Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

glad they finally figured out cordless bikes though it was getting annoying carrying around five miles of extension cables whenever I needed to get something from the good grocery store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
the problem with the paths in my city is that they don't differentiate lanes for different uses (left lane for bikes, right lane for walking/running). So, you end up with four people walking side by side having a conversation, completely oblivious that other people might want to use the path too. I remember the paths I used in Europe had these designations, locals respected it and I never had to slow down for any obstacles. I remember the path that goes in front of the west Vienna train station has bricks lining both edges of the path, to let tourists know not to stand there while waiting for the light to change. I saw many a Viennese yell obscenities at old ladies with roller bags while swerving around them, dressed like Lance Armstrong. lol

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

glad they finally figured out cordless bikes though it was getting annoying carrying around five miles of extension cables whenever I needed to get something from the good grocery store

You joke, but electronic shifting (a separate thing from e-bikes) lines got drawn up on wired vs. wireless where you have one battery internally wired to both shifters, front derailleur, and rear derailleur, or a battery in each.

Let me tell you how bad I am at remembering to charge my bicycle every 1000 miles let alone worry about all the lights, computer, power meter, etc. I'm extremely dumb for giving into this nonsense.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

BeeSeeBee posted:

Let me tell you how bad I am at remembering to charge my bicycle every 1000 miles let alone worry about all the lights, computer, power meter, etc. I'm extremely dumb for giving into this nonsense.
This honestly owns and I'm lolling at an entirely human-powered cycle failing because someone forgot to charge their shifters. Do these systems support small dynamos/generators or is the parasitic drag not worth it?

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I mean more that there are externalities in driving. Not buying an e-bike because the lithium might come from mines where people are underpaid and not provided ppe would make sense if you are instead just buying a bike, but it's silly to use that as a reason to keep driving

ok legit tho aren't the externalities in a used car already a sunk cost? i do remember some fellow bernie brothers going on about this.

i humbly submit to your education

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

when i went without a car for a few years, the people who annoyed me the most weren't the car drivers but the cyclists

and when i started talking about this, it turned out most "anti-car people" were actually bicycle shills and not noble pedestrians

anyways, when doordash hiked their rates again i wound up giving up the "walking life" and bought a car

pedestrian+bus+train person here to agree w/ you that bicyclists are more annoying than drivers, but

BUT

they don't make the entire world generally worse and kill you

many sides

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bicyclists’ anger at cars is completely relatable but it’s annoying when they act like the first people ever endangered by cars

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I think you need to consider external environmental costs (even if you don't believe individual action does anything, like all of us in this thread I'm assuming)

Also keeping a 1k junk car running and not falling apart is loving expensive normally

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

some days i just don't feel like bothering putting in the extra effort to not make my posting look like a joke

That probably came off more assholish than I intended, but I am sometimes an rear end in a top hat the incorrect amount of credulous.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

mawarannahr posted:

bicyclists’ anger at cars is completely relatable but it’s annoying when they act like the first people ever endangered by cars

After being a walking/bus user almost my entire life, and then starting to ride a bike I can say pretty confidently that I have only felt like 2 people have tried to kill me while being a pedestrian, compared to like 15 in a single year of riding

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

El Pollo Blanco posted:

After being a walking/bus user almost my entire life, and then starting to ride a bike I can say pretty confidently that I have only felt like 2 people have tried to kill me while being a pedestrian, compared to like 15 in a single year of riding

it’s more like a “get in line, maybe we’ll give bicyclists rights after we secure human rights” thing for me. no justice no peace, no lesser evilism

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
i dunno i just like walking. i still walk everywhere. it's nice. i only use the car when it's too hot to walk.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

an actual frog posted:

This honestly owns and I'm lolling at an entirely human-powered cycle failing because someone forgot to charge their shifters. Do these systems support small dynamos/generators or is the parasitic drag not worth it?

Cycling in the US is completely tilted towards the high end since the sort of people who cycle enough to need electrical support in the US are almost entirely performance lunatics and not functional riders like tourers.

