Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lord_Magmar posted:

If you talk to Enia after finding the thorns she says stuff about the Rune of Destined Death but that's literally the only place it directly comes up in relation to the main quest of the game.

doesn't she collapse as soon as you burn the tree? there's no mention of the rune of destined death in farum azula right? i don't think you even hear "farum azula" before you see it as a zone-in title card.

Operant posted:

This game definitely could have used slightly more boss/enemy variety and I think it would have been perfect. The re-use though is generally smart and they did a loving killer job with what they had.

There's definitely spaces where (thematically) new enemies would fit. I don't think there's any unique foes post-capital except the beastmen shamans in faram azula. The capital sewers, for example, or even the Haligtree seem like places where there'd in any other game be a whole set of new dudes. The mountaintops of the giants especially feels pretty brutal since it has a lot of re-use. Caelid, Limgrave, and Liurna have unique enemy rosters that get introduced really well and stand out. Even Leyndell has the weird worm monsters and Dominula.

It's one of the huge selling points of souls games for me that each 'zone' has its own character through what you fight there. Clearly they had to stretch production and it would be cool to see a version of this game with the roster more fleshed out. Super impressed in the end that the whole thing felt finished despite that though.

fromsoft commit pretty hard to lore justification, sometimes to the detriment of gameplay. like 0 stakes of marika in farum azula even when they'd be pretty handy on placidusax.

azula has skeletons for the death rune, dragons/beastmen/banished knights of the state of the world before the golden order. and wormface guys, which we'll probably need a 20 minute lore video to explain. haligtree has all the outcasts of the golden order. and the tooters who defected? mountains have the remnants of the giants fighting wildlife and giant fingercreepers.

there are some unique enemies too: mounted albinauric archers and the weird ice barbarian guys that should have probably been used more. you also get a bunch of guys you haven't fought a lot of like the black knife assassins, fire monk/prelates. and depending on how much of optional caelid you did, the mutated birds/dogs.

idk, i feel like endgame enemy variety wasn't too bad, the overworld design was where i felt the quality dropped a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lite_sleepr posted:

Rennala's Full Moon really sucks in spite of the spectacle of casting it.

i cast the ranni version as the opener for every boss fight. a -magic defence debuff seems good for someone with 70 int.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
triple post for this dumb meme

https://i.imgur.com/53zXpxe.mp4

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I know there's *A* reference to the path of fire leading to destined death or something. Can't remember where but I know I definitely heard about it before I set the tree on fire. Still wish getting to FA was a little more involved though, not entirely happy with just...waking up there.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Enia mentions Destined Death if you talk to her after encountering the thorns but before doing the forge. Never mentions CFA.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Muscle Tracer posted:

Enia mentions Destined Death if you talk to her after encountering the thorns but before doing the forge. Never mentions CFA.

Yeah it's supposed to be a fun surprise.

Like "wtf is this, wtf am I doing here, wtf is going on"

Then by the end you realize you're in the banished old world where the rune of death was hidden and it all makes sense.

And it's also a break in the huge format exploration areas by being a really tight enclosed dungeon.

10/10 perfect level.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's just a legacy dungeon without an overworld attached. i actually wanted more outdoors exploration after the capital. mountains and snowfield were pretty sparse and linear compared to everything before.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i'm dicking around trying to figure out a build before moving to NG+2 and i discovered maybe the best R2 in the game: iron cleaver

https://i.imgur.com/JdfNMJ8.mp4

also combos with lightning slash and storm stomp:

https://i.imgur.com/DwM5yVW.mp4

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh yeah the R2 of the Iron/Celebrant Cleaver is excellent. Also roll catches like nothing else since you can release R2 at any time and the blade will drop super quick.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Just replayed ds1 and am working on a ds3 run now. I agree that the bosses in ds1 are slow and mostly easy compared to elden ring, but I think I've wiped as many times to Nameless King and Twin Princes as I did on any elden ring boss except Melania and maybe pre-nerf Radahn.

Disclaimer: I'm extremely bad.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 1, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Both of those are hard fights. Nameless king is just straight up tough, twin princes had some weird timings that took me forever to learn.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Flytrap posted:

Can something be debuffed by a Moon and the All Knowing Scepter at the same time? 19% debuff seems like it'd be pretty good for quick kills.

