Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The cemetary where you start, Gundyr's arena and the regular Firelink Shrine are in a different timeline from most of the game.

Untended Graves is in the same timeline as most of the game, where the fire has already faded and there's no one left to link the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Idk that sounds like youtuber fan theorising, what in the game actually point to that as a firm answer?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You can walk from Lothric Castle to the Untended Graves. To get anywhere from the Cemetary of Ash - Firelink you need to warp from a bonfire.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That doesn't seem like alot to rest a dual timelines theory on

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Idk that sounds like youtuber fan theorising, what in the game actually point to that as a firm answer?

Iirc Gundyr's soul and dialogue from the merchant handmaiden.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 31, 2022

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The sun is off in untended graves. It is on in the rest of the world. To me, this means that untended greaves is wrong, not that the rest of the world is. You wouldn't say Archdragon Peak is part of a different timeline because you can't walk there.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Untended Graves is in the same timeline as most of the game because otherwise it wouldn't make any sense that you can simply walk there and DS2 detractors would have to shut their *$@& mouth about the elevator to a lava lake, which is obviously never going to happen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So on one hand, untended graves is the past because by going their, the shrinekeeper maiden recognizes you from the past. On the other its a completely different terminal end point because Champion Gundyr is someone who was late to the firelinking and the world already went cold.

Its visually cool, but the underpinning of what it is is missing which is kind of like, my whole issue with DS3. Its like the becoming a tree motif and the kilns on their backs and angels which don't have enough development to go anywhere because precious lore pages gotta get spent on "remember the painting guardians????"

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

expecting the lore to give you any straight answers in any of the games of and descended from king's field is like getting really angry at your dreams because your high school teacher from 20 years ago teaches flying instead of math

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Rythian posted:

Yeah a friend of mine played this for the first time recently after playing Elden Ring, and he picked the Sellsword Twinblades, and he just breezed through the game without summons, constantly saying stuff like "this game isn't as hard as people say", "way easier than Elden Ring" and "oh I found that boss really easy". I think Friede was the only boss he struggled with (aside from Wolnir where he didn't figure out the bracelets). Even Nameless King went down pretty quick.

And more power to him for that, play how you want to play. I just worry that people will lessen their own enjoyment of the game by having bosses not really be as difficult, and you just circle around and spam L1. Games aren't usually as fun if it's just easy-breezy mode and you're not really challenged.

Ya I was using Sellsword Twinblades for like the first half of my run until I got to the Grand Archives and got the dual katanas. The Katana's regular l1 is slower than sellsword twinblades but the weapon art is much better than the twinblades, that jumping move looks like you would be so vulnerable but vs human size enemies/bosses you can interupt their attacks with that and you can do it from a decent range.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Item Getter posted:

Wasn't there going to be yet a third version of the Firelink Shrine that was cut?

There's already a third version, the one you end up in after reuniting the lords.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Those tree people angels whatever the poo poo they are because the games lore is unfinished that help out the dragon knight in DS3 killed me way more than I want to say.

Finished it, onto finding my second titanite slab since little ol dumb me didn't realize twinkling items need that too

Edit: The gently caress is this, Ashes of Ariendel? These enemies got gobs of health, hit like trucks, and drop less souls than most mid-level foes. I get that this DLC is inexplicably accessible at Cathedral of the Deep, but this sucks.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 1, 2022

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Those tree people angels whatever the poo poo they are because the games lore is unfinished that help out the dragon knight in DS3 killed me way more than I want to say.

Finished it, onto finding my second titanite slab since little ol dumb me didn't realize twinkling items need that too

Edit: The gently caress is this, Ashes of Ariendel? These enemies got gobs of health, hit like trucks, and drop less souls than most mid-level foes. I get that this DLC is inexplicably accessible at Cathedral of the Deep, but this sucks.

That's a hint that it is intended for end-game.

