Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That’s one way to use a roster spot for some good pr after some absolutely bad poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
This guy on CBS spends a lot of time analyzing the best fit for Baker Mayfield: Seattle or Carolina. He winds up concluding it's the Panthers.

Both teams have offensive lines that are in the process of being reworked and have similar strength of schedules in 2022 (The Seahawks have the 11th-hardest and Panthers have 12th-hardest schedules based on 2021 opponent win percentage).

The Seahawks have the edge at wide receiver as Robby Anderson isn't close to the level of either Lockett or Metcalf. However, two key areas tilt things in the Panthers' favor: Christian McCaffrey and the teams on the Panthers' schedule.

When healthy, the Panthers Swiss Army running back is arguably the best stress-reliever a quarterback could ask for since he is able to grind teams up on the ground in addition to being available for quick, check-down passes that magically become first downs. His 2,467 receiving yards after the catch from 2017-2019 were the most in the NFL. While Rashaad Penny played like one of the best running backs in football over the final five games of last season, there's no evidence to suggest that his sprint to the 2021 season finish line is something he will repeat or come close to when examining his career in its entirety.

As far as the schedule component, the NFC West had three playoff teams: the Super Bowl Champion Los Angeles Rams, NFC runner-up San Francisco 49ers and Kyler Murray's Arizona Cardinals. Instead of having to play those three teams a combined six times, Mayfield would face the rebuilding Falcons twice and the Saints twice, whose quarterback Jameis Winston is coming off a torn ACL. Yes, Tom Brady's Buccaneers are just as scary as those NFC West foes. If Mayfield and the Browns get their wish of a trade coming through to take the former top overall pick out of Cleveland, Carolina would provide the landing spot for Baker to have the best chance for success in his second act.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ake-some-noise/

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CocoaNuts posted:

This guy on CBS spends a lot of time analyzing the best fit for Baker Mayfield: Seattle or Carolina. He winds up concluding it's the Panthers.

Both teams have offensive lines that are in the process of being reworked and have similar strength of schedules in 2022 (The Seahawks have the 11th-hardest and Panthers have 12th-hardest schedules based on 2021 opponent win percentage).

The Seahawks have the edge at wide receiver as Robby Anderson isn't close to the level of either Lockett or Metcalf. However, two key areas tilt things in the Panthers' favor: Christian McCaffrey and the teams on the Panthers' schedule.

When healthy, the Panthers Swiss Army running back is arguably the best stress-reliever a quarterback could ask for since he is able to grind teams up on the ground in addition to being available for quick, check-down passes that magically become first downs. His 2,467 receiving yards after the catch from 2017-2019 were the most in the NFL. While Rashaad Penny played like one of the best running backs in football over the final five games of last season, there's no evidence to suggest that his sprint to the 2021 season finish line is something he will repeat or come close to when examining his career in its entirety.

As far as the schedule component, the NFC West had three playoff teams: the Super Bowl Champion Los Angeles Rams, NFC runner-up San Francisco 49ers and Kyler Murray's Arizona Cardinals. Instead of having to play those three teams a combined six times, Mayfield would face the rebuilding Falcons twice and the Saints twice, whose quarterback Jameis Winston is coming off a torn ACL. Yes, Tom Brady's Buccaneers are just as scary as those NFC West foes. If Mayfield and the Browns get their wish of a trade coming through to take the former top overall pick out of Cleveland, Carolina would provide the landing spot for Baker to have the best chance for success in his second act.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ake-some-noise/

what a dumb article Seattle has no need for Baker. Seahawks already they have a new Kid on the Lock: Drew Lock "the quarterbacK"

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Why would you have any faith in Christian McCaffrey starting and finishing a season healthy?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

syzpid posted:

Why would you have any faith in Christian McCaffrey starting and finishing a season healthy?

That was my first thought.

I'd be cool to get Baker, on the cheap, but I'm not sure why they'd go for it. Seattle is going to be a bad team this year. Say they add Baker and he plays very well. Costs them draft position AND means they end up with a tough decision in terms of his next contract. Commit to the suck and punt on the season.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Christian McCaffrey still exists?

