Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

You should read up on the production history of The Beastie Boys’ Paul’s Boutique and all of the times it’s been the subject of a court fight in the 30 years since

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smrJ7459pj0&t=100s

Yeah, I know it's Ill Communication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What's going to happen is an automated system will refuse to let you publish and/or monetize a thing. If by some one in a million chance a person thinks they recognize something they represent the labels for in your music, they send a dmca and the platform takes it down. That's about it. You don't really have a recourse, but also barely any consequences. As a nobody posting things for friends to listen to, I'm not worried about actually being sued in the least.

There's also billions of hours of sound on YouTube that the automated systems don't check against. Just stay away from clearly playing several seconds of unmodified music on bigger labels and you'll be fine. If at one point you gain notoriety or start making money with it, revise that policy obviously.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Ok Comboomer posted:

You should read up on the production history of The Beastie Boys’ Paul’s Boutique and all of the times it’s been the subject of a court fight in the 30 years since

I hate the 33 1/3 series but the one about Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation of Millions talks extensively how the Bomb Squad went from getting away with using hundreds of samples in songs to barely using any because the cost got so insane (not as bad as Steely Dan demanding and getting sole writing credit on Déjà Vu (Uptown Baby) but still). It must've been a bonanza for hundreds of lawyers and an annoying chore for the band dealing with all the subpoenas.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

people itt are really underestimating the legal precedent that’s been set when it comes to copyright. should sampling be considered transformative work and fair use? yes. is it? nope!

i just think about how the fantastic Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine song After The Watershed had to be cut off the album because they referenced a rolling stones song’s lyrics in one line of the chorus and rolling stones sued them and won and had to be paid like 25% royalties for it. this sort of absurd scrutiny is the norm.

nobody posting in this thread has any reason to worry because we’re nowhere near notable enough to get sued so like don’t worry about it, but the legal precedent is extremely clear

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

watho posted:

people itt are really underestimating the legal precedent that’s been set when it comes to copyright. should sampling be considered transformative work and fair use? yes. is it? nope!

i just think about how the fantastic Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine song After The Watershed had to be cut off the album because they referenced a rolling stones song’s lyrics in one line of the chorus and rolling stones sued them and won and had to be paid like 25% royalties for it. this sort of absurd scrutiny is the norm.

nobody posting in this thread has any reason to worry because we’re nowhere near notable enough to get sued so like don’t worry about it, but the legal precedent is extremely clear

the Stones also infamously took all of the money Bittersweet Symphony’s ever made

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like the Rolling Stones suck and should be forgotten.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My syntakt is here. Going to pick it up at perfect circuit en la mañana

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Sounds like the Rolling Stones suck and should be forgotten.

They should but it needs to be pointed out they're just one example of many pulling this poo poo. Music copyright is a minefield and the only ones that survive it are the ones with the bankroll to pay lawyers long enough to win in court.

Or just never get famous, that's totally why no one listens to my stuff. It's strategy.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Here is my understanding of sampling issues, based mostly on a series of workshops I attended in the early 2000s, in America - so may not apply to countries that aren't fascist states run purely for the benefit of corporations - if you sample a commercial recording, you are at the mercy of whoever owns the rights. If they want to sue you, they will win. If you sample a snippet of movie dialogue or sound effect, the rights owners inovled can sue you, and if they do, they will win. There is a concept of "fair use," but it pretty much will only apply in very narrow cases, like if you presented an edited version of a recorded song in a classroom for educational purposes, or if you played a snippet during a review of the song/album.

In the 80s, there was a composer named John Oswald, who created the idea of "plunderphonics." He sampled famous pop songs and used tiny little snippets of them decontextualized to create new, transformative works. He did one based of Michael Jackson's "Bad," and he got sued, and as part of the settlement, all copies of his LP, Plunderphonic, were to be seized and destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIWLG-F0Ag

(Ironically, on Michael Jackson's next album, Dangerous, he used an uncleared 2-minutes of audio from the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra as an intro. :lol:)

There is no 30-second rule, there is no 7-second rule, there is no 1-second rule. If you are creating a piece of music with intent to sell it, you can get absolutely screwed (see - Bittersweet Symphony). If you create a piece of music to pass around for free, you can still get a cease and desist and end up being legally obligated to "destroy all copies" (:lol: in the digital age, but whatever). You are at the mercy of whoever holds the rights if they can recognize the recording is theirs. Even if it's not financially worth it to sue you, some people are nutcases and will make a "moral crusade" out of it (like Michael Jackson above).

