Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Clearly an issue that railroads have had to deal with since the days steam...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

An anorak of foamers.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
A suppository of Trainspotters. Also that movie was flagrant false advertising

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A century old railroad buried under beach sand was exposed after a storm:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/116-year-old-ghost-tracks-unearthed-following-coastal-storm-on-jersey-shore/1188072

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

hailthefish posted:

An anorak of foamers.
Leaving lurker mode to point out that this didn't get enough love.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A day-release of foamers

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Infrastructure Week came early this year

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
In Australia foamers or anoraks are gunzels

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

The COVID19 action restrictions were lifted for the first time in three years, and on April 29, 2022, the first day of a major holiday weekend (known as "Golden Week" in Japan), many tourists took the bullet train, making it crowded.The Shinkansen also ran a large number of trains to meet the demand.This video shows the Tohoku, Joetsu, and Hokuriku Shinkansen running every 4 minutes. Although the Shinkansen has only four platforms, which is poor equipment compared to Europe and other countries, the Shinkansen runs almost precisely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ge81gKqtvE

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

japan's trains make me hard

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The 500 series was the most beautiful shinkansen and if you disagree you're wrong and have bad taste and you were adopted and nobody likes you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuAqNehSn9A

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

GotLag posted:

The 500 series was the most beautiful shinkansen and if you disagree you're wrong and have bad taste and you were adopted and nobody likes you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuAqNehSn9A

nooooooo

Original > N700 > whatever else

N700: I love the extruded cube train

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lol at calling the shinkaisen poor compared to europe

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, really, it is? Keeping an intensive service running using just four platforms is a marvel of staffing, signalling, and scheduling; but it doesn't leave much in the way of redundancy, as noted by the uploader.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I'm not an expert on scheduling, but from reading reports from people who are, Japan has a different philosophy to running trains compared to the west.

The west has a sort of fatalism when it comes to delays, so schedules always include running time supplements on the order of 10–15% and people will say "nah, you can't run that many services without at least 10 platforms."

In Japan, on the other hand, railways go out of their way to eliminate sources of delay. Signalling is maintained to a very high standard and often built with duplicate or triplicate redundancy, rolling stock life cycles are only 20–35 years (in the west it's common to see 50–60 year old units kept in service by cannibalising parts) and staff rostering is kept simple, so that a single staff member getting sick in the middle of the day doesn't mess up a several services they were supposed to switch between. This allows scheduling with low running time supplements, on the order of 5%.

You could summarise that the western philosophy is to keep the money maker running, but not spend too much on maintainance, while the Japanese philosophy is to keep the money maker really well oiled and run it right up to the limit.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

GotLag posted:

Sorry but I'm an E4 series kind of guy. Absolute beast of a train.

e: I should post this. It's mesmerizing seeing how active the line is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOjmvL3e7Lc

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 22, 2022

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

You could summarise that the western philosophy is to keep the money maker running, but not spend too much on maintainance, while the Japanese philosophy is to keep the money maker really well oiled and run it right up to the limit.

I don't think it's a particular Pokemon Red vs. Pokemon Blue philosophy as such - just that, in the given example, it's possible to operate an intensive service using 'just' four platforms.

Still, thinking about the rapid rolling stock replacement, I'm curious as to whether it's a hypothetical 'best by' date being passed - like there's still a decade or two left in the set - or if the set is genuinely clapped-out after 'just' two decades on the track (compared with high-speed trainsets elsewhere).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The Real Amethyst posted:

Sorry but I'm an E4 series kind of guy. Absolute beast of a train.

A big, ugly, graceless box :colbert:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
It should be noted that Japanese demand for very tight timetables has led to accidents in the past, as drivers have been severely punished for any delays which leads to unsafe speeding to make up time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amagasaki_derailment

Wikipedia posted:

Immediately after the crash occurred, some of the mass media pointed to the congested schedule of the Fukuchiyama Line as an indirect factor. In fact, cumulative changes over the previous three years had reduced the leeway in the train's schedule from 71 to 28 seconds over the fifteen minutes between Takarazuka and Amagasaki stations.

