Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bruceski posted:

Oh wow he's done more than I realized. Every time I thought "okay that's gotta be all the good ones" there was another laugh coming.

The Venom cover is my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Keromaru5 posted:

The Venom cover is my favorite.

I didn't see Thor coming, and the beat figuring it out got me good.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

Amazing World of DC Comics #11 (1976)
He's just so happy to get some recognition.

Red Tornado #2 (1985)

Superman being played by Homelander this ish

Is Len Snart an anagram? I never was any good at those.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darthemed posted:

Red Tornado #2 (1985)

Okay, I'm gonna need more context, because usually you only see Supes being that much of a dick on the cover.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dareon posted:

Okay, I'm gonna need more context, because usually you only see Supes being that much of a dick on the cover.

Going to guess it's either a dream or a fake.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Going to guess it's either a dream or a fake.

IIRC, the League is being mind-controlled to turn against the Tornado.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To be fair Red Tornado is kinda a lovely hero.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was probably the only synthetic member of the jl up to that point, so it sort of makes sense why he'd be a target despite being otherwise useless.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dareon posted:

Okay, I'm gonna need more context

DC Comics

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dareon posted:

1985, so basically "it was the style at the time." Nearly the end of the Bronze Age and start of the Dark Age.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Selachian posted:

IIRC, the League is being mind-controlled to turn against the Tornado.
It's this. Red Tornado is the only creature on Earth immune to the mind-control specifics.

Power Man and Iron Fist #90 (1983)

Blue Devil #16 (1985)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Darthemed posted:

Blue Devil #16 (1985)

Unfortunately for one Peter "Spider-Man" Parker he does not live in the DC Universe and the Kingpin is just ballsy enough to do it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kwyndig posted:

Unfortunately for one Peter "Spider-Man" Parker he does not live in the DC Universe and the Kingpin is just ballsy enough to do it.

Part of me thinks Kingpin did that because he was afraid to do it to Matt Murdock and he was angry at himself for being afraid.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Skwirl posted:

Part of me thinks Kingpin did that because he was afraid to do it to Matt Murdock and he was angry at himself for being afraid.

Could you imagine if he had put a hit out on Foggy?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

davidspackage posted:

Superman being played by Homelander this ish

Is Len Snart an anagram? I never was any good at those.

No, Captain Cold's real name is just actually "Leonard Snart". No fooling, it's always been his actual name.

It really only magnifies how dangerous and yet ridiculous he is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
silver age villains all have weird real names.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Redeye Flight posted:

No, Captain Cold's real name is just actually "Leonard Snart". No fooling, it's always been his actual name.

It really only magnifies how dangerous and yet ridiculous he is.

I wonder why comics latched on to 'captain' as the rank of choice for villains and heroes.

Colonel Cold
Brigadier America

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Elissimpark posted:

I wonder why comics latched on to 'captain' as the rank of choice for villains and heroes.

Colonel Cold
Brigadier America

There's room for comedy where a Lieutenant Villain is making the plans, and a Major Villain goes "Hang on, why are you in charge? I outrank you!"

Then they both yell at an Admiral Villain who tries to come into the conversation for not even being in the same branch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Elmers uhh, planning to... uh just murder?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Upsidads posted:

Elmers uhh, planning to... uh just murder?

are you aware that the premise of the bugs and elmer looney tunes skits are elmer trying to kill bugs because he's hunting rabbits

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
He doesn’t even plan on eating the rabbits! He’s a vegetarian

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

He comes off more just mean and murdery than I remember

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Keen Detective Funnies #18 (1940)

Inferior 5 #3 (2020)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Colonel Cold
Brigadier America

Captain is honestly just because it flows better in terms of how it sounds. The exception is if you have a word that pairs extremely well with Sargent

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Upsidads posted:

He comes off more just mean and murdery than I remember

Literally just watch a classic Elmer/Bugs cartoon.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dareon posted:

There's room for comedy where a Lieutenant Villain is making the plans, and a Major Villain goes "Hang on, why are you in charge? I outrank you!"

Then they both yell at an Admiral Villain who tries to come into the conversation for not even being in the same branch.

and their discussion is moderated by a guy who's the supervillain equivalent of an O6

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

ImpAtom posted:

Captain is honestly just because it flows better in terms of how it sounds. The exception is if you have a word that pairs extremely well with Sargent

Also Captain is not just a military rank.
The head of the crew of any ship is called a Captain.
Pilots are often called Captain.
The senior player on many sports teams is called Captain.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

Also Captain is not just a military rank.
The head of the crew of any ship is called a Captain.
Pilots are often called Captain.
The senior player on many sports teams is called Captain.

Now I'm trying to imagine the football match between heroes and villains, where all of the villains are Captain something or other, except for Major Victory and Major Force, and they're using the confusion of so many captains to beat the poo poo out of each other while the ref isn't looking.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

What I think about is all the ranks/titles that have never been used for superheroes.
There's plenty of Captains, some Majors, Generals, Commanders and even a few Sergeants, but where are Corporal Cannonfodder, Lieutenant Fisticuffs, or Admiral Amoeba?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bucnasti posted:

What I think about is all the ranks/titles that have never been used for superheroes.
There's plenty of Captains, some Majors, Generals, Commanders and even a few Sergeants, but where are Corporal Cannonfodder, Lieutenant Fisticuffs, or Admiral Amoeba?

Corporal Punishment must have been used somewhere besides as a throwaway joke in the Simpsons.

Has there ever been a Colonel Truth (or *sigh* Colonel O'Truth)?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

Corporal Punishment must have been used somewhere besides as a throwaway joke in the Simpsons.

Has there ever been a Colonel Truth (or *sigh* Colonel O'Truth)?

No but Colonel is covered already.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
The disrespect for Commodore Donny Planet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

Only one of them is the Colonel of Truth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Is the Colonel with a chicken head a cannibal?

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Is the Colonel with a chicken head a cannibal?

No, he sells Kentucky fried man.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Admiralty Flag posted:

He's one of a character's characters in Knights of the Dinner Table.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Too many racists

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Lightning Comics #4 (1940)

Venom: Carnage Unleashed #3 (1995)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

Captain Marvel (the Shazam! version) had some Lieutenant Marvels.

The only Colonel I can think of, other than characters who hold the actual military rank (e.g. Colonel Rick Flag), is the Flash villain Colonel Computron.