Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

LochNessMonster posted:

Get whatever you think you like or find interesting. Any platforms or clouds you have in mind?

Was thinking Azure first then AWS second. I just didn't know if I needed anything baseline first before going for them. Like how Microsoft used to have their MCSE stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Work is offering to pay for a Palo Alto cert, and I'm wondering what the test is like compared to say, the CCNA/CCNP? Are there sims/simlets, or is it all multiple choice type stuff? Wondering how much lab time I should give myself before I try for the exam.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Jedi425 posted:

Work is offering to pay for a Palo Alto cert, and I'm wondering what the test is like compared to say, the CCNA/CCNP? Are there sims/simlets, or is it all multiple choice type stuff? Wondering how much lab time I should give myself before I try for the exam.

I’ve only done the PCNSE but there were no sims. There are some problems where they’ll show you a config and some other info and you need to provide an answer to questions based on it.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I've been doing the Dion training Udemy course for the CYSA+ cert. Slowly losing my motivation to finish it. Anyone here have a positive story after passing it?

My end goal is a WFH cyber security gig. My plan after this is to work on the az-500, since I already passed az-104.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Zil posted:

Was thinking Azure first then AWS second. I just didn't know if I needed anything baseline first before going for them. Like how Microsoft used to have their MCSE stuff.

Microsoft certifications now have three levels (fundamentals, associate and expert) with the expert level requiring the associate version as a prerequisite. They also have specialty certifications that don't have a prerequisite but you wouldn't start with these.
https://aka.ms/traincertposter

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cyks posted:

Microsoft certifications now have three levels (fundamentals, associate and expert) with the expert level requiring the associate version as a prerequisite. They also have specialty certifications that don't have a prerequisite but you wouldn't start with these.
https://aka.ms/traincertposter

That helps out quite a bit in organizing all their various offerings. Right click saved.

Thank you very much.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
hello goons, i'm getting ready to take my a+ 1002 and it looks like it'll have to be online because the nearest testing center is 2 hours away. any advice on taking a comptia online test? i know i'm gonna have to remove my second monitor, but has anyone done it sucessfully?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

hello goons, i'm getting ready to take my a+ 1002 and it looks like it'll have to be online because the nearest testing center is 2 hours away. any advice on taking a comptia online test? i know i'm gonna have to remove my second monitor, but has anyone done it sucessfully?

try to move to a mostly empty room with no papers. if you have a usb webcam you can independently move around, it will be easier since they require you to scan your room. if you have an S/O or roommate let them know they cannot be around or audible. they will call you out for looking around the room, or for resting your head on your hands, or for looking at your hands, or for talking to yourself.

not to stress you out, but it is not a great experience, so if you can keep it in mind ahead of time you can prepare yourself and avoid proctor harassment.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Jedi425 posted:

Hey, my new job is pushing me to get the PCNSE as well! I also have the CCNA, and from what I hear from others at my place of employment it is a bit more config and security oriented than what I experienced with the CCNA. Granted, I got the old Routing and Switching CCNA the day before the test changed.

rafikki posted:

I’ve only done the PCNSE but there were no sims. There are some problems where they’ll show you a config and some other info and you need to provide an answer to questions based on it.

Thank you for this.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Came across an additional resource that I wanted to add: https://microsoftlearning.github.io/AZ-900T0x-MicrosoftAzureFundamentals/. They have labs for other exams as well.
I'm more of a hands-on learner and get distracted within five minutes trying to just read/watch videos. These labs compliment the Microsoft learning path modules and help break up the material.
You'll need an azure account to actually do them though. You can register for an account with a free $200 of credit for 30 days or if you have a school email address (thanks WGU letting us keep it after we graduate) you can get $100 of credit for 12 months (renewable yearly).

