Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I am bad at/scared of ledges. I've decided to wrap my hands around fear's neck.

Made it with 3 12 foot boards I had laying around, 4 pallets, and a box of deck screws. It is a 32 inch drop. Much more than I can handle so I've been bailing off the edge for now.

I have an itch to build some balance stuff like a log or teeter. But part of me just wants to start building fun BMX elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

e.pilot posted:

I built my last mtb with AXS and while I don’t dislike it enough to swap it out, I miss being able to rapidly downshift 2-3 gears, it just shifts kinda slow compared to mech.

Huh, never noticed the poo poo difference. I'll try to pay attention next time I'm out.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

um excuse me posted:

I am bad at/scared of ledges. I've decided to wrap my hands around fear's neck.

Made it with 3 12 foot boards I had laying around, 4 pallets, and a box of deck screws. It is a 32 inch drop. Much more than I can handle so I've been bailing off the edge for now.

I have an itch to build some balance stuff like a log or teeter. But part of me just wants to start building fun BMX elements.
awesome. drops scare me too and i have to walk them/hop off without the bike before i can convince my brain they're fine

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

New Bike Day!

Well, actually last Friday, but I've been busy.

Old reliable-but-too-small on the left, new actually-appropriately-sized hotness on the right. Co-op DRT 2.1.

On paper it ticks every box I could want on a hardtail. I tweaked my back while loading up the car to take it out to the trail Saturday morning so I wasn't able to give it a full workout but so far I'm happy with the light riding I've been able to do. The range in the 1x12 drivetrain surprised me, I really thought I'd be giving up something but both on and off road I haven't felt the need for more.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

awesome. drops scare me too and i have to walk them/hop off without the bike before i can convince my brain they're fine

the trick is to go fast and not hit the brakes

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think besides the psychological part the trick is actually to look for the landing as soon as it's visible and not the lip of the drop.

It's great that it's a situation where you can pop off the side.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'll give that a shot. A lot of my issues lie in not transfering weight correctly. The pedals fall away from my feet and I panic.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
How do your pedals fall away when you're standing on them with bent knees?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Maybe also work on preloading more before takeoff so you control your exit from the platform. Like you would if you were to jump off the platform on foot instead of walking off.

And switch to clipless :getin:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I'll give that a shot. A lot of my issues lie in not transfering weight correctly. The pedals fall away from my feet and I panic.

I don't know what kind of road curbs you have in your area (or sidewalk curbs?) but if you have the squared off ones I always teach people by bringing them there and having them go 'off' the curb as if it was a bigger drop. IE float yourself off the end with no real weight on either wheel. From you saying the pedals fall away a bit I wonder if this is something that might help. I hope this doesn't come across as preachy or anything, or unwarranted advice:

- Go fast enough that you don't have to worry about your front wheel dropping before your rear wheel is off the drop
- As you approach the drop, bend your knees and preload the suspension (like you're pumping the downside of a roller) such that you're coming 'up' and there is very little of your weight pushing down on the bike as your front wheel reaches the lip
- Let the bike come up with you, keep the knees bent and your wheels level, look for your landing
- Let the bike down onto the landing, both wheels at the same time ideally. This is easier to figure out on much larger drops.

To practice while just riding around, do slow kinda 'pumps' and see how long you can keep your weight off the bike. Pick something you see on the ground, pretend it's a drop, and try to unweight the bike so that as you ride over that point with both wheels you aren't 'coming back down' onto the bike before the rear wheel is past the point.

For all of this when I refer to your body coming up or coming back down, I'm referring to your weight on the bike, not ever coming off the pedals. When you do this right, the bike will feel like it's coming up with you.

The one thing I see a lot when people are learning is they kinda do something like jerky with the handlebars, they try to pull up on it. I would say try to do as much of this as you can with just your legs and your arms are only really used to keep your wheels level.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I can't stress this enough but if you're having trouble with drops or anything else, getting a coaching session is invaluable.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

And switch to clipless :getin:

:frogout:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I can't my foot's stuck!!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
No all of this is helpful, I can keep up with my friends in the woods until we hit a jump line. It's been a persistent issue for me for close to 20 years stretching back to my BMX days. I literally never figured it out and I'm angry I haven't at this point. I hate built that platform in one day because I'm fed up with it haha.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

after years of using it as a commuter and rain bike i repacked all the bearings on my Bridgestone branded 90s steel mountain bike, put some 26x2.0 knobbies on it and plan to yeet myself down some local trails with no guidance whatsoever. i have a little experience playing in the dirt from riding cyclocross. hopefully i survive

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

after years of using it as a commuter and rain bike i repacked all the bearings on my Bridgestone branded 90s steel mountain bike, put some 26x2.0 knobbies on it and plan to yeet myself down some local trails with no guidance whatsoever. i have a little experience playing in the dirt from riding cyclocross. hopefully i survive

it's going to be great

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

I can't my foot's stuck!!

