Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Speaking of long rear end preorders, have the 404MK2 made it to people yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

If you're a gambling person, you can probably pick up the Jammy-E really, really cheap now. It looks like they are ramping up work on the software again so if you're patient it could be pretty functional in the next year or so.

Nice, although I'm so confident in the yourock guitar that I'm inclined to just get one of those sometime. But heck, this Boss is waiting for me. I'm supposed to be moving in June, I think, and I'll then have a little room to play.

And nonetheless, I still insist on doing stuff like thisVVVVVV, which seems to have arrived on a fed holiday?

And looking at the parts list and photos, the newer model has far fewer parts to solder. And that case is sexeee

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 30, 2022

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

MMD3 posted:

Does anybody have the Hologram Electronics Microcosm pedal? I've been looking at reverb pedals (mostly the Strymon BigSky) to add some color to my drumbrute and minibrute but now I'm thinking something like the Microcosm might be way more what I'm looking for, less deep in reverb but broader in having some fun delay and looping capabilities to do some soundscapey/ambient looped poo poo or play with glitching drum beats.

Curious to hear what people think. I'm generally just needing a first good effects pedal and it seems like reverb is #1 priority.

I'm in kinda the same boat. Microcosm and BigSky were both pretty high on my list, but after looking at a few youtubes of the Eventide H9 Max I think that might be my choice. It just does so much stuff above and beyond what the others do.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Boody posted:

So anyone else pre-order the Soma RoAT? Been a long 6 months but hoping mine will arrive tomorrow.

I was seriously thinking about it, but decided to wait until I hear more of it. You'll have to tell us how it goes. :)

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm in kinda the same boat. Microcosm and BigSky were both pretty high on my list, but after looking at a few youtubes of the Eventide H9 Max I think that might be my choice. It just does so much stuff above and beyond what the others do.

The H9 is phenomenal but you really need to have a phone or tablet handy if you want to tweak anything, or set up stereo patches or whatever. Using the controls on the pedal itself is quite tedious. I do love mine though.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

MMD3 posted:

Does anybody have the Hologram Electronics Microcosm pedal? I've been looking at reverb pedals (mostly the Strymon BigSky) to add some color to my drumbrute and minibrute but now I'm thinking something like the Microcosm might be way more what I'm looking for, less deep in reverb but broader in having some fun delay and looping capabilities to do some soundscapey/ambient looped poo poo or play with glitching drum beats.

Curious to hear what people think. I'm generally just needing a first good effects pedal and it seems like reverb is #1 priority.

Do not get the Microcosm as a first effects pedal. It's more for texture than for delay, reverb or looping. Its microloops don't work in a super orderly manner and it won't quite sync up how you expect it to. Beautiful, but VERY unreliable, obtuse and finicky.

I was fortunate enough to be able to mess around with one for an hour or two. And later on, I did pick one up -- two reverb effects units later. It has some significant quirks that make it not ideal for a delay/reverb go-to. Even now, I find myself using it less than my Specular Tempus and Mimeophon. It isn't great for jamming or improv -- you have to work with its idiosyncracies and play to its strengths in a way that can get kinda frustrating. It takes time to dial things in, and that dialing in doesn't translate to its other algorithms.

So yeah, it's a great pedal for texture, IMO. In no way does it even approach a good investment for dedicated reverb/delay or a good entry point into effects, though. If you can go somewhere and try it, do it. But the YouTube videos aren't accurate to the experience of using one.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Do not get the Microcosm as a first effects pedal. It's more for texture than for delay, reverb or looping. Its microloops don't work in a super orderly manner and it won't quite sync up how you expect it to. Beautiful, but VERY unreliable, obtuse and finicky.

I was fortunate enough to be able to mess around with one for an hour or two. And later on, I did pick one up -- two reverb effects units later. It has some significant quirks that make it not ideal for a delay/reverb go-to. Even now, I find myself using it less than my Specular Tempus and Mimeophon. It isn't great for jamming or improv -- you have to work with its idiosyncracies and play to its strengths in a way that can get kinda frustrating. It takes time to dial things in, and that dialing in doesn't translate to its other algorithms.

So yeah, it's a great pedal for texture, IMO. In no way does it even approach a good investment for dedicated reverb/delay or a good entry point into effects, though. If you can go somewhere and try it, do it. But the YouTube videos aren't accurate to the experience of using one.

