Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Yeah, a lot NATO "cheapskating" probably got a pass until now because the countries offered something else that raising a stink over military spending wasn't worth jeopardizing, like US bases in strategically important places (*cough* Greenland *cough*)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I know that it was Trump's like one foreign policy deal, threatening to leave NATO if the rest of the alliance didn't start paying their fair share. Now, I doubt this was an organic thought on his part and probably came from, oh, who can possibly say, but it is ironic that it's happening after he left office but only because his creditor decided to conduct a program of extreme NATO bolstering.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

zoux posted:

Well I know that it was Trump's like one foreign policy deal, threatening to leave NATO if the rest of the alliance didn't start paying their fair share. Now, I doubt this was an organic thought on his part and probably came from, oh, who can possibly say, but it is ironic that it's happening after he left office but only because his creditor decided to conduct a program of extreme NATO bolstering.

It is my firm belief he never understood that 2% spending is money that countries spend on themselves, not into NATO (=US) pockets.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Xakura posted:

It is my firm belief he never understood that 2% spending is money that countries spend on themselves, not into NATO (=US) pockets.

I'd buy it. It's the same blithering idiot that spent 4 years studiously ignoring everyone, everywhere, constantly explaining how stupid, dumb, and wrong he was about how tariffs work.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah he wanted NATO members to pay NATO. Powerful smoothbrains.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xakura posted:

Like I said, I don't think it was his idea.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

zoux posted:

Not the only foreign policy deal, there was also withholding military aid to Ukraine to coerce them to manufacture evidence on Hunter Biden.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Slashrat posted:

Yeah, a lot NATO "cheapskating" probably got a pass until now because the countries offered something else that raising a stink over military spending wasn't worth jeopardizing, like US bases in strategically important places (*cough* Greenland *cough*)

An interesting part of the Ukraine War has been learning how badly Germany has been letting their forces decay. Not expecting them to be anywhere near the US or UK but wasn't it learned their number of modern aircraft ready to deploy was in the low double digits, their radios are garbage, and they only had about 300 usable tanks?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tbf that level of military funding largely worked out fine for us

E: honestly the greater strategic sin was the energy dependence on Russia

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

Tbf that level of military funding largely worked out fine for us

E: honestly the greater strategic sin was the energy dependence on Russia

It works great until it doesn't work at all.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

other times it’s just a country with a refusal to pay, play along, but gets mad at countries with less money elsewhere in NATO or he EU.

Just come right out and say Germany.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 1, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Just come right out and say Germany.

Why, I could have meant anybody!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

It works great until it doesn't work at all.

Yeah but military spending has opportunity cost as well so who knows

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If Germany, of all countries, doesn't want to build up its army, that's cool with me.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

zoux posted:

If Germany, of all countries, doesn't want to build up its army, that's cool with me.

They've gone a bit too far in the opposite direction and are now the kid in your freshman history class who insists the UN can solve all wars through diplomacy if we all just try.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The plausible roads to European strategic autonomy from the US are very few, but all of them involve Germany actually taking its defence spending commitments seriously.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
US has decided to give Ukraine HIMARS (4 systems so far). The US has required and received Ukraine’s assurances that Ukraine will not use HIMARS to strike Russian land. Training will take 3 weeks or so for operators, possibly more for maintainers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm of the strong opinion that we should be giving zero fucks about whether or not Ukraine uses those to immediately pummel Belogrod's train station and oil storage facilities into a collection of smoking craters.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They're legit military targets so I'd be ok with them going kerblooey. I get the political angle though so oh well.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Same, but it's not like Ukraine has a shortage of targets on its own land.

For that matter, all evidence indicates that long-range strategic strikes don't actually help that much. They should focus on defeating armies in the field, not trying to knock out ball breathing production.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It seems like a reasonable hedge. To the extent that attacking targets in Russia is strategically advantageous, there are other weapons systems that are capable of doing that (such as helicopters or special forces). There's an open question as to whether that includes Russian occupied territory, but I'd assume they've stipulated that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Same, but it's not like Ukraine has a shortage of targets on its own land.

For that matter, all evidence indicates that long-range strategic strikes don't actually help that much. They should focus on defeating armies in the field, not trying to knock out ball breathing production.

Belgorod POL storage and rail yards are pretty crucial to Russian movements in Ukraine, it’s not as abstract as ball bearings or propeller springs.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

An interesting part of the Ukraine War has been learning how badly Germany has been letting their forces decay. Not expecting them to be anywhere near the US or UK but wasn't it learned their number of modern aircraft ready to deploy was in the low double digits, their radios are garbage, and they only had about 300 usable tanks?

I recall an article saying they had 19 fully operational tanks, but me brain and numbers don't work so good.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

FrozenVent posted:

Belgorod POL storage and rail yards are pretty crucial to Russian movements in Ukraine, it’s not as abstract as ball bearings or propeller springs.