Excellent reply.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In my infinite wisdom I broke a lower trunion in my suspension pivot.

My bike is a 2012 Trek Fuel EX-6. Needless to say, you cannot buy replacements.

But since we live in TYOOL 2022, I said nah gently caress that.

I JB Weld that poo poo back together and fired up the computer and grabbed my calipers.

I pressed some buttons and suddenly:

I'm going to do some tolerancing measurements to see how far off the print was, but these are the fit check articles. Assuming everything bolts up, I'm gonna send the print, with tolerancing, off to a machine shop to make the world's most expensive trunion bolt. I've done projects like this in the past and usually an independent shop will bang something like this out for $200.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

um excuse me posted:

, I'm gonna send the print, with tolerancing, off to a machine shop to make the world's most expensive trunion bolt. I've done projects like this in the past and usually an independent shop will bang something like this out for $200.

Does the tolerancing mean the blueprint, or a different format?
How do you find out if a shop does this kind of work?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

you call them and ask

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OMGVBFLOL posted:

you call them and ask

What are the shops called, machine shops? X and Y machining?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

OH, yeah. machine shop is the general term. something like this would be within the capabilities of almost anyone with some dial indicators and a sizable lathe, the primary questions are if they have the right bar stock on hand and if it'd be worth their time at a price acceptable to you.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Working with machine shops you call and ask if they'll do independent work. Some shops exist solely to mass manufacture parts for a factory. They buy a lathe with the intention of it spitting out hundreds of the same parts every day for it's entire operational life. That's where the money is. They don't make money from one off parts like this so a lot of machine shops will understandably decline work like this. However some shops will fill down time between part batches with work like this if you can make it worth their time.

kimbo305 posted:

Does the tolerancing mean the blueprint, or a different format?

Tolerancing meaning the capability of the printer to meet the nominal specifications called out in the drawing. I don't have dimensional tolerancing set up yet, but there are only a handful of critical dimensions that need them, the rest of the features on this part appear to be just for weight savings.

If anyone likes STATISTICS

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 1, 2022

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I'd be willing to bet that having done up the drawings already makes it both easier to find a shop that'll do it and cheaper. I can see a lot more people turning away "hey i have this broken bike part can you make me a new one" than "i have a one-off part of approx X by Y by Z dimensions, with drawings and a prototype, can you make this?"

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I'd be willing to bet that having done up the drawings already makes it both easier to find a shop that'll do it and cheaper. I can see a lot more people turning away "hey i have this broken bike part can you make me a new one" than "i have a one-off part of approx X by Y by Z dimensions, with drawings and a prototype, can you make this?"

Yea generally if you know the lingo and what shops need they're much more flexible. They'll still slap a drawing like the above out of my hands because there are no defined tolerances. A machinist will get real mad if they ask you the tolerance and your reply is "exactly the nominal" or "just do the best you can".

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Slap a .01 axial and .01 radial concentricity all over everything, done

E; and surface your datum, jeebus

E2; datum that bore too

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 1, 2022

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I really need to quit working and go out to bike more :(

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I might be a brain genius. I wanted an all-rounder that would be beefy enough for the bike park. I was fine with a 27.5. I could not quite stomach the latest increases in price/scarcity, and every bike spec felt like a ripoff. I bought a Status 160 because the spec is such a good deal even though it's not great from climbing. It's actually fine, it's a modern enduro bike, it's fine for climbing. Then, I bought a slack-r and ran it in reverse to make the HT steeped, and put a 27.5 wheel on the front. The increased stack height under the head tube from the kit, and the increased HA completely negate the height drop from going from 29 to 27.5. Now it feels like a mid-travel trail bike, very similar to one of the old spectrals with 160/150 travel and a 66* HTA.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Is it still 29 rear?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

n8r posted:

Is it still 29 rear?

The Status is a factory mullet so it's 27.5 all around now

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Kind of surprised that part is not available through a trek dealer. Kona has tons of old drawings and parts available on their b2b.

Had an uphill race the other day and then short track next week, put on some super flimsy tires and got my bike a little lighter.

Might not be ideal for saturday xc though especially if it's wet. Should probably switch back to the racing ray/ralph combo despite it being most of a pound heavier.

Under 25lbs, not bad for a 120mm bike I suppose but I still want a new hardtail.

and one from last week

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 5, 2022

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My dumb rear end pulled the trigger on a bike rental in Eugene, OR this week before I checked the weather forecast. I haven't ridden all year due to a combination of illnesses and having an infant in the house.

