Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

ddiddles posted:

Also considering robbing people for their lumber, prices are stupid.

great news! it only gets worse when you escape the gravity of 2x4s and plywood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Congrats on the new space. Sounds like you're on the right track for building up the shop and having a healthy fear of the spinny sharp things.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I recently designed a desk for my studio. I live in a city and have no space to do big projects, but my dad has a garage at home and offered to build it as a birthday present.

It turned out surprisingly well, considering I had never designed a piece of furniture before and he had never built a desk before. All of the tolerances were great (i.e. sizing of the sliding keyboard tray and 19" rack inserts), the desk was level, it could support the necessary weight. It was perfect.

Except for the finish.

Three weeks out, the finish is still extremely tacky- if I stop moving my mouse momentarily it 'sticks' to the table and small bit of force is needed to get it moving again. Simply touching the surface of the desk is sticky, and leaves a very noticeable smudge/fingerprint impression. Setting anything on the table (like the midi devices or clamps in the picture) leaves a permanent impression or smudge before long. He is convinced the finish will dry with time, but my experience (from finishing a couple guitars) is that stains applied too thick never dry right.

My dad tends to to get a bit impatient, and isn't the best at following directions. I learned he used Saman branded 'One Step Wood Stain & Varnish', marketed as an all in one 'Seal, Stain and Varnish'.

The directions very specifically say to apply in thin, even coats leaving drying time between coats. However, I came to learn my dad had applied the finish much thicker than intended, almost like a paint, to get the dark black Ebony coat in the picture

The can advises cleaning with 'warm soapy water' or 'mineral spirits', and some articles online suggest this can help fix a tacky finish by dissolving leftover pigment. But I have tried wiping down a hidden section of the desk with both (I also tried Naptha) and there's not much improvement or decrease in tackiness. The cloth I applied it with doesn't appear to be lifting any pigment either. When I tried to scrub harder I ended up scuffing a section- which did feel less tacky but also looked bad.

Is it likely that it will eventually lose tackiness if I keep applying mineral spirits/naptha/soapy water? If I let it dry for a few more weeks/months? Is there something I could apply to seal/harden it? Or has the finish been borked and needs to be redone?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 29, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

PoizenJam posted:

I recently designed a desk for my studio. I live in a city and have no space to do big projects, but my dad has a garage at home and offered to build it as a birthday present.

It turned out surprisingly well, considering I had never designed a piece of furniture before and he had never built a desk before. All of the tolerances were great (i.e. sizing of the sliding keyboard tray and 19" rack inserts), the desk was level, it could support the necessary weight. It was perfect.

Except for the finish.

Three weeks out, the finish is still extremely tacky- if I stop moving my mouse momentarily it 'sticks' to the table and small bit of force is needed to get it moving again. Simply touching the surface of the desk is sticky, and leaves a very noticeable smudge/fingerprint impression. Setting anything on the table (like the midi devices or clamps in the picture) leaves a permanent impression or smudge before long. He is convinced the finish will dry with time, but my experience (from finishing a couple guitars) is that stains applied too thick never dry right.

My dad tends to to get a bit impatient, and isn't the best at following directions. I learned he used Saman branded 'One Step Wood Stain & Varnish', marketed as an all in one 'Seal, Stain and Varnish'.

The directions very specifically say to apply in thin, even coats leaving drying time between coats. However, I came to learn my dad had applied the finish much thicker than intended, almost like a paint, to get the dark black Ebony coat in the picture

The can advises cleaning with 'warm soapy water' or 'mineral spirits', and some articles online suggest this can help fix a tacky finish by dissolving leftover pigment. But I have tried wiping down a hidden section of the desk with both (I also tried Naptha) and there's not much improvement or decrease in tackiness. The cloth I applied it with doesn't appear to be lifting any pigment either. When I tried to scrub harder I ended up scuffing a section- which did feel less tacky but also looked bad.

Is it likely that it will eventually lose tackiness if I keep applying mineral spirits/naptha/soapy water? If I let it dry for a few more weeks/months? Is there something I could apply to seal/harden it? Or has the finish been borked and needs to be redone?

Probably take it back to his garage to dry out, based on current humidity. If you have a space heater, use judiciously. Soap and water are not going to help, and mineral spirits does not penetrate the immediate surface as far as I know.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Taking it back to the garage is not possible... It's half a continent away. He delivered it during a road trip. Unfortunately, a complete disassembly also has to be avoided at all costs, as I will be using the desk for work.

But if some additional drying in a warm, dry environment might help as you suggest... I suppose, is use air conditioning for humidity control for the room, close the door and windows, and run the computer through some brutal benchmarks so it acts as a space heater. :v:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I ran out of the really nice 1/4" underlayment plywood that I've been using for backs and drawer bottoms. It was 5 equal thickness birch plys and I think ~$18 a sheet a few years ago. Haven't seen it since and now I have to convince myself to spend ~$45 on absolutely garbage 1/4" plywood. 3/4" MDF is almost $60 right now too.

