stuck between World War II and Vietnam and didn't really have a conclusion. Like I'm sure most Americans were confused when the Democrats came out and said that Trump can't be allowed to end the Korean War.

So you have this conflict with nebulous goals that fizzled out stuck between massive success and massive failure so it gets lost in the national myth America loves about itself, outta also why you don't hear about any of Americas other colonial forays. Almost no one in the US really knows about the occupation of the Philippines for example, no ove ever really asks why was Mcarthur even there in the first place

So you are saying Korean war has a lot of degree of grey to it from top to bottom and the national myth makers didn't know how to use it to tell a story, unlike WW2 and Nam. i can see a lot if truth to it.

I am not sure if the US elites are still interested using US wars to tell a story. For one thing barely any major director want to take a stab at the 2 Iraqi wars and the Afghan war.

About the occupation of Philippines, I will just group it with Marines wars in the Latin American banana republics, as meddling American early imperial experiments. US came up with "innovative" ways to control these peripheral countries with World Banks and IMF and CIA etc, without actually using hard power.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

KomradeX posted:

The US spent a tons of resource to fight a civilproxy war in the Korean peninsula, gave a tons of aid to the SK government iver the decades. However in return they got to station a lot of soldiers and radars in SK; able to command the SK army with a US general; have successive dictators and democratic governments who are very cooperating to the US.

So overall its still a profitable investment. Unlike Vietnam which was complete lost of many years of investment.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
You could've phrased this a little better. Please avoid racist tropes. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours

Jesus Christ

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol saying that the savage Han simply cannot innovate because their duplicitous society will betray them, as they did noble hero Jack Ma who simply wanted to speak truth to power is 'phrase this a little better'. So I assume that means the D&D party line is that the core idea that China can't innovate because they're so naturally tricky and corrupt IS accepted and fine, you just have to say it nicer?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hey, stop asian hate, by the way, D&D totally cares about that

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

sexpig by night posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/jack-ma-financial-regulations-ant-group-alibaba-2020-10

In other parts of the world that would have been considered a great success

He had an idea(criticism) and someone above him went nuh uh. I dont see why this couldnt happen at smaller scales.

i legit didn’t realize this was a syq because all of this is unambiguously good and i cannot fathom the liberal mindset that thinks it is instead a flaw if the chinese system of governance lol

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

3 posted:

i legit didn’t realize this was a syq because all of this is unambiguously good and i cannot fathom the liberal mindset that thinks it is instead a flaw if the chinese system of governance lol

Yeah I read that and thought they were being facetious about it, that it was all good

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
on top of that, his innovation isn’t a cure for cancer or something, it’s just another financial innovation in which they rename a banned thing to something slightly different and hope to ride it until the law catches up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

He should visit the White House

Then Biden will be like

"listen Jack... Ma"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ma jacked you off???

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Throatwarbler posted:

on top of that, his innovation isn’t a cure for cancer or something, it’s just another financial innovation in which they rename a banned thing to something slightly different and hope to ride it until the law catches up

it's so loving funny to use him as an example, yea. He's not even some genuine inventor who also happened to be a greedy and corrupt freak, his 'innovation' was literally just 'I'm going to do illegal financial poo poo' and then when the government said 'this financial poo poo you do, it's illegal' he went 'I AM BEING OPPRESSED FOR MY BRAVE INNOVATIONS'. So of course a D&D China thread regular would eat that poo poo up with a spoon.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

So you are saying Korean war has a lot of degree of grey to it from top to bottom and the national myth makers didn't know how to use it to tell a story, unlike WW2 and Nam. i can see a lot if truth to it.

I am not sure if the US elites are still interested using US wars to tell a story. For one thing barely any major director want to take a stab at the 2 Iraqi wars and the Afghan war.

About the occupation of Philippines, I will just group it with Marines wars in the Latin American banana republics, as meddling American early imperial experiments. US came up with "innovative" ways to control these peripheral countries with World Banks and IMF and CIA etc, without actually using hard power.

yeah i think this is basically in the right direction

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1531641650967023617?s=20&t=0bAbWGkVYfh7dzmSpkiDIA

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

https://twitter.com/Yackadaisical/status/1531642069222952960

lmfao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

kind of a silly question: what’s the deal with China and numbers? it’s always three bits of this, two points of that, and five spices. is this exceptional and if so why?

e: fun video I saw the other day. I could get used to this

https://youtube.com/watch?v=E8bSxmYDw1w

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mawarannahr posted:

kind of a silly question: what’s the deal with China and numbers? it’s always three bits of this, two points of that, and five spices. is this exceptional and if so why?

nah governments in general love numeric goals and figures. Breaking nebulous ideas like 'stop terrorism' into three more concrete 'faces' helps make goals clear and sells the programs better.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Four Pests, Three Represents, Eight Honors and Shames. It does sound weird in english and it's very much presented as "a China thing".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also yea it sounds a little better in Chinese, usually in western countries we just call it a 'three point plan to address (whatever)' or something

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Throatwarbler posted:

Yep, it was a financial scam innovation. Probably also very innovative in term of greased the wheels the right way to make the Ant Group almost greenlit for IPO.

Actually that Taiwanese local vaccine maker did something pretty similar. If there is enough corruption in the system, you can get away with your financial scam (with a very mediocre product.)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

also yea it sounds a little better in Chinese, usually in western countries we just call it a 'three point plan to address (whatever)' or something

Yeah we have those too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah we have those too

I guess you’re right. why does it stand out to me? is it a media framing thing or am I twisted?