Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wolfsheim posted:

I just recently watched Darkman for a podcast thing and I wouldn't say it's better than Evil Dead 2 (peak Raimi imho) but him snarling "take the loving elephant!!!" at Frances McDormand was stuck in my head for days afterwards

I still say "That would be....just fine" without even realizing where it's from heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

I still say "That would be....just fine" without even realizing where it's from heh.

haha holy poo poo me too

there are like ten lines from that movie that live in my head rent free

"I'm learning to live with a LOT of things..."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RgI1yH2_ys

Its true and she should say it :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oh god gently caress you for linking a sarah z video without warning

:nms: that poo poo

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

binge watching owns

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly so many classic Darkman moments. Him flying from the explosion kills me every time.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Google Butt posted:

binge watching owns

I prefer minge watching tbh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Collateral posted:

I prefer minge watching tbh.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Modern Leper posted:

RRR is a loving blast, and as ridiculous as anything you've heard about it, but it definitely also does as much for Hindu nationalism as Top Gun did for the Navy.

So do you mean like Indian Sovereignty or the Hindu Nationalism espoused by the current President of India?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

precision posted:

oh god gently caress you for linking a sarah z video without warning

:nms: that poo poo

She's too innocuous to feel strongly about either way???

But she's right about binging being bad

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wolfsheim posted:

I just recently watched Darkman for a podcast thing and I wouldn't say it's better than Evil Dead 2 (peak Raimi imho) but him snarling "take the loving elephant!!!" at Frances McDormand was stuck in my head for days afterwards

Ohhhh now I know what movie y’all are talking about lmao. I loved that movie

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So do you mean like Indian Sovereignty or the Hindu Nationalism espoused by the current President of India?

The movie is explicitly... inspired by the former, but by acting as an Elseworlds hagiography of actual historical figures, it also serves as the latter.

I was gonna use the term Hindutva, but that's only based on the cultural markers that I would ignorantly characterize as "Indian"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

She's too innocuous to feel strongly about either way???

But she's right about binging being bad

i don't wanna do a whole big tangent, but i definitely don't find that kind of late-stage capitalist hellblogging "innocuous"

in fact, people thinking that stuff is innocuous and not unhealthy is one of the main things that's so bad about it!

i don't know how to explain the difference, to me, between something like Folding Ideas or Jenny Nicholson and Sarah Z, all i know is that the former seem fine to me while the latter sorts are way too... terminally internetted or something

like, as an illustration, it feels like sarah zed is the sort of person who spends all day reading twitter and saying things like "oh god, i hate twitter so much", it feels like she might be the sort of person for whom media addiction is a real thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
though, stopped clock and all, i agree that you usually shouldn't binge shows, but i mean, i think that you also shouldn't watch 45 minute videos telling you not to binge

just do whatever makes you happy, and importantly, look at the poo poo you do a lot more critically so that u don't waste so much time on stuff you "hate" or w/e

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

veni veni veni posted:

I haven’t seen dragged across concrete but his other two movies own, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it also owned. Really couldn’t care less if S Craig Zahler might be a republican or whatever people are always whining about.
https://www.abdulymalik.com/writing/dragged-across-concrete-and-the-new-topography-of-fascism

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

precision posted:

i don't wanna do a whole big tangent, but i definitely don't find that kind of late-stage capitalist hellblogging "innocuous"

in fact, people thinking that stuff is innocuous and not unhealthy is one of the main things that's so bad about it!

i don't know how to explain the difference, to me, between something like Folding Ideas or Jenny Nicholson and Sarah Z, all i know is that the former seem fine to me while the latter sorts are way too... terminally internetted or something

like, as an illustration, it feels like sarah zed is the sort of person who spends all day reading twitter and saying things like "oh god, i hate twitter so much", it feels like she might be the sort of person for whom media addiction is a real thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
speaking of old people, Club Random is on youtube, because of course it's free, who would pay for that poo poo, and it's... jesus, it's so much lamer than i even imagined it could be. you really have to see it to see how bad it is

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
The only Zahler film I have seen is Bone Tomahawk and I don’t understand how anyone could watch it and have a reaction other than “Wow, that was really loving racist. This is definitely a writer/director I should never pay any attention to ever again.” I feel leery about some actors I like and respect for even agreeing to be in it.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Thanks to everyone who mentioned Undone a while back. That was a real...experience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brocktoon posted:

The only Zahler film I have seen is Bone Tomahawk and I don’t understand how anyone could watch it and have a reaction other than “Wow, that was really loving racist.

people do not always agree with every character they write. do you really "not understand" that or are you just exaggerating for effect

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

precision posted:

people do not always agree with every character they write. do you really "not understand" that or are you just exaggerating for effect

I am not even referring to a single character, I’m talking about the movie as a whole, the entire loving premise. A bunch of white guys in the old west who go save a white woman from savage subhuman indigenous dwellers, but it’s okay because there’s one native person who shows up for literally 10 seconds to say “yeah, they’re monsters not like us”, and that makes the entire movie focusing on how these white men are taming the west against these savage monsters totally not racist. gently caress all the way off with that poo poo.

There’s also been multiple posts in this very thread about how the politics Zahler puts into his character’s mouths align with his personal beliefs!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
People don't "necessarily" agree with the characters they "write" or believe "the situations" they create are "real" or that "words and" ideas have meaning or when "the" premise of a movie is horrific cannibal native americans that happen to fit racial stereotypes that it "indicates" they "kind of agree" with those stereotypes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
For real though wasn't there a whole thing with Zahler working with those ghouls at PJ media?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I thought the premise for Bone Tomahawk was great, and I stole it for a D&D adventure. I made them gnolls and just had them take over an isolated outpost (a Keep On the Borderlands, if you will) instead of a damsel in distress situation.

