Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mailer posted:

This would be super cool, but I mean it's not really the case. Instead it's more like:

So everything is separated into big nancarbon shell and barge bait. On a Javelin I'm not even sure if it's worth cutting the nacelles and tank free from the central assembly or just barging the lot of it.

oh yeah, if going faster mostly comes down to abusing the barge exploit then forget it, i don't care that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I really dislike having to babysit these stupid massive nanocarbon shells for the bigger thrusters to make sure they don’t get stuck between the processor and furnace. I’ve figured out how to reliably get them in the processor but it involves pulling them mostly forward with a tether and then setting up a new one and ugh.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I dunno, feels pretty spot on for a job like this. "Metrics say get all this stuff down there by the end of the day. Well, it's there. Job done."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Aft nanocarbon is basically there to be like 'hey, remember jacks?"

The sucking of the furnace and processor is perfectly balanced to nearly irrevocably pin quasar shells in the middle. I'd almost feel better if it went into the furnace because at least then I don't need to worry about how many tethers it takes to unstick it.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Ciaphas posted:

i'd like to be faster at it. does anyone doing RACEs use controller or am i going to have to re-learn to KBM it

RACEers as far as a I know are KBM. Exploiting the barge isn't necessary anymore either. That time I posted earlier is with nothing dunked, everything has been cleared out.

Bussamove posted:

I really dislike having to babysit these stupid massive nanocarbon shells for the bigger thrusters to make sure they don’t get stuck between the processor and furnace. I’ve figured out how to reliably get them in the processor but it involves pulling them mostly forward with a tether and then setting up a new one and ugh.

https://youtu.be/S8Dg7ZBqBoY
https://youtu.be/NMrrJYSqJeI

These are a couple videos I put together to help folks with that particular issue. Putting the rear end-end first is fairly important to the process as it's heavier than the front and doing otherwise leads to the problem so many people have of the piece sticking to the processor wall or being pulled to the furnace.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

E:^^ I really do feel like a child playing with power tools sometimes, goddamn. I’ll practice my tether placement for that later.

The only things I really use jacks for is pulling an ion ring off without having to slice it into its individual segments. For quasar shells I just use the yard walls to haul them forward— even though I just complained about having to babysit them it’s more keeping a mental count in my head of when I need to disengage its tether and maneuver it into the processor. A single tether moves them slow enough that I can get a decent amount of work done elsewhere before I need to go back to it.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 31, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bussamove posted:

i usually get even the outermost halves to the processor in one tether without getting stuck or furnaced, now

looking at it from the rear i run a tether from the outer side of the back of the shell to just outside the the danger dash-lines round the processor

the whole thing then pivots on the front end, doing a half circle so the former front is now toward the back of the salvage bay, clearing the outside of the rest of the ship. by the time the tether expires the now-forward end's in the processor, and because it's on the far-side it starts turning the whole thing back inward, ending up in a straight dive into the processor's suction

(e)

Big Ink posted:

RACEers as far as a I know are KBM. Exploiting the barge isn't necessary anymore either. That time I posted earlier is with nothing dunked, everything has been cleared out.

ok i'm back to impressed again. i'll try to start re-learning KBM

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 31, 2022

boloney
May 29, 2021
I play with the timer off because there's no actual gameplay incentive to working quickly. The timer running out means you have to pay the equivalent of like %0.0000001 of your debt (which is a meaningless number anyways) for a second shift on the ship and have to navigate through the terrible HAB 'menu' to start playing again. If you got big Lynx Token bonuses for meeting deadlines that'd be a different story

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I can’t look at the vids right now, but I usually handle the quasars by tethering them to the jack above the rear of the bay, going off to cut some other things for a minute, then tethering them to the jack in front of the processor, going off to cut something else for a minute, then tethering the rear end into the processor. Haven’t had any issues with the furnace since I started doing that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I don't like doing barge dunking either and i've only really done it when i'm thinking "eh, i'd rather finish playing this game for tonight" and I just dunk the whole ship down so i can start fresh the next day.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Did my first post-launch ghost ship.

