Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Is this a subtle way of reducing headcount since Telsa stock has tanked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Zil posted:

If I were a betting man, I'd say it has to do with keeping employee chit-chat where the supervisors can hear it. Either because of fear of unionization or in the wake of Boss Man's sexual harassment scandal, or both. No phones allowed, company monitored wifi and slack, keep fraternization to a minimum.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

Seems like a not-very-subtle way of encouraging (unpaid) overtime

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

He's just a loving rear end in a top hat, that article also has a story about him threatening interns who were waiting in line to get coffee at Paypal

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

He's just a loving rear end in a top hat, that article also has a story about him threatening interns who were waiting in line to get coffee at Paypal

Oh I know the rear end in a top hat part, it just seems lately that for companies that start doing the whole "rear end in seats" stuff, lose a lot of staff in the following weeks.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Yeah what good is being lord over everyone if you can't walk around and lord over everyone? It's that simple. During the pandemic i've seen a few boomer managers lose their minds over not being able to walk around and office and micromanage the slaves.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

old beast lunatic posted:

Yeah what good is being lord over everyone if you can't walk around and lord over everyone? It's that simple. During the pandemic i've seen a few boomer managers lose their minds over not being able to walk around and office and micromanage the slaves.

At my old job we had an HR manager who would wander around the office just to see if people were in their seats

it was weird man

Good news though: my firing lead to his firing which lead to the global HR head resigning which lead to my boss's boss being fired and my boss being fired so really, it worked out :peanut:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

nothing says caring about the environment like forcing transport and all the consumption that comes with working in the office when all kinds of other companies are seeing the value in WFH

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Zil posted:

Oh I know the rear end in a top hat part, it just seems lately that for companies that start doing the whole "rear end in seats" stuff, lose a lot of staff in the following weeks.

It's just a conservative boomer mindset. After Musk moved to Texas for his new factory, he became infested with GOP boomer brainworms there. He went from denying Covid, to switching to be a republican, to openly supporting Trump (and trying to unban him from Twitter no matter the cost). I think at this point he's a few months away from saying the election has been stolen and that the jewish space lasers can only be defeated by SpaceX gunships.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Rad Russian posted:

It's just a conservative boomer mindset. After Musk moved to Texas for his new factory, he became infested with GOP Boomer brainworms there. He went from denying Covid, to switching to be a republican, to openly supporting Trump (and trying to unban him from Twitter no matter the cost). I think at this point he's a few months away from saying the election has been stolen and that the jewish space lasers can only be defeated by SpaceX gunships.

Yeah his wife leaving him for another woman really broke him it seems.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I’m no real-life Tony Stark uber genius or nothing, but threatening your executives and making their jobs/lives harder doesn’t seem like a recipe for long term success. Especially not when their skills are in high demand and competition in the EV space is ramping up at an incredible pace. That valuation higher than every other auto maker combined is going to correct itself sooner or later.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Zil posted:

That's what a friend of mine said earlier today - "could also be a way of getting rid of a load of folks without having to actually announce layoffs".

Also - the article above says it went to execs, but there was actually a follow-up email that went to all staff, just to make it clear that everyone at Tesla needs to be thinking about doing 40 hours in the office minimum.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Durzel posted:

That's what a friend of mine said earlier today - "could also be a way of getting rid of a load of folks without having to actually announce layoffs".

Also - the article above says it went to execs, but there was actually a follow-up email that went to all staff, just to make it clear that everyone at Tesla needs to be thinking about doing 40 hours in the office minimum.

This is not smart since in layoffs you want to target your lowest-performing staff or the ones who are no longer needed. Creating lovely policies drives away your most valuable and highest performing staff instead. People who are already being headhunted and have desirable skillsets will be the first to jump. He will lose all the smart engineers and developers, there are hundreds of tech companies that are 100% remote that are poaching tech talent right now.

Even the ones who specifically want to work in EV sector AND at the same time be in a cool startup can go to Lucid, Rivian, Fisker, or Polestar which all have thousands of jobs open between them and billions in funding. This isn't 2010 anymore with Tesla being the only game in town.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 1, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

quote:

Musk wrote that “anyone who wishes to do remote work must be in the office for a minimum (and I mean *minimum*) of 40 hours per week or depart Tesla. This is less than we ask of factory workers.

working 80 hour weeks, camping at the factory while boss man elon shows his dick to flight attendants

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

kazil posted:

working 80 hour weeks, camping at the factory while boss man elon shows his dick to flight attendants

boss makes a billion, i make a dime
he commits an awful lot of crime

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Rad Russian posted:

This is not smart .....

Actually, Elon will tell you he is very smart.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Does he think Twitter is tanking because his employees aren't working hard enough, and not because he's putting his 17% stake in the company up as a collateral in a high-interest margin loan to overpay for a lovely unprofitable social media company?

I already know the answer to this. Of course it's the employee's fault.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zil posted:

he's a notorious micromanager who likes to walk around bothering people, asking questions, making demands, and insta-firing anyone who displeases him

those kinds of people absolutely hate remote work policies

hard to have a management style like this over Skype

quote:

On a Wednesday morning a few weeks later, Musk returned to the Gigafactory on his private plane. Tesla had started firing hundreds of other employees for performance reasons—more than 700 would eventually be let go. Musk was scheduled to talk to the plant’s workers, to inspire them to push through what Musk had forecast would be a “manufacturing hell.” The Gigafactory needed widespread fixes; there was no way the plant would produce 5,000 batteries a week anytime soon.