I guess the texture is more what I'm looking for honestly, the bigsky and other dedicated reverb pedals are probably overkill for my need but I'd like to have something to create texture and inspire, I've probably watched a dozen review videos by now and it seems pretty playable w/ midi sync. I wasn't being fully honest about first pedal. I have some bass pedals (EHX bass muff, envelope filter, etc) that I don't use much for synth playing and I also have a rack-mounted alesis midi-verb that works well but I don't enjoy playing with it much as it requires too much menu diving (like most old rack mounted effects).

So I have another reverb unit that I can use if I want something specific but I'd love something that encourages exploration/inspiration.

That Eventide H9 also looks like it's kind of opposite of what I want as far as interface/usability goes. I mostly just do soundscape/drone jams and haven't gotten to a point where I'm recording a lot yet, still mostly just having fun learning my way around my minibrute and will probably pick up a microfreak at some point for a wavetable synth.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I got a Korg Volca Drum last week, and it's one of the best drum synths I've played with

anyone use one of these?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah it's my fave volca, I really love it for kicks, snares and tuned percussion. Never really came up with a hihat sound I loved, and the lack of velocity over midi is a big misstep imo, but i use it often synced to my modular or just sample it on my computer.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

There is velocity over MIDI on the Volca Drum (it was added in a firmware update), but it's purely volume and the curve kind of sucks. I had a clap overpowering the rest of a kit this weekend and had to manually drop it to a value of around 40 in the sequencer.

also there's this: https://youtu.be/lo9YMWjhpVQ

I only watched the video just now, but with whatever this set-up is you can have velocity control up to 6 different parameters per track.

kidfresca fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 31, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

I got a Korg Volca Drum last week, and it's one of the best drum synths I've played with

anyone use one of these?

The Volca Drum is legitimately good, but very specifically an instrument. It’s overkill if you’re just looking for drum patterns, it’s easy to rabbit hole down hard into patching, and it has a very particular trap music-esque sound, but I still love it. There’s a lot of weird loving poo poo you can do with it cuz it’s just a bank of six 2-osc voices and is as flexible as that implies.

I wish I put more time into it, but I ended up going back to the DAW. It’s really hard to outdo Vital. That said, I greatly appreciated the Drum’s pattern sequencing, patching, and parameter automation UI, and I think it’s one of the best UI experiences on the market.

Can recommend, have fun!!!

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Rolo posted:

Speaking of long rear end preorders, have the 404MK2 made it to people yet?

I just got mine, ended up buying it on eBay from a seller in Japan since the supply chain here is boned.

Still wrapping my head around the workflow and limitations- there's a few different ways you can go about building up a song but they all push you toward resampling and committing to decisions on a track in ways that aren't easy to reverse, which is fun but occasionally frustrating. Chopping loops and one shots is really quick and easy. USB C sampling from a phone or tablet is stupid simple and a gamechanger these days when I have my entire music library on my phone.

The built in effects are SO GOOD. You can sample anything and turn it into something that sounds good after resampling with effects a couple times, and there's not any obvious signal degradation with resampling so you don't have to go lo-fi if you don't want to. But, if you're in the market for an SP then you probably do want to go lo-fi, and the cassette sim and 303 vinyl sim are both really solid.

Overall incredibly fun to play as an instrument and I love that I can sit outside or on the couch with a power bank.

Couple annoying design decisions and bugs that I'm still running into which hopefully will be fixed-
-"Pattern memory full" bug that deletes the pattern you're on. Rare but very annoying.
-Sample envelopes are very limited- would kill for a real ADSR.
-When loading samples from the SD card it will stay in the same folder to load multiple pads... but if you change the sample on a pad, it goes all the way back to the root folder and makes you navigate back.
-Some shortcuts are left off the printed labels and/or undocumented in weird ways eg: Shift+Reverse+<Pad x> mutes that pad, which isn't even in the manual that I can find, let alone on the panel for reference.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Reminds me to ask. I’ve been meaning to actually work with samples more, or at least make a 1 minute track that only uses it. As much as I’d love to just sample anything that sounds cool to me, I’d rather not piss off the DMCA gods if any of my tracks become public (e.g. go on Soundcloud).

