Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
I became an American citizen today after 12 years.

I mean I'm really Canadian/American but still - not having to worry about green cards, lawyers, or anything is pretty amazing. :911: :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I got together with my cousins and sister and parents for Easter, and my dad cooked a loving awesome ham and turkey. Also there was potato salad, greek salad, corn, mashed potatoes, yams, bread, just so much food.
I haven't seen my cousins in YEARS, ever since they had kids.
So I finally met their children, and my niece came over as well.
They did an Easter egg hunt in my parents' back yard, which my mom set up with initials on each of the eggs for all of the girls, and they paid attention to it, I was quite impressed.
After knowing each other for only like ten or fifteen minutes minutes, my niece and their middle kid ran upstairs with buckets of chococlate, which their oldest dutifully told us about. Fuckin snitch, lol.
Knowing there is a murphy-bed in the wall, with little knobs that look like it can be opened as a closet, I went upstairs to just fold it down.
The door was closed, and when I knocked, my niece yelled "NOTHING!" and her cousin giggled.
I opened up the door, and they both smiled and me with guilty chocolate-covered faces, the little brats.
I brought down the bed, so no kid would be crushed on Easter because that would suck, and they IMMEDIATLY began jumping on it.
Their smallest child, her name is July, woke up from a nap just in time to have some carrot cake with cream cheese icing that my mom made.
After we ate that, we went outside where there was a swing set and trampoline set up.
Holy heck, little girls SCREAM when they're playing. I mean, I knew kids were loud, but Jesus Christ.
It was really cool seeing my cousins after all this time. My biological one, Joanne, is so smart, and her husband Andy who married into the family is one of my favourite people ever. And to finally meet their kids just made it a really good Easter.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Got some Hall and Oates playing while I do some gardening

I am officially old and it whips rear end

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My sister, who I hadn’t seen in 2 years because of COVID travel restrictions and similar, has been staying with us for the past month. It’s been so nice to have her here and give hugs and make fun of her.

My ex-wife joined us (me, my sister, my daughter, my fiancée, and her daughter) for Easter dinner last night and we had a lovely time. When I was walking her home, she said that my fiancée and I had created a lovely life together and that she was happy for us. I have a lot of respect (and fondness) for my ex-wife, so that really meant a lot to me.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

We adopted a dog about 5 years ago, and the way it happened was that after contacting the rescue group, the person fostering him came around to our house to see how we all got on together. He was extremely traumatized and withdrawn; his fosterer said she'd never seen a dog so withdrawn, and that it would take a lot of work to help him recover.

He's doing really well now, and I have been hoping for all these years to run into her again and let her know how he's doing.

It finally happened. :unsmith:

I just saw her in the local supermarket, and after dithering a bit, I went up and asked if she fostered dogs, and she said no, but she used to. So I told her how we'd gotten our boy Henry from her all those years ago, showed her some pictures of him looking all happy and chill. She didn't remember him or us at first, but when I said his kennel name had been Barry, she her face lit up and she remembered that we had a parrot :3:.

It was wonderful to be able to thank her for how she'd helped him, and to show her that he was living a safe, happy life surrounded by people who love him.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

That is a good dog I believe

In fact I'm certain

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

He's a precious darling angel boy, and yes, I love him very much :kimchi:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I got to sleep with my wife this morning. Like not a sex euphemism, just she's a flight attendant and I'm a plane mechanic so we work opposite schedules a lot. Got to take a nap together. It was really great. She manages to do all kinds of baby ape clings on me without making me too hot, or making my limbs numb. She is awesome :3

Pookah posted:

We adopted a dog about 5 years ago, and the way it happened was that after contacting the rescue group, the person fostering him came around to our house to see how we all got on together. He was extremely traumatized and withdrawn; his fosterer said she'd never seen a dog so withdrawn, and that it would take a lot of work to help him recover.

He's doing really well now, and I have been hoping for all these years to run into her again and let her know how he's doing.

It finally happened. :unsmith:

I just saw her in the local supermarket, and after dithering a bit, I went up and asked if she fostered dogs, and she said no, but she used to. So I told her how we'd gotten our boy Henry from her all those years ago, showed her some pictures of him looking all happy and chill. She didn't remember him or us at first, but when I said his kennel name had been Barry, she her face lit up and she remembered that we had a parrot :3:.

It was wonderful to be able to thank her for how she'd helped him, and to show her that he was living a safe, happy life surrounded by people who love him.

