Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Atopian posted:

So again, not a brewer, but for general microbiology I would have to be very confident in the sterility of my environment before I added a big random protein source to any ongoing reaction, because lots of things that aren't your target organism might have been kept in check by a lack of nutrients, then suddenly unleashed by what you added. And that's assuming that whatever you're using can't grab that unknown protein and use it for unexpected pathways to produce Fabulous Prizes.

It was in the mash (which made it stick), which is pre-boil, so it's not likely to add any organism after an hour at 100℃. Malt is covered in all kinds of bacteria and wild yeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
"This is broken, I can't fix it. We need a new one."

"Try anyway."

Okay gently caress I'll pretend to do that while just thinking in my head or seeing if I can get away with reading a book on my phone.

Get a free 2 hours at least. Did my best.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

The Butcher posted:

"This is broken, I can't fix it. We need a new one."

"Try anyway."

Okay gently caress I'll pretend to do that while just thinking in my head or seeing if I can get away with reading a book on my phone.

Get a free 2 hours at least. Did my best.

I had a coworker that used to do this when his printer ran out of ink or paper. Dude got so many printers.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

I had a coworker that used to do this when his printer ran out of ink or paper. Dude got so many printers.

My cousin's boss would apparently go apeshit when his printer ran out of ink and would literally throw it out a second story window. She had some insane stories from working in that law firm, yet her parents were really disappointed with her for not sticking it out with the crazy lawyer who thought you could click hyperlinks on a printed piece of paper.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Escape From Noise posted:

My cousin's boss would apparently go apeshit when his printer ran out of ink and would literally throw it out a second story window. She had some insane stories from working in that law firm, yet her parents were really disappointed with her for not sticking it out with the crazy lawyer who thought you could click hyperlinks on a printed piece of paper.

Small business owners are a special kind of insane, and lawyers and doctors with their own independent practices 100% count as small business owners. '

The two most psycho bosses I ever had were small business owners. It's just a toxic combination of success making them completely confident in the infallibility of their own decisions, along with absolute control and authority over everything they touch.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Small business owners are a special kind of insane, and lawyers and doctors with their own independent practices 100% count as small business owners. '

The two most psycho bosses I ever had were small business owners. It's just a toxic combination of success making them completely confident in the infallibility of their own decisions, along with absolute control and authority over everything they touch.

But those businesses were more like a family, right?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

insta posted:

I don't know what his situation was, but I ended up disabling anti-virus for awhile while IT sorted out the whitelists because they specifically enabled it on our local build directories. Believe you me, an antivirus does *not* like a hojillion DLLs and EXEs popping into and out of existence in a nested directory structure.

He put in tickets asking for all sorts of stuff, and the admins responded saying "we can't just turn everything off, here are some thoughts on solutions we can offer, or we can schedule a meeting to figure this out". He never responded and instead just disabled all his poo poo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

homerstranglingbart.gif

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Friends, today I did karaoke with my team and turned a 4 hour meeting into a 50 minute one by humiliating the other party into calling it early.

I also found out we sold more this month than I predicted so I'll deal with that trouble tomorrow.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Barudak posted:

Friends, today I did karaoke with my team and turned a 4 hour meeting into a 50 minute one by humiliating the other party into calling it early.

I also found out we sold more this month than I predicted so I'll deal with that trouble tomorrow.

What was your song?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Workplace is changing our insurance plans yet again (they change it nearly every year). Naturally they're loving everyone over in the process - my monthly costs are going to go up something like $500 if this goes through, and I don't have even a third of that in budget wiggle room. We already bled several of our most senior people who were effectively running departments singlehandedly, on account of their health insurance skyrocketing, and that's before this went through. Company keeps chasing the lowest possible cost to them while not caring that it's going to cost them people and not replacing the people they lose.

God one of these applications needs to work out already.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SkyeAuroline posted:

I hope you get something and also hope you've earmarked all the office equipment you'll be swiping on the way out.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Outrail posted:

I hope you get something and also hope you've earmarked all the office equipment you'll be swiping on the way out.

