Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Hey, hey, hey, it's Disappointment Day! Good luck beating the odds for a house today if you put in a bid

E: this post may be because bitching in the thread is scientifically how you get results you want. It's true :colbert:

I lost and am dissapoint

Though a friend's FC won theirs which is great for them!

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I lost my relocation bid.

The medium above me ended with one bid; the other one in the ward still had zero.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Did the walk of shame to get my money back

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

by rights if you lose a bid you at least get to hang out in the owner's house for a day, if not their yard if they lock the house down

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I may have lost the bid, but as a show of goodwill I will stop by the winner's house, pull out my Namazu mount, and Wassahoi 7 times in their yard.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
across my various characters and shell fcs I snagged 3! He'll yeahs

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Farg posted:

Why

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Until/unless they resume demos or adjust the FC/personal ward balance, housing is entering a long, cold, dark phase. I know people here tend to feel differently, but personally I can't blame anyone for making big moves in the twilight of big moves even being possible

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Farg posted:

https://i.imgur.com/QaS9gsR.mp4

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ultra quick Garo mount question: Do the necessary match victories require it to be in ranked CC, or can it be unranked CC?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Either or

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Unranked works, though YMMV on how much that improves your winrate.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

FeatherFloat posted:

Bigger is generally better, but for a personal house the biggest I'd want to go for is a medium if just because in a large, you apparently feel the items-placed-per-house limit more. That said any personal medium left on Balmung is not an upgrade location-wise or convenience-wise so I'm going to stick with my small in the Goblet.

You can always just wall off the basement.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ugh I completely forgot that today was the last today of this lottery period. Well, RIP to any chance I had of getting a house at all, but I probably would have lost anyway.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey...are you like me, and feel bad about losing out on your housing lottery? Don't worry you are not alone.

Seriously, its like a full blown housing crisis, and the lottery has just made it more evident how disproportionate the demand is to the supply.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Until/unless they resume demos or adjust the FC/personal ward balance, housing is entering a long, cold, dark phase. I know people here tend to feel differently, but personally I can't blame anyone for making big moves in the twilight of big moves even being possible

Yeah. I figured the second wave was basically my only real shot to upgrade my FC house.

I didn’t want to move to Ishgard just because I don’t care for the area. Nor Goblet because Goblet is literally the most boring district. Mist was out because I already have my large personal in Mist. Which left Shirogane and Lavender beds. We already had a small in Shirogane but I actually really like the vibes in Lavender Beds. There were about 15 mediums to choose from, so I scoped out the ones with the least amount of bids and we happened to win.

For round 3, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is only 2-3 larges per server, a handful of mediums and mostly just smalls available. It’s going to be a brutal lottery. Round 4 and beyond are going to be bloodbaths.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Madmarker posted:

Seriously, its like a full blown housing crisis, and the lottery has just made it more evident how disproportionate the demand is to the supply.

Wait a second, I play video games to not think about this!

(I don't want an ingame house though)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Farg posted:

Lol that sucks

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Allowing individuals to buy houses was a mistake. All houses should be FC-only. Personal housing should be instanced.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Wait a second, I play video games to not think about this!

(I don't want an ingame house though)

I mean...in many ways same....it just sucks that I can't get away from a housing crisis even in my fantasy escapism game.

( I do want an ingame house)

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Mordiceius posted:

Allowing individuals to buy houses was a mistake. All houses should be FC-only. Personal housing should be instanced.

That and/or just don't have gameplay features locked behind houses. I don't know how many people there are who only have a personal house so they can garden, but I bet I'm nowhere near the only one. Subs/Airships too to a lesser extent.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Congrats to the gamers who got houses!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Congrats to the gamers who got houses!

celebrate our successes!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm just annoyed my chocobo is almost level capped again, and when I checked the market, it cost half the price of a house to buy one of the things I need to uncap him again. (I already used the quest ones, so I either need to get a full house with a garden, or shell out for more). That's when I looked into getting a house, which I'd already ruled out since I won't stay subbed long enough to keep it.

I'm fine waiting to see if they fix it with the Island Sanctuary. If all else fails I just won't level my poor chocobo who has busted his rear end carrying me through so many undergeared and underleveled hunting logs.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

bagrada posted:

I'm just annoyed my chocobo is almost level capped again, and when I checked the market, it cost half the price of a house to buy one of the things I need to uncap him again. (I already used the quest ones, so I either need to get a full house with a garden, or shell out for more). That's when I looked into getting a house, which I'd already ruled out since I won't stay subbed long enough to keep it.

