Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

In real life on a commuter bike isn't the drivetrain not being perfectly clean going to make up for the efficiency loss with an igh anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug Smugly
Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Makes me feel better about wanting an internal hub.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If the internal hub can drop down to lowest gear automatically at red light it's still a great commute feature.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

stephenthinkpad posted:

If the internal hub can drop down to lowest gear automatically at red light it's still a great commute feature.

This is like the best feature of an IGH

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

I've been daily driving an IGH for years and I still downshift before I stop out of habit lol.

The best feature for me is the low maintenance. Other than adjusting the shifter cable, I've used mine for like 5 years year round with zero real maintenance. And that's with a motor pushing 500-1000W through it all the time.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i have a sturmey-archer S2C two-speed igh on my main bike and on account of not having a cable it has been 100% maintenance free for a decade

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

What is it about short blokes in German cars.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
BMW, Audi and to a lesser degree Mercedes drivers are definitely overrepresented in driving like assholes in my anecdotal view of things. Especially if German car is black. It's probably that people who like to drive egocentrically gravitate to those kind of cars.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Audi drivers are the worst, both inside and outside their vehicles. Four zeros on the grill one in the drivers seat.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The last douche to pass me doing 50+ in a 35 was in an Audi with smoked tail lamps so this checks out. Man threw a temper tantrum when I hit him with the slow down hand signal.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Today, my ride home had a detour, and I was able to sit in one of my favourite unofficial parks. Good spot to crack open a witbier under a flowering apple tree (not pictured).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The last douche to pass me doing 50+ in a 35 was in an Audi with smoked tail lamps so this checks out. Man threw a temper tantrum when I hit him with the slow down hand signal.

is that the middle finger?

green kingfisher
May 23, 2022
Any Los Angeles commuters here? How do you do it? I'm in awe of you. Courage I don't have... yet?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

there is no greater feeling than lanesplitting for the entire length of your commute. just a parking lot three lanes wide and a couple miles long

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

there is no greater feeling than lanesplitting for the entire length of your commute. just a parking lot three lanes wide and a couple miles long

Sunday morning is a nice time to commute. There’s no cars on the roads or people on the paths.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Arguably it feels even better to zoom past said parking lot on a parallel protected bike lane without a worry in the world. You don't have to give cars any though at all, your just riding your bike.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I was filtering up a row of cars waiting at temporary traffic lights and had to pull in to let on coming cars past, the last driver I overtook wound his window down and shouted " 5 feet, I'll give you 5 loving feet" ( the UK had lately published that figure as the minimum space for motorist to give cyclists.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

can anyone comment on fyxation single speed bikes? the two I saw were the pixel and the eastside.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

actionjackson posted:

can anyone comment on fyxation single speed bikes? the two I saw were the pixel and the eastside.

looks like pretty standard bike-startup stuff. the cheaper one doesn't say the alloy number of the steel, which is typical. they claim it's only 1lb heavier but i'm suspicious about that. the eastside says the alloy number, and that it's 23.5lb instead of 24.5. It also comes in five sizes instead of just three, so you may be able to get one closer to your ideal.

generally these kinds of companies make inexpensive bikes via simplicity rather than low-quality components, but sometimes their lowest-price ranges can be a little of both. but those two look the same other than the frame of the eastside being a step up. they're both cartridge bearings all around, which is meh but definitely cheaper to manufacture and simpler, though more expensive, to repack on your own. there's no brands listed on the components for either, which is typical.

If a local shop has one you can test ride and you like it, go hog wild. If you're just looking at their website, there's a ton of other companies making inexpensive steel singlespeeds. State Bicycle Co in Oregon, City Bicycle Co in Sacramento, Leader Bikes in ???, there's a lot of companies making similar bikes if you like the look and the price.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok thanks for the help! the retro ones from state are cool. I definitely want to look for something on craigslist first though. my main goal is something that is low maintenance and I can just put a basket on the back for groceries.

on the state delfin, it says the gear ratio is 44x16, and it has a flip-flop hub, which allows you to switch between fixed and single speed. my understanding is that single speed is like a normal geared bike, but there is only one gear, as for fixed.... is the gear ratio the same?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 30, 2022

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

actionjackson posted:

ok thanks for the help! the retro ones from state are cool. I definitely want to look for something on craigslist first though. my main goal is something that is low maintenance and I can just put a basket on the back for groceries.

on the state delfin, it says the gear ratio is 44x16, and it has a flip-flop hub, which allows you to switch between fixed and single speed. my understanding is that single speed is like a normal geared bike, but there is only one gear, as for fixed.... is the gear ratio the same?

