Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

World No Tobacco Day by Han Yanpeng

Le Monde

by Urbs from France
Football fans: Return to Liverpool
"So the match?"
"France lost."

by Mate from Argentina
A French journalist was killed in Ukraine.

Charlie Hebdo

Hospitals: Emergency Rooms at capacity
"Obviously, a problem with fake tickets."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Looking forward to the cartoons about John Dunham's investigation falling flat on its face.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Looking forward to the cartoons about John Dunham's investigation falling flat on its face.
The marching orders seem to be complaining that members of the jury included some DNC donors and “possibly” “up to three” donors to Hilary herself.

Sooooo maybe a Branco with the jury filled with angry donkeys yelling Not Guilty at a frowning Durham or something. Maybe the judge is Obama or at least has the stupid H symbol.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pants Donkey posted:

The marching orders seem to be complaining that members of the jury included some DNC donors and “possibly” “up to three” donors to Hilary herself.

Sooooo maybe a Branco with the jury filled with angry donkeys yelling Not Guilty at a frowning Durham or something. Maybe the judge is Obama or at least has the stupid H symbol.

I feel like we've already had this exact cartoon, though not from Branco

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pants Donkey posted:

I swear I already saw this exact comic but maybe it was from Al Goodwyn?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

5/26/2022

Close enough

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Juries are infallible quit whining unless they come back with the wrong verdict in which case ignore them

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

LEGISLATING UNDER THE INFLUENCE (LUI)

Nancy Pelosi’s husband, Paul, was arrested for driving drunk over the holiday weekend. It’s now known as driving under the influence (DUI).

Paul Pelosi is 82 years old. Why would he be driving around drunk well past midnight? Usually old folks have to give up excessive alcohol consumption due to health reasons. Besides, he’s incredibly rich—why didn’t he use a limousine and driver? I suspect he was up to no good.

I expect Pelosi’s highly-paid lawyers will get his charges dropped. He is, after all, worth well over $120 million dollars.

We know the rich enjoy a different kind of justice system. Paul Pelosi Jr is their ne’er do well son who may get prosecuted for fraud. I expect the Pelosi’s highly-paid lawyers will get the charges dropped. (Hunter Biden gets away with everything, too.) Democrats who hold leading positions in the swamp are immune from justice. They get protected by the FBI and corporate media.

Pelosi is also known for her power drinking. She has been busy drunkenly driving the country over a cliff. Both she and Sleepy Joe are drunk on power. Joe may not be a heavy drinker, but he may as well be judging from his speeches. I heard that Nancy even opened up a bar in the Capitol itself. Why not legislate while drunk? (LUI). Why not start new wars while under the influence? (WUI). Nancy is despicable and her days are numbered. Unless the Democrats steal the midterm elections, Nancy’s reign as Speaker of The House will expire in January. It’s too bad it can’t occur sooner.

The only way the Democrats will be able to hold onto power is if Dementia Joe declares martial law. I can’t see that happening without triggering another civil war. The Pelosi family has made a fortune from political office. Nancy enabled her husband to conduct insider trading. Pelosi is not ashamed of having leveraged her knowledge about legislation involving corporations. They used that insider knowledge to get fabulously rich. Anyone else would have been prosecuted, but Nancy has protected status since she’s in Congress.

We need term limits. Nancy Pelosi is way over the limit.

— BEN GARRISON

It's "now" known as DUI?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The insider trading thing is indeed 110% hosed and a functional system would not allow it.

Just funny to hear that from a libertarian.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's mad that he can't also do it without risking legal penalty, because he would be very smart at it, like with his silver and crypto.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grimdude posted:

Honestly what is the conservative solution to mass shootings if they're correct and it is a cultural problem/desensitization/violence culture?

How do you fix that? Ban violent media? Forced morality/religious indoctrination? Do they want to spend more on mental health care? Obviously no to the last one.

I never hear a feasible answer to how you rewire an entire society if that is truly the problem and not guns.
Well, I'm a crazy leftist and not a conservative, but I think the actual solution to the problem involves, for example, addressing systemic material inequality, unequal access to education, justice, and representation, and all the other reasons why you end up with a class of radically disengaged young men who (for whatever proximate cause) feel like the only way they have of having a public voice that matters or making a difference in their lives is something manifestly reprehensible like running into a crowded place and killing a bunch of people.

I mean I'm also in favor of blowing the gun lobby into the sun, but it is possible to simultaneously see the shootings themselves as symptoms of underlying problems and also something which deserves attention to/action upon them themselves even granting that they're "merely" a symptom rather than the root cause.

I mean I don't for a minute think any conservatives arguing against any further restrictions on firearm ownership are envisioning anything along these lines. I'm just responding to your question of "how do you fix that" if it's a cultural problem. If your response is that this is not a feasible solution to the problem I kinda agree in that we're unlikely to see those changes happen within the context of an election or legislative session; they're more likely to look like the fall of Rome in the West in the 4th Century, the Thirty Years' War in the 17th, or the Age of Revolution in the late 18th and early 19th Centuries.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The trouble with the whole "it's not about guns, it's mental illness" argument is, as others have pointed out, not entirely false. People in a good mental place don't shoot up schools or anywhere else, and there's always going to be a certain number of people who, if they can't get their hands on a gun, will just find another way to attempt to kill lots of people for whatever reason.

The problem is that the people who make that argument are all being completely disingenuous because they don't actually care about mental health and wouldn't support efforts to broaden available mental health care access in the US.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The trouble with the whole "it's not about guns, it's mental illness" argument is, as others have pointed out, not entirely false. People in a good mental place don't shoot up schools or anywhere else, and there's always going to be a certain number of people who, if they can't get their hands on a gun, will just find another way to attempt to kill lots of people for whatever reason.