That fella is an absolute unit and I'm glad he is so loved.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I got to sleep with my wife this morning. Like not a sex euphemism, just she's a flight attendant and I'm a plane mechanic so we work opposite schedules a lot. Got to take a nap together. It was really great. She manages to do all kinds of baby ape clings on me without making me too hot, or making my limbs numb. She is awesome :3

Oh that's delightful to hear.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That fella is an absolute unit and I'm glad he is so loved.

This is very sweet and lovely. It sucks you have to work opposite schedules, but its lovely you get to snooze together sometimes. I just wish you got to snooze together all the time :unsmith:

Pookah has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Apr 30, 2022

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Spent the last 6 years living without any hiking or mountains anywhere near me. Moved to the Appalachians in January and was so out of shape I had a hard time hiking more than a couple miles over relatively flat terrain. Now it's the end of April and I've lost 10 lbs and just finished a 7.4 mile hike with 1700 ft of elevation gain at the Upper and Lower Cascade Falls and Barney's Wall without having to stop and carrying a heavy pack. It was also raining the whole way so I got to hike in the clouds.

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 01:25 on May 1, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

man that looks beautiful

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

man that looks beautiful

There's always a right place for each person and always a reason to live in any given place, but Appalachia is the place for me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thank you for sharing your story and those lovely photos.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is really minor in the grand scheme of things but I had a hell of a bad week last week, culminating in not getting basically my dream job and not being able to participate in a big sports thing for my amateur league that was in hiatus for two years from the pandemic due to personal injury. Anyway, by Friday I was in a really lousy place.

My wife surprised me with an appointment at a fancy hair salon that specializes in curly hair today, which was awesome because 1) I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than fifteen bucks for a (mediocre) haircut before and 2) until a couple years ago I genuinely didn’t realize how curly and needy my hair was, so I had been just destroying it trying to brush it out and keep it straight, and had never really had a pro look at it. So I got some major pampering and some great advice and my hair looks loving *stellar* and no matter how minor and dumb and personal it seems, it makes me feel more generally okay with life.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nice! Last time I tried to go to a salon for a nice hair experience they made me look like a prom queen so I'm glad your experience was better

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
So a tiny bit of backstory. My 9 year old kid loves swimming. And was taking up the local council on their initiative on swimming lessons/grades. She powered through the first 5 in a couple of years without *much* issue…

Until stage 6, which she found terribly difficult. The main crux of the issue was the order in which a breaststroke is completed. Pull, breathe, kick, stretch…she was doing two things together and not in separate rhythmical cycles. It was stymying her from progressing and she got really down about it. Thankfully, after 18 months at the same stage she passed it at Christmas last year. But her confidence was shot, to the point where she didn’t want to “go up”…

Safe to say she’s some sort of concentration monster, as she’s passed her stage 7 in under one lesson rotation. I am in awe of the hard work she put in over the past few weeks.

She’s over the moon and enjoying a celebratory tea; meanwhile I’m sitting here dumbfounded at how good a swimmer she is. My sense of pride is immeasurable. Scared to get into the pool with her now, lest she batter me senseless at the 50m crawl.

My kid loving rocks.

TL:DR My wife may have hosed a dolphin.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Red is Dead posted:

My kid loving rocks.

Hell yeah she does, that's amazing to hear!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Actually yesterday bc I collapsed from exhaustion shortly after they left, but a small group of my friends came over and I cooked a big dinner and they all said it was really good 😊 nothing makes me prouder I love my friends and I want to feed them good food. I suspect this is the meaning of life

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
A coworker told me I have a 'beautiful phone voice' when he overheard me talking to a customer. I've never really thought of any part of myself as beautiful, so that was really amazing to hear. Plus I was able to get my mom last-minute flowers from a local place delivered to us that I think she'll love. At least I hope so.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On Thursday I got a callback about a job I'd forgotten about that would pay me way more than my current salary if it pans out, I'm just waiting for a response to confirm a proper interview timeslot but the hiring manager has covid. It's nice that it wasn't a total deadend.

Yesterday at work someone asked a question about something I knew about (just a process query about how brand partners deal with missing items), and I answered it rapidly and in so much accurate detail that the other colleagues at the table were just stunned into silence, which felt pretty good. With my supervisor just being like "Dude, be this tired ALL the time, please..."

Today, I have booked a ticket for next weekend to go to an alice in wonderland themed Cocktail bar. I've never done anything like that and it sounds like a fun time, so I'm looking forward to it. It's been generally a good few days after last week sucked (because I was working Eid weekend and it was absolutely exhaustingly busy, so many people chasing presents that failed to arrive)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I got a new mattress and oh my god, it is so comfy, it's like resting on a friendly cloud.
I don't want to ever leave the bed again.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
This marks one week since I got my professor/friend's marine aquarium, and so far everyone is alive and eating still.