So the best way to sample and get away with it - mangle the sample to the point where it's unrecognizable, and be obscure as all hell.

Also, as to petit choux and his records... even though they might be novelty records from the 60s or whatever, you do not have a license to sample and "redistribute" the music. Chances are no one cares, but if someone owns the rights and are aware, they can be dicks about it.

Where it gets even shadier is in the realm of Sample CDs (in the 90s) and, nowadays, commercially available sample packs. Lil Nas X paid for a sample pack on some website where users are supposed to upload their original samples for other people to buy, and of course some dickbag sampled Nine Inch Nails and sold it. Lil Nas X made a hit song out of it, and it's only by the good grace and generosity of Trent Reznor that he didn't get absolutely hosed by it. I know I heard of sample CDs back in the day that had uncleared samples on them, and occasionally, someone would get hosed over for it.

It's unfair as poo poo and it feeds into the calcification of our culture, but the law sucks. Good luck to the EU on doing better with it!

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
On a slightly lighter subject, my friends and I have affectionately called this "The Boo Box" for its decade and a half of service carrying around Magic cards.

Now it holds something a bit different.

Meet "The Boop Box." :allears:

Also good god do I have a proper appreciation for Z-rails now. Dealing with all those sliding nuts is a nightmare. Never again.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Kraven Moorhed posted:

On a slightly lighter subject, my friends and I have affectionately called this "The Boo Box" for its decade and a half of service carrying around Magic cards.

Now it holds something a bit different.

Meet "The Boop Box." :allears:

Also good god do I have a proper appreciation for Z-rails now. Dealing with all those sliding nuts is a nightmare. Never again.

Very cool, all that stuff fit perfectly! What are the black modules on the left?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Status quo for like commercial sample projects (kanye albums, etc) - there's a whole industry of studios that re-produce unclearable samples for a fee, like you say you want this part of this song and they record you a royalty-free version that you then sample and then put that in your song to fool people. They're really good at it. So when you think about the "are you big enough for anyone to care" thing, keep in mind you gotta be big enough for them to figure out if you're real or not.

watho posted:

there was a gofundme or similar some years back where a bunch of people pitched in money for the drummer who originally played the amen break as a sign of gratitude

so, had always wondered how this could happen. Even if the recording rights had been sold and lost he'd still have a claim to the original performance, right?

Best understanding I've got is that its (hypothetical) melody and sheet music and stuff that gets copyrighted (or would if it were written down, in the age of improv and MIDI rolls), and so a non-tonal rhythmic performance w/ no pre-set composition can't be copyrighted, so drum breaks (and similar, presumably?) are good to go. The problem is when I type all that out it sounds head-rear end. Is that remotely correct?

Great points here. The "x second" rules afaict come from television show (etc) legal departments giving their best guess as to what would be settleable.

Other side of the sample pack thing is those aren't like freebie samples, you have to own a license to make compositions with them which you get when you buy the pack (or the magazine the pack came w/ in the case of those old-rear end rave discs I know several of us at least have plundered). As above, a hell of a thing to prove, this I think speaks more to the mindset of the law authors than any actual useful advice. Wasn't there a big sample-based VST that shipped without that? Sylenth, Serum? I think neither of those but similar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is completely moot because I’ll never be big enough to be worth going after nor do I want to be. So gently caress all y’all RIAA chodes I’m sampling Jet Daisuke all night long.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

watho posted:

I think a lot of this stuff makes more sense when the beginning and end of popular music is 16 & 32 bar ditties the boys on tin pan alley put out as sheet music

not that that's been relevant for over 100 years, but

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

sorry to triple post but it just hit me

lmfao @ the stones suing ANYONE for music ip reasons

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Imma build my sample library from old disney movies that would be public domain if the disney lobby didn't keep pushing copyright expirations back