Drivers for JR West face financial penalties for lateness as well as being forced into harsh and humiliating retraining programs known as nikkin kyōiku (日勤教育, "dayshift education"), which include weeding and grass-cutting duties during the day.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

GotLag posted:

A big, ugly, graceless box :colbert:

:livintrope:
:argh:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

It should be noted that Japanese demand for very tight timetables has led to accidents in the past, as drivers have been severely punished for any delays which leads to unsafe speeding to make up time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amagasaki_derailment

i cant believe a capitalist nation would overwork and treats it laborers like trash (please do not own me by posting horrific soviet union rail accidents)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Stairmaster posted:

i cant believe a capitalist nation would overwork and treats it laborers like trash (please do not own me by posting horrific soviet union rail accidents)

I still can't believe that we privatised the company doing track repairs in the UK and thought that would end well

Spoilers: it did not end well

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CLAM DOWN posted:

japan's trains make me hard

The Shinkansen is just so drat good. Used to take them from Tokyo to Kyoto to visit Nintendo in the late '80's.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you don't think the Hello Kitty 500 Series is the coolest shinkansen you're wrong

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it will never not be funny to me that shinkansen is now fifty year old technology and the best that the us has managed is like fifty miles of high speed passenger service nationwide

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it will never not be funny to me that shinkansen is now fifty year old technology and the best that the us has managed is like fifty miles of high speed passenger service nationwide

Remember what they took from you

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chicago content: viaduct.mp4 - seven minute video of an alderman (alderwoman) candidate with a structural engineer reviewing the bad shape of a railroad viaduct next to the White Sox stadium. You can find it on the map at 430 W 35th St, Chicago IL

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that implies they tried

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

California's effort shows how grift and basic stupidity dooms HSR efforts in the USA.

The RIGHT thing to do was to take the existing route (San Diego to Oakland, Coast Starlight) and eliminate at-grade crossings, fix rail bed, and electrify it. Even a 120mph speed would make LA to SF competitive to the hell that is air travel.

Instead we get Victorville. Woop.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
While I want that too, a large public project should benefit the most needful population first, instead of rich coastal communities.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Amtrak's new Acela that's coming out next year:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/first-look-new-acela/

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I mean at least the train will be a prettier place in which to still go 30mph through northern Connecticut.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It's been coming out "next year" since like before the pandemic.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

VideoGameVet posted:

California's effort shows how grift and basic stupidity dooms HSR efforts in the USA.

The RIGHT thing to do was to take the existing route (San Diego to Oakland, Coast Starlight) and eliminate at-grade crossings, fix rail bed, and electrify it. Even a 120mph speed would make LA to SF competitive to the hell that is air travel.

Instead we get Victorville. Woop.

ehhhh idk about that. building an elevated ROW on that route would probably be even more expensive in spite of having less land to secure, and while the jokes about linking merced and bakersfield to each other practically write themselves, the value in linking both to the bay area and LA/OC is undeniable

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Log082 posted:

It's been coming out "next year" since like before the pandemic.

Yeah, Amtrak acknowledges that it was delayed from 2021 to 2023 due to the pandemic.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

ehhhh idk about that. building an elevated ROW on that route would probably be even more expensive in spite of having less land to secure, and while the jokes about linking merced and bakersfield to each other practically write themselves, the value in linking both to the bay area and LA/OC is undeniable

They have done the elevated or lowered train thing at several locations in San Diego. Lowering isn't as pricy.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

... the value in linking both to the bay area and LA/OC is undeniable

Will that happen? I pine for not having to fly from San Diego to San Francisco. An 8 hour train ride would be preferable.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Will that happen? I pine for not having to fly from San Diego to San Francisco. An 8 hour train ride would be preferable.

well, that's the plan. hopefully the actual work is far enough along for the grift to have shifted from the "delay this forever while collecting checks" to "run up the costs and slow down the construction"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JohnCompany posted:

I mean at least the train will be a prettier place in which to still go 30mph through northern Connecticut.

It’s southern CT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

JohnCompany posted:

I travel the New Haven to New York Penn route fairly regularly and I don’t really see any difference in business class between Acela and Northeast Regional. Acela is a few minutes faster and usually more expensive.

(Usually I just travel coach since it’s half the cost and not very crowded.)