Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
If you can't directly hold a holding in one of your counties, it's likely better for it to be a city than a castle (more money + more dev >>>>> more levies) but unless you're aiming for a innovations/dev snowball or are playing a faith with Lay Clergy it's probably still better for that holding to be a temple than a city because of the way vassal taxes work compared to the way leased temple holdings work - the latter are at least twice as lucrative all else equal.

OTOH, since most Muslim faiths have lay clergy Metropolitan seems like it'll boost Iberian Muslim dynasties interestingly if they're prone to taking it (by default the legacy is limited to dynasties in the Struggle, like the Northern Lords legacies were limited to Norse/longship-havers)

Dorkopotamis posted:

WHILE I'M HERE: What's the current non-exploity way for generating renown? My instinct is mystical ancestors or castle keepers, but I've already played quite a bit with reach and am looking for something new.

The straightforward way is still having a lot of independent rulers of your dynasty. Bonus if you have Royal Court and can load them up with +Renown artifacts. There are a few other traditions that aren't quite as broken about their Renown generation as Mystical Ancestors or Castle Keepers, like:

• Chivalry (renown per Romance scheme, AI are more likely to use Romance schemes),
  • Culinary Artistes (renown per feast, so land your relatives even as vassals, they'll spam feasts anyway even with the higher price and you don't even have to attend them all)
  • Religious Patronage (renown for building or upgrading the main building of temple holdings)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

The new dynasty legacy "Metropolitan" really focuses on the development of cities. It has a capstone that lets you just add new building slots onto cities. There's no analogous ability for castles or temples. If cities are good, it would make this dynasty tree pretty good too!

...but I don't know if cities are good. I tend to think they aren't. Thoughts?

I saw that, very interesting. There's probably a way to pair this with republican legacy and parochialism culture tradition and make mega $$$.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Try deleting/moving your old save games. I noticed that when I shut the game off I get a huge error log that spews out errors from old savegames. I am guessing that it loads the list for some reason and it is causing errors.

Digging through the logs it turns out I'm just running out of RAM with the new DLC, 4GB isn't enough anymore. It runs on my laptop though, so at least that works.

Some of the new culture traditions look really nice, I'm very much interested in trying this one out:

Tabletop warriors looks like a solid choice as well, and I think in a multiplayer game the wagers would be a lot of fun.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Losing my realm because I suck at Monopoly, lol.

Started up my save, and it still worked despite the update, so I'm happy. I already saw a dissolution faction at work on my neighbor, the Abbasid empire. It's rapidly falling apart from me holy waring for a kingdom, and three separate factions.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

if you're focused on the Intrigue tree, sometimes you get a chance to wipe out a ton of people in your jails in one fell swoop, become The Impaler, and get a ton of dread

This is one of the most metal events: You have a dream about a forest filled with the corpses of your enemies, then wake up and make it happen. :black101: I got it a few times with my albino terror queen in my Ireland run. Also, perma-100 dread is some wacky poo poo. The downside to relying on dread is that your vassals will have a MASSIVE "I hated your mom/dad's guts" malus when succession happens, meaning you either need to chain dread forward, be really good at diplomatic juggling, or have the aforementioned gigantic private army to repress them during the first 5 years of your new guy's tenure.

SlothBear posted:

Ah yes, unexpected ruler death can make things super fun and intense. Some of my favorite times in CK3.

If its just a liberty faction all they want is lower crown authority? Give it to them. Even independence factions are worth surrendering to if they aren't going to take the land you want your heir to get away if you can't manage them. Peasant uprisings aren't the end of the world to give into, often they just create independent and thoroughly helpless little states that you can reconquer once you've got your poo poo back together. Don't fight wars that are just going to make you weaker. If you have sufficient personal holdings to survive having your title snatched, even giving into a faction looking to depose you isn't the end of the world. Let the new king deal with all the unhappy vassals while you rebuild. So many times I've just given into the demands, watched the new ruler fail to handle the same problems, and then pushed my own faction to reinstall myself which everyone loves now.