I brought rain gear, but I might try to get a commuter e-bike to just cruise around and sightsee. If anyone knows the area and has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.

jamal posted:

Under 25lbs, not bad for a 120mm bike I suppose but I still want a new hardtail.

and one from last week

That bike looks like it would be a blast to ride! My only bike is a 2012 Scott Scale hardtail that is similar in weight (~24lbs). I finally just swapped the ancient 2.1 Maxxis Crossmark rear for a 2.2 Ikon. It flies up short punchy climbs and having new tires almost feels like cheating.

I'm currently road tripping from Austin to Keystone Colorado. We rode Palo Duro Canyon the first day and then headed to Angel Fire for my first ever lift access / downhill experience. Was very nervous on the lift up, knowing that I was about to better understand the limitations of my 100mm XC hardtail with outdated geometry. I'm used to riding chunk but not with so much speed. The brake bumps did a number of my bike, hands and feet. Riding without a dropper rattled my taint like I've never before experienced, even though I was doing my best to hold a high hinge. Stuck to the green lines and had a blast though!

We're currently staying in the Summit Cove area near Keystone Resort. Planning another 5 days of pushing my personal limits. About to take Soda Ridge up to Segment 6 of the Colorado trail and find out if I can handle the climbs. I would really love to head to Salida and hit the Monarch Crest trail and I guess this is my way of testing if that's a good idea.

I made a pretty extensive list of places I would like to check out while we are here, but if anyone has any specific recommendations for this area I would be very thankful. Down to drive 2-3 hours in any direction after checking out what's local.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Little early in the season for some of the higher up stuff to be dry yet. For example, I doubt Monarch is riding atm.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

That bike looks like it would be a blast to ride! My only bike is a 2012 Scott Scale hardtail that is similar in weight (~24lbs). I finally just swapped the ancient 2.1 Maxxis Crossmark rear for a 2.2 Ikon. It flies up short punchy climbs and having new tires almost feels like cheating.

I'm currently road tripping from Austin to Keystone Colorado. We rode Palo Duro Canyon the first day and then headed to Angel Fire for my first ever lift access / downhill experience. Was very nervous on the lift up, knowing that I was about to better understand the limitations of my 100mm XC hardtail with outdated geometry. I'm used to riding chunk but not with so much speed. The brake bumps did a number of my bike, hands and feet. Riding without a dropper rattled my taint like I've never before experienced, even though I was doing my best to hold a high hinge. Stuck to the green lines and had a blast though!

We're currently staying in the Summit Cove area near Keystone Resort. Planning another 5 days of pushing my personal limits. About to take Soda Ridge up to Segment 6 of the Colorado trail and find out if I can handle the climbs. I would really love to head to Salida and hit the Monarch Crest trail and I guess this is my way of testing if that's a good idea.

I made a pretty extensive list of places I would like to check out while we are here, but if anyone has any specific recommendations for this area I would be very thankful. Down to drive 2-3 hours in any direction after checking out what's local.

You are very likely to run into snow or really wet trail in summit county. We rode West Mag in Nederland on sunday and found snow as low as 9500'.

A few ideas though:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5691391/keystone-gulch-to-soda-creek-loop Great loop, start from where you are staying. I am going to guess you will run into snow, especially on the climb.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/68099/galena-gulch-to-colorado-trail-west-ridge Possible snow/wet. This is an update on May 15th: Bad / Closed May 15, 2022: Snowy, Icy, Fallen Trees - Galena Ditch and CT segment - wait until about mid-June. Thigh high snow at CT and 20+ fallen trees. Had to turn around and go back

That was before it snowed 2 more times...

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4054132/soda-park-loop This might now have snow? I usually skip the bike path part and cut through the neighborhood. You could also link it over to Sage Trail (https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7047828/sage-trail) and then go Buzztail to SRB.

Parking at the ice rink, riding up the road and then take bankers tank (https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5604071/bakers-tank-trail) down to Aspen Alley to Illinois creek. The road was still closed and covered in snow on May 28th though.

Park at Carter Park in Breck, Go up the trail to Moonstone to Juniata to Barney Ford to Barney Flow (lap this if you want) and down to the car. Maybe clear?

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6286187/breckenridge-flumes-loop Chill but fun, should be good on a HT and clear of snow.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5549156/side-door fun one to loop in somehow.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3587454/peaks-trail I don't love this trail but others really do (maybe they only shuttle it...). probably wet and snowy.

Closer to Denver:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7060612/floyd-hill-xc-loop

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6040893/alderferthree-sistersdedisse-tour There is a better loop than this but hard to explain.

You could go down to salida, lots to ride there. Monarch crest..probably no go but here are the latest updates I saw:
Minor Issues May 25, 2022: Dry, Some Mud — IGTV Viewer
Bad / Closed May 21, 2022: Muddy, Snowy — Marcel S

Further west:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4362647/pool-and-ice-rink-loop

New Castle has a really nice system now (https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7031737/stairway-to-heaven) just loop a bunch of that stuff.