I am debating on a new tattoo but on the wrist seems way too hard to keep clean to heal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wrote a message to a team that I felt was off-course, guiding them to where I thought they needed to be and telling them my reasoning, and one of my manager’s peers described it as “a great leadership moment” and shared it with his teams. I’ve only been in this job for 2 months and I’ve been thrown into some tense situations, so it’s nice to hear that I’m doing some good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been flying for about 12 years and I just flew an airplane nonstop over the Atlantic for the first time.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Rolo posted:

I’ve been flying for about 12 years and I just flew an airplane nonstop over the Atlantic for the first time.

Hell yeah! Do the Lindy to celebrate. (The dance, not the whole Nazi thing.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got a ticket for an Alice in Wonderland themed cocktail evening/performance later on, so that's exciting. It's got rose painting, cakes with "eat me" written on them and you get to make a couple of bespoke cocktails based off of the book.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I was able to order some combo packs of veggie jerky from FakeMeats, and I'm super excited to try different types I don't have access to here in my city otherwise, and learn what my favorites are.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I got a trip planned! Convention tickets, hotel, flights, even got my time off set up. I splurged on first-class upgrades, I'm so excited!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found the source of my pantry moth problem!

Unfortunately, it was the 50 pound bag of rice I recently bought. But getting the moths out and freezing the rest of it for a few days should sort the little bastards out, and I've got some good pantry moth pheromone traps on the way to catch the stragglers.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Looks like we not only get a TV show, but an entire Roku network. Chimera Network has my art. Potentially, 60 million people are about to see my artwork and see my friends play their music. Holy poo poo guys. I'm working my rear end off six days a week at my day job and it's a bit stressful doing the network stuff, but looks like the hard work is going to be absolutely worth it.

An anime company just animated a network call sign thingy with the logo I made. And I guess I'm also considered a producer now.

I honestly can't wrap my brain around it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Scathach posted:

Looks like we not only get a TV show, but an entire Roku network. Chimera Network has my art. Potentially, 60 million people are about to see my artwork and see my friends play their music. Holy poo poo guys. I'm working my rear end off six days a week at my day job and it's a bit stressful doing the network stuff, but looks like the hard work is going to be absolutely worth it.

An anime company just animated a network call sign thingy with the logo I made. And I guess I'm also considered a producer now.

That's cool as hell

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

This is seriously, seriously awesome!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Cowslips Warren posted:

This marks one week since I got my professor/friend's marine aquarium, and so far everyone is alive and eating still.

Me like 7 years ago! Mine was freshwater, tho. I still have it, also some more like it, this hobby has a way to... keep spamming tanks, somehow, dunno how. Congrats!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think I overfed the tank yesterday so no food today, but the serpent star looks like an extra from Alien, and he always wants food.

My friend's movie podcast (I am a guest) hit a high with our last review about Johnny Depp, so he's excited as hell.

My ball python is incubating eggs and so far, so good.

Our tortoise incubators are about empty but one of the last clutches is starting to hatch.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Scathach posted:

Please tell me where to see this, this is like my dream after working in TV for 15 years - to actually work on something that's a labor of love with close friends/collaborators. You're living it so I wanna see the result for vicarious reasons!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Bought a brand new 2022 Toyota Corolla.

Always had very ugly looking cars as well as beaters. So owning this new car was five years in the making and its an absolute breath of fresh air. AC/ Heating? Smartphone sync with Android Auto? Other features that I just do not know because im not a car person and this is my first new vehicle purchase?

Thing is an absolute dream to drive in. And for the first time in my life I feel like traveling places on my days off. I really love this car.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sucks that you backed your new car into a flesh coloured pole though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

In 2019 my laptop at the time completely crashed together, and I spent a long while arguing with the company that sold it before I got it escalated to the state's customer-complaint/customer-protection thing here.
(Said company wanted to charge 1300$ to repair a pc that failed under warranty.)

Today I got a letter saying the retailer is a scumbag and they need to pay me back like 2/3 the price of the laptop when it was new and costs associated with inspecting it and etc.
So that's very nice, suck poo poo scummo! :toot: A shame it took so long, but happy with the result.
(The seller can't argue against this either, as it's very much at the final level it can be at.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Today I started a new job.

I was laid off from my community college technician career after 20 years last October.

Seven months of depression and job searching later, I have found myself now at a University with a Media Services department that is in need of my skills.

Things are looking up and I am grateful!