When he arrived, Musk began marching through the factory. He walked along the assembly line, red-faced and urgent, interrogating workers he encountered, telling them that at Tesla excellence was a passing grade, and they were failing; that they weren’t smart enough to be working on these problems; that they were endangering the company, according to someone who observed him.

Employees knew about such rampages. Sometimes Musk would terminate people; other times he would simply intimidate them. One manager had a name for these outbursts—Elon’s rage firings—and had forbidden subordinates from walking too close to Musk’s desk at the Gigafactory out of concern that a chance encounter, an unexpected question answered incorrectly, might endanger a career.

After Musk had patrolled the factory floor for a while, executives pulled him into a conference room. “I think we can fix this,” one of his top lieutenants, Jon McNeill, told him, according to someone who heard the conversation. McNeill tried to calm Musk down, and repeated a proverb he had once heard: No man comes up with a good idea when being chased by a tiger. At that moment, Musk was the tiger. (A spokesperson for McNeill said he did not want to participate in this story.)

Musk, though, had other concerns. “What’s that smell?” he asked. Everyone went silent. They knew Musk was so sensitive to odors that job candidates were told not to wear cologne or perfume when they met him. They had seen him become upset over small issues like this, had observed him attack executives for their incompetence and inabilities. One person explained that there were vats of liquid silicon nearby. When heated, it sometimes smelled like burning plastic.

These vapors were going to kill people, Musk said. They were going to kill him.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Seth Pecksniff posted:

At my old job we had an HR manager who would wander around the office just to see if people were in their seats

it was weird man

Good news though: my firing lead to his firing which lead to the global HR head resigning which lead to my boss's boss being fired and my boss being fired so really, it worked out :peanut:

:hellyeah:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The lead of my department on 1st shift has this management style; last night my boss and I root caused a giant fuckup where an incorrect resistor was placed on an entire work order of boards to one of her passdowns, where she openly admitted to splicing reels off the shelf and forcing someone else to do it too while DEK was there working on the screen printer.

Her number is the one on the reel that is half the wrong part. She didn't come in to work today; idk why not. Not like she's ever gotten in trouble for open harassment or loving bricking whole work orders before.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

old beast lunatic posted:

I knew a lady who worked from home back in 2020 that somehow still managed to have office drama with a co-worker that she hadn't seen since their company issued the WFH directive

To me, that's just further proof that WFH should be the norm rather than the exception, but until they figure out effective ways to let useless managers micromanage people remotely, the more lovely companies will absolutely insist on everyone coming back to the office now that COVID is :airquote:over:airquote:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

he never shuts up about the time he slept in the tesla factory.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Main Paineframe posted:

he's a notorious micromanager who likes to walk around bothering people, asking questions, making demands, and insta-firing anyone who displeases him

those kinds of people absolutely hate remote work policies

hard to have a management style like this over Skype

lol this is amazing. I mean, not for the employees but still hilarious.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

he never shuts up about the time he slept in the tesla factory.

wish he would do a 12 hour shift of headbutting teslas

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

in my experience you do have to micro manage to get things done sometimes and if you are too hands off people will just start missing deadlinss but if you constantly have to rely on it that means you are not managing things properly to begin with

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

in my experience you do have to micro manage to get things done sometimes and if you are too hands off people will just start missing deadlinss but if you constantly have to rely on it that means you are not managing things properly to begin with

:hmmyes:

A good manager knows when to get hands on and when to go hands-off. Micromanagers all the time create misery among the staff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

lol this is amazing. I mean, not for the employees but still hilarious.

My first job the CEO/Owner believed you didn't need more than 4 hours of sleep a night, everyone else was just lazy. So he would do what Elon here was doing but be so sleep deprived he'd forget he ever fired someone. It was like a person giving themselves alzheimers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I still do not understand what the sycophants see in him

remote work is the way of the future and anyone who is against it is basically a dinosaur at this point

They only see the bloviating twitter meme guy and think that he's cool. They've never met or worked for him.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

This guy spends a lot of time on twitter to demand a 40 hour week minimum

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when you're a CEO, anything you do is 'work'

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

That's not micromanaging, that's just being in touch with your workers and making sure they keep you updated as to how things are going.

Micromanaging is basically trying to insert yourself into every single aspect of the job or project, no matter how minute the detail, and hovering over everyone like a mother hen to make sure they do it exactly how you want it done. It's borne of insecurity; of worrying that things just won't get done right without your constant personal involvement, and of a constant need for recognition (both from your superiors praising you, and from making sure your subordinates know just exactly who the boss is). It's counterintuitive to good management because it actually slows things down and puts roadblocks in the way of the people doing the actual work. There's never a legitimate need for that style of management.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

sleeping in his office and yelling at people every day was like elon's battle of britain, it was his finest hour

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
I give it five years before ol Musky starts pissing in jars like Howard Hughes

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Musk is going to run for president this cycle, I get that feeling.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ben shapino posted:

nothing says caring about the environment like forcing transport and all the consumption that comes with working in the office when all kinds of other companies are seeing the value in WFH

They should buy a tesla so they can commute carbon* free***** :thumbsup:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tarkus posted:

Musk is going to run for president this cycle, I get that feeling.

He can't actually be president since he isn't a birthright citizen.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

But what if he built a robot that ran for president and it was under his command?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No? Thank god.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tarkus posted:

No? Thank god.

Notice I said he can't actually be president.

I make no guarantees he won't try to run for president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
"I bought a cloning company and made a clone of myself. I then transferred my consciousness into that clone. I am now that clone. Since it was created in Houston, I can now run for president."