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I sample a lot of my hihats and cymbals off of drum gear demos on youtube. they'll never catch me!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

field balm posted:

I sample a lot of my hihats and cymbals off of drum gear demos on youtube. they'll never catch me!

akshully....

https://www.reddit.com/r/burial/com...web2x&context=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MydWA8FCuk

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/243195/Burial-Rough-Sleeper-RetroSound-Oberheim-OB-Xa-Analog-Synthesizer-Demo-Pt.-1/

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I meant individual drum hits but lol. Pretty sure people have sourced the entirety of untrue now - I know the vocals in one song are a beyonce track (or something) where he sampled it from a cover on youtube to try and get around copyright. Nearly all of the vocals are from amateur singers on youtube, which in a way feels dirtier?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Anyway, I'm fooling around with different setups in a pod in an effort to stave off buying another case. This setup sounds pretty good for techno I think, but using o_c for the envelopes kinda sucks. I might try just using blades as an oscillator and taking out the foundation osc and o_c for maths next. I want to do more Berlin school kinda stuff at the moment so digging into complex oscillator stuff will probably work.

Here's a little 303ish thing, the squelch isn't really there but using the parallel filters gets some cool almost formanty sounds.
https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/somethingawful?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Here is my understanding of sampling issues, based mostly on a series of workshops I attended in the early 2000s, in America - so may not apply to countries that aren't fascist states run purely for the benefit of corporations - if you sample a commercial recording, you are at the mercy of whoever owns the rights. If they want to sue you, they will win. If you sample a snippet of movie dialogue or sound effect, the rights owners inovled can sue you, and if they do, they will win. There is a concept of "fair use," but it pretty much will only apply in very narrow cases, like if you presented an edited version of a recorded song in a classroom for educational purposes, or if you played a snippet during a review of the song/album.

In the 80s, there was a composer named John Oswald, who created the idea of "plunderphonics." He sampled famous pop songs and used tiny little snippets of them decontextualized to create new, transformative works. He did one based of Michael Jackson's "Bad," and he got sued, and as part of the settlement, all copies of his LP, Plunderphonic, were to be seized and destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIWLG-F0Ag

(Ironically, on Michael Jackson's next album, Dangerous, he used an uncleared 2-minutes of audio from the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra as an intro. :lol:)

There is no 30-second rule, there is no 7-second rule, there is no 1-second rule. If you are creating a piece of music with intent to sell it, you can get absolutely screwed (see - Bittersweet Symphony). If you create a piece of music to pass around for free, you can still get a cease and desist and end up being legally obligated to "destroy all copies" (:lol: in the digital age, but whatever). You are at the mercy of whoever holds the rights if they can recognize the recording is theirs. Even if it's not financially worth it to sue you, some people are nutcases and will make a "moral crusade" out of it (like Michael Jackson above).

So the best way to sample and get away with it - mangle the sample to the point where it's unrecognizable, and be obscure as all hell.

Also, as to petit choux and his records... even though they might be novelty records from the 60s or whatever, you do not have a license to sample and "redistribute" the music. Chances are no one cares, but if someone owns the rights and are aware, they can be dicks about it.

Where it gets even shadier is in the realm of Sample CDs (in the 90s) and, nowadays, commercially available sample packs. Lil Nas X paid for a sample pack on some website where users are supposed to upload their original samples for other people to buy, and of course some dickbag sampled Nine Inch Nails and sold it. Lil Nas X made a hit song out of it, and it's only by the good grace and generosity of Trent Reznor that he didn't get absolutely hosed by it. I know I heard of sample CDs back in the day that had uncleared samples on them, and occasionally, someone would get hosed over for it.

It's unfair as poo poo and it feeds into the calcification of our culture, but the law sucks. Good luck to the EU on doing better with it!

Oh hey, I interviewed John Oswald for the same magazine!

