Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrPossum posted:

:allears: imagine taking investment advice on crypto from madison cawthorns instagram

After the Iraqi Dinar scam, theres no level of stupid Im not ready to be wowed by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Barudak posted:

After the Iraqi Dinar scam, theres no level of stupid Im not ready to be wowed by

how about the other famous iraq related scam:

what is wild is people still use a version of poo poo like this in places for EOD (I think), and other versions of this poo poo exist. actually tons of "devices" for doing some psychic/teledildonic summoning exist, all kinds of black boxes full of nothing with some switches on the outside. and they all cost thousands of dollars. it's incredible.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 1, 2022

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Another obvious BTC and ETH pump closely followed by a huge dump

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Solana going off a cliff

https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1532051910567481346

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thank god I was getting bored waiting for another crypto death spasm

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

love when my decentralized crypto network is halted by panicking developers

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Intentionally selling fake safety devices that lead to the deaths of multiple people only lands you in jail for 10 years?

Surely if I ran a car company and replaced all my cars seatbelts with fruit by the foot, I’d expect something harsher

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 1, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gutcruncher posted:

Intentionally selling fake safety devices that lead to the deaths of multiple people only lands you in jail for 10 years?

Surely if I ran a car company and replaced all my cars seatbelts with fruit by the foot, I’d expect something harsher

The key is to not sell them to Americans.

Even then I'm pretty sure the only reason there were any consequences at all is that the people using the fake bomb detectors were sweeping vehicles headed into American safe zones, so some voter's kids and spouses got killed and politicians wanted the angry voicemails to stop.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Even then I'm pretty sure the only reason there were any consequences at all is that the people using the fake bomb detectors were sweeping vehicles headed into American safe zones, so some voter's kids and spouses got killed and politicians wanted the angry voicemails to stop.

poo poo, the guy they made that Jonah Hill movie War Dogs about sold something like a quarter of a billion dollars of poo poo-tier, garbage ammo to the DoD for use by Afghan forces, and he only got four years in jail. The kicker is that most of the ammo was seriously grungy third world military surplus that the DoD described as "unserviceable," but the thing that got him jail time was that he got some of it from China and that violated US sanctions. The hilarious thing is that the Chinese ammo was likely actually decent quality ammo as iirc it was just new production Norinco.

The poo poo that was most likely to actually be fit for purpose is what got him in trouble, while meanwhile the DoD had a quarter of a billion worth of rusty garbage Soviet era crap that even the Afghans though was too janky to use. Selling garbage ammo to our allies via our own military isn't worth putting you in jail, but holy poo poo don't violate sanctions to actually get some decent cartridges.

edit: I"m pretty sure he just got jail time too, since the charge was a single count of conspiracy, so he's still got whatever money he earned from that contract. Plus he wrote a memoir so you know, whatever he's getting from that. All things considered probably worth four years in some federal minimum security facility.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Gutcruncher posted:

i mean as far as i can tell 3 people were indicted but never brought to trial for the takata airbag scandal in which they knowingly replaced airbags with fragmentation grenades for about two decades.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Scammin schad news is the only schad news I really care about.

America
Apr 26, 2017

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/former-employee-nft-marketplace-charged-first-ever-digital-asset-insider-trading-scheme

Shameful use of ape/slurp foreknowledge.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hopefully as part of their defense, they play Dana Snyder reading that slurp juice tweet

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

quote:

To conceal the fraud, CHASTAIN conducted these purchases and sales using anonymous digital currency wallets and anonymous accounts on OpenSea.

Fancy that, the money police can see through your anonymous online accounts :allears:

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

IDK at this point I'm pretty sure Tesla could sell fruit by the foot seatbelts and get away with it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fancy that, the money police can see through your anonymous online accounts :allears:

A wallet is only secret if its user does the work to keep it secret.

None of these motherfuckers do the work, or even understand that there's work to do.

It's stunning, just an endless parade of morons doing crimes in broad daylight while wearing a camo suit and getting surprised pikachu when they get caught.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
uhhh

https://twitter.com/anarchonbury/status/1532081604968992768

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

drat, Brexit really isn't going that well for them, is it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the support bots are out in force

https://twitter.com/Solana_Hellp/status/1532096493242437638?s=20

https://twitter.com/Solana1030/status/1532102047696297989?s=20

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It also says that they would be basically regulated the same as banks which loving :laffo: if the Bank of England starts telling stablecoins to show them exactly how they're backing the coins 1:1.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah this would basically kill everything the true believers stand for

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Sell all the stable coins to England. Get them dolla bills. Hit those GGPO rollback frames to before the sale and fork that poo poo so England doesn’t get their stables.