I'm fine waiting to see if they fix it with the Island Sanctuary. If all else fails I just won't level my poor chocobo who has busted his rear end carrying me through so many undergeared and underleveled hunting logs.

Geeze, how much are the onions on your server? I agree they're too expensive (and that's one reason I advocate for gardening for all) but on Coeurl at least they're nowhere near half the price of a house. They vary in-between 140k and 160k per, most of time.

That is another tip of course, you can server hop in your datacenter and see if you can find them cheaper on another world.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hell, pretty soon you can hop to another datacenter as long as you're not on OCE

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mind over Matter posted:

That and/or just don't have gameplay features locked behind houses. I don't know how many people there are who only have a personal house so they can garden, but I bet I'm nowhere near the only one. Subs/Airships too to a lesser extent.
I think it extends beyond gardening, designing your yard (even with the comically low item limits) and having a significantly bigger volume with 2-3 floors to decorate is also a huge boon to those who want to express their creativity in interior/exterior design.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
I envision that the popular discourse will transition from “Squeenix clearly overcommitted too many houses to FCs because there is a lot of FC lots left” to “Squeenix clearly overcommitted too many houses to FCs because there are no lots available anywhere” by round 4 or 5. There won’t be a round 6 because everyone with a house will be holding on to them for dear life.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mind over Matter posted:

Apartments should get a little instanced yard or something, if it had that I'd be more than happy with my apt and FC room.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really feels like people have built up gardening as a much bigger feature than it actually is.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my FC's house on hyperion has an empty garden if someone wants to roll an alt and grow things in it

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Slacking SE just needs to add another couple dozen neighborhoods per housing district already.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really feels like people have built up gardening as a much bigger feature than it actually is.

Yeah, you pretty much just look at a flowchart and then turn fish guts and dirt into gil

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've had a house since HW and haven't gardened a single thing even once

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Mind over Matter posted:

Geeze, how much are the onions on your server? I agree they're too expensive (and that's one reason I advocate for gardening for all) but on Coeurl at least they're nowhere near half the price of a house. They vary in-between 140k and 160k per, most of time.

That is another tip of course, you can server hop in your datacenter and see if you can find them cheaper on another world.

Excal - I fully admit I checked just the once last year and then didn't look again, but there was exactly one onion on the market board for 1.5 million. I looked into how to make my own, ruled that out, then found a quest I'd missed to get one and promptly forgot about it until this year. Now that I'm about to need one again I'll start shopping around.

edit: looks like they are ~185k on excal right now. Found a market history board that says they haven't gone higher than a mil in three years so I must be misremembering the 1.5 number.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 31, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's time to bird up

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Most of the goon FCs crossbreed chocobird onions on Excalibur, you could always join one of those and ask for the onion :)

Before you server hop you can check cross-server pricing on https://universalis.app/market/8166, sometimes the data is too old to be useful but you can usually tell whether your own server is over-/underpriced at a glance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bagrada posted:

Excal - I fully admit I checked just the once last year and then didn't look again, but there was exactly one onion on the market board for 1.5 million. I looked into how to make my own, ruled that out, then found a quest I'd missed to get one and promptly forgot about it until this year. Now that I'm about to need one again I'll start shopping around.

edit: looks like they are ~185k on excal right now. Found a market history board that says they haven't gone higher than a mil in three years so I must be misremembering the 1.5 number.

I think they’re like 150K now, I think. If you’re in a goon guild someone can probably get you one from the company chest for free.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

orcane posted:

I think it extends beyond gardening, designing your yard (even with the comically low item limits) and having a significantly bigger volume with 2-3 floors to decorate is also a huge boon to those who want to express their creativity in interior/exterior design.

Big same. I live in an apartment and I just want a yard with some trees in my game at least.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

iPodschun posted:

One time I went into Copied Factory with friends on voice chat, and when we zoned in one of them said “Look at this obnoxious hat oh my god”

It was me in the Forgiven Hat, dyed Metallic Yellow

I once got told "nice hat" by a random stranger in Ul'dah while I was in my Amon's-hat-based glam. Definitely want to make a new Aiming plate with the Forgiven hat to have multiple options, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't care how pivotal or important gardening actually is. It's the fact that a large subset of players are unable to engage with a game mechanic because of a lack of supply. That sucks!