On a side note, one of the very big carve-outs for fair use is parody and I'm pretty sure that's how I've gotten away with a lot of the poo poo I do. I've also basically declared stuff as fair use when I post it if I'm worried about it (e.g., Son of Strelka or Hardcore Prophecy), basically announcing that that's my defense before anybody says anything. So far nobody's said poo poo to me about any of it so they either decided I had a case or didn't care. I know Dan Carlin saw Hardcore Prophecy, so if he was gonna sue me he would have done so already.

e: Oh I have gotten one copyright strike. As a joke I posted 4'33" of gramophone record crackle as Postmodern Jukebox Covers 4'33". It got taken off of Soundcloud temporarily based on me having "sampled" a disco song that also started out with a crackling record. They released the strike once I pointed out that that was dumb as poo poo.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 1, 2022

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It’s the myriad and number of automatic sentries that’ll be chilling. Everyone’s on platforms and is currently, or will shortly be, using a controlled device to interact with them. It means tape trading again, eventually.
Audio recordings are a special hell for copyright because of states’ rights fallback, old indie/novelty/int’l records especially.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

it’s been a while since i watched it so i’m not gonna say i stand for every argument made but Everything’s A Remix is what originally radicalized me when it comes to copyright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJPERZDfyWc

also the talk about the amen break reminded me of a fantastic proto-video*-essay art installation by Nate Harrison from 2004 that talks about the history but more importantly the culture of the amen break. it talks about the mid to late 90s sample cds that contained tons of uncleared samples. i’m sure most people here have seen it but it is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

he also made a less well known video installation on the tb-303 in 2005 which is pretty cool as well

*i know the original installation was just a record player and no video

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

So Math posted:

I was seriously thinking about it, but decided to wait until I hear more of it. You'll have to tell us how it goes. :)

Haven't had a lot of time to spend with it yet but been fun so far.

This video is has a good overview and explanation of how to use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZgcHnIneqw

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

field balm posted:

Very cool, all that stuff fit perfectly! What are the black modules on the left?

Thanks! Oh yeah, apologies for the lovely angle. You can get a better look at those in my post in the Gear Trades thread -- it's an Alan and two expanders.

Somewhat related, but just a shout-out in case anyone's looking to snag an OP-1: dropped the price on mine to $700 in advance of putting it on Reverb in 24 hours.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Of course right after I gave my volca modular to my buddy to make room I go and preorder a West Pest.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pretty upset, that DIY kit I ordered had a faulty LCD, which I installed anyway last night because like an idiot I assumed it was supposed to be that way for some stupid reason. Now I have to desolder, and I wrecked my last one that way after using some wires that weren't fit for soldering with, unrelated. The company is saying they'll rush me the replacement and hopefully the parts I'll have to destroy to get at it, I'm kinda bummed RN.

ED: I'm going to cut the components off and then desolder what's left of their legs. This solder sucker seems to want to spatter solder all over things, seems a little problematic.

And this is why you buy completed products instead of DIY kits, kids.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 1, 2022

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

MMD3 posted:

I guess the texture is more what I'm looking for honestly, the bigsky and other dedicated reverb pedals are probably overkill for my need but I'd like to have something to create texture and inspire, I've probably watched a dozen review videos by now and it seems pretty playable w/ midi sync. I wasn't being fully honest about first pedal. I have some bass pedals (EHX bass muff, envelope filter, etc) that I don't use much for synth playing and I also have a rack-mounted alesis midi-verb that works well but I don't enjoy playing with it much as it requires too much menu diving (like most old rack mounted effects).

So I have another reverb unit that I can use if I want something specific but I'd love something that encourages exploration/inspiration.

That Eventide H9 also looks like it's kind of opposite of what I want as far as interface/usability goes. I mostly just do soundscape/drone jams and haven't gotten to a point where I'm recording a lot yet, still mostly just having fun learning my way around my minibrute and will probably pick up a microfreak at some point for a wavetable synth.

I have a Microcosm and I loving love it.

It's not a BigSky in terms of reverb, like, at all, but it's just stunning pedal in terms of making absolutely incredible sounds out of other sounds. Running a guitar through it? Very neat. Have huge amounts of fun with it. Running a Typhon through it? Also incredible, really amazing drone capabilities. I love putting synths through it. The most fun I've had? holding up a lovely tape recorder to the output of my speakers and then running that through the Microcosm. Looping sequences and having all the gorgeous tape-fuckery come through in the micro samples. I love this pedal so loving much oh my god.