You can access DS1 DLC as soon as you kill O&S but is still meant for late game too. Bloodborne's DLC is open after killing Amelia (that can be your 2nd boss) and is late game content too.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

I get that this DLC is inexplicably accessible at Cathedral of the Deep, but this sucks.

It's full of easily accessible titanite (including a slab) once you know your way around, so early access is really handy on subsequent playthroughs.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Ariandel is weirdly tuned, though. The standard humanoid enemies in it are not that big of a deal - if you don't pull too many of them, you can easily defeat them with a +6 weapon, which you can have by the point you can access the DLC. You can get a ways in with that. However, the big viking dudes will be quite tough even with a maxed out weapon, tons of HP, barely any openings. The crow knights are terrible to fight even with a maxed out character. The best way to deal with them is stunlocking, and they better be dead before your stamina runs out, so not recommended with a +6 weapon.

And the bosses of course are quite hard if you're not fairly well leveled and equipped. But even on the way there, there's flies and trees and wolves that are not that bad? Most of the crow people village is nbd except for the mentioned big crows?

Overall, I have no clue how and when to best approach it. I agree that you should probably dip into it asap, get weapons you want to use soon and some upgrade mats, and then get the hell out until you are better suited for its challenges. Feels weird, though. Doing it with a finished character, however, makes huge parts of it too easy. imo From's weakest DLC.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

But Ashes gives you access to tons of items and mats for early-mid game without the need of killing a single boss while Ringed City has a lot more lovely enemies and design decisions. DS2 DLC are good (bar co-op zones) but suck for any casting build.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So the enemy balanace in Ariendel is wild. Bugs are a joke, the trees are interesting but not awful, the humanoid enemies are like the games missing middle for humanoids, the forlorn (small) are a good spread, and then the wolves are significantly easier than the base games dogs.

Then its like oh, yeah, hey, these giant crow men say get lost and the vikings just have way more health than they seemingly should and neither one of those, who are ostensibly the "piss off kid this is too tough for you now come back end game" enemies give anything commensurate with their difficulty. And the game just tosses em out sometimes like "yeah two of these in a small room is good".

I beat the twin princes by myself this time, i have no idea why they own zoned me 7 years ago

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The flies are the worst enemy ever because they make me want to throw up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The flies are definitely one of those enemies I just chucked fireballs at because gently caress THAT poo poo, you guys are gross as hell.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The foetus crows freak me out more personally

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The hand spiders are designed from the ground up to make me uncomfortable and they are very successful

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The hand hippos are definitely the monster that got the biggest "what?" out of me, thankfully there are only 4.

The aldrich deep ones I think there are only two of and the first one has a great intro but is too easy to cheese

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

The hand hippos are definitely the monster that got the biggest "what?" out of me, thankfully there are only 4.

The aldrich deep ones I think there are only two of and the first one has a great intro but is too easy to cheese

The hand hippos looked like they could have been Bloodborne cut content, they're so hosed up

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Imagine being the guy who had to behead all those to make enough hand spiders for Elden Ring :(

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The hands are kind of gross, but I think I'll cast my vote for the screaming baby head worm things in the dungeon. With special mention to the one that ambushes you from his cell in the narrow path on the lower level.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 1, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I finally got Irina of Carim's "good" ending and its kind of a letdown.

skasion posted:

Imagine being the guy who had to behead all those to make enough hand spiders for Elden Ring :(

How else was he supposed to get into Lothric?

Edit: I just realized Bloodborne and DS3 both have non-unique enemies who are inexplicably not hostile

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 1, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the wolves in ariandel are individually weak but they can swarm you really aggressively if one of them gets to howl

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

the wolves in ariandel are individually weak but they can swarm you really aggressively if one of them gets to howl

They don't bounce out of melee follow up range when you hit them so you can mulch them.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Guillermus posted:

The hand hippos looked like they could have been Bloodborne cut content, they're so hosed up

They look a lot like the hand of Manus that snatches you off to Oolacile in the DS1 Artorias of the Abyss DLC.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