There's not even equipment worth swiping. I'm keeping my keyboard since I paid for it (was comped for it at least), the rest is 10+ years out of date. I'll be happy to never see any of it again.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Oh right. Well chuck a cracked can of sardines in a vent somewhere on the way out.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Workplace is changing our insurance plans yet again (they change it nearly every year). Naturally they're loving everyone over in the process - my monthly costs are going to go up something like $500 if this goes through, and I don't have even a third of that in budget wiggle room. We already bled several of our most senior people who were effectively running departments singlehandedly, on account of their health insurance skyrocketing, and that's before this went through. Company keeps chasing the lowest possible cost to them while not caring that it's going to cost them people and not replacing the people they lose.

Yup my place is doing the same and loving us.

Right now I pay a $10 copay and mental health is not subject to the deductible.

New plan would make everything subject to a $1750 deductible and then 20% after, which would be nearly $30 a visit. No copays at all.

Cannot keep the old plan.

Already sent out 5 resumes this morning.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Pineapple in a drawer, vent, or office cabinet is an excellent parting gift. I hear milk and hair in a jar in a warm place is a good one too.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Pineapple in a drawer, vent, or office cabinet is an excellent parting gift. I hear milk and hair in a jar in a warm place is a good one too.

Why the hair

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

What was your song?

Wichita Lineman because I bring maximum America

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A classic.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

They'll find the milk, and try to drink it, because hey, free milk. But oh no! There's a hair in it, and the hair gets stuck in their throat!

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Told my boss that they were micromanaging too much and they responded by asking me to track hours weekly.

I am just at a loss for words.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

TheSpartacus posted:

Told my boss that they were micromanaging too much and they responded by asking me to track hours weekly.

At my place they talk about how we're empowered to make decisions but there's huge gated release reviews stopping anything from getting to production without a dozen greybeards signing off on it.

What they really mean is I'm empowered to gently caress up other teams workflow to steal priority so my tasks finish earlier.

Dumb game though.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Milk and a handful of dirt in a sealed bottle.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zopotantor posted:

Milk and a handful of dirt in a sealed bottle.

Settle down satan

I like it

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Yes. But the kind that really loving needs a visit from CPS. gently caress I used to hate touching projects with small business owners. Some of my favorite bits:

1. No, just because you employ someone doesn't give you blanket consent to record their conversations. No, I don't care that you're worried they have less than 100% loyalty. Honestly based on the first 10 minutes of this conversation I'd be shocked if they had 1% loyalty to you. And I am 100% sure they are poo poo talking you. Yes, you deserve it.
2. Cameras in bathrooms. If they sell food they are 100% convinced you are taking food items and eating them in the bathroom to avoid being caught stealing them. The laws about cameras in bathrooms are much more fuzzy than they should be in some states but looking in the stalls is pretty much a no-no. But hey, the idea they might lose a dollar on a candy bar is a totally solid reason to violate privacy. loving creeps.
3. Analytics to spot BIPoC people. This can kinda be done if you accept kinda be done has a super high failure rate. But I don't give a gently caress what your reasons are, I won't put design a system with it. No, I won't tell you who can do it,. Nor will I discuss the morals and ethics of it because it would interfere with me hanging the gently caress up.
4. Expecting me to work for free because they are a small business. It's the exposure non-sense but swap out lots of people seeing it and put in a moral and ethical duty to support small businesses. The answer is still go gently caress yourself.

I took a pay cut to switch to teaching design work for a company's customers and it was worth every penny.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TheSpartacus posted:

Malicious compliance.

Track everything. And track the time you track everything. While looking for a new job.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

...And track the time you track everything.

This is the key.
Attaching a definite, documented cost in time or hours is enough to stop a lot of people asking for things that they know are bullshit, because they know they can't justify it.
Does nothing against true believers, though.

Still, I've avoided a lot of make (middle management feel validated) work by recording the (potential) cost of it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Critical posted:

Yup my place is doing the same and loving us.

Right now I pay a $10 copay and mental health is not subject to the deductible.

New plan would make everything subject to a $1750 deductible and then 20% after, which would be nearly $30 a visit. No copays at all.

Cannot keep the old plan.

Already sent out 5 resumes this morning.