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A word of caution for anyone creating a cloud account (AWS/AZURE/GCP):

The first thing you should do is look at securing the root account, and how to configure a billing alert. There are too many horror stories of beginners (like myself) creating cloud resources and leaving them running for a month, and receiving a nasty bill. I have an alert that notifies me if my spending goes over $10 for the month.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hughmoris posted:

A word of caution for anyone creating a cloud account (AWS/AZURE/GCP):

The first thing you should do is look at securing the root account, and how to configure a billing alert. There are too many horror stories of beginners (like myself) creating cloud resources and leaving them running for a month, and receiving a nasty bill. I have an alert that notifies me if my spending goes over $10 for the month.

If you take a course, this is usually one of the very first things they tell/show you how to do. Great advice nevertheless!

Also, always enable MFA.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just took the AWS Solutions Architect - Associate exam. Pretty confident I bombed it after little prep, mainly just wanted to see where I was at and I had a half-off coupon

What really sucks is they don't immediately tell you your results, and now I have to wait 24-hours to hear I failed. :smith:

I can't imagine the old days of submitting tests on paper and waiting weeks to hear back.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Much to my surprise, I passed the AWS Solutions Architect exam. :woop:

Now, to figure out next steps. Balancing out the resume with an Azure Administrator certification or committing to better understanding an AWS Specialty.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

Much to my surprise, I passed the AWS Solutions Architect exam. :woop:

Now, to figure out next steps. Balancing out the resume with an Azure Administrator certification or committing to better understanding an AWS Specialty.

I would suggest to committing to one cloud, intermediate/high level certs for a specific one will look nicer in your LinkedIn profile/resume than a base one for every cloud.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Congratulations on the CSAA Hughmorris!

I got the 6 month before expiration reminder for it this week. Life got in the way of my study for the Certified Developer cert, so I'll be wrapping up that one next month and dive straight into the CSAP I guess.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SlowBloke posted:

I would suggest to committing to one cloud, intermediate/high level certs for a specific one will look nicer in your LinkedIn profile/resume than a base one for every cloud.

You're likely right. My IT career has always been "an inch deep and a mile wide" so maybe I should try something different and just commit to getting a deeper understanding of AWS services. I think I'll aim for the AWS Certified Data Analytics next. I've been contemplating AWS Database but I'm thinking there is a higher need for data analysts/engineers compared to DBAs. I could be wrong.

LochNessMonster posted:

Congratulations on the CSAA Hughmorris!

I got the 6 month before expiration reminder for it this week. Life got in the way of my study for the Certified Developer cert, so I'll be wrapping up that one next month and dive straight into the CSAP I guess.

:hfive:

Thanks!

What do you think of the AWS Developer stuff? I can only create ugly scripts, never had the chops to be a programmer. :smith:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hughmoris posted:

You're likely right. My IT career has always been "an inch deep and a mile wide" so maybe I should try something different and just commit to getting a deeper understanding of AWS services. I think I'll aim for the AWS Certified Data Analytics next. I've been contemplating AWS Database but I'm thinking there is a higher need for data analysts/engineers compared to DBAs. I could be wrong.

:hfive:

Thanks!

What do you think of the AWS Developer stuff? I can only create ugly scripts, never had the chops to be a programmer. :smith:

I wouldn’t consider myself a programmer either, although I am involved in writing code these days.

As long as you grasp the context and can read pseudo code you’re probably good.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Crossposting this from another thread:

cage-free egghead posted:

Not sure if anyone here is currently enrolled or is interested in WGU's cloud program but they've broke it up to 3 different career tracks: multi-cloud, AWS, and Azure.

All paths include the following certs: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Cloud+, ITIL Foundation, LPI Linux Essentials, and (ISC)2 Certified Cloud Security Professional

AWS path: Cloud Practitioner, Developer, Solutions Architect, Sysops Admin Associate, and Azure Admin (???)

Azure path: Fundamentals, Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure, Designing and Implementing Microsoft DevOps Solutions, Data Engineering, and Azure Admin

I don't believe they had any Azure certs before this change, so that's a nice addition if that's your end goal. They added the solutions architect and dev ones for AWS on top of the other two. No idea what the Azure one is doing in there though lol

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I am starting from zero. I have a degree in electrical engineering but it’s now ten years old. I’ve been a stay at home dad. I need to get out and work or I’m going to lose my mind.

