Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

If I remember right it's a money thing - a writer gets royalties if they wrote a song in a TV episode rather than just the usual script.

Really? I would expect studios to clamp down harder on that if it's a money thing, nickel and diming their creative teams is practically their whole job. C'mon, do what you do best and spare us from mediocre musical knockoffs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The company I'm consulting at requires that everyone log the hours for the week on the last workday of the month, by 16.
Said company uses a terrible hour-logging program that has to be run through a web-thin client unless you have a company pc.
Becausee of said 'everyone has to log hours today and loving now.' said program and service are basically unusable and unreachable that entire day because of the load.

And then you get a whiny email from HR about how you missed the deadline the day after.
The entire system is basically designed to make you just log in monday morning and log full work days for the week, then close it. Which I would, if not for the fact that my hours are spread over multiple different projects, and thus have to be logged separately.
Ugh.

And a secondary one, the whole 'you're not buying clothes, you're buying the BRAND' bullshit. So many clothes nowadays have a billion logos and tags and etc, it's so over the top.
Why does this simple, thin beanie need 2 big tags (1 in cotton on a seam, another on a big piece of faux-leather) for the brand? I find myself removing tags and etc from clothes surprisingly often.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dip Viscous posted:

Asking you to use an app instead of just using a regular web browser is essentially the company saying "our web site is dogshit and we know it and no we won't fix it".

No, it means they want you stuck in the platform and not leave so they keep feeding you ads. loving Reddit app won’t even let you copy to look stuff up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SubNat posted:

The company I'm consulting at requires that everyone log the hours for the week on the last workday of the month, by 16.
Said company uses a terrible hour-logging program that has to be run through a web-thin client unless you have a company pc.
Becausee of said 'everyone has to log hours today and loving now.' said program and service are basically unusable and unreachable that entire day because of the load.

And then you get a whiny email from HR about how you missed the deadline the day after.
The entire system is basically designed to make you just log in monday morning and log full work days for the week, then close it. Which I would, if not for the fact that my hours are spread over multiple different projects, and thus have to be logged separately.
Ugh.

This sounds like my job, except that HR doesn't do poo poo, and it's my boss sending me the whiny email.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

KozmoNaut posted:

I hate this insane dumbing-down of every piece of technology. Making things easy to use is fine, but give me a goddamn expert mode or secret admin menu or something, please!

It seems like the easier to use something is, the harder it is to fix it when it breaks. I can't complain too much, it keeps computer touchers like me employed, but my god can it be frustrating.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Disney adults.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

A decades-old peeve:
What was it with teachers' issue with gum?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It'd get stuck under desks and in hair

Remember spitballs?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

FFT posted:

It'd get stuck under desks and in hair

Remember spitballs?

Of course, Mark still doesn't know where that shot straight in his ear came from, hahaha.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Good point though.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah I chafed at it as a kid too. Instead I chewed on plastic which I'm sure has had no long-lasting effects

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They tried to pull the whole new timekeeping program thing 3/4s into a project I was in and they shuttered thebplans once they fpund out everyone hated it and the... peculiarities of the program didnt make anything easier.

Before that we had to fill in a timesheet by hand/excel and hand it in.

The program made you jump through several hoops and dig through several codes to find your project and occupation...to output the same piece of paper we used to hand in and manually give it to HR.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They tried to pull the whole new timekeeping program thing 3/4s into a project I was in and they shuttered thebplans once they fpund out everyone hated it and the... peculiarities of the program didnt make anything easier.

Before that we had to fill in a timesheet by hand/excel and hand it in.

The program made you jump through several hoops and dig through several codes to find your project and occupation...to output the same piece of paper we used to hand in and manually give it to HR.

God, same. Our Oracle based system is so buggy that adding any amount of granularity past "did my job x hours on y date" basically guarantees at least one error that requires you to start over. I have 8 project codes to manage, and my timesheet takes upwards of an hour to fill out. Many among us have it worse.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Mighty Moltres posted:

A decades-old peeve:
What was it with teachers' issue with gum?

