Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

They don't know poo poo. I mean, the usual thing is for him to do batches of 10 as that's a whole volume, but the tweets didn't see anything about that. The message said 'four chapters/eps for now'. Does that mean he intends to publish 4 chapters? Or that he had drawn already four chapter? We don't know.

It said four chapters left with a page with a six written on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

His tweet of a tree is actually pretty interesting because there ain’t no forests on that boat

https://twitter.com/un4v5s8bgsvk9xp/status/1529260655236091904?s=21

Didn't the portal the twin princes could make have trees in it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pigbuster posted:

His tweet of a tree is actually pretty interesting because there ain’t no forests on that boat

https://twitter.com/un4v5s8bgsvk9xp/status/1529260655236091904?s=21

How do you know? It's a big loving boat. :colbert:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Why would you even design a boat that big if you aren't planning to install some incongruous and very-expensive environments in it? What kind of backwards loving pageantry would that be?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there hasn't been anything particularly fantastical about the boat other than its size, destination, and occupants.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Could be a nen forest, or a flashback.

Ten chapters is better than I expected, though I am wondering why the last ten still haven't been republished in tankoban format.

Brought To You By posted:

Place your bets on which prince eats it this volume. I vote Tyson.
Tyson and Luzurus feel like safe bets, though I'm not sure how Camilla gets out of her current predicament. She can't be killed, but her captors know that, and she openly tried to assassinate Benjamin so they're not just letting her go. Of course her nen beast has yet to show its teeth, but the chapter where she got captured gave me the impression she didn't really have a Plan B.

Also, calling it now, Fugetsu lives long enough for her Kacho doppelganger to screw over that one guy whose ability is guessing what your ability is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

Could be a nen forest, or a flashback.

Ten chapters is better than I expected, though I am wondering why the last ten still haven't been republished in tankoban format.

Tyson and Luzurus feel like safe bets, though I'm not sure how Camilla gets out of her current predicament. She can't be killed, but her captors know that, and she openly tried to assassinate Benjamin so they're not just letting her go. Of course her nen beast has yet to show its teeth, but the chapter where she got captured gave me the impression she didn't really have a Plan B.

Also, calling it now, Fugetsu lives long enough for her Kacho doppelganger to screw over that one guy whose ability is guessing what your ability is.

Camilla has already been released and is just on probation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Welp. Been a while, hasn't it?

Guess I'll brush up on the last few chapters again.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
More specifically Benjamin and Camille are under house arrest in the VVIP section which is adjacent to the princes normal living quarters.
Halkenburg is being detained either in the VVIP section or probably in the Tier 2 justice complex pending his upcoming trial because of Vict's disappearance
Fuugetsu and Nencho are in the Tier 2 justice complex as well being interrogated for their escape attempt.
Maryam is in a pocket dimension having the time of his life with Biscuit.

All the other living princes are in their normal rooms

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

Fuugetsu and Nencho are in the Tier 2 justice complex as well being interrogated for their escape attempt.

They are also going to be kept there for as long as possible to keep them out of danger. Zhang Lei has apparently heard that Keicho’s body was found, and no one seems to be aware of Nu Keicho’s existence. (Possibly even Nu Keicho herself she might think she is the original). People will either think she’s alive, or generally assume that her death was a false report upon seeing the new one.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

I never knew togashi wanted to do a gay cross dressing sports series before level E

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

the real question is did he finally hire an assistant

He’s always had assistants

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
OK I didn’t know where else to post this, but I just finished season 3 of YuYu Hakusho (I’ve been binging for the past 2 weeks or so) and maybe someone here can make things make sense.

Season 1, super enjoyable, a really cool relationship-driven story. Scrappy 80s Japanese hoodlum with a heart of gold who makes unlikely friends. A healthy amount of anime fighting cliches for sure — protagonist is drawing his last breath, then he sees a loved one getting hurt, he gets mad and rises up again!! — but even so the fights stay fun and complement the growing relationships between the characters.

Season 2, the renowned and beloved tournament arc I’ve heard so much about. I won’t lie and say that I didn’t find it a bit overrated, but despite its almost total focus on fighting I still liked it fine! Young Toguro’s a great villain and his characterization ended up being way deeper than I expected. The protags’ growth also felt well-earned and hard-fought.

And then Season 3. For soooo much of this season I was all “holy poo poo. THIS is the story Togashi wanted to tell from the start!!” The territories concept explicitly made fights less about DBZ power levels and more about intellect. How will Yusuke and team pit their abilities against the bad guys? Oh and the bad guy is an old spirit realm detective?? There’s a tape with humanity’s most heinous crimes and it’s radicalizing people?!? (Seaman’s breakdown was truly heartbreaking).