This is, sadly, what most company health plans look like now. You can also opt into the HSA, meaning you get to pay for your own care out of pocket, but with a different card filled with pre-tax dollars. I had that same policy forced on me in a union job and then a non union job. The only difference was the deductible.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've been trying to get a 27" 1440p monitor as opposed to a 24" 1080p monitor for code, photoshop, image editting, and all the regular kinds of office use. It's been 2 months, my ticket has been cancelled 4 times. The first times it was cancelled was because I needed an additional approval other than my manager, Got that, and it was closed again after a few days because they decided there was too long a lead time and I should just get a 24" monitor. Spoke to that person's manager and them and got the approval. Today, after 7 weeks it was cancelled again by a new person. My boss and I are going to keep going after it. Either they get me the display or we escalate or they take it out of the catalogue.

This isn't a super fancy monitor either. The 24" 1080p version is $350 at retail, the 1440p 27" version is $450 at retail. We've spent at least 10 man hours on this so far, maybe way more than that as I have no idea what our IT and contracted IT are doing.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Lazyfire posted:

This is, sadly, what most company health plans look like now. You can also opt into the HSA, meaning you get to pay for your own care out of pocket, but with a different card filled with pre-tax dollars. I had that same policy forced on me in a union job and then a non union job. The only difference was the deductible.

Yeah, our new plans (that started this) are very transparently pushing the HDHP/HSA plan. Terms of that plan got slightly better (and still nowhere near even bare minimum acceptable), while all the terms of our standard plan worsened (doubled deductible, "pay full cost of medications up to $3,000 and then 40% after per year", doubled some copays, have to pay for some services that used to be included). I can only imagine the HDHP/HSA plan costs the company less and that's why they're pushing it so hard.

This is the angriest I've been about anything in a long time.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I found out I didn’t have vision coverage 2 days before I hosed my right hand up on inadequate tools. Not a huge loving fan of my current health coverage.

Fake edit: The injury had nothing to do with sight and everything to do with bad tools. Wrench that we shouldn’t have been using slipped and I went into another tool that had no problem cutting my fleshy parts, probably because it was on deck to cut steel.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jesus. I'm never going back to the US. I recently went to two doctors in one day (caustic burn and feeling sick) and both visits and the meds cost me a grand total of 5000 yen. I'm really not trying to gloat or anything but I just cannot imagine giving that up.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Got a new ceo and he's killing remote work. Wants butts in seats at least one day a week in the office. We've already lost about 5 or 6 intermediate managers this year to 100% remote positions doing the exact same work. (to where my coworker and I (who have similar compensation as the empty positions but do technical work) were voluntold to help pick up the slack. )

This is after we fought tooth and nail to get even 1 day a week telework and finally got it right before the pandemic.. which went 100% telework real fast and we have been doing everything virtually for two years

He sent an email last week and reading it😊 made my blood boil. All about "we care about worker safety, it's our highest priority." Obviously not.

Gotta get four hours of real work done sitting in an office for eight hours now and back to four more hours of busywork.

Not to mention the endless parade of people who came by my desk during the before times, that is still going to happen because they're bringing my team in all on the same day.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 1, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Verdugo posted:

Gotta get four hours of real work on sitting in an office for eight hours now and back to fourore hours of busywork.

By 'busywork' you of course mean 'updating and distributing my CV', right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I found out I didn’t have vision coverage 2 days before I hosed my right hand up on inadequate tools. Not a huge loving fan of my current health coverage.

Masturbating at work isn't covered by health insurance, you know :colbert:.

(Seriously though, hope your hand's okay)

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Atopian posted:

By 'busywork' you of course mean 'updating and distributing my CV', right?

Return to the office isn't until July so you bet I'm doing that during downtime now! Spouse is immunocompromised and I'm no bastion of perfect health so remote work suits us big time. I'm glad I didn't move like some of my coworkers did (I guess they thought we would stay remote forever)

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 1, 2022

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Masturbating at work isn't covered by health insurance, you know :colbert:.

(Seriously though, hope your hand's okay)

Thanks, it took 6 stitches but the part that blew my mind is that 3 separate people at the hospital asked if I could still feel the tip of my pinky (i can) and the dude who stitched me up asked me to flex my pinky (it flexed) while he was looking inside the side of my hand.

E: Content Warning: gore, the side of my hand on Wednesday morning:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 1, 2022

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The tendons that move the fingers start in the hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

My freak out wasn’t that they did their jobs, it was “holy poo poo, I actually hosed myself up bad”