Are there recommended royalty-free or CC/MIT license sample libraries I can tinker with? I know some stuff on archive.org is good and that MFGR discs are generally free to use, but that’s about it. There’s a whole lot of them out there, and I have no idea what’s worth getting.

Also general advice on composing with samples is greatly appreciated, all my knowledge is synths and patching.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

MMD3 posted:

I guess the texture is more what I'm looking for honestly, the bigsky and other dedicated reverb pedals are probably overkill for my need but I'd like to have something to create texture and inspire, I've probably watched a dozen review videos by now and it seems pretty playable w/ midi sync. I wasn't being fully honest about first pedal. I have some bass pedals (EHX bass muff, envelope filter, etc) that I don't use much for synth playing and I also have a rack-mounted alesis midi-verb that works well but I don't enjoy playing with it much as it requires too much menu diving (like most old rack mounted effects).

So I have another reverb unit that I can use if I want something specific but I'd love something that encourages exploration/inspiration.

That Eventide H9 also looks like it's kind of opposite of what I want as far as interface/usability goes. I mostly just do soundscape/drone jams and haven't gotten to a point where I'm recording a lot yet, still mostly just having fun learning my way around my minibrute and will probably pick up a microfreak at some point for a wavetable synth.

Ahhh! Yeah, I'd give it a shot, then. Just a heads up that the looping kinda drifts even under MIDI sync (at least for me, and a friend of mine who has one with a much better MIDI setup than I do). Seems like it's by design so you get evolving effects, but it's worth considering.

If you haven't already, I'd also give Mutable Instruments' Clouds a look. It's Eurorack, but you can get used clones for $150 and under if you watch Reverb (also look for uBurst and Monsoon), and the same goes for the Niftycase -- which powers it and converts MIDI to CV/clock. Plus you can try it for free with VCV Rack (I think it's under "Audible Instruments" there).

Also I'm excited for you to get that Microfreak! It's an insane amount of synth, both for the price and in general.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 31, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The quality is generally poor, but freesound.org has quite a lot of public domain samples. But you won't be using those samples as presented anyways, it's how you process them that makes them interesting so maybe a dodgy snare hit is actually a good thing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How did people in the 80s and 90s get away with sampling so freely, then?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

No enforcement. Once rights holders realized sampling was a thing it got squashed pretty hard.. I recall White Zombie had some issues over it but I can't find references to it now.

Now everyone pays someone to clear the usage of samples.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

anyone use [a Korg Volca Drum]?

I'm finding that a Volca Drum, a SoftPop2, and a Keystep make for a tight jam setup. My only complaint is that recording motion sequences is disabled while chaining patterns.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

No enforcement. Once rights holders realized sampling was a thing it got squashed pretty hard.. I recall White Zombie had some issues over it but I can't find references to it now.

disgusting.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

xzzy posted:

That sucks. So if I sample anything, the original source of the sample can legally just pull down whatever I make with it? Even if it’s heavily processed and barely resembles the original?

I mean, I kinda get it for parts of entire songs, but not so much for sampling an independently-made drum loop, key riff, or something weirder like stock SFX or a cool noise I found in a random Youtube video. This makes me less confident in using samples, despite hearing that they’re quite fun to work with. It’s especially heinous cause I can’t tell what I’ll get in trouble for using and what I can pepper all over without getting sued.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

welcome to copyright!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

that said the likelihood of getting in trouble is really low if you’re not pulling insane numbers and samples are a ton of fun to work with. spend some time loving around with some classic breaks like the amen or think, it’s a ton of fun!

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Re midi and guitars - I have the Rock Band midi Squier sitting in my closet. No idea what it's worth (eBay is all over the place). It works, but I think it completes circuits in the frets to determine the pitch, so bends don't work, but otherwise it feels like a Squier.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

that said the likelihood of getting in trouble is really low if you’re not pulling insane numbers and samples are a ton of fun to work with. spend some time loving around with some classic breaks like the amen or think, it’s a ton of fun!