As the season progressed, a few stumbles; like ok hm we don’t seem to be using the new guys and their abilities very much…Sniper’s ability prolly shouldn’t be able to power a truck…Gamemaster’s fight both was silly AND neglected to use Kaito’s taboo word ability (IDK, could have used knowledge of the video game to set a trap)…

…but hey whatever, Elder Toguro is back! And his fight’s conclusion was actually pretty smart and interesting! I also don’t mind that Sensui is split into 7 personalities; problematic and cheesy in the way 90s media can often be, but in a sense it’s a dark reflection of what the protagonists have to do: find a way to collectively unite and fight as one unit. After all, the show is about how we draw immense power from our closest relationships, so it makes sense to also say we’re at our best when we fight alongside our friends. When Yusuke essentially sacrifices himself, I figured we’d get something along those lines; Kuwabara, Kurama, and Hiei super mad but using their brains to outlast Sensui until Puu or something revives Yusuke, to get the full squad working together as a team and finally beat Sensui. And hey, there's this lake with all this water; maybe Seaman will use his water-based ability to somehow throw the fight back in the good guys' favor. Or Copy guy becomes one of the other personalities and psychs Sensui out somehow. Maybe Shadow guy steps on a shadow. Something to get more people into the mix!

But instead, Yusuke just ends up being part demon. And yep, of course he’s S-class (a new power ranking system introduced in this season for the first time). There’s absolutely no tension in the resulting fight. Some weird interesting stuff with the spirit realm police or whatever, but ultimately this is just “Yusuke had another form lol and he wins ez pz! 🤗”

Cheapens the character and show by a staggering amount, and was super unsatisfying in a way that makes me wonder if Togashi was forced to give Yusuke a Super Saiyan equivalent or something. Seemingly goes against the whole idea of introducing territories at all and the season’s upfront themes about trusting your friends, trusting your fellow man, etc. Open to any thoughts that can reframe for me because I hated this.

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 1, 2022

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jay-V posted:

OK I didn’t know where else to post this, but I just finished season 3 of YuYu Hakusho (I’ve been binging for the past 2 weeks or so) and maybe someone here can make things make sense.

Season 1, super enjoyable, a really cool relationship-driven story. Scrappy 80s Japanese hoodlum with a heart of gold who makes unlikely friends. A healthy amount of anime fighting cliches for sure — protagonist is drawing his last breath, then he sees a loved one getting hurt, he gets mad and rises up again!! — but even so the fights stay fun and complement the growing relationships between the characters.

Season 2, the renowned and beloved tournament arc I’ve heard so much about. I won’t lie and say that I didn’t find it a bit overrated, but despite its almost total focus on fighting I still liked it fine! Young Toguro’s a great villain and his characterization ended up being way deeper than I expected. The protags’ growth also felt well-earned and hard-fought.

And then Season 3. For soooo much of this season I was all “holy poo poo. THIS is the story Togashi wanted to tell from the start!!” The territories concept explicitly made fights less about DBZ power levels and more about intellect. How will Yusuke and team pit their abilities against the bad guys? Oh and the bad guy is an old spirit realm detective?? There’s a tape with humanity’s most heinous crimes and it’s radicalizing people?!? (Seaman’s breakdown was truly heartbreaking).

As the season progressed, a few stumbles; like ok hm we don’t seem to be using the new guys and their abilities very much…Sniper’s ability prolly shouldn’t be able to power a truck…Gamemaster’s fight both was silly AND neglected to use Kaito’s taboo word ability (IDK, could have used knowledge of the video game to set a trap)…

…but hey whatever, Elder Toguro is back! And his fight’s conclusion was actually pretty smart and interesting! I also don’t mind that Sensui is split into 7 personalities; problematic and cheesy in the way 90s media can often be, but in a sense it’s a dark reflection of what the protagonists have to do: find a way to collectively unite and fight as one unit. After all, the show is about how we draw immense power from our closest relationships, so it makes sense to also say we’re at our best when we fight alongside our friends. When Yusuke essentially sacrifices himself, I figured we’d get something along those lines; Kuwabara, Kurama, and Hiei super mad but using their brains to outlast Sensui until Puu or something revives Yusuke, to get the full squad working together as a team and finally beat Sensui. And hey, there's this lake with all this water; maybe Seaman will use his water-based ability to somehow throw the fight back in the good guys' favor. Or Copy guy becomes one of the other personalities and psychs Sensui out somehow. Maybe Shadow guy steps on a shadow. Something to get more people into the mix!

But instead, Yusuke just ends up being part demon. And yep, of course he’s S-class (a new power ranking system introduced in this season for the first time). There’s absolutely no tension in the resulting fight. Some weird interesting stuff with the spirit realm police or whatever, but ultimately this is just “Yusuke had another form lol and he wins ez pz! 🤗”

Cheapens the character and show by a staggering amount, and was super unsatisfying in a way that makes me wonder if Togashi was forced to give Yusuke a Super Saiyan equivalent or something. Seemingly goes against the whole idea of introducing territories at all and the season’s upfront themes about trusting your friends, trusting your fellow man, etc. Open to any thoughts that can reframe for me because I hated this.