So now the lathe stand has half a back and no top.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I just wrapped up the cabinet I've been building over in my project thread. Real proud of how this thing turned out. Black cherry, dovetailed case and drawers, frame-and-panel door with a carved panel.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Looks fantastic and the thread was a joy to follow!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The jointer is operational!

Square enough I think.

Yes I still need a belt guard. Don't think I'm going to bother with the blade guard, I can close the fence up to the very front edge.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
ColdPie done their cabinet and Nomnomnom done their jointer. Good work both of you.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

ColdPie posted:

I just wrapped up the cabinet I've been building over in my project thread. Real proud of how this thing turned out. Black cherry, dovetailed case and drawers, frame-and-panel door with a carved panel.

drat, this looks class. Nice job!

So I somehow managed to transfer my 3d model into the real world.

Came together pretty easily for the most part, I decided I'm going to keep the miter saw on its stand, taking it off and on to use the table saw would be annoying. I might build something against the wall that has the miter saw and planer in it, but this bench will be the longest thing I make in a while.

I forgot that the fence track sticks out a good 4 inches when its set to 0 so my 25x25 cutout for it was too shallow. Didn't feel like cutting through anything else for it right now so I just extended its platform out and will do it properly depending on how many times I hit my shin on it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^ that's super cool! I hope one day to have a sweet homemade station like that.

Right now I'm almost finished with babby's first woodworking project(not counting 8th grade shop class): a tabletop ring game

I have enough wood to make 3 more, planning on giving the better ones away at gifts but I'm not too unhappy with my (first ever) miter cuts and forstner bit attempts! I gotta say cutting at a 46° angle is more awkward than I thought it would be, lol

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm making a coaster/trivet for my desk because the one I have doesn't have enough absorbing capacity for how humid it gets sometimes. I'm using pine - is there a finish I can put on it that will still allow it to absorb water freely while making it look a bit nicer than plain pine?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Finishes do almost nothing to inhibit humidity, if that's what you're asking.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm making a coaster/trivet for my desk because the one I have doesn't have enough absorbing capacity for how humid it gets sometimes. I'm using pine - is there a finish I can put on it that will still allow it to absorb water freely while making it look a bit nicer than plain pine?
Usually a coaster does not absorb water and exists to hold the water so it doesn't get on the furniture. If that's your goal, a film finish of some sort is probably the best option. Polyurethane is good for something like that, and water resistance in film finishes is usually a function of the thickness of the film, so the more coats you apply the better.

If you want the coaster to act like a sponge, unfinished is probably best. Oil or wax will make it look a little nicer and don't really provide much real waterproofing, but they can cause water to bead on the surface which may not be what you want.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

You could put a layer of cork on top

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

generally you don't want to encourage your wood to absorb water cause that's what makes it, y'know, warp and crack and poo poo. And because then you're leaving a wet sponge on whatever you got the coaster to protect. if a regular coaster isn't cutting it for your water emission rate you might be better served by some kind of saucer type arrangement, with a lip.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 1, 2022

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I'm doing the marquetry & parquetry for a couple upcoming projects, thought I would share.

Herringbone in black ash and sapele.

Spiral with an assortment of wood species.

:frog:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

To be clear, the coaster is made of scrap wood so I don't care too much about it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ColdPie posted:

Wow, you're good. That's gorgeous.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I'm doing the marquetry & parquetry for a couple upcoming projects, thought I would share.

I've never really wanted to dig into marquetry until this moment right here.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

put grooves in the coaster, give the water somewhere to go

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Meow Meow Meow posted:

hell yeah

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Dude. You're owning it. That frog needs to be a wood :frog: SA smilie

Mods

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm looking around for some generic T-channel for a router table and I found this:
https://woodworksupply.co.uk/collections/metritrax-t-track-components/products/metritrax-universal-l-track-aluminium-metric-1200mm

I've looked at a number of images of pro and home-made router fences and I can't puzzle out what design this L-track would actually be good for. What do you think?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Miter saw fence with stop blocks

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Similar track is used on my table saw mitre gauge. A stop slides on the top, the front can have a sacrificial fence held on with T bolts.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

They specifically say router table fence though

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Router tables need stops as well, you could accomplish the same by having a wooden fence and then routing a groove to install a regular T-Track on the top of the board so that you could install a similar sliding stop block, but that's more effort than just getting this L-Track.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm looking around for some generic T-channel for a router table and I found this:
https://woodworksupply.co.uk/collections/metritrax-t-track-components/products/metritrax-universal-l-track-aluminium-metric-1200mm

I've looked at a number of images of pro and home-made router fences and I can't puzzle out what design this L-track would actually be good for. What do you think?

If you look at the very end of the track, it forms a hieroglyph which translates as "useless faff for the unsuspecting"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

If you look at the very end of the track, it forms a hieroglyph which translates as "useless faff for the unsuspecting"

Very possibly. I've not made a router table fence before so I thought if it might save me some time, might be worth it. Seems I'm "the unsuspecting".