Yes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I beat malenia in less than 10 tries, I flat out gave up on Twin Princes and summoned help and had the help do 100% of the fight.

Im not looking to refighting them in this playthrough of DS3.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Flytrap posted:

I know there's *A* reference to the path of fire leading to destined death or something. Can't remember where but I know I definitely heard about it before I set the tree on fire. Still wish getting to FA was a little more involved though, not entirely happy with just...waking up there.

This is Melina’s line immediately before she burns the tree—it’s her explanation of why she’s sending you to go beat up her mom’s dog. The same line could be found earlier, without explanation, if you picked up her dagger at the start of the Forbidden Lands.

Farum Azula is not the first time Melina has teleported you to somewhere apparently outside of normal time, to a place in which she never appears, with little preamble. She did so way back at the start, when she sent you to the Table of Lost Grace.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

lite_sleepr posted:

Rennala's Full Moon really sucks in spite of the spectacle of casting it.

It absorbs spells which makes it badass imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Farum Azula is just kind of pace breaking. "You can't get into the tree, lets resolve that, ok time is of the essence and wait hol up go get this other thing". Its also an ugly level to me and kind of a boring spiral with reused enemies and bosses. It felt like a filler episode.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nameless King comes up a lot, what is it that people find difficult about him? Like yeah he's challenging because he hits like a truck and has lots of health. But he doesn't have much variety in his attacks, has no big fast combos and his moves are all well telegraphed. IMO he's pretty similar to Godfrey in Elden Ring. Absolutely a challenge but fairly predictable and avoidable once you know what he's doing.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Flytrap posted:

Oh yeah the R2 of the Iron/Celebrant Cleaver is excellent. Also roll catches like nothing else since you can release R2 at any time and the blade will drop super quick.

lol while unlocked, you can just run around fatties and bonk them in the back. i gotta make a mod to say yabba dabba dooo when you press r2 or something.

https://i.imgur.com/e3J8fDY.mp4

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any tips for Godefroy the Grafted (sp?)? I must have beaten him as a caster in my first go round but have no real memory of it except I know I had that drat talisman. On a new game as a melee guy he's giving me fits even when I take out RoB or a souped up Death Poker. I can get him down to like 20% health and then by that point he's so aggressive and has so many AOE attacks he's just wrecking me until I'm out of flasks.

Any good tips just to cheese him? Just want his stupid amulet -- no interest in an honorable victory.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Key is to keep him at medium distance, far enough that you can just run away from his attacks if you're struggling to learn the dodge timings on them. Medium distance lets you punish some of them:

- Jump his ground slam attacks, jumps have more IFrames than rolls and they let you close the distance and attack him.
- When he does his whirlwind attack thing he follows it with those wind/flame gusts if you're too far away, or a rolling jump attack that's easy to dodge if you're closer (so again, stay medium distance).
-When he does the big overhand one you've got a good chance to get in for some free damage too.

just punishing those three attacks should see you through. The other option is just learn to dodge roll, block and parry his attacks.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
SIR GIDEON OFNIR, THE AAAAAAAALLLLLLLL KNOOOOOOOOOOOWING is there to remind you to roll through or outrun cheesy spells.

Hoarah Loux, Warrior, Esq., is there to remind you bullshit AoE attacks can be humiliated with the jump button.

These will be very important skills immediately afterwards.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

bike tory posted:

Nameless King comes up a lot, what is it that people find difficult about him? Like yeah he's challenging because he hits like a truck and has lots of health. But he doesn't have much variety in his attacks, has no big fast combos and his moves are all well telegraphed. IMO he's pretty similar to Godfrey in Elden Ring. Absolutely a challenge but fairly predictable and avoidable once you know what he's doing.

And his attacks have weird delays on them, if you mess up at all you die. But yeah once you learn him he's fair and not especially hard.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Are the any ashes of war like Dynast's finess? I love the counter-attack gameplay but hate the rapiers, they have poo poo tracking, no slash attacks and are rear end on a horse.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The preview they give you of CFA is so brilliant that it was all I could think about after I saw it and how much I wanted to go there, and finally reaching it literally 100 hours later felt rewarding like nothing else. the "randomness" of the transition there didn't bother me because it fit the surreality of the area and has a similar vibe to how you reach archdragon peak. it had been a goal for most of the game and I knew there wasn't much left by the time I got there, so anticipating it and then finally seeing it again in the cutscene it was the best moment in the entire game

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Are the any ashes of war like Dynast's finess? I love the counter-attack gameplay but hate the rapiers, they have poo poo tracking, no slash attacks and are rear end on a horse.