Wait, I might be getting him confused with Christian Hackenberg.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

CocoaNuts posted:

Are we really going to count NFC playoff teams like making the playoffs in the NFC means something? It's basically been a participation trophy for the last decade+.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
SF and LA were legit good last year, ARI was for a a while and the last two Super Bowl champs were from the NFC with Green Bay nipping at everyone's heels for a good minute

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

SF and LA were legit good last year, ARI was for a a while and the last two Super Bowl champs were from the NFC with Green Bay nipping at everyone's heels for a good minute

Imagine thinking the Rams or Green Bay are good. Just imagine.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kpe virrpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISVQr6PVYEY

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 30, 2022

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

MrLogan posted:

That would be crazy. Like ref conspiracy crazy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MrLogan posted:

Yeah imagine thinking the team with the fifth highest pass yardage, 2nd highest passing TDs, 3rd highest yards per attempt and yards per reception, 3rd in 20+ yard plays and 1st in 40+ yard plays, 2nd lowest in TDs allowed, 3rd highest in INTs, fifth lowest opposing QB percentage and, oh right, which won the super bowl...

is good

I get it though. You'd rather the Raiders were in the NFC, which makes sense I guess

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Play posted:

Yeah imagine thinking the team with the fifth highest pass yardage, 2nd highest passing TDs, 3rd highest yards per attempt and yards per reception, 3rd in 20+ yard plays and 1st in 40+ yard plays, 2nd lowest in TDs allowed, 3rd highest in INTs, fifth lowest opposing QB percentage and, oh right, which won the super bowl...

is good

I get it though. You'd rather the Raiders were in the NFC, which makes sense I guess

Logan doesn't think the Raiders have legitimately lost a game since 1982.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Play posted:

is good

Even the Urban Meyer Jags could win if they had to play high school teams. Neither the Rams or the Packers have really had to have a tough schedule in forever because they play in the NFC.

a neat cape posted:

Logan doesn't think the Raiders have legitimately lost a game since 1982.

Ross, if I had known that pointing out Tangled is a movie about grooming would literally make you mad for years, I wouldn't have done it. I'm sorry. I hope Herbert has a long career going 7-10 for the Chargers. Can we be friends again?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Actually, all the teams are bad.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The AFC had a record of 39-40-1 against the NFC last year. The Raiders were 2-3 against the NFC. The inescapable conclusion is that, were they an NFC team, the Raiders would somehow have an even worse playoff record than their very real 0-2 in the last two decades. Difficult to believe but true

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

wandler20 posted:

This is probably the most truthful statement.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DeimosRising posted:

The AFC had a record of 39-40-1 against the NFC last year. The Raiders were 2-3 against the NFC. The inescapable conclusion is that, were they an NFC team, the Raiders would somehow have an even worse playoff record than their very real 0-2 in the last two decades. Difficult to believe but true

i like stats and i like analysis thank you for this post

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The team that finished first in one of the most difficult divisions in pro football and won the superbowl actually sucking and being terrible because SF, DAL, GB, TB and even PHI are "high school teams" sure is a take.

Or does every team just suck?

wandler20 posted:

Oh.

The NFC is the weaker conference for sure but some of this talk is just stup...

MrLogan posted:

Even the Urban Meyer Jags could win if they had to play high school teams.

LOL. Now you're just trolling.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

The team that finished first in one of the most difficult divisions in pro football and won the superbowl actually sucking and being terrible because SF, DAL, GB, TB and even PHI are "high school teams" sure is a take.

Being the fourth best division in football isn't "one of the most difficult."

I didn't say any of those teams were high school teams. Lol, that you included Dallas in the group. Dallas is as bad as the Bears, but the NFCE is somehow worse than the NFCN.

Nov 6, 2002

MrLogan, give us your NFL team power rankings for last year.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

MrLogan, give us your NFL team power rankings for last year.

