Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cardiac posted:

It is a weird Swedish thing for some families, presumably since those families used to be rather poor back a generation or two and then it stuck.
It is also a behaviour that should be shamed out of existence. If you invite guests, you feed them.

Never thought I’d say this but you’re 100 percent correct.

I grew up with friends who had grandparents who grew up during the Depression, and some of those weird as hell habits stuck. Reusing paper plates, hoarding food until it’s a botulism bomb, having to eat every scrap of food on your plate even if you’re full, etc.

Trauma can easily pass down from one generation to another, and this could lead into a fascinating inquiry into trauma and epigenetic-stemmed behavior.

Regardless, it’s wildly embarrassing behavior though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzCcExFBncw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

The two things that happened when my broke rear end made it to Sweden was that

1) my dormmates realized that I didn't own any furniture and was planning to sleep on a sleeping bag which I carried all the way there until I could afford a bed. They banded together and found a spare bed someone had in their room, and I got to not sleep on the floor on my first day.

2) someone who had heard that I was going to the south of Sweden on a different forum showed up like a week after I arrived with a care package full of Swedish things and some IKEA basics to get me on my feet. He later invited me to his family home and I had dinner with his parents and got to see a different town.

This is to someone they didn't know nor had any responsibility to, I've never known Swedes to not be hospitable. I realize this is all anecdotal but it's why it strikes me as bullshit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/IsaacYeen/status/1531633473835917312
https://twitter.com/bidetmarxman/status/1531509286458707968
https://twitter.com/genghisbruh/status/1531386488356732929
https://twitter.com/danielmalmer/status/1531506474362470402

Spitting Sweden facts.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 31, 2022

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

teen witch posted:

I’ve never experienced it personally, but I’ve had Swedish guests act weird when I provide snacks for parties I’m hosting or I share alcohol. Like they love it but it’s always a “why are you feeding the guests” from my partner.

Apparently that’s not normal?

It's normal in Norway, which is a country similar to Sweden at first glance.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Crespolini posted:

Norway is also a country that used to be really poor until they discovered oil, so go figure.

teen witch posted:

Never thought I’d say this but you’re 100 percent correct.

I grew up with friends who had grandparents who grew up during the Depression, and some of those weird as hell habits stuck. Reusing paper plates, hoarding food until it’s a botulism bomb, having to eat every scrap of food on your plate even if you’re full, etc.

Trauma can easily pass down from one generation to another, and this could lead into a fascinating inquiry into trauma and epigenetic-stemmed behavior.

Regardless, it’s wildly embarrassing behavior though.

I mean, there is a certain amount of cheapskate over it as well.
Experience wise, I have been at parties/dinners at people who I know are not well off, but where it would be a shame for the host if food ran out. And where they always ask if you can eat some more.
It is not so much linked to social status the way I see it.

Edit:
My in-laws have celebrated New Years with the same circle of friends for the last 20 years and where they have to split the cost down to the single krona, because some of their friends are stingy.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 31, 2022

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

It is a weird Swedish thing for some families, presumably since those families used to be rather poor back a generation or two and then it stuck.
It is also a behaviour that should be shamed out of existence. If you invite guests, you feed them.

OTOH, poor families are, in my experience, the least likely to do the whole strange "no you go wait while we eat"-thing. It was a very common attitude with the upper crust of Saltsjö-Duvnäs in the late 80's to 90's. My take is that it's more "you don't belong" than "it's an expense we'd rather not have to share" thing.

Also, feed the kids. If people are at your place during feeding time share the food. I very much grew up with this sentiment:

quote:

]Fem äro bjudna, tio komma, slå vatten i soppan och önska välkomna.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Not feeding your kid’s friends is borderline sociopathic behavior. MY GIRLFRIEND from Västergötland and numerous people I work with have experienced this as children and it still haunts them.

In other news S forgets it is an election year and has everyone wondering if they should vote blue by raising the retirement age with immediate effect.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 31, 2022

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Lol my dad would just have been pissed if some other punks parents fed me. He was home cooking dinner for me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Crespolini posted:

I would say it is very much expected in Norway; I know that in some parts of the country it is considered deeply shameful to not have coffee and cakes ready in case somebody shows up unannounced.

