Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
cjs: gently caress it, takin a nap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

rotor posted:

man when i told my dad how much i was making during the first dotcom boom he visibly recoiled and paled, muttered "thats more than I make," stuttered for a second and then to his credit more loudly said "no, no, that's how it should be, my kids should do better than me" then he congratulated me.

flint knappers just weren’t compensated as well as they should be after we discovered bronze, no?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Surprise T Rex posted:

Thanks goons. Yeah 83k puts me in like the 95th percentile or so for UK incomes, just get a skewed perspective lurking yospos and SA in general because y'all talk about 250k plus stock plus signing bonus and six free blowjobs a week kinda comp.

Then again my 3 bedroom semi is 615 a month mortgage not 3.1k for a studio flat so... Different worlds :shobon:

also if you have an accident or a health hitch it's not going immediately zero your net worth.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

ultravoices posted:

flint knappers just weren’t compensated as well as they should be after we discovered bronze, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyu4u3VZYaQ

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

NoneMoreNegative posted:

also if you have an accident or a health hitch it's not going immediately zero your net worth.

well I didn't want to rub it in

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im old

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lord fifth posted:

i guess we'll see if i still like writing code after 10 years :sigh:

I decided I didn't want to hate writing code so instead I code as a hobby and touch networks for money

though my cert exam today had a bunch of python and json poo poo on it and :argh: stop bleeding my non work poo poo into work poo poo cisco you shits

(cjs: passed the CCNP ENCOR exam :toot:)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what the fucj what am i supposed to joke about now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

what the fucj what am i supposed to joke about now

new idea: rotor is YOUNG jokes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor is so young he's never used the 'the the the the' operator

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

rotor is so young he's never used the 'the the the the' operator

hahahaha yes now we're talkin, this is gold

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

rotor's so old he remembers python 1

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
CJS: at the graveyard to tell the dead how jealous I am

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bump_fn posted:

correctly scheduled so you’d be on vacation to watch the best french open match

i was drinking clams and hollering at the television yesterday you know it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rotor posted:

yep t-minus 15mins when the thunderstorm starts

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

graph posted:

i was drinking clams

love a good clamato

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i hate djokovid so much and watching him eat a bag of poo poo in the 4th set and comeback tiebreaker was :discourse:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

graph posted:

i hate djokovid so much and watching him eat a bag of poo poo in the 4th set and comeback tiebreaker was :discourse:

i used to enjoy him as a heel but the vaccine poo poo in australia was the final straw

it was a good match op

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bump_fn posted:

i used to enjoy him as a heel but the vaccine poo poo in australia was the final straw

that and his mommy crying about how he was a special boy get the gently caress out

bump_fn posted:

it was a good match op

vamos rafa

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
reminder: some quack convinced him he was gluten intolerant by making him hold a piece of bread and saying 'doesnt that arm feel weaker now' lol

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

rotor posted:

even a third cup isn't keeping me afloat today

doing the nap thing

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

graph posted:

reminder: some quack convinced him he was gluten intolerant by making him hold a piece of bread and saying 'doesnt that arm feel weaker now' lol

wow I'm gonna try this

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

does it matter what kind of bread

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

cjs: setting up stackstorm. i think it's better than jenkins, in the same way getting punched in the gut is better than getting punched in the balls

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

KirbyKhan posted:

CJS: at the graveyard to tell the dead how jealous I am

Well with the FOXDIE virus you only have a year left anyway...

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Just read a PR and needed something to take the edge off.

https://vimeo.com/57747253

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Truman Peyote posted:

cjs: setting up stackstorm. i think it's better than jenkins, in the same way getting punched in the gut is better than getting punched in the balls

apt-get install darude

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

my favorite thing about tech work is the big fat paychecks. My second favorite thing is the big fat benefits. My third favorite thing is the cushy working environment. Thanks for reading my post

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

PokeJoe posted:

does it matter what kind of bread

during the five minutes i had a bread machine i added "vital gluten" to some loaves, try that

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

nap status: fair to middling

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Surprise T Rex posted:

well I didn't want to rub it in
Well you better not rub it out either, buster brown

this is a family subforum

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Truman Peyote posted:

i have no idea how good jenkins actually is because the way we have it set up is so nuts i can't even figure out how it's supposed to be set up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you know precisely how good jenkins is i dont see the problem

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
we had a script that would build a docker image and deploy it with some extremely basic if/then stuff for specific environments and it looked insanely complicated because gravy or whatever is a real bad language with seemingly no syntactical sugar for jenkins jobs despite the fact that it is its only known use???

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

carry on then posted:

i have no idea how good jenkins actually is because the way we have it set up is so nuts i can't even figure out how it's supposed to be set up

good: all of that poo poo is in source control so your pipeline can be versioned to match your software

bad: a miserable pile of unversioned batch scripts

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Asleep Style posted:

good: all of that poo poo is in source control so your pipeline can be versioned to match your software

bad: a miserable pile of unversioned batch scripts

the universal experience, really

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

as much as i bitch about our jenkins setup - and there's a lot to bitch about, considering i had a hand in it :negative: - i'm glad that it's at least documented and doesn't have any outside unversioned script bullshit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the entire dev team using it is about 12 people and my partner in crime continues to insist maintaining it won't be a full-time job once it's all locked down

i have my doubts that that's even possible, and even if it was i still think it would eat a ton of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

we had a script that would build a docker image and deploy it with some extremely basic if/then stuff for specific environments and it looked insanely complicated because gravy or whatever is a real bad language with seemingly no syntactical sugar for jenkins jobs despite the fact that it is its only known use???

I never thought about it like this but goddamn you’re right

e: wait did you meant groovy