1. Bills
2. Chiefs
3. Bengals
4. Raiders
5. Colts
6. Chargers
7. Rams
8. Bucs
9. Ravens
10. Niners
11. Titans
12. Browns
13. Packers
14. Eagles
15. Saints
16. Steelers
17. Broncos
18. Cards
19. Dolphins
20. Pats
21. Seahawks
22. Jets
23. Vikings
24. Cowboys
25. Lions
26. Bears
27. Texans
28. Commanders
29. Panthers
30. Falcons
31. Giants
32. Jags

Nov 6, 2002

Lotta of hilarity there, but my fav:

MrLogan posted:

22. Jets
23. Vikings
24. Cowboys

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kind of commendable he resisted the urge to put the Raiders at 1

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Lotta of hilarity there, but my fav:
The Jets are really hard to judge. They have some talent, but I think that's about where they are based on last year. You think they should be higher?

Do you think I have the Cowboys too high?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

No problem. The math was tough and so are the conclusions but they are also inarguable

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Raiders were 3-2 against the NFC (beat the Commanders, but the refs decided to say no that day).

The Giants game they played/coached pretty badly. Gruden was too busy thinkin' about dem slurs.

The Bears game was right after Ruggs and you can tell the team was affected pretty badly.

Besides the Raiders/Commanders game, the Browns also got screwed their game against the Packers, so that would have been another one for the AFC.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Here's a really good stats article for the NFL: https://theethicalskeptic.com/2021/10/18/nfl-bias-against-the-oakland-las-vegas-raiders/.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

You make some weird arguments, dude.

Are you the guy that always wins the Super Bowl or kicks online playing Madden and can't figure out why that's not reality while blaming it on referees?

Nov 6, 2002

I'm going to just be lazy and repost this from like over a year ago.

Perhaps. But I think much of it is biased recall. When Tom Brady gets touched on the helmet with a pinky and gets a call everyone loses their mind and sees it on social media for a week. When Ryan Tannehill has the same thing happen nobody cares.

Let's look at four teams from 2010-2020. Lets say two teams that fans say get all the calls, the Packers and Patriots and two teams that the league supposedly hates, the Jets and Raiders.

code:
				Green Bay	Patriots	Raiders		Jets	League Average
Average Penalties For		112		113		106		97	107
Average Penalties Against	101		99		127		105	107
So over a ten year period the Patriots and Packers averaged about 11.5 more calls in a season for them than the Jets and Raiders, not even a call per game. The difference is even smaller when comparing to league average. As for calls going against, the only significant outlier is the Raiders, who had a shitload of calls in 2010 and 2011 during the Tom Cable/Hue Jackson years.

Now consider who was coaching and QBing the Packers and Patriots vs the Jets and Oakland during this period of time. Do you think the very minor differences in penalties is due to biased officiating or the fact that two of those teams featured significantly better coaching staffs than the other?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Please stop taking Mr. Logan seriously. His gimmick is worse than Parmesan Basil's

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he's right. about the team rankings

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Please stop taking Mr. Logan seriously. His gimmick is worse than Parmesan Basil's

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

I'm going to just be lazy and repost this from like over a year ago.

Per your own data, the penalties against are more than one per game.

It's much worse if you look at the penalties per play:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Parmesan Basil is due back any day now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the second team getting fugged the most is the bengals. the most favored team is the steelers and the browns are third most favored behind the new england patriots

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MrLogan posted:

So, according to this, the Raiders play dirty; as is tradition

Nov 6, 2002

MrLogan posted:

I don't think it's a long running conspiracy. The Cable/Jackson two year period where they were an undisciplined disaster - and had a huge number of penalties above average - probably explains most of that. Run the same exercise starting in 2012.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Derek Carr will throw for a bunch of tds on his way to fourth place in the AFC west.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Carr is the best worst QB in a division ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

Carr is the best worst QB in a division ever

Who's the worst, best QB in a division? Matt Ryan? Dak?