It is a wild, wild instrument and I hate to say "yes this extremely expensive pedal is amazing" but gently caress, it's amazing, especially for what it sounds like you enjoy doing.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU Dave Smith passed away :smith:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Aw no :smith:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Aw man nooooo :smith:

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
drat :smith:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
huge bummer

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
apparently he was only 72?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oh man, that sucks.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

:smith:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

MMD3 posted:

Does anybody have the Hologram Electronics Microcosm pedal? I've been looking at reverb pedals (mostly the Strymon BigSky) to add some color to my drumbrute and minibrute but now I'm thinking something like the Microcosm might be way more what I'm looking for, less deep in reverb but broader in having some fun delay and looping capabilities to do some soundscapey/ambient looped poo poo or play with glitching drum beats.

Curious to hear what people think. I'm generally just needing a first good effects pedal and it seems like reverb is #1 priority.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Do not get the Microcosm as a first effects pedal. It's more for texture than for delay, reverb or looping. Its microloops don't work in a super orderly manner and it won't quite sync up how you expect it to. Beautiful, but VERY unreliable, obtuse and finicky.

I was fortunate enough to be able to mess around with one for an hour or two. And later on, I did pick one up -- two reverb effects units later. It has some significant quirks that make it not ideal for a delay/reverb go-to. Even now, I find myself using it less than my Specular Tempus and Mimeophon. It isn't great for jamming or improv -- you have to work with its idiosyncracies and play to its strengths in a way that can get kinda frustrating. It takes time to dial things in, and that dialing in doesn't translate to its other algorithms.

So yeah, it's a great pedal for texture, IMO. In no way does it even approach a good investment for dedicated reverb/delay or a good entry point into effects, though. If you can go somewhere and try it, do it. But the YouTube videos aren't accurate to the experience of using one.

MMD3 posted:

I guess the texture is more what I'm looking for honestly, the bigsky and other dedicated reverb pedals are probably overkill for my need but I'd like to have something to create texture and inspire, I've probably watched a dozen review videos by now and it seems pretty playable w/ midi sync. I wasn't being fully honest about first pedal. I have some bass pedals (EHX bass muff, envelope filter, etc) that I don't use much for synth playing and I also have a rack-mounted alesis midi-verb that works well but I don't enjoy playing with it much as it requires too much menu diving (like most old rack mounted effects).

So I have another reverb unit that I can use if I want something specific but I'd love something that encourages exploration/inspiration.

That Eventide H9 also looks like it's kind of opposite of what I want as far as interface/usability goes. I mostly just do soundscape/drone jams and haven't gotten to a point where I'm recording a lot yet, still mostly just having fun learning my way around my minibrute and will probably pick up a microfreak at some point for a wavetable synth.

96 BELOW THE WAVE posted:

I have a Microcosm and I loving love it.

It's not a BigSky in terms of reverb, like, at all, but it's just stunning pedal in terms of making absolutely incredible sounds out of other sounds. Running a guitar through it? Very neat. Have huge amounts of fun with it. Running a Typhon through it? Also incredible, really amazing drone capabilities. I love putting synths through it. The most fun I've had? holding up a lovely tape recorder to the output of my speakers and then running that through the Microcosm. Looping sequences and having all the gorgeous tape-fuckery come through in the micro samples. I love this pedal so loving much oh my god.

It is a wild, wild instrument and I hate to say "yes this extremely expensive pedal is amazing" but gently caress, it's amazing, especially for what it sounds like you enjoy doing.
As an owner of all of the ones I think have been mentioned so far (Microcosm, Big Sky, H9 Max [recently, thanks to forums poster curried lamb of God], Specular Tempus), and some others that maybe haven't been yet (Space, Zoom MS-70CDR MultiStomp, Space Echo, Empress Reverb, ZOIA?, NightSky, Mercury7 [also thanks to forums poster Kilometers Davis]), I agree with the sentiment that Microcosm probably isn't what I'd suggest for "a reverb" for synths, but also it is awesome and I heart it.