One weird trick is if you have a vassal who is especially strong and owns territory you don't desperately need, and isn't de jure yours, just give them independence. Boom. Can't undermine me from within from that side of the border! Once things are settled? Time for war! Weakening your realm short term to consolidate and remain in power long term is usually always worth it. And of course if that isn't an option, there are always marriages (allies can't join factions), murder schemes, friendship, etc.

Of course if you've got 25 landed rulers with revocation causes in your prison, you've got access to a poo poo load of money now. Take the titles you want to personally hold, make sure your control and dev is high as you can get it (seneschals really help with that, as does the middle path of military), and your income should shoot up. Make sure you have a high stewardship spouse and set them to help manage your realm to max your personal holdings.

These are the times when CK3 is truly fun and challenging! Savor it! :eng101:

I felt pretty drat good about keeping all the plates spinning. It's the cleanup after that is a bureaucratic nightmare. I need some rear end in a top hat who will rubber stamp all the revocations and lottery them out to the general public. And also make sure all the contracts are signed with "Forced Partition" selected. I tend to go for that first to make sure vassals blow up properly when they die/you kill them. I absolutely split one of the giant duchies that had formed in my realm by hooking them into FP and then assassinating the vassal, splitting it into three domains. The next succession is the least Norse Norseman to ever Norse. He's a craven stewardship guy who hit the genetic lottery. He's not going to be beating down any berserkers, but he has enough gold to pay everyone off a few times over, so I'm basically taking this as my "consolidate and develop" era after his dad took most of Germany and Iberia.

So just your normal Haesteinn game.

edit: lmao something got hosed by the update in my ironman game

edit 2: I didn't actually mouse over the 25% and uh, I think something went squirrely with the "Control the Mediterranean" decision :stare:

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 1, 2022

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
This 1066 Fatimid run is just going so swimmingly. There is something deeply satisfying after some Pagan Europe runs to Conquer CBing my Astray neighbors and demanding conversions. When I first started out spreading the word I rarely had people convert after being conquered, but now they just accept and we all good. I move my Ayatollah in and we move on to conquer some more.

I'm thinking about reforming the Isma'ili faith but not sure what I would choose other than the Communal one that makes conversion easier. Maybe Communion.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Had a sort of odd thing happen where I died, but then a month later the game froze and I had to restart from the auto save from before I died. Well now I’ve gone two more years and I keep wondering when I’m gonna croak again.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Had a sort of odd thing happen where I died, but then a month later the game froze and I had to restart from the auto save from before I died. Well now I’ve gone two more years and I keep wondering when I’m gonna croak again.

Just before you win a very important claim war

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Is this working as intended?

I'm hoping that after I conduct a Hajj and get rid of my domain penalty it'll be all good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Those last screenshots gave me a good snort, each. Looks like the patch needs a bit more playtesting?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Edit: wait this isn't the hockey thread

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I sacrificed Caliph Fayiz of the Abbasid, and now the followers of Islam are out for my head. What they don't understand is that, since picking up the Making a Killing perk, I get 5 gold for every 100 fatal casualties.

More blood for the All-Father :kheldragar:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Has anyone figured out Struggle For Iberia? So far it just seems like base, but I'm pretty chill with everyone else in Iberia, despite cultural and religious differences. We're all declaring friendships with one another in a way reminiscent of Pakastani Facebook.

I noticed one or two extra events, but nothing mind blowing.

I think I should probably restart and invade as a viking. That might be more a splash.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I think you are supposed to make plays for territory you want while doing diplomacy/intrigue/bribing with other people to pump up the meters.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

My first hour or so impression starting as a one county Mozarabic count was that with the lack of holy wars and presence of interfatih marriage things are much more chill, but with everyone having super cheap mercs and a lot more access to allies war is a lot more about waiting for the right moment. At the same time a small little province you weren't taking seriously might suddenly ally with the gigantic blob of the other faith due to a marriage and invade you with a massive army of allies. But despite this general chillness my game made it to hostility first, as it seems that things like building farms in a castle holding increase hostility, which seems odd to me.