To be honest I didn't think it was some kind of slam on Native Americans any more than Deliverance's feral hillbillies were a slam on rural whites, but times change I guess.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 1, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brocktoon posted:

I am not even referring to a single character, I’m talking about the movie as a whole, the entire loving premise. A bunch of white guys in the old west who go save a white woman from savage subhuman indigenous dwellers, but it’s okay because there’s one native person who shows up for literally 10 seconds to say “yeah, they’re monsters not like us”, and that makes the entire movie focusing on how these white men are taming the west against these savage monsters totally not racist. gently caress all the way off with that poo poo.

right but do you literally "not understand" people who disagree with this reading?

do you think Deliverance was racist against white Southerners?

do you think I Spit On Your Grave is misandrist????

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

To be honest I didn't think it was some kind of slam on Native Americans any more than Deliverance's feral hillbillies were a slam on rural whites, but times change I guess.

right i mean, it might be, but i'm so tired of media about media about media which only discusses everything in terms of "THING has OBJECTIVELY AWFUL MESSAGE, is LITERAL HITLER"

doesn't anyone ever get tired of only holding the most extreme loving opinion on everything, jesus

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

precision posted:

right i mean, it might be, but i'm so tired of media about media about media which only discusses everything in terms of "THING has OBJECTIVELY AWFUL MESSAGE, is LITERAL HITLER"

doesn't anyone ever get tired of only holding the most extreme loving opinion on everything, jesus

I suspect you're just getting tired of the mind virus that's been going around for a while on the 'Net that the "correct thing" to believe is easy and simple and anyone can see it and there's no debate at all and if you don't buy into it you're a degenerate.

Social media has basically made everyone into an evangelical mindset (I include myself, but I'm trying to fight it - and I've given up most social media). It's a pretty wild thing to live through.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Being outraged all the time just sounds utterly exhausting and not conducive to good mental health.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
every now and then YouTube will recommend me the kind of video i used to enjoy and i will recoil in horror and wonder how i ever could stand it

something like "someone talking about Tumblr drama for 2 hours" or the aforementioned Sarah Zed. people who are so deep in the media that you suspect it's kind of all they ever think about?

and you know, it's funny when i say that and someone inevitablly replies with some kind of "lmao you're just old" thing, but... nah that ain't it hoss. like i said, i used to understand and enjoy all this stupid poo poo too, even as recently as like, last year. trust me when i say that when you stop paying attention to it, the whole world changes.

something i've had to come to terms with, that i wish more people would, is that "whatever you think about all day, is what the universe seems to you to be composed of"

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Being outraged all the time just sounds utterly exhausting and not conducive to good mental health.

What about being outraged all the time about people being outraged?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Brocktoon posted:

What about being outraged all the time about people being outraged?

Instead of deflecting, why don't you answer precision's questions?

precision posted:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

precision posted:

right but do you literally "not understand" people who disagree with this reading?

I can't comment on movies I haven't seen.

But I have seen Bone Tomahawk, and yes, I cannot fathom why anyone would excuse the movie's racism and come away with "this is cool and good and I want to see more of that this filmmaker has to say."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think Deliverance was racist against white southerners per se but I do think it has some less than flattering things to say about hillbillies, and I don't think white southerners are really oppressed on the level of indigenous Americans.

edit fwiw I enjoyed Bone Tomahawk fine and excused it as a sort of intentional schlock angle, and took that line about "these aren't Indians, these are monsters" in good faith. It was when the director started making other movies that all had this real hard right angle and also the movie about cool literal nazis hunting down minorities that I reevaluated it

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Brocktoon posted:

I can't comment on movies I haven't seen.

But I have seen Bone Tomahawk, and yes, I cannot fathom why anyone would excuse the movie's racism and come away with "this is cool and good and I want to see more of that this filmmaker has to say."

This will sound like a fake question but I am honestly interested in your reply: do you think there is or can be any value in works of art whose worldview you don't agree with? Really think about it.

Or to put it another way, is there a difference between art appreciation and the personal enjoyment of art? Does all willing consumption of art amount to an endorsement of it?

These are imo profound questions that I wrestle with, well into my 5th decade. I'm suspicious of anyone with a facile answer to these questions. But that's me, and maybe I'm wrong.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

This will sound like a fake question but I am honestly interested in your reply: do you think there is or can be any value in works of art whose worldview you don't agree with? Really think about it.

Or to put it another way, is there a difference between art appreciation and the personal enjoyment of art? Does all willing consumption of art amount to an endorsement of it?

These are imo profound questions that I wrestle with, well into my 5th decade. I'm suspicious of anyone with a facile answer to these questions. But that's me, and maybe I'm wrong.

Absolutely, and I wrestle with it as well, well into my 4th decade.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I take that back, all movies outrage me and should be cancelled. I am an outrage machine. I am fueled by outrage and Sarah Z videos.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brocktoon posted:

I take that back, all movies outrage me and should be cancelled. I am an outrage machine. I am fueled by outrage and Sarah Z videos.

settle down, beavis lmao

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

precision posted:

settle down, beavis lmao

I can’t. Too outraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sure, I mean after all there are *checks notes* videos of girls talking about things on the internet.