Repeat. Win capitalism forever. Die on a beach drunk and covered in babes.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Solana goodtoknowya

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
solana, farewella, auf wiedersehen, goodbye
all i do is hodl my coins and cry

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hear me out bros:

what if we tie each unit of crypto to some sort of real world analogue, in order to assure parity of ownership across multiple mindscapes? of course, we should store such "material non-replicable matter" in some kind of centralized location, not to be transported, and perhaps issue some sort of "voucher" upon which such a place would guarantee the matter

just pie in the sky talk for now, but we're on the bleeding edge here :cool:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
A gulag but its invite only and you have to own an NFT to get in.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Proof of work sets you free

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gutcruncher posted:

Wasn't that a plot point in a Dave Barry book? Risky Business, maybe?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not sure where this guy got 26% from, it seems to be down "just" 12% on the day.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Salt Fish posted:

A gulag but its invite only and you have to own an NFT to get in.

And you can sell your invite on the Blockchain! Genius!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Does the SEC cover this stuff?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Crypto isn’t regulated, so no.

Also lol that you’d imagine there are consequences for people in power.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

zedprime posted:

There's a galaxy brain securities thing I can theorize here that is probably completely made up because IANAL but makes sense in my head.

1. BAYC owns the IP and licenses it
2. BAYC expresses licenses through completion of the NFT contract
3. NFTs are securities allowing people to purchase aspects of the BAYC business
4. Because their stated intent is to license to those holding NFTs, these business practices form a price basis for their security and communicates their normal way of doing business to the security holders
5. If BAYC decides to continue contracting to Seth this goes counter to their normal business practices
6. If the news of 5 causes the NFTs to lose value, the security holders have a basis to sue BAYC. This includes every BAYC NFT holder, not just the guy who got Seth's ape.
Lots of things in crypto land are a security, even if the SEC is undermanned and a little hesitant to rock the boat, but I'd argue that an NFT isn't one, because it represents (in legal terms) so very little. We all basically agree that it's merely a receipt of a transaction, right? What ever else it purports to be, it does not itself represent a share of some future profit; it is what it is, a speculative vehicle of itself, much like bitcoin (which isn't a security for much the same reason, you're trading the object itself.) Whatever BAYC decides to do with its license -- and this is a unilateral standing offer -- the NFT isn't the "enterprise" that is generating revenue. It grants the legal cover for someone to go "yeah I'll make a Bored Ape show and it will somehow not be a shitshow catering to the worst aspects of humanity!" but the profits is created by the company who engages in that creative activity. The NFT is not related to that particular object, any more than a patent is not a security while a company goes and makes a product based on it.

Now...there's a case that there is possible fraud going on, but the problem is that BAYC is bound by the laws of the state of New York, which doesn't give two shits what the blockchain says is the holder of the NFT since the thief can grant no better title than they received. Green is still the owner, BAYC's license conflicts with the law of the state it chose to be governed by, so if push came to shove BAYC would be forced to honor Green as the licensee. If that violates the code is law delusion, that's a "well, that's your problem, not the court's" issue there because BAYC thought they could do that but basic property law trumped it, sucks to be you. In almost every case there's no actual disagreement between law and the blockchain since most NFTs are transacted as legit transactions (to the extent that anything is legit in cryptoland), so a court stepping in to enforce the rights of someone who got phished wouldn't be considered an extraordinary breach of the promise.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

kw0134 posted:

Lots of things in crypto land are a security, even if the SEC is undermanned and a little hesitant to rock the boat, but I'd argue that an NFT isn't one

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1532053669679710216

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The interesting thing is that he's not charged under securities law, but under wire fraud to abuse his employer. The relevant cited statutes in the indictment don't require any element to be a security, merely that the act was "an intent to deprive of honest services" via wire.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s funny is Tank girl isn’t a Disney character. She’s from an 80s indie British Comic that was acquired by DC

Doesn’t even understand what she’s copying

DC stands for Disney Company.

Helllllooo , heard of Batman? The best Detective in Comics.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, that former openseas exec is crucially not being charged with insider trading, even though they claim that's what he was doing. He's just being charged with the crimes he committed in relation to his insider trading.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

you get too innovative with your financial crimes and they'll burn you, you keep the fincrime at a medium level and it's unprosecutable. you get very innovative with your fincrimes and you become untouchable. it's the rush to bridge that gap I guess what motivates all these assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

in NFT-adjacent news, GME announced earnings today:

expected EPS: -$1.16

actual EPS: -$2.08

also their NFT marketplace opens this quarter.