There are some really cool new casus belli that involve just wrecking people's poo poo and not bothering to conquer it, which is fun. And there is an interaction to raise rebels on someone and destabilize their realm, which seems like it should be available in more than just Iberia. In fact a lot of these cool new toys seem a bit wasted limited to one area, but as the struggle system expands to other region I assume we'll get more of it across the globe.

Playing chess is fun. :)

Also it might just be small sample size but I'm seeing a lot fewer kids.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Crashed twice entering the court screen where you can change your funding for food, fashion, and whatever. Then the Paradox error reporting thing crashed when I put in what happened and sent it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Fate of Iberia trip report on my Roman Empire save from the previous patch aka yesterday:

1. Control the Mediterranean is giving me 700 renown per month.

2. The Abbasid Empire shattered, assumedly from a Dissolution Faction, about 1 month after I unpaused the game after booting up.

3. I have a county that consists of a city and no other holdings, with no ruler, who is independent from my realm and who I cannot interact with.

Bugs? Features? I love Paradox patch day.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Warmachine posted:

edit: lmao something got hosed by the update in my ironman game

edit 2: I didn't actually mouse over the 25% and uh, I think something went squirrely with the "Control the Mediterranean" decision :stare:

code:
		house = {
			add_house_modifier = {
				modifier = fp2_controls_the_mediterranean_house_modifier
				years = 80
			}
		}
It's supposed to apply the 25% modifier to your house, instead it's applying it to every member of your house.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Dorkopotamis posted:

I think I should probably restart and invade as a viking. That might be more a splash.

norse to ireland to iberia then onto sicily is an extremely strong set of cultural traits and you can pull it off in like three generations with malleable invaders.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

boo boo bear posted:

norse to ireland to iberia then onto sicily is an extremely strong set of cultural traits and you can pull it off in like three generations with malleable invaders.

What traditions are you picking up in Ireland and Iberia?

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
the dockyard gold boost from ireland and artisans in iberia, you can grab pastoralism from either as well.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Blimpkin posted:

I'm thinking about reforming the Isma'ili faith but not sure what I would choose other than the Communal one that makes conversion easier. Maybe Communion.

Be forewarned: the bonus to conversion is only in counties that have the same culture as you. If they do not, it applies a penalty instead.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I've tried starting a game in Iberia to check out the struggle. I went with the "recommended" Guifré of Barcelona start - yeah I know it's deemed hard but it seemed more interesting than the count of Galicia or the weird mozarabic guy with a funny name - and it didn't take long to grab a couple alliances and wreck my liege's army, regaining the Duchy of Gothia and the county of Barcelona for myself and now my rival cousin is my vassal

I'm quite at a loss on how to proceed now though - I'm still a vassal to the King of France who looks very powerful and kinda unbeatable from where I stand... Ideally I guess I'd start angling for independence ASAP when I have the occasion, and then start nibbling at my Iberic neighbors, probably the kingdom of Navarra since the big muslim blob is still big and blobby? Guess I have a long way to get established enough to be an actual player (unless the muslim blob collapses and I can take some counts/dukes one on one...) and I'm not sure if I can make much of the struggle from this position

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 1, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TorakFade posted:

I've tried starting a game in Iberia to check out the struggle. I went with the "recommended" Guifré of Barcelona start - yeah I know it's deemed hard but it seemed more interesting than the count of Galicia or the weird mozarabic guy with a funny name - and it didn't take long to grab a couple alliances and wreck my liege's army, regaining the Duchy of Gothia and the county of Barcelona for myself and now my rival cousin is my vassal

I'm quite at a loss on how to proceed now though - I'm still a vassal to the King of France who looks very powerful and kinda unbeatable from where I stand... Ideally I guess I'd start angling for independence ASAP when I have the occasion, and then start nibbling at my Iberic neighbors, probably the kingdom of Navarra since the big muslim blob is still big and blobby? Guess I have a long way to get established enough to be an actual player (unless the muslim blob collapses and I can take some counts/dukes one on one...) and I'm not sure if I can make much of the struggle from this position

I started a game with the weird mozarabic count in Galicia and is going pretty well. He starts a bit stronger than his neighbours counts and is a good commander, so I was able to conquer than all in a few years. Than I was strong enough to break independent from the duke of Portucale and conquer him right after (that struggle CB is pretty great). Now Im building strength to attack the muslims to the south and form Portugal

Im not sure what I think of the struggle thing yet, but there seems of be a lot of small additions and improvements all around and the game seems to be running smoother. The iberian haircuts and clothes are great too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 1, 2022

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Neurion posted:

Be forewarned: the bonus to conversion is only in counties that have the same culture as you. If they do not, it applies a penalty instead.