You will be fine on the HT, not optimal but it is what you got. I rode my 2008 Trek 6500 on pretty much all these trails before I finally got a FS in 2019.

I MIGHT be riding in Summit on saturday but I also maybe have some unexpected family in town.

E: Also can't believe you rode Palo Duro Canyon. I used to be in Amarillo all the time for work and would go run there. Also seemed like it would be fun biking.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 7, 2022

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey is there a goon Strava group? I'd love to see where and how far you guys are riding. I live in the northeast and dream of rides out in Utah Colorado etc

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Cookie I have a 2013 Trek Marlin hard tail and adding a dropper post was life changing. Splurge and get the upgrade if you wanna keep riding the bike.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Hey is there a goon Strava group? I'd love to see where and how far you guys are riding. I live in the northeast and dream of rides out in Utah Colorado etc

https://www.strava.com/clubs/SAMTB

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

You are very likely to run into snow or really wet trail in summit county. We rode West Mag in Nederland on sunday and found snow as low as 9500'.

A few ideas though:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5691391/keystone-gulch-to-soda-creek-loop Great loop, start from where you are staying. I am going to guess you will run into snow, especially on the climb.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/68099/galena-gulch-to-colorado-trail-west-ridge Possible snow/wet. This is an update on May 15th: Bad / Closed May 15, 2022: Snowy, Icy, Fallen Trees - Galena Ditch and CT segment - wait until about mid-June. Thigh high snow at CT and 20+ fallen trees. Had to turn around and go back

That was before it snowed 2 more times...

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4054132/soda-park-loop This might now have snow? I usually skip the bike path part and cut through the neighborhood. You could also link it over to Sage Trail (https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7047828/sage-trail) and then go Buzztail to SRB.

Parking at the ice rink, riding up the road and then take bankers tank (https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5604071/bakers-tank-trail) down to Aspen Alley to Illinois creek. The road was still closed and covered in snow on May 28th though.

Park at Carter Park in Breck, Go up the trail to Moonstone to Juniata to Barney Ford to Barney Flow (lap this if you want) and down to the car. Maybe clear?

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6286187/breckenridge-flumes-loop Chill but fun, should be good on a HT and clear of snow.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5549156/side-door fun one to loop in somehow.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3587454/peaks-trail I don't love this trail but others really do (maybe they only shuttle it...). probably wet and snowy.

Closer to Denver:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7060612/floyd-hill-xc-loop

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6040893/alderferthree-sistersdedisse-tour There is a better loop than this but hard to explain.

You could go down to salida, lots to ride there. Monarch crest..probably no go but here are the latest updates I saw:
Minor Issues May 25, 2022: Dry, Some Mud — IGTV Viewer
Bad / Closed May 21, 2022: Muddy, Snowy — Marcel S

Further west:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4362647/pool-and-ice-rink-loop

New Castle has a really nice system now (https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7031737/stairway-to-heaven) just loop a bunch of that stuff.

You will be fine on the HT, not optimal but it is what you got. I rode my 2008 Trek 6500 on pretty much all these trails before I finally got a FS in 2019.

I MIGHT be riding in Summit on saturday but I also maybe have some unexpected family in town.

E: Also can't believe you rode Palo Duro Canyon. I used to be in Amarillo all the time for work and would go run there. Also seemed like it would be fun biking.

To add to these excellent recommendations, the Wildridge area near Avon is a wonderful trail network. And if you're going as far west as New Castle, Glenwood Springs has good stuff. Specifically the Wulfsohn trails for xc, South Canyon for fun and fast but overall mellow flow, and Grandstaff for a big ol' descent with tons of berms and small jumps.

I live just south of there in Basalt so if you head towards Glenwood, New Castle, or Gypsum/Eagle gimme a holler. I'm not very fast but I have ridden those trails many times and enjoy playing tour guide.

E to second that Monarch Crest is going to be so snowy as to be unridable. That's a July through October trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

My dumb rear end pulled the trigger on a bike rental in Eugene, OR this week before I checked the weather forecast. I haven't ridden all year due to a combination of illnesses and having an infant in the house.

I brought rain gear, but I might try to get a commuter e-bike to just cruise around and sightsee. If anyone knows the area and has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

So it ended up being sunny enough yesterday to ride, and I hit up Alsea Falls. It was pretty much straight up and down, but it was challenging enough for a guy who hasn't been on a trail in 6 months. I worked a 12 hour day today, but I'm hoping a combination of good weather and some free time tomorrow to ride another place around here.

Oregon is so loving beautiful, it's like a cheat code for amazing landscapes. I wish my wife had let us move out here a few years ago :sigh: