Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

At least part of the reason Reddit is so dire is because account creation is free and doesn't require email verification to post. So banning isn't worth it on Reddit because they'll just load up 10minutemail again and make another account. And another, and another, and another. It disincentives banning because the only thing banning actually does is remove the history of their posts and make it even harder for law enforcement to track something actionable.

No moderation action that Reddit can take against subreddits matters because someone can just make fresh accounts and verify their second protonmail account and make r/terfpiss2.0 or whatever bullshit and carry on doing the same thing there instead.

SA's price on entry is actually genius because in the case of heinous people you have a tangible financial punishment, and the money and the likelihood of a reregister incentivises quick permabans so they will reregister to finish what they were arguing about, and end up donating / losing a shitton of money to the site lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The biggest value of subreddits for spreading your terf piss values is just the visibility and network effects etc, so even if you can't stop people from recreating it banning is still helpful. It means you end up with a bunch of random tiny 100-member hate communities that the admins haven't stomped on yet instead of one 100,000 member community that keeps growing and radicalizing new peeps or whatever

Of course that's only when the admins actually get off their asses and do something, which is pretty rare and usually only happens when some big article surfaces about one of the giant unmoderated hate communities that makes them look bad.

E.G. here's an article from July 2015 about a blatant white supremacist subreddit that had survived their latest purge (after banning fatpeoplehate etc)

And the article mentions that Reddit CEO Steve Huffman specifically mentions the board and specifically calls out deciding not to ban it.

(cw racism):

quote:

CoonTown persisted. Why? Huffman tried to explain, making quite the legalistic distinction.

“We’ll consider banning subreddits that clearly violate the guidelines in my post — the ones that are illegal or cause harm to others,” he wrote. “There are many subreddits whose contents I and many others find offensive, but that alone is not justification for banning. /r/rapingwomen will be banned. They are encouraging people to rape. /r/coontown will be reclassified. The content there is offensive to many, but does not violate our current rules for banning.”

CoonTown’s surprise at its survival didn’t prevent celebration.

“It was a rare double-loss for n—ers today,” read one thread. “First they found out /r/Coontown would remain. Second, they found /r/RapingWomen was to be removed.”

According to the internet archive the subreddit was actually banned for real by the beginning of August 2015, so almost immediately after the article came out.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 1, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What I learned from my 2 whole days is that I could create a Reddit for pigs, become the all seeing admin, create a guide and official FAQ with rules that say any post that disagrees with me can be removed, and I know gently caress all about pigs.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Also downvotes are an actual curse/actually incredibly dangerous like “please don’t house your animal inside a fire hazard” -7, like these dumb dumb motherfuckers will try and hide anything not agreeing with the hive mind because some groverhouse shitheel was terribly offended that someone told them the truth about animal welfare and home insurance.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The 100 user subreddits aren't really any better than the 100,000 user ones because if the latter are a pool full of turds then the former are that turd water distilled down to a thick brown syrup

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It kept trying to get me, someone who had subbed to snake and only snake subreddits, to go on x2chromasomes whatever nope nope nope terfy bollocks that was.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

alexandriao posted:

SA's price on entry is actually genius because in the case of heinous people you have a tangible financial punishment, and the money and the likelihood of a reregister incentivises quick permabans so they will reregister to finish what they were arguing about, and end up donating / losing a shitton of money to the site lol

The best thing about the :10bux: entry fee is that it's cheap enough to not discourage anyone who wants to participate, but just expensive enough to discourage people who just want to be assholes.

learnincurve posted:

It kept trying to get me, someone who had subbed to snake and only snake subreddits, to go on x2chromasomes whatever nope nope nope terfy bollocks that was.

Edit: thought better of it.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 1, 2022

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

so an anime was posted only on something awful and then was put behind a paywall and it wasn’t available anywhere else so people got mad?

Dangan Ronpa was a visual novel videogame that was at the time a Japan exclusive, but a forum member took it on themselves to do a screenshot LP, translating the game as they went. At the time it was the only English translation of the game, and because the story/characters/anime/etc, it was basically catnip to a specific Tumblr crowd circa 2015 so they immediately started obsessing over it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bargearse posted:

feminist subreddits like [...] /r/femaledatingstrategy

:thunk:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Bargearse posted:

Yeah even the feminist subreddits like /r/twoxchromosomes and /r/femaledatingstrategy have quite a few members who don't actually give a poo poo about equality,

:allears:

It’s coming from inside the thread again!