Noted, I actually came to this realization myself and realized it would be so incredibly useless for me with my 1 county culture of Palestinian. It would actually instantly set OFF factions rather than bring the realm together. Also, apparently you can't reform/form a new Muslim faith if you are the head of faith.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

binge crotching posted:

code:
		house = {
			add_house_modifier = {
				modifier = fp2_controls_the_mediterranean_house_modifier
				years = 80
			}
		}
It's supposed to apply the 25% modifier to your house, instead it's applying it to every member of your house.

Edit 2: Reading this post again, I explained it poorly. Here's what's happening: a house modifier affects every member of the house. For example, the Witch Coven modifier only appears on the house screen, but it gives every house member +10% fertility, a disease resistance boost, and some hostile scheme resistance. So if you have a mouse modifier which gives +25% monthly renown, it gives every house member +25% monthly renown. The problem is that giving a single character +X% monthly renown actually affects the renown generation of the entire dynasty, not just that character. This, to my knowledge, has always been the case, and was something I discovered when modding. So this outcome seems intentional up to the point where every character is %-boosting the entire dynasty, which is almost certainly not intended. One would probably expect every character having a X% monthly renown modifier to only affect their personal renown generation, rather than that of the whole dynasty, but that's not how it works.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 1, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So where is El Cid for that new achievement?

Edit: Looked it up, he's in King Sancho's court. Gonna make a custom female ruler master of intrigue and get that boy to conbquer everything for me.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 1, 2022

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

These guys offering to lend me their piddly 500 troops gets annoying.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Metropolitan looks interesting, but it seems to be limited entirely to the spanish struggle. Not sure which area would be best for city spamming.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'm on the home stretch of my Nubia playthrough and I'm noticing that a lot of the cultures I gobbled up early in my game never really developed (probably because they were left with no landed characters, or with just a count with lovely stats and worse lineage). I never actually tried to convert cultures (outside of one or two juicy counties I kept for my demesne) and instead just promoted cultural acceptance to prevent peasant revolts (which largely worked, in the long run), but checking the development map is like looking at that satellite image of the North/South Korean border. It's probably not worth the trouble now since I've already cleared the tech tree and am swimming in cash, but for the future, would it be preferable to convert to my culture any small cultures that are left headless by my conquering? I don't have the expansion so I don't have access to the fancy hybrid culture stuff (I think). The only plus I could see at keeping these orphaned cultures would be if they had some fancy trait I could take advantage of (like the Somalians who I think had the coveted pirate tradition), but even then I'm not sure if it compensates for the development sink. Then again, if they're not going to be held by me directly, it can be better for my vassals to be stuck with the boonies rather than with territory that could actually net them a decent army and coffers.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Took Roma, and most of the Anointed Kingdom from the Pope, with an Invade Kingdom CB, which vassalized him in Bulgaria. He took the Duke of Spoleto with him.

He also left his coat of arms behind because the Papal Title has no Coat of Arms now. It's just transparent.

e:

I really want Temujin's grand-daughter to make this work.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 2, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The game has been freezing up on me a ton since the update. I’ve had freezing problems before, but it usually stops after a day. If this keeps up, I might have to stop playing.