What was their issue with hats? That poo poo was even weirder. Wearing a toque because it was cold was like the worst possible rules offense to them and would get you screamed at like you'd just walked into the classroom with your balls out. This wasn't just one insane teacher, they were all like that the whole time I was in school and in middle school it was even an actual written school rule.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dip Viscous posted:

What was their issue with hats? That poo poo was even weirder. Wearing a toque because it was cold was like the worst possible rules offense to them and would get you screamed at like you'd just walked into the classroom with your balls out. This wasn't just one insane teacher, they were all like that the whole time I was in school and in middle school it was even an actual written school rule.

It's an old-fashioned etiquette thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I know motorcycles are loud and that's just a thing we've all got to live with apparently, fine, okay. I can tune out the roaring and revving, but god drat why do they have to pop and sputter too? There's no tuning that poo poo out when a motorcycle goes RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRBAP!!!! right next to your window at night. gently caress.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tiggum posted:

It's an old-fashioned etiquette thing.

This.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brawnfire posted:

I know motorcycles are loud and that's just a thing we've all got to live with apparently, fine, okay. I can tune out the roaring and revving, but god drat why do they have to pop and sputter too? There's no tuning that poo poo out when a motorcycle goes RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRBAP!!!! right next to your window at night. gently caress.

Motorcycles like that (Harley's, basically) are purposely designed to make those sounds because Harley riders expect it, and they want everyone else to KNOW they've got a Harley!

I want to say that "back in the day" they were like that because of the mechanics of an engine performing at idle vs. it's "ideal" amount of throttle resulted in that sort of being necessary. But modern engines could EASILY adjust to not do this, but, as said, Harley owners WANT those sounds to let the world know they're cool and have a cool bike and aren't you jealous?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's the thing that really gets me, is I know the loudness is vanity. And imagining the kind of person who wants to be heard across a sleeping city makes me want to scream and slap. Everyone else is humming around on super efficient engines, even semi trucks come down the street and I barely notice, but one hairy gut on a bike has to sound like a Fokker

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

Motorcycles like that (Harley's, basically) are purposely designed to make those sounds because Harley riders expect it, and they want everyone else to KNOW they've got a Harley!

I want to say that "back in the day" they were like that because of the mechanics of an engine performing at idle vs. it's "ideal" amount of throttle resulted in that sort of being necessary. But modern engines could EASILY adjust to not do this, but, as said, Harley owners WANT those sounds to let the world know they're cool and have a cool bike and aren't you jealous?

Lets not forget that Harleys also leak oil like a sieve. If you see oil spots on a sidewalk, that's because someone has parked a Harley there (because they're too good for parking spaces)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate that superficial damage to cars is like, a thing people judge. No, I'm not paying money to fix a paint chip or a tiny dent, no I don't care if a shopping cart touches my car while the person parked one over unloads. gently caress off. This thing is a necessary evil not my self worth.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My father was a biker. I grew up surrounded by Harleys all day long. He would do a lot of meth and take apart a Harley and put it back together. Haha years and years later is when I realized that was why he was constantly dismantling and putting motorcycles together.

I can easily see why people don't like bikers / motorcycles / Harleys in particular. I guess because it's the sound of my childhood, I love it. Yeah, you can identify a Harley by sound, and that's how you know there are people around who have the same appreciation for uhhh the Harley aesthetic as you. Dad used to cock his head like a dog who just heard "walkies" when a misfiring engine would pass by.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate that superficial damage to cars is like, a thing people judge. No, I'm not paying money to fix a paint chip or a tiny dent, no I don't care if a shopping cart touches my car while the person parked one over unloads. gently caress off. This thing is a necessary evil not my self worth.

I too view cars as an appliance that get me from point a to b that occasionally needs fuel, oil, tires, etc. The level of angst some people go through worrying about a ding or a scratch is alien to me. That or time and money wasted at car washes, detailing shops, and so on.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Back in my car-ownership days, I mostly got around this problem by buying my cars pre-beaten-all-to-hell so it wasn't like any further damage would ever matter much.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cars and guitars gotta have scars

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

KozmoNaut posted:

I absolutely hate that.