Are they still bring supplied mainly from Belgorod? I would have thought they had switched to the Voronezh–Valuyki route, on account of how a Ukrainian counterattack on Vovchansk is simply a matter of time.

On another note, it seems there has been a Russian attempt to open a front again near Hlukhiv in Sumy oblast.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1532009523623473152?cxt=HHwWgMC9ge-i5cIqAAAA

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I recall an article saying they had 19 fully operational tanks, but me brain and numbers don't work so good.

I'd believe it, NYtimes said 300 but at the time of the start of the Russian invasion if Germany had to send all available tanks to the Ukrainian border and they could only dispatch those that worked, had trained crews, and ammo, wouldn't be surprised if it were 19. Probably similar to if in 1936 the US had to send all combat ready troops to Europe with a week's notice, would have been a lot of horses and trainer tanks.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I also could be misremembering- this was way before Ukraine during an Audit of German Forces back in 2017/18? Ish? I dunno.
Ignore me.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I also could be misremembering- this was way before Ukraine during an Audit of German Forces back in 2017/18? Ish? I dunno.
Ignore me.

They're spending 100 billion Euros to modernize so that's a plus but yeah from a recent article:

quote:

Even in Rukla, the flagship German NATO mission which has relatively few complaints when it comes to resources, the general scarcity has been felt.

Some of the armored vehicles are five decades old. During international exercises in Lithuania, their equipment routinely made the German units “the weakest link in the chain,” soldiers reported to the parliamentary commissioner for the armed forces on their return from tours in Rukla.

Some in Lithuania joke that they would like some “real soldiers” protecting them. In neighboring Poland, Latvia and Estonia, the NATO battlegroups are led by Americans, Canadians and Britons, respectively.

“The German military is great; we’re so grateful to have them here,” said Laurynas Kasciunas, chairman of the national security and defense Committee in Lithuania. “But we’d also like some American troops, please, combat-ready and ideally permanently.”

Short of that, the challenge, say security experts, is how to ensure that the 100 billion euros in special funds for the German military are spent fast — and wisely.

The government has already announced an order of as many as 35 F-35 fighter jets to replace Germany’s aging fleet of Tornado bombers. On Monday, the chancellor met with Germany’s top-ranking general to discuss what else should get priority on the government’s shopping list.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/23/...&smid=url-share

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm srsly worried about the seeming lack on that list of purchases of stuff like spares and ammo, which by all accounts are among the bigger problems.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Is there a line item labelled "sustainment" or "readiness" or "maintenance"?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ahem. I think you'll find that this funding is for capital expenses only, and those do not sound like capital expenses.

(Just shitposting from my limited experience in the NGO world here.)

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The UK has asked for US permission to send some of its MLRS systems to Ukraine. Hopefully they'll be shipped off sooner rather than later.

Anything that can push the Russian artillery back will be in demand I'm sure.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

US has decided to give Ukraine HIMARS (4 systems so far). The US has required and received Ukraine’s assurances that Ukraine will not use HIMARS to strike Russian land. Training will take 3 weeks or so for operators, possibly more for maintainers.

Are we talking, like, 4 batteries, or 4 launch vehicles?

The latter doesn't sound terribly impactful.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
4 launchers. A typical US battery is 6 launchers plus support equipment, but the US is in the process of changing to a 9-launcher per battery organization as the standard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

4 launchers. A typical US battery is 6 launchers plus support equipment, but the US is in the process of changing to a 9-launcher per battery organization as the standard.

The 4 launchers are just the prestaged one, there's more coming. They are already in EU and being used for training.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

The 4 launchers are just the prestaged one, there's more coming.

That is possible, likely probable. The DOD representative did not commit to that today, stating that the US would continue to assess the situation to determine what type of future assistance would be required and offered. He did say that there was sufficient US capacity to offer more if directed to in the future.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/savaadaak/status/1532098265826709508?s=21&t=K5zTq3_n6U2iihXYKmGp0w

MLRS’s from the UK too.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MichaelStone/status/1532084932415307776?t=rddZauAVmjn4h5qKm0pfuQ&s=19

:yeshaha:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

*General Atomics has entered the chat.*

God I love that name and lineage.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Looking forward to seeing Hellfire vs. T-72 videos, and all the jack-in-the-box turret fun. Though by the time these UAVs deploy, it might be Hellfires vs. T-54/55s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Looking forward to seeing Hellfire vs. T-72 videos, and all the jack-in-the-box turret fun. Though by the time these UAVs deploy, it might be Hellfires vs. T-54/55s

In a weird perverse way this war is turning out to be like the ultimate laboratory test of what a NATO Warsaw Pact war may have been like, at least in terms of equipment. I feel really weird saying that as I don’t want anyone to think I feel that Ukraine is some sort of test bed or should be used that way. Not to imply that we are not collecting data which is a normal thing mind you.

But yeah I’m interested to see how the Russians are going to be able to counter the MLRS and general atomics contribution.