Two xx and fds are totally different user bases and two xx is relatively very well moderated, actually feminist, and keeps terf poo poo out, fds is an insane genderswapped theredpill/mra and absolutely hateful. The only problem two xx has is that it’s a huge subreddit so when their threads hit the front page trolls show up and send hate DMs to the OP that the mods can’t stop.

Only a complete loving moron or more some MRA in obviously bad faith would try to equivocate the two.

In conclusion, you’d probably find Reddit more welcoming you mouthbreathing dipshit.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Yeah why would anyone think a feminist community called "two x chromosomes" is terfy

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 1, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Yeah why would anyone think a feminist community called "two x chromosomes" is terfy

Despite the name it’s definitely not. Someone who says they’re active on Reddit trying to equivocate it with Femaledatingstrategy is trolling or has somehow not actually looked at it ever. It’s just “feminism is when women make a place to moderate out hateful incel comments” is my guess.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

These last few pages are making me want to go to Reddit for less insane posts.

FDS referred to as feminists, enjoying suicide subreddits. WTF.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

is there lead paint on the walls of this thread or what

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Of course not! We ate it all

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

alexandriao posted:

At least part of the reason Reddit is so dire is because account creation is free and doesn't require email verification to post. So banning isn't worth it on Reddit because they'll just load up 10minutemail again and make another account. And another, and another, and another. It disincentives banning because the only thing banning actually does is remove the history of their posts and make it even harder for law enforcement to track something actionable.

No moderation action that Reddit can take against subreddits matters because someone can just make fresh accounts and verify their second protonmail account and make r/terfpiss2.0 or whatever bullshit and carry on doing the same thing there instead.

Everyone had a lot of fun with my last post but basically what happened is that I got shadowbanned. It looks like the way to achieve that is posting one of blacklisted links it considers spam. You get no indication of it happening, but nobody can see the posts any more and chat presumably also gets disabled. Of course posting horrible opinions isn't bannble :)

But, as you say, it doesn't matter since you can just make another account. Just weird that the one weird trick to getting consequences is posting a link like this in a sub dedicated to discussing things like that.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Reddit is also wayyyyyyy better now than it was in the earlier 20-teens. In that it was lusting over teens and the only rule that was enforced was “brigading” so basically almost subs dedicated to calling anything out as hosed up including very open violent racism or pedophilia was banned or had to go through an elaborate song and dance and enforce rules strictly on their own members to prove they weren’t “brigading.” Even after they finally banned jailbait they allowed openly racist trolls free reign until pretty recently. I think r/altright only got banned in 2018ish.

idk man, seems like reddit still has a big problem with garbage people making gross subreddits. i mean SrGrafo is posting his underage anime girl poo poo still, and i'm sure there are still a bunch of white power subreddits lurking under the surface.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

idk man, seems like reddit still has a big problem with garbage people making gross subreddits. i mean SrGrafo is posting his underage anime girl poo poo still, and i'm sure there are still a bunch of white power subreddits lurking under the surface.

Yes, it sure does! My point was that it was even more awful not that long ago.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

r/walkaway is the worst internet shithole I have seen in years

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i posit that reddit has always been awful

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

reddit is great if you want to find out something about a videogame but don't want to watch some crappy youtube video to get to the 20 secs of info you need.

that is all that it's good for, and even then the reddit search is so poo poo that you're best to just add reddit to the end of a google search

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Reddit is a really good place if you are interested in something and want really bad advice from complete idiots.

So, it's a lot like SomethingAwful, but with more memes (making SomethingAwful a bit better).

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Extra Large Marge posted:

Reddit is a really good place if you are interested in something and want really bad advice from complete idiots.

So, it's a lot like SomethingAwful, but with more memes (making SomethingAwful a bit better).