Try troubleshooting a Chromecast that doesn't want to connect or randomly drops video playback. There are no logs and no error messages, no diagnostics, no connection data or statistics, nothing. Google's help pages just say that you should turn it off and on again, or factory reset it if that doesn't work.

If it still doesn't work, well I guess you're hosed. Go ask for help on the Google forums or whatever, but you'll only ever get answers from other users, who either completely misunderstand the issue, mindlessly repeat the "helpful" steps from the help pages or have the same problem and no solution.

You will never ever get help from an actual Google employee, because the big G doesn't give a poo poo.

I hate this insane dumbing-down of every piece of technology. Making things easy to use is fine, but give me a goddamn expert mode or secret admin menu or something, please!

oh you are all going to love trying to find out why your PC just randomly turned itself off if you have Windows 11...

But WHY did it shut down?? This is all any of them say. But WHY it wasn't a power cut, I clicked a link and the computer turned off, you did it, not me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm glad none of my PCs can even run Win11.

E: Maybe the file server can, but :lol:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Not caring about cars is very liberating, I think. You see so many people driving around in cars which are worth like £70k+ , and it just must be so stressful to constantly worry about the exterior or interior getting cosmetic damage.

I just get cheap, efficient cars and drive them nicely until they die of natural causes, then trade them in, because I am sensible and the best.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My car is the streetcar. Ding ding motherfckers

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

drat... That post made my heartstrings go zing zing zing

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I buy imported international foods from a variety of countries. Whenever there are instructions on the packet, they are inevitably under a huge label added by the importer, translating the ingredients and giving destination-country-compliant nutritional facts. Put the ingredients/RDA label over the ingredients/RDA poo poo on the package! We need to see the instructions, goddammit! And of course it's that lovely label that tears as soon as you start to remove it, no matter how careful you are. The best I can do is dampen the label and kind of roll the paper off until I can make out the text below, and that's iffy depending on the packaging material.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I deal with that exact problem by dampening the label with lighter fluid. After a few minutes it should slide right off. It's still infuriating that they do it in the first place but at least it's something.

Goo Gone works even better, but that poo poo's expensive.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

You can also dampen the label with lighter fluid then set it on fire, but watch out!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

I deal with that exact problem by dampening the label with lighter fluid. After a few minutes it should slide right off. It's still infuriating that they do it in the first place but at least it's something.

Goo Gone works even better, but that poo poo's expensive.
I used lighter fluid growing up (well, my parents did), but I graduated to Goo Gone some years back. It does work--I use it for pretty much every other label I need to remove (and gum from my brand-new car mats, ugh). I guess it feels like overkill for this, especially when the water's boiling and I'm like "Okay, so how long does this... ah, goddammit these loving labels"

But I'll plan ahead and give it a try next time. :cheers:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i thought i bought a silver nailpolish with glitter in it but it's actually just a silver-glitter topcoat >:c

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

"hey what time should I be over"
"any time works for me"
"any time works for me too, how about n"
"no sorry that doesn't work. Can we do m"

Mother fucker say 'any time after m' the first time I asked then

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Arrath posted:

time and money wasted at car washes

To be fair to this specific point, car washes are super important in the spring if you've been driving around on roads that were salted to clear away snow. Get a nice undercarriage wash to clear away all the salt and prevent your important vulnerable car bits from rusting through. Ask me how I know

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Waiting for an answer for a question to a friend and their "is typing" indicator just keeps appearing and disappearing. Seemingly forever.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

Waiting for an answer for a question to a friend and their "is typing" indicator just keeps appearing and disappearing. Seemingly forever.

Lol I am guilty of this. It's because I'm overthinking everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

Lol I am guilty of this. It's because I'm overthinking everything

Actually now I'm worrying about what my typing looks like to others. I hope I'm not doing that to people accidentally, because I definitely rephrase things over and over.