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Very possibly. I've not made a router table fence before so I thought if it might save me some time, might be worth it. Seems I'm "the unsuspecting".
A router table fence can be anything from a straight, square piece of 2x4 with a notch on one edge for the bit to a fancy aluminum extrusions with all sort of places to clamp stuff. It’s not something that needs to be complicated and depending on how you use it and what you use it for, any features beyond ‘straight’ may be completely superfluous.

If I cut mortises or used my router table to cut much joinery, I would probably want a router table fence with stops and very fine adjustments etc. I do those tasks in other ways and mostly use my router table for pattern routing and making molding profiles. ‘Straight stick’ does basically what I need a fence to do.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A router table fence should ideally be split with the two halves able to be moved and clamped independently, so that you can rout an entire surface off and the outfeed side of the fence catches the thinner side as you feed the workpiece through. Also so you can expose just part of the router bit beyond the fence. IMO a router table fence is the most complex, and one of the best arguments for buying a pre-made one vs. a table saw or band saw fence that can just be a solid straight block.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
is there a "thinking mans" type picnic table? like one that's a little fancier than the classic? i was looking to build one and wasnt sure if the design had since evolved

e: like this maybe but idk with all that lumber its gonna be heavy af and cost a pretty penny too

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 3, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

is there a "thinking mans" type picnic table? like one that's a little fancier than the classic? i was looking to build one and wasnt sure if the design had since evolved

e: like this maybe but idk with all that lumber its gonna be heavy af and cost a pretty penny too

Here's this chevron top that Deteriorat and I both did:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2819334&pagenumber=849&perpage=40#post516533061

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

If you want something in that style but lighter you could build one of these with more outdoor-appropriate legs and make the slats actually do something. old-fashioned scaffolding uses the same kind of design. They're not especially heavy but I wouldn't expect a bigass wooden table that can withstand staying out in the weather to be super light either.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 3, 2022

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

A router table fence should ideally be split with the two halves able to be moved and clamped independently, so that you can rout an entire surface off and the outfeed side of the fence catches the thinner side as you feed the workpiece through. Also so you can expose just part of the router bit beyond the fence. IMO a router table fence is the most complex, and one of the best arguments for buying a pre-made one vs. a table saw or band saw fence that can just be a solid straight block.

OK so maybe buy one of these boys and make the table compatible with it? (I'm planning to turn part of my bench into the router table)

https://trenddirectuk.com/trend-rt-fence-a-router-table-back-fence.html

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I got a Jacobs chuck for my lathe. My lathe has MT2 tapers, the chuck says it's an MT2 taper as well, but it fits super loosely, and it wants to slip out when I put it in the headstock.

Here's a video of putting a live center in the tailstock with just hand pressure, and I can't easily get it out without the knockout bar:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZFgw5nyKQs&feature=youtu.be

And here's trying to put the Jacobs chuck in. Even a few taps with a rubber mallet doesn't seat it:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wwiE7VYidJo&feature=youtu.be

I wiped the taper down with denatured alcohol, and got the inside of the head/tailstock tapers as well, but that didn't do anything. The taper on the chuck looks pretty similar to the taper on my centers, but maybe longer?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

more falafel please posted:

I got a Jacobs chuck for my lathe. My lathe has MT2 tapers, the chuck says it's an MT2 taper as well, but it fits super loosely, and it wants to slip out when I put it in the headstock.

Here's a video of putting a live center in the tailstock with just hand pressure, and I can't easily get it out without the knockout bar:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZFgw5nyKQs&feature=youtu.be

And here's trying to put the Jacobs chuck in. Even a few taps with a rubber mallet doesn't seat it:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wwiE7VYidJo&feature=youtu.be

I wiped the taper down with denatured alcohol, and got the inside of the head/tailstock tapers as well, but that didn't do anything. The taper on the chuck looks pretty similar to the taper on my centers, but maybe longer?

Have you tried extending the tailstock out further? If the chuck taper is longer than your live centers it may be bottoming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Have you tried extending the tailstock out further? If the chuck taper is longer than your live centers it may be bottoming out.

Good call, that works for the tailstock! Unfortunately I can't extend the headstock, and it looks like it's bottoming out about 1/8" before it would seat:

Anything I can do short of grinding some metal off the end (I'm probably not going to do that)?

I'll definitely want this to mount in the tailstock for drilling holes, but what I want to use it for now is to mount a mandrel for turning handles for things with threaded inserts, so I need to do that in the headstock. I guess I could use a spur center in the headstock and mount the mandrel in the tailstock and just turn it that way with a bit of waste on the headstock end?

edit: tried to go at it with a hacksaw after seeing folks on turning forums talking about grinding the tang off. 5 minutes in and it's basically just a scratch.

more falafel please fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 4, 2022