Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This is the first time with your show where I watched the covered episode shortly before your podcast dropped. Handicapping for the standards of the show and the state of politics before Obama's ascent, I kind of enjoyed this episode in terms of its structure and character interactions. Maybe it's just because I haven't been steadily watching this show like you guys are, so I haven't been fatigued by it.

I too was confused by how the Amendment was dropped. If Senator Fundie simply said something like "The Amendment outlasted its usefulness; I'm just glad I got your attention" to Bartlet; that might have been good enough. And I too was amused how the White House was surprised that conservatives weren't talking about federalism in good faith.

My experience with Obama's speeches was that his 2004 Convention speech was more like "I wanted to like it" than actually liking it; I think I was trying to gaslight myself into agreeing with the liberal hivemind opinion at the time. I was only in high school, and I was still fishing around for a viable and shiny strand of liberalism in light of Bush/Cheney's psychopathic White House.

However, my experience with hearing Obama in person was quite different. Back in 2009; I had a near front row seat with him stumping for Jon Corzine's ill-fated reelection bid. I remember being sincerely enthralled, despite it being light on substance in the typical Obama hope-speechifying sense. (How does one polish the turd that was Jon Corzine's governorship? By not talking about it.)

Unrelated; I decided to watch the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man movies in preparation for No Way Home; and Martin Sheen's Uncle Ben was indistinguishable from President Dad; to the point where he starts being unintentionally unsympathetic at certain moments just like his West Wing character. In all fairness, Peter Parker was also written poorly enough that he too was hard to empathize with when Uncle Ben was dressing him down. I've seen Martin Sheen play characters besides Bartlet, but it's quite clear that whoever wrote this bad movie probably only imagined Sheen from the West Wing. poo poo movie; despite all the rightful hate the MCU receives, it's a reminder what was the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
he plays Gay Retiree President Dad in grace and frankie

but he’s had a lot of good roles, his voice is very good, no hate on Martin sheen himself

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm getting the impression that Bradley Whitford's 44 minute "ur gay lol" joke on Allison Janney didn't land for y'all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1505988893518270464

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Maybe this will finally be what causes Sorkin to jerk his dick off.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the last two years of high school i used my locker so infrequently, but just frequently enough, to show up and go "oh gently caress what is the combination to my locker" and just kinda spin it around with muscle memory hoping for the best. It was 34-18-26.

Kai Ryssdal Voice But First Let's Do The Numbers

had a great time with this one, holy poo poo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
THAT'S NUMBERWANG, MR. PRESIDENT

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Those numbers.
Oh my god those numbers. President god escribed the numbers from on high and deliverith them upon us.
There is no President but Bartlett and Lyman is his prophet.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

sorry, is the character actually named "Ronna", or were you doing a gag

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

sorry, is the character actually named "Ronna", or were you doing a gag

no, seriously the character is named Ronna. Ronna Beckman according to the fan wiki

https://westwing.fandom.com/wiki/Ronna_Beckman

she ends up taking over for Debby Fiderer after Santos is elected

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

okay

that's just not a name

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

okay

that's just not a name

i imagine she was only named that so the writers could do that Donna/Ronna joke

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

we all remember when martin sheen said that iconic uncle ben line:

quote:

Your father, he lived by a philosophy, a principle, really. He believed that if you could do good things for other people, you had a moral obligation to do those things! That's what's at stake here. Not choice. Responsibility.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Doc Hawkins posted:

okay

that's just not a name

i think i might be able to help with the Ronna-Donna dilemma

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

why wasn't she named Shawna???!?!?

e: im going to have to actively practice not thinking about this

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
WE'RE BACK

It's a short one this week

I'm so ready to be done with this poo poo!!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It was actually George W. Bush who last raised the federal minimum wage, of all people. After the 2006 Dem wave. Maybe Pelosi refuses to do so again under Biden because in her 82-year-old brain she recalls she already "recently" did it.

Obama didn't raise the minimum wage near the end of his administration, when there were plenty of signs it was already too low. A generous reading would be he thought maybe Hillary would have done it, and we all know what happened. But of course, there's the less generous reading: him not giving a poo poo.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

It was actually George W. Bush who last raised the federal minimum wage, of all people. After the 2006 Dem wave. Maybe Pelosi refuses to do so again under Biden because in her 82-year-old brain she recalls she already "recently" did it.

Obama didn't raise the minimum wage near the end of his administration, when there were plenty of signs it was already too low. A generous reading would be he thought maybe Hillary would have done it, and we all know what happened. But of course, there's the less generous reading: him not giving a poo poo.

ah OK, also the reason I remember it is because it went INTO EFFECT during the Obama years, the last hike processed in July 2009.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
creating posts and content helps keep the despair stomped down

Ah memories, fond recollections of the final nail in the coffin of my regard for electoral politics

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Will Bailey wants to gently caress an ice cream sandwich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d3QtKjqcHE

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WampaLord posted:

Will Bailey wants to gently caress an ice cream sandwich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d3QtKjqcHE

Oh like you don't

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I recall enjoying this episode. On a more atmospheric level.

The tone they were going for, especially during that DESIRE montage, was probably to show the snippets of humanity during the grind that is the caucus. (Which, of course comes at the expense of Iowa, which is probably a nice place if you see it more than as a stepping stone for political power.)

But as you guys implied, it inadvertently captures the deeper bleak nature of a political system in crisis. I hope it might have flared up some thoughts in a 2005 viewer's head.

Thoughts like "Is this what politics is now? Some DC hacks chasing special interest groups in some state with disproportionate leverage once every four years? Is this what America won WWII and the Cold War for? Our end of history? This is what democracy really is? Even after we get rid of George Bush, this is it?"