Bloodhound Fang's AoW is pretty much the slash version. it's pretty powerful, has bleed and you can buff it.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I always kept wondering what exactly CFA was all about. It's clearly a place from before the Elden Tree, where the Rune of Death was hidden/guarded; primarily a domain of the dragons, and now wrecked by a never-ending storm.
What caused the storm? Was this also the work of Marika and the Greater Will, toppling the dragons and their own god? Placidusax seemed to try contacting their god immediately before the tornado started, maybe they tried to stop the destruction that was about to happen. (Except everyone seems to have a bad connection, lol)

It makes the most sense that Melina can just teleport you to a few special locations, such as the Roundtable and CFA. That may be something all Fingermaidens can do, or something Marika specifically enabled her to do (to prepare her for her role of ushering in the Erdtree's demise). Clearly the Erdtree can't die from an unextinguishable murder-flame like the forge, so the Rune of Death needs to be returned, too.
But I like to think that CFA also serves as a sort of prison in general, where traitors to the golden order are banished to. The lightning dragons have been bros with the late Godwyn, so they are the prison's enforcers; and CFA contains all sorts of heretics (banished knights, beastmen, wormfaces perhaps, godskin duo). Placidusax is likely not a prisoner, but just a side effect of the time fuckery that the dragon god has done here before CFA was destroyed. Malekith is here as a warden of sorts, but it's also possible he's in a sort of exile, too; half the time at Caelid to take in deathroot, as Marika cursed him to do, and half the time at CFA doing his time and repenting for his failure (which Marika engineered to begin with - poor doggo).

I could totally see a lightning dragon arriving to chuck you into CFA prison, because you just helped Melina commit the (almost) ultimate sin of the golden order. And she knew that would happen, knowing that you would still be blessed by grace, able to teleport out if necessary.

That's it. It's canon for me, now. Melina knocks you out, and then the lightning police arrives to imprison everyone present (clearly denying everyone necessary medical attention in the process). Melina smuggles you into prison to shiv another inmate.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

would have liked a real prison escape somewhere in the game. very fun to do in dark souls for 5 minutes

I just realized I forgot you start the game escaping a prison in dark souls. i meant the other one when you have to kill the snake with 1hp. Sorry

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 1, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I had a dream I started a new Elden ring character and my fiance left me, presumably because I still haven't finished bloodborne.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
CFA would be a better level if impossibly high washed out dragon land wasn't a point already hit on in DS2 and DS3. As is right now you have a lot of momentum first driving you towards Leyndell and then the last flame of the giants, which then gets squandered in a detour to this geographically isolated area.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I had a dream I started a new Elden ring character and my fiance left me, presumably because I still haven't finished bloodborne.

She had a good reason to do that in your dream... or your hunter's nightmare.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Cavauro posted:

would have liked a real prison escape somewhere in the game. very fun to do in dark souls for 5 minutes

I just realized I forgot you start the game escaping a prison in dark souls. i meant the other one when you have to kill the snake with 1hp. Sorry

Getting teleported to cellia crystal tunnel felt a bit similar

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
getting bodied by everything over and over again in sellia when I got murked there and then running back much later in the game and then getting bodied by those insect rot dudes on the roof of the wooden huts was deeply nostalgic for me bc it reminded me of the time I got swooped by magpies on my paper route as a kid and fell off my bike and then I went back seeking vengeance by coming back dressed up as Raphael the ninja turtle and I got owned again.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Vandar posted:

Yes please.

Flame, cleanse me basically deletes all the swamps in the game, it's a cheap faith spell that you can get fairly early on and costs almost nothing to cure poison and rot. I always make a beeline for it.

You can ride torrent over poison/scarlet swamps in the overworld without getting affected by them. Good dog

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Flame, cleanse me is imo a must on any build unless you want to min/max for pvp. You can use a 0 weight seal like the dragon communion, frenzy, erdtree or golden order seal for even less annoyance.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I love how flame cleanse is considered essential kit when I typically just let my rear end rot away and chugged estus when needed. Seemed to work just fine :shrug:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just ate poison riceballs because why what else are they for.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Kick rear end, I might actually try a glass cannon build at some point.