Verdict: still utter dicks. I love them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

bird food bathtub posted:

I dunno, feels pretty spot on for a job like this. "Metrics say get all this stuff down there by the end of the day. Well, it's there. Job done."

That's a part of it that really goes with the theme. Why yes, I *did* just dunk the power core and all the bits and pieces in the barge. Yes, I technically did salvage everything to the degree my metrics require. The fact that now someone on the barge crew has to do my job and pull all those valuable bits out of the giant aluminum shell is not my problem. Nothing in my job description says I have to shell that reactor.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i mean i guess i'm guilty as hell of it anyway because i refuse to strip the shell plates off class 2 reactors, they can't make me do it

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
The mounting plates at the top and base of the reactor 2 are worth 110k. So they're worth pulling free.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dunno-Lars posted:

Before I quit the game though, I started a big Javelin cargo, and it has a compartment with atmosphere in it, but no way to get in there. No door or airlock. It is the ship with the huge cargo room, and the compartment is surrounding the airlock towards the rear. Anyone else encountered this and what did you do? Already had to violently decompress both cockpits and I might be pushing my luck if I keep doing it.

There's no gentle way to decompress that donut around the airlock. However, as far as I can tell, they always have an aluminium bottom panel rather than nanocarbon, so you can get in that way.
1. Find the nanocarbon strut inside the aluminium panel, and aim to the side of it (this is from under the ship, looking up)

2. Splitsaw that aim point

3. Enjoy your decompressed crawlspace

Sorry for the corrupted garbage scanner screenshots but I'm pressed for time right now and the only Javelin option I had to start up to show you was a ghost ship

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I didn't mind the story at first but I just hit a stretch of mandatory transmissions and ohhh boy why can't we have these play while we strip ships instead of wandering around the hab, doing nothing whatsoever

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Revenge of the scrap

https://twitter.com/GarbageWitchy/status/1391988510798712833

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
This is why in the 24th century, we will still have physical comedy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I picked this game up when it first hit EA and loved it with high hopes for the future; probably sunk a solid 40-hrs or more into it at first release and shelved it to let it stew. Came back about 9 months ago to see what was changed (mostly just demo charges, a few different ships, power generators, and the shuttle you can repair) but overall wasn't much more contentified but still had fun getting to the end of what was there. Just finished it a few days ago at 1.0 now and well, it's good but a tiny bit disappointed it didn't go as far as it could have.

The narrative they added was good and well woven in (also steam reviews are hilariously pissed at being forced to unionize, almost every negative one is qq-ing about it) but also felt weirdly short in Act 3. Like it felt like there was a whole other Act that was supposed to be added in between the A3 ending and what we got. You kinda just go from okay they're taking over your bodies and they took away your ship to getting End Game mission and then a cutscene. Like there was a lot more they could have done and felt like there was supposed to be.

Big thing for me is a lot of my hopes from EA were dashed when I beat 1.0 because they never really expanded on ships, hazards, and other puzzle-y things. Like I was expecting Class 3 reactors, more hazards to carefully work around, better variety of ships or tools for yoinking. The upgrade tree was basically unchanged and just as bad as it was in 0.0, like there was never any reason to invest in fire, suit integrity, electrical, most range upgrades, etc and those had felt like placeholdders at the time but just managed to stay. At least they got rid of cutting grades from the Cutter for better or worse. Demo Charges really never mattered in this either other than oh wait we had a cutting grade system at one point, I guess we should bring that back and add a tool for like the one ship it even marginally matters., but they were cool to use whenever I remembered I should use them.

Aside from the upgrades, the limited ship, most hazards being meaningless, there's other nitpicks like the HAB also sucked with the directional arrows, there's zero reason the way it needed to be implemented the way it was. And the way there was forced audio in the hab instead of just playing it in the mission was annoying and didn't need to be done that way either. Some people don't like the timer but I think it kinda forces you to think about working just a tad bit more efficiently but it did add a lot of downtime with all the HAB nuisances that didn't need to be there instead of letting you get back out to it quickly.