Yes it was a hook for the next part of the story that he didn't really want to do

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp/status/1531834543920951296

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Jay-V posted:

Togashi was basically imprisoned against his will in a hotel by his editor for the parts you don't like. He doesn't like them either, he just wanted to be let out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

IIRC, Togashi's original editor was so abusive, the extremely generous terms of his current contract (which allows him such luxuries as taking off years at a time due to health concerns) were approved by Shounen Jump as an apology, "Please don't sue us," or some-such arrangement.

That's the rumor, at least. If someone here knows better, I am willing to be enlightened.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Doesn't he own all the rights to HunterXHunter too?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't think we're ever gonna truly know what's going on except for his bad health and that despite everything the hype is clearly still there. Vol 36 came out back in 2019 and sold nearly a million copies, nothing for three years and then single tweet gets a million likes and 2mil followers.

I'd just be interested to know if new people still pick up HxH though or at this point is it all old fans.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean he/his series is at a point that the magazine can just run it whenever he has anything of it and guarantee interest, plus i think ongoing merch etc sales are ok. you can do worse than let the man have his hiatuses

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Took you 4 years to draw a couple squiggles? I could do that in a couple seconds.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Pewdiepie posted:

Took you 4 years to draw a couple squiggles? I could do that in a couple seconds.

The art is stronger when you impose a condition

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

"If I exceed a text-to-art ratio of 1:5 per chapter, my back will break"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever wondered about the guy who originally came up with the "Indoor Fish" nen ability?
I bet he was fun to party with

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Pierson posted:

I don't think we're ever gonna truly know what's going on except for his bad health and that despite everything the hype is clearly still there. Vol 36 came out back in 2019 and sold nearly a million copies, nothing for three years and then single tweet gets a million likes and 2mil followers.

I'd just be interested to know if new people still pick up HxH though or at this point is it all old fans.

I still see a lot of college students wearing hunter x hunter shirts, and my 13 year old nephew just picked the series up this year. Just an anecdote, but that’s been my experience.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mighty Eris posted:

I still see a lot of college students wearing hunter x hunter shirts, and my 13 year old nephew just picked the series up this year. Just an anecdote, but that’s been my experience.

HxH anime clips have millions and millions of views on YouTube and are just below standard selection for teen/early 20s anime streamers/reactors

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm thinking HxH is probably way more popular than you think it is, you just don't see people talking about it because of the years of hiatus.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The flame still burns

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mdct posted:

I'm thinking HxH is probably way more popular than you think it is, you just don't see people talking about it because of the years of hiatus.

My 11 year old niece and her friends are watching it and you can pick up posters for it in Wal-Mart

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder what it is about HxH that sticks with people despite the hiatus.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its good, op

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

its good, op

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

It is absurdly conaistantly good and creative in a way few other manga are.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Bugman romance.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Also visually the 2011 anime doesn't feel that dated

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

It is absurdly consistently good and creative in a way few other manga are.
I tried to think of an answer but yeah this basically for me, and every arc is creative in different ways. I don't think there's a single one without something interesting happening or someone cool turning up.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

its good, op

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

My 11 year old niece and her friends are watching it and you can pick up posters for it in Wal-Mart

I teach 6th grade and any kids that watch anime have watched hunter x hunter. I think many people have their kids watch it because its really really good.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I honestly just think it's incredibly well written for manga and very much enjoy re-reading it. I can honestly say I occasionally learn new things when I come back to the story as well, especially the current arc.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Has anyone ever wondered about the guy who originally came up with the "Indoor Fish" nen ability?
I bet he was fun to party with
I did when I learned about Shoot's ability because of the similarity in taking parts off a person but not automatically creating a wound. But the indoor fish guy is an absolute sadist, you aren't getting anything the fish eat and you're going to stay alive and aware as they feed since you don't feel any pain. The fish don't seem like Barracudas where they are fast and darting around. It seems like a pretty leisurely ability that would be used much like Chrollo did, against someone restrained or crippled. Makes me wonder if the reason they only exist in a sealed room is the same reason why Chrollo used it in an elevator. A kind of thrill knowing the simplest action will cause all that damage to instantly manifest if there's anything of the person not eaten by that time. And I do wonder if there couldn't be a clause to have the stuff the fish eat leave with them, like Shizuku's vacuum cleaner. Maybe the guy likes the mess, maybe that was also part of his torture, constantly having his fish eat bits of a guy then he sends them away. Lets the person feel and see what's gone before closing the window and starting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

Also visually the 2011 anime doesn't feel that dated

I got into Hunter X Hunter with the anime and didn’t realize it started in like freaking 2011 until I heard people calling it that to distance it from the old 90’s anime (partly because the whole series wasn’t available to purchase until early 2020) so yeah, poo poo looks good.

Also the anime is pretty accessible, besides Crunchyroll you can watch it on Netflix and iirc HBO’s streaming service thing too.