So you end up with dentists who insist that they can’t afford the 1.5% mechanical loss a dynamo hub causes and if you actually want a dynamo hub you’ve got to order one custom made from Germany because no one buys them here.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Electrical shift systems like Di2 are great because no one buying them actually needs them

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Every "improvement" made to bicycles in the past 40 years has been to extract more money out of people that think that maybe one more upgrade will finally make riding a bike fast easier. A lot of the fancy road bikes like in the Tour of France have to have weight added because the top of the line bikes they use are aimed at hobbyists that will pay thousands of extra dollars for a bike that's lighter than what regulations allow for racing

Peak reliable bike performance was achieved in the late 80s/early 90s with lightweight steel frames and indexed clicky shifters

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

an actual frog posted:

The "failure" mode is even funnier because it first shuts down the front derailleur and puts you in the little ring, so I'll be in group ride spinning at 160rpm and bouncing all over the place because I also don't want to go to a higher gear and cross chain.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Electrical shift systems like Di2 are great because no one buying them actually needs them

They came about when we had some of the best mechanical shifting, and then when we had the best front derailleur shifting they started pushing a 1x front chainring setup. Buuuuuut... I haven't had to adjust my gears in 8 years, and after wrenching for 10 years that's real nice.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

leftist heap posted:

people do this to their own kids all the time. it's basically why backup cams exist and now why front cams are probably gonna become standard

ok hear me out. so instead of a box with wheels we just replace the car with a black box, and when the driver sits down in it, it injects a lethal serum directly into their spine, paralyzing them and causing death within minutes. its sort of like getting into a car to go somewhere but much more environmentally conscious

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

ok legit tho aren't the externalities in a used car already a sunk cost? i do remember some fellow bernie brothers going on about this.

I mean I drive too, I'm not trying to attack you.

Yeah a used car isn't creating any new externalities vs a new car, but the whole point that the OP was making was that people only bring up externalities to attack e-bikes. The fuel for cars, the microplastics shed by the tires on the road, and more, but when you talk to a layperson about e-bikes they reach out for whatever answer means that they don't have to change their lifestyle instead of considering bikes or e-bikes

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

did you buy any new parts or fuel for your $1000 beater

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I mean I drive too, I'm not trying to attack you.

Yeah a used car isn't creating any new externalities vs a new car, but the whole point that the OP was making was that people only bring up externalities to attack e-bikes. The fuel for cars, the microplastics shed by the tires on the road, and more, but when you talk to a layperson about e-bikes they reach out for whatever answer means that they don't have to change their lifestyle instead of considering bikes or e-bikes

i mean honestly i dont give a gently caress about some lithium poisoning in some aquifer in the third world either way. doesn't "externalized" quite literally mean it doesn't affect you?

Mayday Cat posted:

did you buy any new parts or fuel for your $1000 beater

naw im just driving around with bad plates and an unfiled pink slip. i did have to buy gas and the cap on the drat gas lid was torn off and only the threaded part of the lid remains. $7/gallon can you believe it?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

When I first started to ride to work many years ago people there would to my face say they want hit cyclists for being on the road. poo poo was cash

mystes
May 31, 2006

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Love that the only externality people consider is for ebike batteries and not every single unnecessary bit of tech they've bought in the last 15 years with lion batteries lmao
Yeah this

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
controversial hot take: e-bikes are actually good because they get fat lards out of their cars and onto their bikes

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I love to ride bicycle

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hubbert posted:

controversial hot take: e-bikes are actually good because they get fat lards out of their cars and onto their bikes

sounds like a Tesla to me

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hubbert posted:

I don't understand why this is even controversial unless everyone here is secretly being paid off by the car companies

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mystes posted:

I don't understand why this is even controversial unless everyone here is secretly being paid off by the car companies

e-bikes are cars

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo

mawarannahr posted:

e-bikes are cars

this is a really stupid opinion

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
take 2 ebikes adn tape them to either side of a lawn chair. whats u get? thats right. CAR.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Smythe posted:

take 2 ebikes adn tape them to either side of a lawn chair. whats u get? thats right. CAR.

exactly

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
what if bikes, but cars?makes you think

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Costs more than my last car too

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lmfao it's like a big self-propelled stroller

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Hubbert posted:

99% of the complaints that people have about ebikes (other than the bad faith battery ones) are about throttled ebikes/ones with ridiculous top speeds. The pedelec regulated ones are great

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

A childhood dream was this with a passenger seat. Big round headlamps and metal fenders. Space for luggage. I was 8

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Also good god no fenders on that on a muddy trail, slathering my green polo shirt in mud like flung barbecue sauce, my eyes stinging badly

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

i spent three years not owning a car!! getting nearly ran over by bicyclists going the WRONG WAY in the SIDEWALK!!!

There's no wrong way on the sidewalk.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

i spent three years not owning a car!! getting nearly ran over by bicyclists going the WRONG WAY in the SIDEWALK!!!

this is cars fault for making the road too dangerous. let's not fight over the scraps we get (the sidewlak)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

much more efficient single person transport than a car, i'd love to hold up a lane of traffic in one of these