I (think I) understand what you're looking for, and I get that you have a MidiVerb and another reverb unit (or is that just referring to the MidiVerb?), but for whatever reasons, when I read your posts, the first thought I had was "if this person is in Seattle, we should just meet up and they could try them all", and then my second thought was wanting to steer you to look at say GFI's Specular Tempus or maybe Meris's Mercury7 first, or maybe Space on discount (e.g., used), or maybe better yet Eventide Blackhole or BlueSky, though I get those latter ones are more dedicated pedals with less reverb options and controls.

For things Microcosm is cool & good at outside of reverby-ish things, I might also push you to check out Montreal Assembly Count to 5, not to dissuade you from Microcosm, but to give you some more options. And actually I really might push to suggest the MS-70CDR (no joke) too. Chaining the "pedals" within the MS-70CDR is pretty dope and gives you a lot of options. I really put Microcosm more in the same headspace as Count to 5 and blooper and MOOD

RIP Dave Smith

watho
Aug 2, 2013

sent an invoice for a paid remix gig, now to figure out what i wanna spend that money on. as much as i’d love to put it towards a syntakt another drum machine is by no means my top priority. im leaning towards an erica synths db-01 because of how good it is at making reese basses on top of the other monosynth stuff. a microfreak is very tempting as well tho…

of course the most responsible choice would be to upgrade my processor and motherboard but that’s boooring. snore.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

minidracula posted:

As an owner of all of the ones I think have been mentioned so far (Microcosm, Big Sky, H9 Max [recently, thanks to forums poster curried lamb of God], Specular Tempus), and some others that maybe haven't been yet (Space, Zoom MS-70CDR MultiStomp, Space Echo, Empress Reverb, ZOIA?, NightSky, Mercury7 [also thanks to forums poster Kilometers Davis]), I agree with the sentiment that Microcosm probably isn't what I'd suggest for "a reverb" for synths, but also it is awesome and I heart it.

I (think I) understand what you're looking for, and I get that you have a MidiVerb and another reverb unit (or is that just referring to the MidiVerb?), but for whatever reasons, when I read your posts, the first thought I had was "if this person is in Seattle, we should just meet up and they could try them all", and then my second thought was wanting to steer you to look at say GFI's Specular Tempus or maybe Meris's Mercury7 first, or maybe Space on discount (e.g., used), or maybe better yet Eventide Blackhole or BlueSky, though I get those latter ones are more dedicated pedals with less reverb options and controls.

For things Microcosm is cool & good at outside of reverby-ish things, I might also push you to check out Montreal Assembly Count to 5, not to dissuade you from Microcosm, but to give you some more options. And actually I really might push to suggest the MS-70CDR (no joke) too. Chaining the "pedals" within the MS-70CDR is pretty dope and gives you a lot of options. I really put Microcosm more in the same headspace as Count to 5 and blooper and MOOD

RIP Dave Smith

For a first effect for synths, my recommendation would be a FX aid from Happy Nerding. Especially now that he launched a pro version with a screen to show the effects, and 200 effects stored.

Not only it's probably the best FX module in eurorack as of today (it emulates very well TONS of classic guitar pedals; Blackhole, Bigsky, Ventris, Empress Ghost, Shallow Water, Lofi Junky, etc, ...), it also double as an awesome utility module like a disting for tons of other duties: enveloppes, noise, drums, filters, etc... Also it's super clean as long as you keep your input signal within specs range.

Now I know it's eurorack and OP asked about pedals, but they also already have a minibrute meaning it's just one step away from a rackbrute and they can use the patchbay to send CV to their FX aid if they want to sync a delay, use LFOs, etc.

You can see the full list of effects currently available here: https://fxaid.app/

If I started today it would definitely be my first effect for synths. Actually I'd probably get 2 or 3

It's probably time to upgrade and move to euro :getin:

e: wait I just realized the first minibrute doesn't have a patchbay, unlike the micro or mini V2. Even then, I still think the FX aid pro would be the best choice.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

VoodooXT posted:

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU Dave Smith passed away :smith:

oh no. RIP dude :(

the Pro One might be my favourite monosynth

1000 Sweaty Rikers fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 2, 2022