Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I read that "don't linger at daycare" advice a bunch of places and have followed it from day one. We go in, she gets plopped with the other babies and teachers in the circle while I put up her bottles etc., then she gets a goodbye smooch or omnomnom on her brains and I'm gone. So far this has worked but she also is only just getting separation anxiety so we'll see how it goes.

She was sleeping through the night just fine, but the past week or so (basically since she got over covid) it feels like she's spitting up a lot more (which is saying a lot for her), and then our schedules were a bit weird over the weekend so the past couple of nights she's woken up hungry either during the night or at a point that, while technically late enough that I can't say it's "during the night," is still way too loving early. We had a devil of a time putting her to bed tonight, and she didn't get as much solid food today, so I'm not super optimistic that she won't wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

nachos posted:

Do long weekends ever get fun as a parent

This weekend was just me and the 2 year old while my wife was out of town and I had a blast. It was not the way I used to spend my weekends, but it was still fun.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

nachos posted:

I did it. I won a 2 hour battle of wills with my toddler who refused to sleep in her crib. She’s sleeping in her loving crib.

a beacon of hope for us all

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

nachos posted:

I did it. I won a 2 hour battle of wills with my toddler who refused to sleep in her crib. She’s sleeping in her loving crib.

Just in time to get some sleep before round 2 tomorrow!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My 7 year old just had the biggest blast of a holiday weekend ever. First time in a long time she got so much time to play (3hrs in the pool) that she passed out early. Caught her asleep on the couch, she woke up and told me she was just resting her eyes. Has dinner, immediately plops back on the couch to rest her eyes again.

:lol:

Proceeded to go to bed 3 hours early and still sleep till normal wakeup.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Long weekends are still tough but at 3 1/2 it's way easier. Biggest thing is that you can travel with him now in a way that feels cooperative - going to the coast to see his in-laws feels like a holiday rather than a series of chores.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Proceeded to go to bed 3 hours early and still sleep till normal wakeup.
I admire your risk-taking here, that could have easily been an it’s-4AM-who’s-ready-to-party morning. Congrats, you’ve won the long weekend parenting competition.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
how are y'all dealing with anxiety around mass shootings, both kids' and your own? i don't live in the states right now but plan to move back and I am just beside myself every time I picture sending my kid off to school there.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thank God I don’t live in the US but worry that it will leak into Canada more and more

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Emily Spinach posted:

omnomnom on her brains

Haha this is amazing :3:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't like how King Friday calls the Neighborhood of Make-Believe "my neighborhood" sometimes. He needs to gently caress off with that poo poo or the denizens might needs remind him from whence springs his mandate

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pro: my 3.5 year old has gotten over blippi and coco melon

Con: he is ALL IN on Paw Patrol

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

boquiabierta posted:

how are y'all dealing with anxiety around mass shootings, both kids' and your own? i don't live in the states right now but plan to move back and I am just beside myself every time I picture sending my kid off to school there.
These school shootings are horrible, tragic, and I can barely fathom the pain these parents go though. They absolutely warrant as much news coverage as possible to encourage any change for the better in the current political situation.

But on a day-to-day basis, shootings themselves are incredibly rare, and there's so many other things to worry about that are statistically much more likely to harm your kids.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

nwin posted:

Mine is into trains and other vehicles. His other brother had no interest. At least my childhood Brio train set I had as a kid that my parents saved will be put to good use.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

First day of daycare update: dropoff went well! They looked like they were interested in all of the fun new friends and toys. Their teacher was really great to talk to as well, and she seems like she has a good grasp on what to expect.

One kid was having a meltdown and somehow that made me feel better about our kids possibly having a meltdown. I guess it happens!

Talked to another set of parents whose kid was starting his first day and they were nervous as well.

I feel a lot less nervous today than I did yesterday. Hopefully they wait at least a week before they get sick so my wife is back and can help me!

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 31, 2022

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Before you know it, they're gonna be upset to see you come pickup and refuse to go home because they were just about to go outside or something.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

nwin posted:

Blippi, coco melon, peppa pig, calliou, etc are not allowed in our house. “Sorry, we can’t get those.”

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Renegret posted:

Before you know it, they're gonna be upset to see you come pickup and refuse to go home because they were just about to go outside or something.
The first year my kids were in daycare I made a point to pick them up relatively early as soon as I was done with work (usually 3:30-4:30pm) but now that they both have recess at the end of the day it's a mistake to pick them up any earlier than 5pm.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My son with no shoes or pants on: yes, let us run down the street! Run and run!!!!

My son dressed for a walk: oh... Oh idk... Maybe back to the driveway. Should I stop and stand for a while? Maybe you'd like to carry me now that we're halfway around the block. Are those ROCKS?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

nwin posted:

Youngest is adding a new kind of video to his lineup, which now consists of lawn care, roofing, and construction. One channel in particular he enjoys is Ken White Construction, especially the ones where Ken straps on a GoPro while he's installing concrete bollards or something like that :3:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter loves craft videos and barely cares about any show where someone's not making something.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

D34THROW posted:

Youngest is adding a new kind of video to his lineup, which now consists of lawn care, roofing, and construction. One channel in particular he enjoys is Ken White Construction, especially the ones where Ken straps on a GoPro while he's installing concrete bollards or something like that :3:

That is entirely my jam.