I think I heard someone say providing for guests has such cultural importance because it used to be very far between houses and villages, and it could mean life and death for travellers.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

thotsky posted:

I would say it is very much expected in Norway; I know that in some parts of the country it is considered deeply shameful to not have coffee and cakes ready in case somebody shows up unannounced.

I think I heard someone say providing for guests has such cultural importance because it used to be very far between houses and villages, and it could mean life and death for travellers.

It's not unheard of to not feed guests, depends on the guest and the occasion. As a kid if you weren't invited to dinner you wouldn't get any and you don't always always feed someone over for a ten minute coffee.

But I get more of this attitude from olds. Nowadays not feeding a guest is pretty out there.

Unless they are a swede.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

So glad the world has finally learned what norwegians always knew.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh no, not Ukraine.

And what's this "used to" have principles about who they sold weapons to? They sold Bofors guns to everybody on the planet back in the day.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

OTOH, poor families are, in my experience, the least likely to do the whole strange "no you go wait while we eat"-thing. It was a very common attitude with the upper crust of Saltsjö-Duvnäs in the late 80's to 90's. My take is that it's more "you don't belong" than "it's an expense we'd rather not have to share" thing.

Also, feed the kids. If people are at your place during feeding time share the food. I very much grew up with this sentiment:

You know what, when I think about it, this is also my experience.
I never really got along with those kids anyways.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hair Elf
The state of cannabis liberalization in Sweden is so far off that everyone's ignoring the page number.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
think i ate at friends house like 5% of the time from 8-18. rest i waited and played cs on the computer. its not weird st all tbh.

these american takes are deranged.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

von Braun posted:

think i ate at friends house like 5% of the time from 8-18. rest i waited and played cs on the computer. its not weird st all tbh.

these american takes are deranged.

What American takes? I'm American and I didn't get plied with food whenever I went to my friend's house to play Nintendo for an hour or so after school. Sure when I went to visit, say, my grandparents, they'd made me a sandwich, but only if we were visiting for an extended period of time.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Even the English feed their guests. I used to hide in the bedroom to avoid the awful cooking, though. This is some of the weirdest stuff I’ve heard in my life.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Reading Aftonbladet, watching them try to excuse this lovely behavior of feeding your kids but not your kid’s friends is cracking me up.

I would be so embarrassed if I only invited only some people in the house to dinner.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What American takes? I'm American and I didn't get plied with food whenever I went to my friend's house to play Nintendo for an hour or so after school. Sure when I went to visit, say, my grandparents, they'd made me a sandwich, but only if we were visiting for an extended period of time.

most of twitter i guess.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

The state of cannabis liberalization in Sweden is so far off that everyone's ignoring the page number.

I gave up on that years ago.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I didn't get plied with food whenever I went to my friend's house to play Nintendo for an hour or so after school. Sure when I went to visit, say, my grandparents, they'd made me a sandwich, but only if we were visiting for an extended period of time.

Very much the same. If you visited a friend on an impulse after school you either went home when your friend's family started eating or you stayed in their room playing with Lego or something until they came back from dinner 10 minutes later. Then you played for some time and went home to eat dinner. I think I was offered food on these occasions from time to time but I recall it felt very weird to eat with someone else's family, so I almost always declined.

If you were invited for any occasion to an event involving or arranged by their parents or if you stayed for a longer time you were fed though.

I have however never not fed my own kid's friends, and it would feel weird not to offer them something when we are eating.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

No hold up, Bajstunnan!? Where did these people grow up, on a farm!?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I can only assume that tweet wasn't serious

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Groda posted:

Cannabis is illegal. Period.
No, we cannot do a government investigation into possible medical uses of cannabis, like our department of health is suggesting.
Why? I just told you. Cannabis is illegal.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We've never fed the other peoples kids when visiting, we've offered but they've always said no, their parents cooked for them at home and they'd eat there when it was dinner time. I get the impression the other parents wouldn't appreciate it.