I read it as both being 16t cogs, and yes: the singlespeed side is, for all intents and purposes like a normal geared bike that you just can't shift. The fixed side you can't coast.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Public Bikes is another one worth checking out. Modeled after dutch and french city bikes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok, thank you both for the help. the V1 bike is cool looking. I'm still paranoid about getting my bike stolen though haha

edit: taking the V1 bike as an example, I assume the gear ratio can be calculated? https://publicbikes.com/products/public-v1?variant=33299939721279

it says 40T chainring, so that means the larger... gear? has 40 teeth on it. and the freewheel has 18, so 40/18 = 2.22.. is this right?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 31, 2022

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

that's healthy, especially if you can't afford to replace the bike.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that's healthy, especially if you can't afford to replace the bike.

fortunately I could, but in general I have a habit of engaging in catastrophic thinking. thankfully CBT has helped, somewhat!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

actionjackson posted:

it says 40T chainring, so that means the larger... gear?
the chainring is the one taking your torque input, so it’s the drive gear. On geared bikes, the drive gear might be smaller than some cogs.
And technically they’re sprockets.

quote:

has 40 teeth on it. and the freewheel has 18, so 40/18 = 2.22.. is this right?

Yes, drive gear is the numerator.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks. my current bike which is more for recreation has this geometry - it's a size 55, but I realized I probably should have gotten a 57. what do I actually need to look at here to compare to a single speed (just to narrow done the ones I want to look at it in person). I'm seeing some cool older bikes from the 1970s, but I'm guessing it's hard to find specs for them online.

I know standover height is important, and I'm probably around 32" there. Is this value irrelevant if I'm looking at a mixte bike?

I believe effective top tube and reach are the other two that are really important, is this accurate? I was kind of interested in this one, but I have no way of knowing the gear ratio ahead of time, which would be nice

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-1971-peugeot-u08-single/7483615898.html

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oops forgot attachment - current bike, 57 is my ideal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

green kingfisher posted:

Any Los Angeles commuters here? How do you do it? I'm in awe of you. Courage I don't have... yet?

I commuted in LA from 2018 to early 2021, Studio City (Ventura Blvd), Hollywood, and finally Pacific Palisades later on. Brompton folder.

I'd come up on Amtrak/Metro from San Diego early in the week and stay at AirBnB's/Hotel during the week.

Ventura wasn't that bad. Once COVID hit I ended up driving to the PP gig and I'd used the bike (Brompton) during the week. At the tail end of that I was staying in Marina Del Rey and riding the path to the office (Sunset and PCH). That was sweet.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Stand over height is irrelevant.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bicievino posted:

Stand over height is irrelevant.
I've been meaning to ask you since I've seen how you're built: Do you stand on your toes when stopped on a bike with a level top tube or just track stand indefinitely?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

CopperHound posted:

track stand indefinitely

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bikes can lean and you can put a whole rear end foot down? It’s not complicated.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

I've been meaning to ask you since I've seen how you're built: Do you stand on your toes when stopped on a bike with a level top tube or just track stand indefinitely?

I just tilt the bike to the left when I put my left foot down, but also lots of track stands.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

actionjackson posted:

thanks. my current bike which is more for recreation has this geometry - it's a size 55, but I realized I probably should have gotten a 57.

I believe effective top tube and reach are the other two that are really important, is this accurate?
Can't remember -- did you end up getting fit on the 55? Did they give you a longer stem?
The two numbers you want to look at are stack and reach. The closer two bikes match on those, the more likely you'll be be able to use the same stem + bar setup on either bike and get the same feeling fit.

quote:

what do I actually need to look at here to compare to a single speed (just to narrow done the ones I want to look at it in person).
The bigger thing is to be careful of fit changes from drop bar vs flat bar. The Pixel you had linked is flat bar, so reach of the frame factors differently into total reach and overall fit.
Generally, you want longer frame reach on flat bars vs on drop bars.

quote:

I was kind of interested in this one, but I have no way of knowing the gear ratio ahead of time, which would be nice
You could ask them if they know, or to send you high res pics and count. Or maybe they'll be nice enough to count for you.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I did a fit on the 55. I got a new seat tube thing. I also last summer got a wider set of handlebars. not sure if the stem was changed or not. to be honest it's a blur because during the week where my bike was being worked on my dog died

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

bein able to slide the bike backwards and put both feet down standing over the top tube is nice sometimes, especially if you're stopped at a light on a hill. but it's never something that'd make or break a bike for me

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

OMGVBFLOL posted:

bein able to slide the bike backwards and put both feet down standing over the top tube is nice sometimes, especially if you're stopped at a light on a hill. but it's never something that'd make or break a bike for me

Unless you’re on a step through it will make the bike fit extremely poor when it matters, when you’re actually riding it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i mean, my bikes all fit fine :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i mean, my bikes all fit fine :shrug:

if you’re on the saddle and can touch both feet on the ground, by definition they do not