We were doing Hudson’s playground for a while but we stopped because the dad was fake lighting stuff on fire in some episodes and the kids were general tyrants. My son soaked that up too much and we didn’t need the extra terrorizing.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Huh, wonder what'd happen if I just make my kid watch like 15 hours of stone age technology videos

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
How it's Made has a ton of their stuff on YouTube and it's one of the finest bedtime sedative videos there is.

Short duration
Soft Monotone Voice
"Interesting" topic (Candy, Toys, Cookies, etc)
Technically it's "youtube"
Just perfect.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

External Organs posted:

Huh, wonder what'd happen if I just make my kid watch like 15 hours of stone age technology videos

You'd get a poo poo ton of sweet potatoes out of it

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My kids love watching the Stone Age construction videos, and also Evan and Katelyn. We shifted off Blippi and onto that stuff as soon as we discovered it!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

sheri posted:

When your kid is old enough to roam freely with other neighborhood kids it is pretty great.

I wish I could raise a kid like I was raised in the 80s, because the age when neighborhood kids could roam around their yards unsupervised was like 5. By 6 or 7 I had a bike and the only rule was not to cross the big street at the end of our dead-end street.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

davebo posted:

I wish I could raise a kid like I was raised in the 80s, because the age when neighborhood kids could roam around their yards unsupervised was like 5. By 6 or 7 I had a bike and the only rule was not to cross the big street at the end of our dead-end street.

We have a neighborhood where this is the norm for most of the kids! It's how I remember most of my childhood too. And I loved it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

my kid was ENRAPTURED with Dhar Mann videos last night. It's the longest she's sat still in 2 months. wtf.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

We showed our oldest Ultimate Beastmaster on netflix and he loves it, but it did not help his desire to jump off of things.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Accidentally introduced my 4yo to Little Big and now it's the only music she plays that's not the Encanto soundtrack.

I hope Lin Manuel Miranda has an accident.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Almost halfway through the almost 2yo's COVID isolation.

The only thing worse than chasing an almost two toddler around the yard in Texas heat or entertaining a cooped up toddler around the house when that heat is too much is doing it in an N95.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Chernobyl Princess posted:

We showed our oldest Ultimate Beastmaster on netflix and he loves it, but it did not help his desire to jump off of things.

Then don’t show him Floor Is Lava. We had to lay down a hard rule of not playing it in the living room, just the basement.

There’s a reason they’ve only seen one three stooges episode so far, immediately after the episode the twins started trying the same moves on each other. This was over a year ago when they were around four and didn’t fully grasp play fighting. Now? They could probably handle it.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 1, 2022

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
If you’ve never had a baby with a mouth full of razor sharp teeth sneeze while breastfeeding, you’re not missing out. My poor little guy is sneezing more than he ever has in his life with covid. And if you’ve never had to parent a sick baby and a healthy and energetic three year old while also having covid yourself… well you’re not missing out there either.

Ended up hauling us all to the beach (a rocky lake beach and it was 50 degrees out, so not exactly swimming weather), just so my daughter could run around and climb on rocks and get some energy out. She ran around for over two hours. Bed time still took nearly two hours though. She wanted to “read” a book, and she chose her potty training book. There’s a page that says “tinkle tinkle,” and she goes, “tinkle treat!” Like it’s Halloween. “Then the whole village came, and oh look it’s grandma!”

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

My 22-month-old did a front flip off the couch this morning and hosed up the landing to the extent that she fractured her elbow. Cast for the next three weeks. At least it's winter so we can get by with skipping baths here and there...

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Jumpsuit posted:

My 22-month-old did a front flip off the couch this morning and hosed up the landing to the extent that she fractured her elbow. Cast for the next three weeks. At least it's winter so we can get by with skipping baths here and there...

I was wondering how fractures happen the other day, seeing as our toddler seems to be Terminator material as far as I’m concerned (not sure if T-800 or T-1000 for that matter).

Except potential skull fractures, I suppose. The noggin seems neither indestructible, nor overly flexible.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

nwin posted:

My little one likes Fireman Sam now and I swear that is the absolute cheapest, shittiest looking childrens show on TV - but the show itself is actually pretty watchable! I'll take it over coco melon any fuckin day

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
For anyone stuck in an Encanto loop, I highly recommend Vivo, available on Netflix. I think I’ve mentioned it before but oh well.

I swear I’m not a musical Broadway “person,” but the final scenes of Encanto are basically a ripoff of RENT. A candle burning, along with the general melody makes me think Encanto is a bit of an afterthought, or a project Lin-Manuel didn’t really feel like doing. Vivo has much better music and plot, imho.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I swear we don't talk about Bruno is a complete rip off of https://youtu.be/fo3frpVDwNw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Try and make our kids watch educational things, the updated version of Magic School Bus on Netflix seems to be well liked. But pretty much anything with animals or robots are big hit.