Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

The new Arena is cool, but the chase rare definitely Displacer Kitten, that card is the most on-it’s-face completely broken combo engine and exacerbates every problem in the format immediately.

Yeah that thing seems like an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Oh man, cast a cantrip, blink your dockside?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

BMC is interesting to me, because phyrexian arena doesn't really see play anymore because optimally it gets 5 or 6 draws in competitve. I wonder if making it cost 2B instead of 1BB and getting to pay an extra 2 life for mana ramp is going to be good enough. I want to say yes, because 5 mana t2 is pretty significant. Card is much worse later on though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

berenzen posted:

BMC is interesting to me, because phyrexian arena doesn't really see play anymore because optimally it gets 5 or 6 draws in competitve. I wonder if making it cost 2B instead of 1BB and getting to pay an extra 2 life for mana ramp is going to be good enough. I want to say yes, because 5 mana t2 is pretty significant. Card is much worse later on though.
What's interesting about it to me is that it's not just a Phyrexian Arena, it gives you treasure or a dude if that's what you want, too. The modality is what really stands out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Framboise posted:

What's interesting about it to me is that it's not just a Phyrexian Arena, it gives you treasure or a dude if that's what you want, too. The modality is what really stands out.

What’s interesting to me is the fact that you can just choose all 3 every turn, meaning you can scale the enchantment. It’s much closer to a black sylvan Library than a Phyrexian Arena, IMO.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bust Rodd posted:

What’s interesting to me is the fact that you can just choose all 3 every turn, meaning you can scale the enchantment. It’s much closer to a black sylvan Library than a Phyrexian Arena, IMO.

oh my god it's not choose one?? Okay, I'm on board, this is some wild value. It's 3 mana, and you can play it precombat so unless they insta-destroy it when you pass priority, it will basically never be negative card advantage.

edit: vvvvv Right poo poo, I can read. :eng99:

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 31, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Magnetic North posted:

oh my god it's not choose one?? Okay, I'm on board, this is some wild value. It's 3 mana, and you can play it precombat so unless they insta-destroy it when you pass priority, it will basically never be negative card advantage.

You still need to wait a whole turn cycle before this gives you any value-- it triggers at the beginning of your precombat phase. So unless you've got a way to flash it in on upkeep step, you're not getting anything from it the turn you cast it.

Still a cool card. It's got a nice amount of versatility, and as far as cEDH goes I think it's still good even if it's slow-- it's nice incremental value you can drop on early turns that isn't threatening enough to remove on sight or draw a counter.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Huh, a Jeska's Will in the R/G deck.

I'm kind of surprised they have actually listened and put all the 2-cost mana rocks or land fetch spells in the decks. I assumed they would double down and put more trash 3 mana rocks with tiny upsides. Now if they would just put a reasonable dual land or two in there...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

General MTG rules question regarding priority and the stack: if I cast a spell can I just immediately hold priority? Or does it have to go around the other players before I can continue? I think it's the former but I'm not 100% so am hoping for a clarification.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Johnny Truant posted:

General MTG rules question regarding priority and the stack: if I cast a spell can I just immediately hold priority? Or does it have to go around the other players before I can continue? I think it's the former but I'm not 100% so am hoping for a clarification.

Yes, if you are the active player, you can hold priority and get first response.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Yes, if you are the active player, you can hold priority and get first response.

Excellent, thank you for confirming!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

Yep this thing is nuts. Needing to wait until your next turn for it to come online is really the only caveat, and may even helps it dodge removal since it's not impacting the board RIGHT NOW.

Feels like a slam-dunk staple in any deck with black in its color identity, but not egregious or combo-y enough to get banned or make players groan. Plus sometimes you'll just dump 2/3 of your life into it and die anyway, and that's a big flavor win for black.

My favorite card printed since MH2. Got me to pre-order the set of 4 commander decks.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sega 32X posted:

I'm kind of surprised they have actually listened and put all the 2-cost mana rocks or land fetch spells in the decks. I assumed they would double down and put more trash 3 mana rocks with tiny upsides. Now if they would just put a reasonable dual land or two in there...

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/commander-legends-battle-for-baldur-s-gate-precon-decklists

Jeska's Will, Stolen Strategy, Three Visits, Xenagos, the Reveler, loving OG Urbrask (lol), Laeila, Blade Reforged reprint, and of course you guessed it Frank Stal....Temple of the False Gods.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sega 32X posted:

You say this, but they omitted the 2CC rocks from the RG deck for 3 and 4 mana land ramp, so you win some, you lose some.

Also, outside of Jeska's Will, the RG deck has virtually no reprint value, so... guess it was smart to spoil the 1 good deck first.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This set is pretty rough in general... I bet they're saving all the cool reprints for double masters 2.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's a cute way to do delayed blast fireball.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Orzhov precon is aight. Will probably grab it because BMC is probably the money card of the precons and it has some solid reprints.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgvR_RlGmNQ&t=252s

Command Zone breakdown of the Orzhov Party Time precon.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 31, 2022

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
yeah i wanna grab it too because i don't have any b/w decks and seems amusing.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

The party time deck is absolutely bonkers, just among the new cards you have:

• Black Market Connections - eat your heart out, Phyrexian Arena
  • Folk Hero - background that lets tribal decks just... draw cards for doing what they do? At 2 MV? Yup.
  • Deep Gnome Terramancer - ramp once per turn whenever a fetch gets cracked or somebody ramps from their deck. Yup.