Okay, now that the game has been out for a couple months I'm willing to admit a pretty inexcusable problem with this game.

It's an open world RPG without a fishing minigame. What the gently caress FromSoft even Skyrim eventually put that in 0/10 not enough water poo poo game do not buy.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Boluses and Patience are what I used

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I beat both Malenia and the Fire Giant - the two bosses I have heard the most complaints about.

So I have a friend who I had been begging to play Souls games for years, and he's been playing Elden Ring. He's having pretty much the classic experience. He reached Fire Giant and said that was it. He said if some time I can come by his house and do it for him (we play on separate platforms), fine, but there was no way he was ever going to beat it, and that's cool, as he got 100+ really fun hours out of it up until then, and that's still better than most games, too bad he won't complete it, etc. etc. 3 days or so later, he called to say he had beaten the Fire Giant. I asked what the winning strat was (he's playing a caster), and he said "I dunno. I guess after trying so many times I just did it. I hadn't been doing long sessions, but whenever I had 30 mins free I'd grab the controller and take a run at him. I must have done 100 attempts". So like I said - classic Souls. He did also mention that it seemed like if you were good at sticking to the Giant's ankles it would be pretty easy, but he was not good at it.

When I was updating him on my own progress, I said I was about to fight Malenia, and he said "yeah. there's another one I'm just not going to do..."

So I have seen videos, I've watched some of the Let Me Solo Her runs, I've watched no-hit, no-dodge runs. I had some idea of what I was getting into. I knew for Waterfowl, the best thing is to whack her with a Freeze Pot, the 2nd best is to be at medium range, run from 1, dodge towards for 2 and twice away for 3 or whatever., and the 3rd best is "tank it if your shield is good".

My primary purpose on a first run is to see as much as possible, not meticulously learn boss fights. That being said, I did make 2 solo attempts. I am powerstancing daggers: Frost Misericorde, and Reduvia. That gives me Hoarfrost Stomp without having to two hand, and the L1 combo hits 3 times right away and comes out really fast. The only downside is: range. So Tiche and I jumped in, and I mostly let her stay on Tiche, rushing in for openings to do the stabby stab when I could. Did fairly well. Got her to 2nd phase, and got her down to maybe a 1/3rd health before I ran out of heals. 2nd attempt didn't go quite as well as the first but we still got her to 2nd phase.

At any rate - want to see more game, so time to summon!

So I assume since the rise of Let Me Solo Her, every other duffer who wants to be reddit famous has gotten together a gimmick build to fight Malenia with. Problem is, most of them seem to lack the skill of LMSH, and can not in fact, even stay alive the entire fight, much less solo her. At any rate, took 10 attempts, with summons, and the winning one was a repeat team, because we had some really bad RNG and while we all did the right things, it went south in a hurry. Resummoned the same 2 people and we got her.

Tough boss. Can definitely see some of the BULLSHIT that was illustrated in that one video. Not cool for a game to break its own rules like that, but eh - bosses have always kind of done that to an extent. At any rate, she seems very learnable, as her moveset really isn't that large.

So remember when I mentioned my friend said "I must have done 100 attempts" for Fire Giant? Malenia took me 2 solo attempts, and 10 attempts with summons to get. I know because I remember both solo fights, and I know about the 10 because I just happened to note how many Finger Remedies I had when I started. But here's the funny part: after each attempt, as I was running down from the grace, right before I'd pop a remedy I'd be like "k - how many is that? 3?", and I was ALWAYS wrong. I would guess like 3 and it would be 1. One time I guessed 5 and it had been 1. If you had asked me and I hadn't been counting Finger Remedies I would have said 30, easily.

I'm guessing my friend probably made more like 30 attempts. Or maybe 20. So: group experiment? Next time you are stuck doing multiple runs at a boss, use some consumable to count, and see how that compares with how many attempts it feels like you've made.

Also: Fire Giant took me 2 attempts. Turns out I was really good at sticking to his ankles. Friend's response was "congratulations and gently caress you". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Flytrap posted:

It's an open world RPG without a fishing minigame.

This only solidifies its status as the GOAT. gently caress fishing games