I’ve started looking at entry level or jr positions and trying to pencil out a path from here to there, but maybe I’m not the first person to be in the position.

Here’s a sample jr position:

quote:

In this position you’ll be responsible for the following:

Maintaining a networking lab used by software engineers and architecture teams in developing high-speed switches, network security equipment and appliances.
Maintaining Switching & routing; VPN; Wired and wireless network equipment
Providing hardware and software engineering support to operate a broad range of servers and switches
Physical layer wiring as well as layer 1 and layer 2 network configuration.
Maintenance and setup of Servers, Laptops, Network switches, VPNs, Firewalls & wireless CPE..

Qualifications:

Bachelor’s or Associates degree in computer science, Information Technology, Electrical Engineering or related field
Comfortable working with a wide variety of network and computing hardware
Able to work effectively in a dynamic & rapidly changing work environment.
Linux administration skills
Good spoken communication skills
VMware
Cisco Switches
Cisco Data Center
Cisco UCS

Is self-study and testing a path to this kind of position?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I got my first I.T. job as a help desk worker for a school in March. I have no certifications so I'm wondering if it's worth getting the A+ and Network + to advance my career or if the experience I'm getting at this job will be enough.

My jump into I.T. is a later in life career switch so I'm not looking into staying at this helpdesk job for like 3 years. I want to keep advancing my career to make up for lost time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lucinice posted:

I got my first I.T. job as a help desk worker for a school in March. I have no certifications so I'm wondering if it's worth getting the A+ and Network + to advance my career or if the experience I'm getting at this job will be enough.

My jump into I.T. is a later in life career switch so I'm not looking into staying at this helpdesk job for like 3 years. I want to keep advancing my career to make up for lost time.

A+ is worthless. Understanding networking is worthwhile, I recommend the N+ or CCNA, of which the latter is more difficult but preferable.

After that, get a sysadmin job and the world is your oyster from there. Cloud is usually the default recommendation because there’s infinite jobs and stupid pay, but you can make a career in databases, virtualization, programming, anything you want. There’s certs for all of these. Azure is big money right now, but you can make any major cloud work.

Don’t stay in helpdesk for more than a year or two, do home lab projects so you’ve experience to point to, and incorporate your own LLC so you can truthfully chalk up your learning expenses and projects as business expenses/experience.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The A+ is mainly useful for getting your foot in the door. Since you already have an IT job, it will do very little for you. Network+ is surprisingly decent. CCNA remains the gold standard but is much harder, especially if you have no real-world networking experience under your belt.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

A+ is worthless. Understanding networking is worthwhile, I recommend the N+ or CCNA, of which the latter is more difficult but preferable.

After that, get a sysadmin job and the world is your oyster from there. Cloud is usually the default recommendation because there’s infinite jobs and stupid pay, but you can make a career in databases, virtualization, programming, anything you want. There’s certs for all of these. Azure is big money right now, but you can make any major cloud work.

Don’t stay in helpdesk for more than a year or two, do home lab projects so you’ve experience to point to, and incorporate your own LLC so you can truthfully chalk up your learning expenses and projects as business expenses/experience.

I've never considered registering myself as a corporate entity. I'll have to look into that. For now I've just been learning python because I've noticed a lot of jobs asking for it and I've always wanted to learn coding.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Proust Malone posted:

I am starting from zero. I have a degree in electrical engineering but it’s now ten years old. I’ve been a stay at home dad. I need to get out and work or I’m going to lose my mind.

I’ve started looking at entry level or jr positions and trying to pencil out a path from here to there, but maybe I’m not the first person to be in the position.

Here’s a sample jr position:

Is self-study and testing a path to this kind of position?