And a smattering of $5 - $10 reprints, too.

All the decklists, and soon all the spoilers as hover state: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/commander-legends-battle-for-baldur-s-gate-precon-decklists

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I preordered the minimal packaging version of Party Time. Probably one of the more generous lists we've seen in a while.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

coelomate posted:

The party time deck is absolutely bonkers, just among the new cards you have:

• Black Market Connections - eat your heart out, Phyrexian Arena
  • Folk Hero - background that lets tribal decks just... draw cards for doing what they do? At 2 MV? Yup.
  • Deep Gnome Terramancer - ramp once per turn whenever a fetch gets cracked or somebody ramps from their deck. Yup.

And a smattering of $5 - $10 reprints, too.

All the decklists, and soon all the spoilers as hover state: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/commander-legends-battle-for-baldur-s-gate-precon-decklists

I don't get the fascination with folk hero. Effectively maybe 1 card per round isn't that exciting.

The deck itself is a miserable pile of basically no interaction, draw, or topdeck manipulation which is a shame. I don't even want to shuffle it up, once.

You still buy the deck, though, because it's got ~$40 in playable reprints and it has the set Dockside.

It's a shame we got 2 decks with good reprints, 2 decks with trash, all 4 basically unplayable out of the box, weird/terrible themes, and like 1 good new card in these precons. At least one of them doesn't have Temple of the False God. Gavin can't be fired soon enough.

Also, I can't recommend Moxfield enough for browsing the precons. SCG has the worst possible site, even worse than WotC, somehow. MtGGoldfish is ok, but Moxfield is the gold standard in usability (I am not affiliated with Moxfield):

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/public?format=commanderPrecons

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

You still buy the deck, though, because it's got ~$40 in playable reprints and it has the set Dockside.

Like many precons, I rarely ever play them-- it's just that I wanted the set Dockside and the good reprints are all ones that I welcome having. Not going to argue with having a spare Skullclamp, Mutavault, or Sevinne's Reclamation, and I never did pick up the Prosper precon and wanted a Grim Hireling, so eh.

I'll probably piece out the rest of it if it's of any value; purely a value buy, especially since you can preorder them below "MSRP" in minimal packaging (because you know the regular one will be $55-60 elsewhere after tax, more so if BMC explodes and becomes the card that gets bought out).

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Any notable cEDH decks centered around Toluz, Clever Conductor?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

No, because having him in play is worse than not having him in play. He's a 3-mana 3/1 with a downside.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Raffine and Queza might have some play to them, Raffine a bit more. Orskar the Grouch probably has a good dimir deck going for him.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Where are my Golden Pantaloons. And you must gather your party before venturing forth. Is it really a Baldur's Gate set without these things?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I brought my Drake posted:

Where are my Golden Pantaloons. And you must gather your party before venturing forth. Is it really a Baldur's Gate set without these things?

They did the latter.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Commander+Legends+Battle+for+Baldurs+Gate/Venture+Forth#paper

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TheLawinator posted:

Raffine and Queza might have some play to them, Raffine a bit more. Orskar the Grouch probably has a good dimir deck going for him.

Tivit is kinda cool and combos with Time Sieve.

I mean, we already have an infinite turns Sphinx in Yennett, but at least this one has ward 3?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Party Time basically sold out everywhere (below ~49.99). I'm guessing if it gets a restock on Amazon it's gonna be bumped up in price.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yeah, glad I trusted my gut this time. It's a small consolation for missing out on picking up Ledger Shredders when they were less than a dollar.

Also, looks like the Lorehold Legacies precon is only $25 right now on Amazon. That's a loving steal for how much rear end that deck kicks, even out of the box. Get it if you don't have it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've seen a few drafts of the deck. I like cobblepott's the most: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/QmQ9ciLoJEOf_q1D7LS2XA

It's a shadowbag deck without either shadow of the grave or bag of holding. It draws a ton of cards, discards them with bone miser in play to make mana and draws more cards, kills Toluz to get all the cards back and does it again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Been toying with making a Ziatora commander deck. Looked at edhrec and stuff. Anyone try it?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Another goon brought it up like a month ago and we talked them out out of it for a variety of reasons, but they’re basically the 5th choice Jund Dragon Commander

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Been toying with making a Ziatora commander deck. Looked at edhrec and stuff. Anyone try it?

I'm in the process of building one full of goofy high power creatures like Ball Lightning, Lightning Skelemental, etc. My group probably wouldn't do well against a tuned Korvold deck so Ziatora seems like a nice level.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm in the process of building one full of goofy high power creatures like Ball Lightning, Lightning Skelemental, etc. My group probably wouldn't do well against a tuned Korvold deck so Ziatora seems like a nice level.

Don't forget Groundbreaker!

E:

And Zektar Shrine Expedition!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nova Chaser if you're running some elementals

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
MTG Goldfish podcast said that CL:BG isn’t really CL2, it’s more like AFR: commander precons the set.

And most of them think its a complete dud of a product.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I was on the fence about buying a box and I'm starting to lean "no" on that. I definitely want stuff like Displacer Kitten and such, but there's a whole lotta low power chaff in here that doesn't appeal to me at all.

I DO like a lot of the background commanders though, and I wouldn't be mad to pick up some more battlebond lands...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Quick rules question - when Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker creates a copy of Anarchist, it's ETB triggers, correct?