I get the feeling BlackBird started it as a concept, had plans to go bigger with it, but then it kinda dragged out for too long and they got converted full-gear into Homeworld Remaster under contract with Gearbox and then remembered they were working on this and was like "oh yeah that game, yeah lets just put a ribbon on it and call it good"

Still a good game, just not as expanded or fully-realized from what there was in EA 0.0 to 1.0. Hopefully they get mod support and we can see what users could do with adding a ton of stuff, but also eh.

e: As an example of seeming like bigger plans there was a ton of notes 'n stuff like ghost ships and the AI nodes with Lynx-AI undercurrents that didn't go anywhere. you could chalk it up to just flavoring but seemed like a lot of those seeds planted early in EA just didn't go anywhere.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 1, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

How Ghost Ships work, as per the game's tutorial:

"You see those, um, nodes?"
"No. That isn't descriptive at all."
"Well the company doesn't want them."
"Ok but how do I..."
"And apparently if anything is attached it has its value stripped."

It would have been a lot faster to just say "Look, accept the cost and abandon this and never touch these things again."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mailer posted:

How Ghost Ships work, as per the game's tutorial:

"You see those, um, nodes?"
"No. That isn't descriptive at all."
"Well the company doesn't want them."
"Ok but how do I..."
"And apparently if anything is attached it has its value stripped."

It would have been a lot faster to just say "Look, accept the cost and abandon this and never touch these things again."

Actual ghost ship tutorial:

1) The nodes show up as red things on the scanners (all views I think, Lynx really doesn't want them. They're bad enough news that even though Lynx basically owns the majority of Sol there's only one world-building data drive about an idiot wanting to experiment with them. Otherwise the company actually pays you to destroy them.)

2) Disintegrate or Slice any nodes stuck onto crap that won't explode. If it's on something expensive like a reactor or thruster make sure you shoot perpindicular to the host item, so when the node disappears you're shooting off into space or harmless nanocarbon.

3) Throw the nodes on crap that will explode (fuel or cryo tanks) into the furnace to be purified.

4) You know you're done when the space ship stops having doors open/close and the sections pressurize/depressurize. Oh and the music will come back. Yeah that's right, the little shits can fiddle with the doors and atmo controllers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It does feel like AI nodes were another branch of the story or larger game mechanic that got pruned with the development cycle.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The nodes originally appeared in a Halloween-themed update, so it's more a seasonal gimmick that got fleshed out enough to become a core feature.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Xaris posted:

Still a good game, just not as expanded or fully-realized from what there was in EA 0.0 to 1.0. Hopefully they get mod support and we can see what users could do with adding a ton of stuff, but also eh.

I studiously ignored this game the entire time in EA and now that it's come out and I beat it, it definitely feels like it still has a lot of unrealized potential. I too was hoping for more puzzley elements directing electrical power/coolant/air around to safely extract systems rather than the fairly cut-and-dry methods in the game now.

Nth-ing the hope that mod support eithet gets added officially or hacked in, I would absolutely love to have a reason to keep playing because at its core just chopping up spaceships is so much loving fun.

edit: cut-and-grapple methods, surely

Peepers fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 1, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I love that the "victory" screen fee report still has the 7.50 surcharge.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

It seems a lot of people want bigger ships but gods honest I just did a heavy cargo Javelin and it took an eternity, the thing is huge. I do hate those donut rings that can't be easily removed, I've taken to just demoing them along the dorsal and ventral aspects so I can peel the thing apart.

I would have loved to see some more interesting things to take apart, though. Tier III reactor or something.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
They don’t even need to be bigger per se. the biggest annoyance with bigger is more HAB loop downtime with daily message, screens, etc. as it stands, no; bigger ones would be just more tedious because they wouldn’t be any more complex. But you can do bigger ships but with more tools to say yoink out all the chairs with a gravity bomb (ala Prey) or better abilities to vaporize panels. The game does let you choose so having the option for a huge cap ship would be cool but really just more intricate and sensitive ships would have been nice.