Self-studying to improve your linux knowledge and passing the CCNA seems absolutely achievable. Loads of resources out there for both.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

The Iron Rose posted:

Is it worthless even for someone trying to get their first foothold in IT? Really hope not. I got my A+ at the end of March but my work history is all non-IT. I have a lot of customer service/retail and some management experience and a goon-level amount of hobby computer knowledge. I'm starting to think I may need (at least) a second cert to stand out, and there's a decent amount of gov work in my area (Olympia WA) so I'm considering Sec+ as a next step, but would Net+ be more generally useful to have under my belt?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

thalweg posted:

Is it worthless even for someone trying to get their first foothold in IT? Really hope not. I got my A+ at the end of March but my work history is all non-IT. I have a lot of customer service/retail and some management experience and a goon-level amount of hobby computer knowledge. I'm starting to think I may need (at least) a second cert to stand out, and there's a decent amount of gov work in my area (Olympia WA) so I'm considering Sec+ as a next step, but would Net+ be more generally useful to have under my belt?

A+ is perfectly fine for those starting out in a helpdesk/desktop support role. It can help get your foot in the door and a lot of places list it as an entry level requirement.

I would say Net+ would probably be more helpful for a beginner getting started, and that Sec+ could be skipped entirely unless you're interested in security as a career path.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Some hiring managers may care, so it can absolutely help. But to put it finely, once you get that first IT job, I’d start leaving it off your resume. You don’t want to stay in helpdesk for very long and A+ is the quintessence of a helldesk cert.

I actually don’t know much about the Sec+ these days but I’m pretty sure the government cares about it last I checked. Net+ is definitely the more technical of the two.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

thalweg posted:

Sec+ will get you in the door at Fairchild, so that's something worth shooting for if nothing else. Net+ I never found to be useful.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

The Iron Rose posted:

Some hiring managers may care, so it can absolutely help. But to put it finely, once you get that first IT job, I’d start leaving it off your resume. You don’t want to stay in helpdesk for very long and A+ is the quintessence of a helldesk cert.

I actually don’t know much about the Sec+ these days but I’m pretty sure the government cares about it last I checked. Net+ is definitely the more technical of the two.

They do; even as an Engineer if you work in some government spaces (typically DoD) you need to have an 8570-compliant certificate, of which Sec+ is one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Had to reschedule my ENCOR exam to next Wednesday so I guess I get a few more days for panic studying. :confuoot:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I know it might sound painful but if you are starting to work on your first VCP cert, this is the time to reassess and think on something different. Maybe AWS? Maybe something on the Microsoft 365 stack? I wouldn't trust VMware certs to hold the same value as those in the near future.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The need for VCP knowledge already designing as more companies shift to exclusively cloud but I really don’t think the Broadcom purchase is going to cause a mass exodus of the platform the way people are acting. Though yes if you’re trying to break into IT I’d recommend azure and O365 knowledge regardless.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

A+ and a security clearance got me through the door (Help Desk) with the DoD. Sec+ got me a Sys Admin position which comes with a significant pay raise.
I guess it all depends on what path you take.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ugh. Hate when you buy a 400 question test packet and 1/3 of the questions are repeats.

Thanks, Jason Fox!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

If I chose to aim for the CCNA certification instead of the Network+ what's the best resource to learn it?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure about best but I'm currently going through Jeremy's IT Labs on youtube. So far it's been pretty good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lucinice posted:

If I chose to aim for the CCNA certification instead of the Network+ what's the best resource to learn it?

Everyone learns differently, but I liked Todd Lammle's CCNA books and passed my exam with them. He's got new books out since the exam change, but I haven't seen them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Network+
Linux+
Security+
AWS Sysops Admin
AZ-104
AS in Network, Security, and Information Technology

Do I leave all of that on my resume, and order them in importance to the job, or do I leave some off and some on? I also have A+ but I don't think that matters compared to everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boba Pearl posted:

Network+
Linux+
Security+
AWS Sysops Admin
AZ-104
AS in Network, Security, and Information Technology

Do I leave all of that on my resume, and order them in importance to the job, or do I leave some off and some on? I also have A+ but I don't think that matters compared to everything else.

I keep all certs on my personal website(which contains the unabridged version of my cv) and list only the ones that require a year or more technical experience on my cv, otherwise it would get too crowded.