Their ai isn't aggressive enough though even when they swarm you. That first part in the dlc where you fall of a snow crevice, into the wolf + tree women area is just annoying. The fire trees shooting homing fireballs is so stupid. The knights that patrol the forest aren't that annoying in small groups but sometimes you can get 5-6 aggro'd on you at once. It's not bad if they were all melee but like half of them are ranged so you can't even take out the melee ones safely without getting spiked with a spear or burned with fire.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

if that ever happens you can just die to the boss and he'll respawn along with you

I did die, and he didn't come back (just his armor there on the floor :smith:). Maybe he comes back if you die during the fight before he does? I didn't think of that while trying to salvage the situation. Anyway, I put down Yhorm for him, so his spirit can sleep soundly.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I did die, and he didn't come back (just his armor there on the floor :smith:). Maybe he comes back if you die during the fight before he does? I didn't think of that while trying to salvage the situation. Anyway, I put down Yhorm for him, so his spirit can sleep soundly.

Oh, maybe I'm remembering wrong! Or maybe there's some other invisible conditions going on. Either way rip

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just booted up the steam version again and forgot that the reason I stopped playing it years ago was due to the constant freezing and stuttering during the game.

Was there ever a fix released for it? I've tried turning off the GeForce overlay, setting the graphics to low and playing around with performance settings on the Geforce experience but it's not gotten rid of it. It's maybe lessened it at best.

It seems pretty consistent too, like it's the same type of "double freeze" every few minutes irrespective of what's on the screen so it doesn't feel like a graphics problem, but I'm not entirely sure.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I played the hell out of the steam version and never encountered any of those issues, sorry. Hope you get it figured out!

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Kin posted:

I just booted up the steam version again and forgot that the reason I stopped playing it years ago was due to the constant freezing and stuttering during the game.

Was there ever a fix released for it? I've tried turning off the GeForce overlay, setting the graphics to low and playing around with performance settings on the Geforce experience but it's not gotten rid of it. It's maybe lessened it at best.

It seems pretty consistent too, like it's the same type of "double freeze" every few minutes irrespective of what's on the screen so it doesn't feel like a graphics problem, but I'm not entirely sure.

Disable "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator" in Device Manager -> Software Devices
Stops Win10 from constantly trying to talk to an offline FireTV stick on my network, no more freezes.

edit: had the same issue in DS3, Sekiro, and Elden Ring. No more!

giZm fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 1, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I played the hell out of the steam version and never encountered any of those issues, sorry. Hope you get it figured out!

Same.

Also I was quite smug about how easy DS3 was but finally I found my match, Sister Friede is so freaking annoying. The last phase she has her dash grab is just ridiculous, I read you are suppose to just roll alot and you can dodge that? It one shots you and she homes in on you from max range.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I find phase 2 more difficult than 3 tbh. Just something about Friede and Father that is a Ball at the same time gets me

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

giZm posted:

Disable "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator" in Device Manager -> Software Devices
Stops Win10 from constantly trying to talk to an offline FireTV stick on my network, no more freezes.

edit: had the same issue in DS3, Sekiro, and Elden Ring. No more!

Hmm, thanks for that. It seemed to do the trick and then i alt-tabbed back to windows for something and it immediately returned when i went back into the game. I read something else about disabling some Xbox poo poo, but at this point, it just seems like a wild goose chase to find out what's explicitly causing it.

It would have been pre-windows 10 when i last tried to play it too (i think), so gently caress knows what it is that's causing it.

For reference, it's this exact problem someone's describing on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/pni6wl/double_freeze_issue_still_happening_another/

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i always summon gael for friede it feels fairly intended. he typically died sometime during phase 3 so id be on my own but with a decent amount of flasks left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Got to Friede and I think I'll go do ringed city, instead, for now since thats the last part of the game I've not seen.

I'm also not built for dodge rolling as a person but Im trying to stick to no shielding and no summoning as long as I can so part of me wants some more stubborn attempts before I give up and start holding something infront of my face.