I haven’t bought the latest release, but I hate to spend money to have the same problems.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

I'm on the home stretch of my Nubia playthrough and I'm noticing that a lot of the cultures I gobbled up early in my game never really developed (probably because they were left with no landed characters, or with just a count with lovely stats and worse lineage). I never actually tried to convert cultures (outside of one or two juicy counties I kept for my demesne) and instead just promoted cultural acceptance to prevent peasant revolts (which largely worked, in the long run), but checking the development map is like looking at that satellite image of the North/South Korean border. It's probably not worth the trouble now since I've already cleared the tech tree and am swimming in cash, but for the future, would it be preferable to convert to my culture any small cultures that are left headless by my conquering? I don't have the expansion so I don't have access to the fancy hybrid culture stuff (I think). The only plus I could see at keeping these orphaned cultures would be if they had some fancy trait I could take advantage of (like the Somalians who I think had the coveted pirate tradition), but even then I'm not sure if it compensates for the development sink. Then again, if they're not going to be held by me directly, it can be better for my vassals to be stuck with the boonies rather than with territory that could actually net them a decent army and coffers.

Generally, spreading your culture outside of your own counties is not a good idea; each extra county is likely to lower the relative development of your lands, which makes innovations slower, and more counties that are of your culture means it takes longer to add new traditions (though obviously these things aren't that much of a concern in your current game, I am speaking generally, since you did ask about future playthroughs). While in theory it's nice to have developed vassals so they pay you more in taxes, realistically it's not worth the effort of using your steward to try and improve them. Far better to focus on your domain instead. I'm pretty sure even the "collect taxes" task will give you better returns than trying to develop your vassals.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Unify the Spanish Thrones is a frickin trap option if you wanna end the Iberian struggle hostilely...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
These are 2 things I dont like in CK3: tech (innovations) being tied to specific cultures and the speed you get these innovations being related to average development of the culture (which means smaller cultures are in advantage)

I honestly think CK2 system was better

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
What are the thoughts on absolute crown authority once you’re at empire size? I kind of enjoy watching my vassals map paint without any effort on my part and I have plenty of levies and gold income.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What are the thoughts on absolute crown authority once you’re at empire size? I kind of enjoy watching my vassals map paint without any effort on my part and I have plenty of levies and gold income.

The real advantage of Absolute for me is not the levies or the gold, but being able to use "designate heir" (which is always useful and also can be used togheter with seniority to give you a way out of partition a lot earlier than primo/ultimo)

As for the vassals, I also like them to be able to freely declare wars so what I do when Im on absolute is to individually give war declaration rights to all of them or at least the big ones

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Buschmaki posted:

Unify the Spanish Thrones is a frickin trap option if you wanna end the Iberian struggle hostilely...

Yeah, it means you need to do a lot more culture conversion. The "control 2 kingdoms" requirement isn't noticeably harder, seeing as Navarra is right there. That said, Navarra is so tiny that it might be worthwhile to just focus your conversions on that kingdom, and switch your capital to the county of Navarra to satisfy the requirement.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, it means you need to do a lot more culture conversion. The "control 2 kingdoms" requirement isn't noticeably harder, seeing as Navarra is right there. That said, Navarra is so tiny that it might be worthwhile to just focus your conversions on that kingdom, and switch your capital to the county of Navarra to satisfy the requirement.

Lmao yeah that's what I did, just culture converted to Basque and formed Navarra, still super weird that the decision for consolidating the Spanish thrones doesnt synergize with the conquest resolution...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

These are 2 things I dont like in CK3: tech (innovations) being tied to specific cultures and the speed you get these innovations being related to average development of the culture (which means smaller cultures are in advantage)

I honestly think CK2 system was better

I've been warming up to in in this playthrough because one of the things I realized is that by hybridizing I can get techs WAY faster. What I don't like is that cultural (and faith) spread doesn't make any sense to me and the only way I seem to have to interact with it is

1) Make my Steward spend 20 years promoting my culture in one county, in which case if I wanted to make Greco-Basco-Norse culture spread throughout my current empire it would take longer than the entire span of time between 867 and 1453.
2) Place my vassals in place with my culture and hope they spread it instead of just converting. The state of the map suggests this is not what is happening.
3) Hope there is some esoteric background system where peasant migrations can spread it? And if so, this is probably working against the smaller culture anyway.

Replace 'culture' with 'faith' and you have my critique of the religion map as well. I don't understand how I'm supposed to meaningfully interact with these systems while playing wide.