Moreso things like in that Class 2 reactors were there in 0.0 almost exactly as they are now and nothing much else was added in the intervening 2 years from Jun 2020 to 2022 besides power generators and the thrusters that require you to shut off before it explodes (which are cool). If anything I’d say hazards have become even less hazardous before bc tbe coolant tanks or fuel tanks used to explode if you looked at them funny which led to a lot of lols. Actually they reminds me most things feel like you can slam them around without destroying them whereas electronics would constantly break if you slammed them into a wall and start electrical arcing; so they really gimped that too

Like it seemed like the initial plans called for ever increasing valuables to show up but it really just stayed at C2 reactors. The whole radiation also feels super gimped and meaningless too. I never once had to deal with it in 1.0 but I guess I experienced it a few times during EA so they must have basically removed it

Like I said, it seems like once they were signed up to do Homeworld 3 by Gearbox about two years ago, it felt like the game hit the back burner hard and just kinda remembered it enough to sling it out. Which is fine, it’s good, but could have been a lot better

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

It seems a lot of people want bigger ships but gods honest I just did a heavy cargo Javelin and it took an eternity, the thing is huge. I do hate those donut rings that can't be easily removed, I've taken to just demoing them along the dorsal and ventral aspects so I can peel the thing apart.

I would have loved to see some more interesting things to take apart, though. Tier III reactor or something.

Yeah, I don't want bigger ships so much as I want the ships I do get to come apart in a way that doesn't frustrate me. I know the point is to add challenge but stuff like the Javelin doughnuts and quasar thrusters are just annoying.

The worst is the fuel pipes that get added to later Mackerels and run the length of the ship. I stop doing Mackies once those show up cause cutting the side panels loose becomes too much of a pain in the rear end.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I don't want bigger ships so much as I want the ships I do get to come apart in a way that doesn't frustrate me. I know the point is to add challenge but stuff like the Javelin doughnuts and quasar thrusters are just annoying.

The worst is the fuel pipes that get added to later Mackerels and run the length of the ship. I stop doing Mackies once those show up cause cutting the side panels loose becomes too much of a pain in the rear end.

Once you flush the pipes, all you have to do is stinger out the cut points and then you can peel the whole side loose with a single tether. It makes dealing with that particular Mackerel layout a breeze!

EDIT: and if you have a fully upgraded grapple beam and charged push, you can tap the charged push button to shove the donut ring off the interior ship. Don't go fully charging it up, just feather the button and it'll slip right off.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 1, 2022

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

Xaris posted:

They don’t even need to be bigger per se. the biggest annoyance with bigger is more HAB loop downtime with daily message, screens, etc. as it stands, no; bigger ones would be just more tedious because they wouldn’t be any more complex. But you can do bigger ships but with more tools to say yoink out all the chairs with a gravity bomb (ala Prey) or better abilities to vaporize panels. The game does let you choose so having the option for a huge cap ship would be cool but really just more intricate and sensitive ships would have been nice.

Moreso things like in that Class 2 reactors were there in 0.0 almost exactly as they are now and nothing much else was added in the intervening 2 years from Jun 2020 to 2022 besides power generators and the thrusters that require you to shut off before it explodes (which are cool). If anything I’d say hazards have become even less hazardous before bc tbe coolant tanks or fuel tanks used to explode if you looked at them funny which led to a lot of lols. Actually they reminds me most things feel like you can slam them around without destroying them whereas electronics would constantly break if you slammed them into a wall and start electrical arcing; so they really gimped that too

Like it seemed like the initial plans called for ever increasing valuables to show up but it really just stayed at C2 reactors. The whole radiation also feels super gimped and meaningless too. I never once had to deal with it in 1.0 but I guess I experienced it a few times during EA so they must have basically removed it

Like I said, it seems like once they were signed up to do Homeworld 3 by Gearbox about two years ago, it felt like the game hit the back burner hard and just kinda remembered it enough to sling it out. Which is fine, it’s good, but could have been a lot better

The most content was added in the last two years, how does that equate to being shelved and then rushed out last second? Two new ship types, new varieties of old ships, new hazards, the HAB, story, and optimizations. What standards are you working on where all of that is the equivalent of nothing?