Yeah right around when I first started sampling stuff in the mid-90s I interviewed Negativland for an arty magazine. I asked them if they had any advice about sampling and they said "as soon as you're big enough to be worth suing, you'll be big enough to afford a lawyer". That's been my approach ever since. It's not impossible that I will eventually get dinged for something I guess, but 25 years later I have yet to have any significant issues.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

GirlTalk managed to avoid prison time so sample away imo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pollyanna posted:

You should read up on the production history of The Beastie Boys’ Paul’s Boutique and all of the times it’s been the subject of a court fight in the 30 years since

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

net work error posted:

Yeah but he made zero money until he started making bespoke beats for mumble rappers

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

That sucks. So if I sample anything, the original source of the sample can legally just pull down whatever I make with it? Even if it’s heavily processed and barely resembles the original?

I mean, I kinda get it for parts of entire songs, but not so much for sampling an independently-made drum loop, key riff, or something weirder like stock SFX or a cool noise I found in a random Youtube video. This makes me less confident in using samples, despite hearing that they’re quite fun to work with. It’s especially heinous cause I can’t tell what I’ll get in trouble for using and what I can pepper all over without getting sued.

Don't use canned samples then. What do you think I buy all these records for anyway?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Those records still belong to someone, no?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

net work error posted:

Good to hear. I think they fall under fair usage anyway.

How about this, if I told you I recorded it from a video many years ago and consider it one of my favorite amen breaks, could one possibly get in trouble with this:

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/amen-hphpwkt

Extra points if you can tell me what video!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

all my samples are free range organic

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Those records still belong to someone, no?

I think as the owner of the record I'm legally entitled to play it for somebody else, to sample it within fair usage, and to make myself a backup of it. But if you're referring to the copyright, it depends. I collect oddities on vinyl and belly dance records,
a few of them the company is gone, the provenance is lost somehow. Besides, it's all "found art" and the copyright laws are generally bullshit made to keep people from being anything but good consumers.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

petit choux posted:

Good to hear. I think they fall under fair usage anyway.

How about this, if I told you I recorded it from a video many years ago and consider it one of my favorite amen breaks, could one possibly get in trouble with this:

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/amen-hphpwkt

Extra points if you can tell me what video!

IANAL, and, it's probably bad advice from a legal standpoint, but I don't think anyone has ever sued over the Amen Break and I don't think anyone has ever bothered to clear it. I think probably also at this point the fact that it's been used in literally thousands of songs without a single copyright action would make it fall under some kind of "failure to enforce" argument.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

kidfresca posted:

There is velocity over MIDI on the Volca Drum (it was added in a firmware update), but it's purely volume and the curve kind of sucks. I had a clap overpowering the rest of a kit this weekend and had to manually drop it to a value of around 40 in the sequencer.

also there's this: https://youtu.be/lo9YMWjhpVQ

I only watched the video just now, but with whatever this set-up is you can have velocity control up to 6 different parameters per track.

Cheers, I'll look into the firmware update!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

there was a gofundme or similar some years back where a bunch of people pitched in money for the drummer who originally played the amen break as a sign of gratitude

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

He died :smith:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there was another gofundme to have him killed and it was quite successful.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah there was another gofundme to have him killed and it was quite successful.

sad. oh well there’s other guys

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
IANAL but I believe most sampling falls under fair use because of its transformative nature:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformative_use

https://www.hiig.de/en/future-sampling-transformative-art-copyright-infringement/

i.e. if you're turning the original work into something different and not taking away business from the rights holders you should be fine.

snorch fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm not sure if it's something that's easily searchable, but I found an option when uploading to soundcloud, where I could apply a creative commons license to the work.
Pretty sure it's totally ok to sample / rework most off the CC licensed stuff. Just be sure to attribute credit.

I am also not a lawyer, but it has been an area of interest for me.
Copyright law gets real messy, real quick. There's copyright on the music itself, as composed, and separate copyright on any recordings.
If you want to nerd out learning a bit, about it, Leonard French has an informative and entertaining youtube channel doing the lawsplainer thing mostly about copyright law (his area of practice)

For a bit more SEO'd, and lighter approach, Legal Eagle has a few videos about copyright law, with some direct music case studies.

JESUS wept, that's surprising as hell! my neighbor just started up a 2 stroke outboard boat engine in the driveway just outside my open window. Scared the poo poo out of me.. Off to BYOB for some chill, and get rid of these jangles, uggghhhhh......