The problem is that the people who make that argument are all being completely disingenuous because they don't actually care about mental health and wouldn't support efforts to broaden available mental health care access in the US.

Worse, it puts a stigma on any kind of 'mental illness,' like bro I just need to turn the lock three times I don't want to shoot anyone

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I heard Nancy Pelosi opened up a bar in the Capitol and they were making babies at the bar and the baby looked at me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Grimdude posted:

Honestly what is the conservative solution to mass shootings if they're correct and it is a cultural problem/desensitization/violence culture?

How do you fix that? Ban violent media? Forced morality/religious indoctrination? Do they want to spend more on mental health care? Obviously no to the last one.

I never hear a feasible answer to how you rewire an entire society if that is truly the problem and not guns.

the conservative solution is to do nothing about it and just let it keep happening in perpetuity, op

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
It was her husband that got the dui I thought.

Also as a former Montanan, dui was basically the state past time so Garrison can quit acting like he cares

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Dancing Man (Wikipedia).

Wilcox:

Rowe:

Warren Brown:

Power prices to surge up to 18.3 per cent as energy market turmoil flows through to households (ABC).

Spooner:

Cold snap brings snow and bitter weather to south-east Australia (Guardian). I guess the teal ducks are here to stay.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Grimdude posted:

Because having answers means you can be wrong, rather than just being snarky and sitting off to the side taking potshots and writing dumbass comics for a living.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Republicans know mental health reform means socializing health care, because people with mental health problems likely can’t afford therapy or…they wouldn’t have mental health problems? So at best you get calls to build asylums, because gently caress helping people when we can make a profit off Prison 2.0.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trapezium Dave posted:

Warren Brown:

oh yeah i bet they just hate raising prices

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

For reference, Colossians 1:16 says that God made everything and Isaiah 45:18 says that God made everything (and there are no other Gods). Those same sentiments are also in a hundred other places in the bible, so he could have just written "See: Bible" at the bottom, but that would rely on him or any of his audience having actually read the bible and that's obviously not going to happen

The evangelical obsession with extremely specific citations for stuff like "God is real" always puzzled me. You see it in Chick tracts and Christian billboards too.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Found an Allie that isn’t bitching about Illinois taxes, back from March

It’s unrealistic to try for a better future.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Neito posted:

Because having answers means you can be wrong, rather than just being snarky and sitting off to the side taking potshots and writing dumbass comics for a living.

This feels like an evergreen post for this thread.

Hell, maybe this forum.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

No, it’s the LGBT kids who are wrong.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Oh man, got some hot takes about that Pioneer Plaque sent out into space 50 years ago

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm beaten to the pioneer plaque quip, so...

I need help understanding this one.

Kellies nomination worst label

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

I need help understanding this one.

It's about the Uvalde PD. Took me a while to figure that out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

It's about the Uvalde PD. Took me a while to figure that out.

I'd considered and rejected it as an explanation because that's just such a lovely conceptual relationship, but I think you're right.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

"Months Late News". Come the gently caress on McFadden, what is that even supposed to mean?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

What?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Robert Ariail

Tim Campbell

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Gary Markstein

Joel Pett

Rob Rogers

Jen Sorensen

Gary Varvel

Tony Branco

quote:

Scavenger Stunt: Biden and the Democrats exploit the death of 19 children and 2 adults in the Uvalda shooting for political gain.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hell yeah.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Raised By Birds posted:

Scavenger Stunt: Biden and the Democrats exploit the death of 19 children and 2 adults in the Uvalda shooting for political gain.

:ironicat that blots out the very sun:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

"You say you don't want guns but then you also expect the police to use theirs." It's basically a "when he himself is made of carbon" argument only even more of a stretch and extremely poorly framed.

So: a Lester.

Other people are just politicising the issue, unlike me, currently at this very moment inexpertly drawing my ideological opponents as animals.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

And if there's one thing everyone associates with vultures circling over a pile of bodies, it's the vultures calling for changes that would prevent it from happening ever again. It's ghoulish, really.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

"Months Late News". Come the gently caress on McFadden, what is that even supposed to mean?

Probably about tell-all books from former Trump admin people, about all kinds of stuff that would've been any kind of meaningful if they'd "found their principles" a few years ago instead of waiting for a book deal to profit from it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

"Uvalda". He couldn't even get the name of the city right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SubG posted:

"You say you don't want guns but then you also expect the police to use theirs." It's basically a "when he himself is made of carbon" argument only even more of a stretch and extremely poorly framed.

I interpreted it as Lester saying "If only the teachers/parents had guns, it wouldn't have mattered if the police waited an hour to do anything, because the shooter would have been stopped before then" because of the headline on the gigantic newspaper.

Like if the guy was saying "Nobody needs a gun" then I'd have the same interpretation you do, but the sign says "You don't need a gun," implying that the strawman thinks the police having guns is perfectly fine. Same thing with the strawman saying "other than that," which to me indicates the person holding the enormous newspaper probably asked something like "What if only the police have guns and they choose to do nothing?"

Which of course ignores that the cops weren't doing nothing, they were actually arresting parents who were trying to go in to rescue their children, so it's unlikely those parents having guns would have helped in any way. At any rate, regardless of which interpretation is correct, Lester is an idiot who beats his wife, and has once again failed to even make a cartoon that portrays his side as unambiguously correct.

SubG posted:

So: a Lester.