Class 2 reactors were more complex but the requirements for freeing them were relaxed for the more casual player base. If you recall a key was needed to safely flush the thrusters, doing it manually had a good chance of exploding the thrusters and you with them. Objects were made tougher for the same reason, so many people complained it was too easy to break anything or not safe enough to do X. The game was initially meant to be a challenging puzzle but instead became more relaxed as that's what the majority player base wanted. When it comes down to it, if you're in the business of making money it would be bad practice not to adjust your product for a broader audience.

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 1, 2022

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

It would be pretty cool if those changes were the difficulty options and not the very underwhelming extra life limits.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I was a little surprised that Gecko's were it when it came to hazards.

poo poo, make it so when the railgun goes off it knocks things around on the ship or something if you leave a door open. Give me something

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

just to offer a contrary opinion, i love doing the quasar thrusters and wish for more stuff like them and the reactor meltdowns, where you'd better have a plan of action and be ready to hurry the hell up with it. i enjoy the rush, the dynamic music, and the wave of relief as the music dials back to the whooshing sound of the halves separating

plus having to throw oneself into fire* because of some rear end in a top hat of a ship architect making it impossible to disassemble safely is really on-point

* yes you can use coolant to freeze the pipes first; but i won't usually do that because the faster way's more fun :v:

(e) to be fair you really have like a million years before the fires reach the fuel tanks, so not like there's much real danger; i can see why that'd get dull for some

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I've never been able to get the coolant to burst where I actually want it to using the grapple beam. Swinging it into stuff it's suddenly indestructable, and yeeting it always bounces off the actual target and into something bad. Do you guys just laser it in place or something?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

assuming you mean the small pods, i just swing it into a wall & keep it grappled. it can be fiddly finding the right minimum distance for your turn speed to be enough to break it, though

(e) rather, that's what i do to make it leak; idk about bursting it outright, i've never managed that at all with the small pods

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

JerikTelorian posted:

I think the implication of 'bigger' is more complex work to extract stuff, not just more of the same busywork. The Geckos are pretty large but they're also pretty boring because they're just a shitload of heavy nanocarbon panels around a lot of open space. The Atlases were a definite step in the right direction, bugged-out quasar engines notwithstanding, but if you're looking for new and more challenging problems to solve rather than practicing the same cargo Javelin until you can fully strip it inside 15 minutes the game runs out long before it really ought to.

another poster was working on a mod that let you add custom ships, which at least partially worked back in EA, if a functional version of that ever came out it'd instantly solve nearly every problem with the game

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 2, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I think the implication of 'bigger' is more complex work to extract stuff, not just more of the same busywork.

Pretty much this. There's a lot of enjoyment (in the Shipbreaker sense) in safely going through the salvaging process, but the low degree of variability runs dry a couple of million in. Unsure if I'll actually finish it, since I've torn up effectively the same ship dozens of times already and the process never changes. I forget the other scanner modes exist because I don't need to find fuses or trace electrical/fuel conduit or anything like that - just do the thing to remove the thing and it's always the same thing in the same place. Do X/Y/Z, now do it faster, now take shortcuts to maximize cash/time... and that's it.

I'm not really complaining about the game, since it's a very solid 1.0 entry, but there's so much that could be expanded on that'd make it more interesting without even touching the core mechanics.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Using the quasars as an example, it initially feels like a cool mechanic but not 2-4 times every ship cool. And because it's such a specific process there isn't ever any variance. No way to cut something different or try something from a different angle. Using coolant to cut off the fire is the closest you get. When you stick that in a game that emphasizes the fun of emergent gameplay, it just looks like a bad addition.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 2, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Higher hazard rating ones definitely throw a lot more obstacles in the way between you and the ejector switch, add the coolant pods to the back etc. but still it's pretty samey yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

speaking of wrenches gumming up the works i just started working on my first ai vessel

"this doesn't seem so bad, a misfiring airlock aside. time to get to the react-"

"welp"