I also don't expect to be fed if I visit someone for a short while, they might offer. Now we're going to stay several hours...

Then coffee and snacks would be expected, a whole day, I'd expect a meal.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Cannabis is illegal. Period.
No, we cannot do a government investigation into possible medical uses of cannabis, like our department of health is suggesting.
Why? I just told you. Cannabis is illegal.

We have cannabis containing drugs though, you just don't smoke weed, and there are severe restrictions in prescribing it because of obvious reasons. Doctors can also get a license to prescribe normally illegal cannabis drugs, but this is comparatively rare.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zudgemud posted:

We have cannabis containing drugs though, you just don't smoke weed, and there are severe restrictions in prescribing it because of obvious reasons. Doctors can also get a license to prescribe normally illegal cannabis drugs, but this is comparatively rare.

My bad, the department of health was suggesting an investigation into legalized personal use, not medical use.

https://www.svd.se/a/zG2X7w/vill-utreda-narkotikalag-men-regeringen-sager-nej

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

thotsky posted:

If I wasn't even offered coffee somewhere I'd probably just take it as a hint to leave honestly

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

(quote/edit)

Crespolini fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 1, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Norway is also a country that used to be really poor until they discovered oil, so go figure.

Yeah, that's a myth. Norway became incredibly rich. But Norway wasn't super impoverished in a European context before that. Welfare state, highly educated populace and all that predate the oil by at least half a century.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

His Divine Shadow posted:

We've never fed the other peoples kids when visiting, we've offered but they've always said no, their parents cooked for them at home and they'd eat there when it was dinner time. I get the impression the other parents wouldn't appreciate it.

I also don't expect to be fed if I visit someone for a short while, they might offer. Now we're going to stay several hours...

Yeah ok I think we are talking about two very different scenarios. If someone expressed their intent on going home to eat dinner or makes little sense to cook for them. As I remember youth it was more kids just hanging out and all of a sudden it's almost dinner time oh well call home and let them know you are having dinner here ok?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Nice piece of fish posted:

So glad the world has finally learned what norwegians always knew.

I will insult you and incinerate your money when we win the next war, you feelings hurter!

And also this

His Divine Shadow posted:

is the whole truth, and besides we've left the 1980s now and have improved our ways towards other people's kids and their contact averse parents

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 1, 2022

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The "Bajstunnan" lore is 100% accurate and enforced in about 95% of Swedish households to date. You can see abandoned bajstunnor all over the streets from rebel kids but a lot of schools teach kids how to properly handle their Bajstunna so it won't become too much of a societal health hazard

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I dont own a bajstunna but I make sure to rent one whenever I have guests. Especially when my svåger is haunting the place.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

is the whole truth, and besides we've left the 1980s now and have improved our ways towards other people's kids and their contact averse parents

God I miss the 1980s. This was also how it was in the 1980s when I was a kid.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zzulu posted:

The "Bajstunnan" lore is 100% accurate and enforced in about 95% of Swedish households to date. You can see abandoned bajstunnor all over the streets from rebel kids but a lot of schools teach kids how to properly handle their Bajstunna so it won't become too much of a societal health hazard

Can't believe you won't let your guests use your brusefotølj. Disgraceful.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Can't believe you won't let your guests use your brusefotølj. Disgraceful.

Visiting the one rich kid in class to play with LEGO, and their parents calling it a "seau des déchets" was the worst.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Growing up in Denmark I have literally never not been offered food if I was in someone’s home at dinner time, and my friends ranged from crushing poverty to moderate affluence to weird fundies. And though it’s not on the map, you cannot even enter a domicile on the Faroe Islands without immediately having the skerpikjøt brought in as well.

Very offended to be lumped with the Swedes on this tbh

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I've always been offered something as well, or my mom would call and say that dinner was almost ready, so I would go home and eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I just got this memory that exploded into my brain, as I kid I thought the food other peoples parents cooked was not very appetizing looking, so I never wanted to even try eating there.