Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, I actually kind of like the look of that.
Wasnt sure what to expect of an open wold Sonic game, but I kind of get Breath of the Wild vibes. Not that you can tell much from footage that quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doesn’t look too bad so far (also this seems to confirm that either the game actually is open world or it at least had some big wide open areas ala Kirby & The Forgotten Land)

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
It actually looks pretty decent so far.

The robot designs seem a little out of place.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I just wish the world looked a little more…Sonic style rather than just straight up BOTW. Who knows though, it’s only 30 seconds of one area, I’ll wait to see more. Looks pretty solid though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m still hoping Sonic’s not the only playable character though (Knuckles would be perfect for an open world game for example) but we’ll see I guess

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seems like it'll run like butt on the Switch

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Looks solid, and the brief footage of Sonic running seems a lot more manageable than the rocket powered shopping trolley of Heroes and Unleashed, although I'm not a huge fan of open worlds as a rule so I'll temper my expectations for how much I personally enjoy it; it depends on how they structure it and fill it out. It remains to be seen how the world and enemy design stack up, since we aren't being shown a huge amount, but I'm guessing those aren't Eggman's robots.

It will absolutely run like poo poo on Switch, but there isn't a lot they can do there unless they're willing and able to crush the graphics into oblivion, which they probably aren't.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 31, 2022

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The tiny bits of gameplay look pretty decent and the world looks nice, though I have to echo the sentiment that I'm not 100% onboard with the overall art direction of the game. It looks good for what they're doing, but I'm generally more of a fan of the games taking a cartoonier/more abstract approach to designing their worlds rather than going for a more realist approach.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

looks decent.
this game would've been a good opportunity to bring back the spindash but oh well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The gameplay footage looks decent at least as has been mentioned but we’ll see how it goes (they’ve got new writers working on this one including Ian Flynn from the comics so hopefully the plot and/or dialogue will be a little better at least)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Replacing the Ubisoft towers with literal treadmills is a little on the nose

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
I know it's probably not, but my brain keeps thinking 'is this a Sonic game running in the PSO2 New Genesis engine?!?'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

christ I hope not for their own sake

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should make the Switch version look like Sonic Jam

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Looks fine.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

looks good, just needs some tikal

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Encircling things to kill or interact seems like a natural and obvious choice for how a quick character does with an open space.

I think this is the point where I stop looking at pictures and videos to go in somewhat spoiler-free.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 31, 2022

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Queadlunn posted:

I know it's probably not, but my brain keeps thinking 'is this a Sonic game running in the PSO2 New Genesis engine?!?'.

It would be pretty weird for a Sonic game to be running on anything else

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fawf posted:

looks good, just needs some tikal

They can't use Tikal anymore, not since Ken Penders legally proved that he invented girls

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You’ll get Omochao and you’ll be happy

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

hatty posted:

You’ll get Omochao and you’ll be happy

I will

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Getting some sonic 06 vibes from the general aesthetic

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah a little

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTnofkt9IJA

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sonic should be able to steal cars and drive them around a city imo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sonic should be able to steal cars and drive them to escape from the city imo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That's for Shadow

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FunkyBunko/status/1412915249259364354

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Has there been any word yet on what the S3&K soundtrack for Sonic Origins is going to be? Will literally buy or not buy the game based on if we get the original OST for S3&K or not.

p.s. don't come at me with the "well actually if you listen to the Sonic 3 prototype soundtrack blah blah"

Frankston fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 31, 2022

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It was all over, they specifically cut the original songs citing they wouldn't give into "terrorist demands".
(There has been absolutely no news at all on the soundtrack, other than the bonus tracks for the sound test.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Queadlunn posted:

Hopefully not considering it's a poorly performing fork of an engine that was poo poo when PSU was released and means it'll run terribly on everything, not just switch

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you get it on PC then I guarantee that both soundtracks will be modded in that very day.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's hard to pick up a lot from so little footage, but it looks like they have a clear, varied ideas for how you can use Sonic's speed to interact with the world, be that traveling, interacting with the environment, fighting enemies. Which is uh.

Kinda more than I expected!

The aesthetic being BOTW-lite doesn't bother me much, Sonic's been doing the green pastures forever and I prefer this to say, Lost World's aesthetic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sonic 3 will have no soundtrack, but to compensate they are adding breathing so you will be able to hear Sonic & friends’ every inhale, exhale, wheeze, gasp, and cough. Exactly as originally envisioned in 1994.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Frontiers looks promising- though it's hard to tell from a short teaser. I love the aesthetics, but I'm weird and loved PSO2:NGS' 'artificial nature' vibe. The piano track slaps.

I think in 6 hours we're getting a full trailer or more info so fingers crossed!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pants Donkey posted:

Sonic 3 will have no soundtrack, but to compensate they are adding breathing so you will be able to hear Sonic & friends’ every inhale, exhale, wheeze, gasp, and cough. Exactly as originally envisioned in 1994.

Sonic breathing down your neck asmr for focus study relax and sleep [4k 2160p]

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The grassy look of everything in that preview reminded me of Planet Wisp before it gets to the construction zone. So maybe that's what they're going for. But I'm sure the game will have other themes as the world opens up anyway. Guess I won't be getting it on Switch anymore though. Unless they do an Unleashed Wii type thing with this.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hrist posted:

But I'm sure the game will have other themes as the world opens up anyway.

don’t be so sure, I assumed the same thing about Halo Infinite and got burned

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a Sonic game, it's obliged to mix up the terrain types at least aesthetically and they're actually allowed to still have colour. I'm guessing they're probably using environments that are finished enough to look good for a trailer and gonna save the rest for later.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Looks solid, and the brief footage of Sonic running seems a lot more manageable than the rocket powered shopping trolley of Heroes and Unleashed, although I'm not a huge fan of open worlds as a rule so I'll temper my expectations for how much I personally enjoy it; it depends on how they structure it and fill it out. It remains to be seen how the world and enemy design stack up, since we aren't being shown a huge amount, but I'm guessing those aren't Eggman's robots.

It will absolutely run like poo poo on Switch, but there isn't a lot they can do there unless they're willing and able to crush the graphics into oblivion, which they probably aren't.

It is a decent sign if they're actually focusing on making the controls... well, good. And if they're going to insist on GOFAST then actually having an open world to run around in (Spyro overworlds come to mind) rather than endless narrow paths to shoot down seems like a good idea. Although the grind rails are another question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So are we supposed to get the full trailer sometime today?