One thing that makes Reddit unbearable for me compared to SA is the up/downvote stuff. It leads to people endlessly reposting the same poo poo to get those precious upvotes. Any even mildly amusing clip is going to be posted a million times.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Hedenius posted:

One thing that makes Reddit unbearable for me compared to SA is the up/downvote stuff. It leads to people endlessly reposting the same poo poo to get those precious upvotes. Any even mildly amusing clip is going to be posted a million times.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Hedenius posted:

🔺

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s good as a sort of more informal stack overflow in that it allows a volume of varying quality technical problems and solutions in a searchable way and active enough you’ll often get a quick answer. It’s a horrible structure for discussion of anything controversial and super vulnerable to manipulation for political or financial purposes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hedenius posted:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s good as a sort of more informal stack overflow in that it allows a volume of varying quality technical problems and solutions in a searchable way and active enough you’ll often get a quick answer. It’s a horrible structure for discussion of anything controversial and super vulnerable to manipulation for political or financial purposes

While here the worst is someone might tell you to turn on your monitor or post that picture of Krusty the Clown

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

alexandriao posted:

Having been on both sides of this, this analysis is absolutely spot on. People see accounts as an investment and behave accordingly

I will say, however, permabans are not quick unless it's a completely egregious violation of the rules or a re-reg. Those are taken absolutely seriously, but the $10 donation that permabanned users give each time they register again is pretty helpful!

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Kinda funny, some of these dorks will spend perhaps dozens of dollars to buy super-upvotes to whatever dumbass "DAE le bideogames" post they see, but 10bux is a bridge too far.

It's a phenomenon I'm not immune to either. Sometimes I'll hem and haw over a like a fifty cent difference in price at a store, or some cheap product that might measurably improve my life. Then a buddy will ask if I want to grab a pint after work and then whoopsie $120 later on almost literally nothing without batting an eye. Its even funnier when it's an app I could use for work that costs literally $0.99 on the app store, and it would only have to save me like 2 minutes out of a day to pay for itself, but I'll grumble about it being too expensive and just struggle instead.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think they just might be addicted to the validation that upvotes bring.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Smoking crack feels way better than getting upvotes.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Getting an upvote is like the palest imitation of seeing your text against a purple background (or yellow if you don't use dark mode in the app). Like a drop of methodone compared to mainlining heroin. That's why Reddit can't compare to SA. It's literally weaksauce by comparison

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Admiralty Flag posted:

Getting an upvote is like the palest imitation of seeing your text against a purple background (or yellow if you don't use dark mode in the app). Like a drop of methodone compared to mainlining heroin. That's why Reddit can't compare to SA. It's literally weaksauce by comparison

I'm gonna ruin this man's whole pants drawer

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
:10bux: is worth it for the yearly SA Xmas album thread alone. You don't see that kind of collaboration on Reddit... ever.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

reddit is great if you want to find out something about a videogame but don't want to watch some crappy youtube video to get to the 20 secs of info you need.

that is all that it's good for, and even then the reddit search is so poo poo that you're best to just add reddit to the end of a google search

This is essentially all I've ever used reddit for. Random video game question google searches where reddit is at the top of the list. I've never gone into reddit specifically for any sort of information.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

At some point reddit officially overtook abandoned forums from the early 2000s as the place that would show up when I Googled stuff and that's the only reason I ever see it

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

:allears:

It’s coming from inside the thread again!

Two xx and fds are totally different user bases and two xx is relatively very well moderated, actually feminist, and keeps terf poo poo out, fds is an insane genderswapped theredpill/mra and absolutely hateful. The only problem two xx has is that it’s a huge subreddit so when their threads hit the front page trolls show up and send hate DMs to the OP that the mods can’t stop.

Only a complete loving moron or more some MRA in obviously bad faith would try to equivocate the two.

In conclusion, you’d probably find Reddit more welcoming you mouthbreathing dipshit.

So I just spent some time browsing /r/twoxchromosomes, and you’re right, that was a massively neckbearded thing for me to say.

I hadn’t been to either one in ages and based my post off a couple of things I kind of vaguely half remembered.

edit: so yeah that’s easily one of the stupidest things I’ve ever said and I’d take it back without reservation but I guess there’s no fishing that turd out of the punchbowl now.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 1, 2022

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Bargearse posted:

So I just spent some time browsing /r/twoxchromosomes, and you’re right, that was a massively neckbearded thing for me to say.

I hadn’t been to either one in ages and based my post off a couple of things I kind of vaguely half remembered.

edit: so yeah that’s easily one of the stupidest things I’ve ever said and I’d take it back without reservation but I guess there’s no fishing that turd out of the punchbowl now.

Who's stupider? The one that misremembered a subreddit or the subreddit expert? :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Having been on both sides of this, this analysis is absolutely spot on. People see accounts as an investment and behave accordingly

I will say, however, permabans are not quick unless it's a completely egregious violation of the rules or a re-reg. Those are taken absolutely seriously, but the $10 donation that permabanned users give each time they register again is pretty helpful!

My regdate spans 3 decades and is thus very valuable