And then Obama-mania came and many of us temporarily handwaved these thoughts away.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm not sure what part it was but your post just sparked this thought in mind:

The second Santos becomes the nominee, the entire summer camp industry is going to rise up and start slamming him with attack ad after attack ad for trying to implement a longer school year.

*photoshopped picture of Matt Santos to make him look evil spins into frame*

"Matt Santos wants to take away your child's summer vacation! Vote for Arnie Vinnick, who respects America's institutions, like summer! Paid for by the Committee for Summer in America SuperPAC"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
An unrelated thought I had while the Matt Santos plot gains more steam is what effect, if any, Geena Davis's "Commander in Chief" had on the show's evolution. It may have disappeared into the memory hole, but I remember it creating somewhat of an impression on people since there was some excitement among some liberals over the chance of the US getting its first woman president even then. Its plots felt more like a conventional network drama from the few episodes I watched; it was more milquetoast than even post-Sorkin West Wing. And it was unambiguously lib-brained third way, to the point where Geena Davis' character was an independent, but not in any way that could have harmed the two-party status quo.

The 2008 Dem Primary could have gone either to the first woman or the first POC, and The West Wing's writers went with Hispanic Obama.

Bartlet was sort of a way to reimagine the Bill Clinton presidency without the Clinton baggage. It's possible maybe some of them might have wanted to imagine a Hillary candidacy without the Clinton baggage as well before they were possibly preempted. I'm not sure how aware the West Wing writers' were at that time of CIC and other West Wing-wannabe shows.

It was probably for the show's better. An Obama-esque figure was more of a blank slate than doing a whitewashed Hillary, and real Obama ultimately won out anyway.

(There's also just an entire alternate history of the last 15 years that could be written if Hillary won in '08 and the proto-Karens took control of the liberal project, and then the financial meltdown and Black Lives Matter happened anyway; and there was a more awkward line of communication between the White House and BIPOC liberal leadership, which interests me more as a POC that feels completely alienated from the self-appointed class of political and cultural leaders who supposedly "represent" us. Thoughts for another day, I guess...)

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 16:53 on May 11, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pee Pee
Doo Doo
You are Goon Podcasters

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the image for this episode is ten years old

lmao

https://soundcloud.com/theworstwing69/s6e12-the-wake-up-call

any

Day

NOW

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
each miserable episode brings us closer to the end

thank you TV Jesus

Do not watch this episode. You can listen to our podcast if you can stomach me saying "ultimately" like seventy times.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

each miserable episode brings us closer to the end

in more ways than one :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

bahaha I am absolutely here for a live commentary of that loving live debate episode

I hadn't thought about the live santos ad vs. bartlet walking to congress, it's a good comparison

haven't had much to say about the last few episodes. y'all are killing it and I figure you don't need a content-free "good ep" posted every time, but they're good eps

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

pokeyman posted:

bahaha I am absolutely here for a live commentary of that loving live debate episode

I hadn't thought about the live santos ad vs. bartlet walking to congress, it's a good comparison

haven't had much to say about the last few episodes. y'all are killing it and I figure you don't need a content-free "good ep" posted every time, but they're good eps

it’s still nice to hear, thank you :3

our semi regular chats are a carryover from the before times, the long long ago. so although deep inside my brain there’s an understanding that that world is stone dead, it’s nice to have a through line, to remind me that many other people have come along on this ride (both podcast and life) and will be right there on the other side just like they were back then.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

The 2008 Dem Primary could have gone either to the first woman or the first POC, and The West Wing's writers went with Hispanic Obama.

They couldn't even commit to that as they had to have him married to the whitest white lady. Also, his positions are basically Republican talking points.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Acinonyx posted:

They couldn't even commit to that as they had to have him married to the whitest white lady. Also, his positions are basically Republican talking points.

Yeah, let's not forget that one of the planks of his big education policy is "end teacher tenure" lmao

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

Acinonyx posted:

I think he is also anti-abortion whereas Alan Alda is pro choice. there’s an episode where some abortion rights group is going to endorse Alda and Josh has a confrontation with them only to find out his guy isn’t pro choice.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Ya, he's also against immigration. He has nothing but Republican ideas, but with an exciting identity. Very third way.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
eyyy she won't be experiencing any uh DROUGHT CONDITIONS once she gets a loada me, you know what I'm saying EH? HEH HEH

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

eyyy she won't be experiencing any uh DROUGHT CONDITIONS once she gets a loada me, you know what I'm saying EH? HEH HEH

No wetland drilling. 0 stars.

It actually sounded like you liked this episode. Because they were being witty and accidentally admited they have the power to do things.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The true Politcal Capital was the bros we met along the way.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HootTheOwl posted:

No wetland drilling. 0 stars.

It actually sounded like you liked this episode. Because they were being witty and accidentally admited they have the power to do things.

it was fun, had action and a big presence of guest stars

so, imagine the opposite of most west wing eps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

it's been awhile since I saw this episode, but since y'all didn't mention it, I feel secure in saying they don't explicitly make any connection between toby's astronaut brother's health and toby/bartlet making noise specifically about healthcare? which is I think very smart, because a) there's no need to say every connection out loud and b) it wouldn't make a ton of sense (I assume nasa has decent health insurance for astronauts)

the exchange between kate and cj of
"what happened to your boob?"
"really?"
cracks me up as very un-erudite dialogue. which sorkin was adept at deploying, but it takes the b-team a couple seasons to work up the confidence

also re: why are they worrying about coffee stains when there's ostensibly a government to run, I think they get halfway there with a sexist joke? would've been cooler if they finished the thought