Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My one experience with a general was when I was an E-fuzzy at CIF in Korea. I saw a guy bent over trying to get a poo poo ton of stuff he'd just been given into his ruck and duffels, and I wander over and say "hey buddy, you need a hand?"

And he just looks up and says "Naah, I'm good brother, I've had a bit of practice at this".

"no worries" I say, and then the staff sergeant who was walking us around our in processing rushes up to me and says "you know that was a 2 star general, right? What the gently caress did you just say?"

"Just asked him if he needed a hand, and he said he's got it". He just stared at me like I'd committed a sex crime right in front of him. I think he was the new post commander for Yongsan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I never understood the weird, I don't want to say reverence but the whatever the gently caress enlisted folks have for flag officers. Like bro they're just upper management they're just people that stayed at on job a long time what is so hard to understand about this

Re: docs I know a FGO physician ARMY side and his stories from Afghanistan and Iraq are just a cavalcade of disregard for the Geneva convention from all sides. They're one of those weirdo don't ask anything of your troops you won't do alongside them officers, though, which maybe isn't the best use of Uncle Sam's medical asset when you're a physician in an infantry BN

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 1, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

I get what you're saying, but "surgeon" or "nurse" is a job that I'm perfectly okay with that practitioner having no other skills of military relevance. Literally anyone else can pick up that slack. Just be good at putting people back together. If bullets are flying they should not have anything more important to do.

It is arguably more dangerous to have people unfamiliar with basics of combat, and basic handling of a firearm, to wander about a combat zone. Forward Surgical Teams can literally have dental assistants defend the roof with a M249 as the surgeries are happening. Situations can get volatile.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

I never understood the weird, I don't want to say reverence but the whatever the gently caress enlisted folks have for flag officers. Like bro they're just upper management they're just people that stayed at on job a long time what is so hard to understand about this

Re: docs I know a FGO physician ARMY side and his stories from Afghanistan and Iraq are just a cavalcade of disregard for the Geneva convention from all sides

Hmm yes it is very curious the enlisted, with everything to lose and very little to gain, who live in a caste system at the mercy of the nobles appointed over them might be afraid of their overlords.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sometimes you get guys like this dentist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_L._Salomon

His MoH citation:

quote:

Captain Ben L. Salomon was serving at Saipan, in the Marianas Islands on July 7, 1944, as the Surgeon for the 2nd Battalion, 105th Infantry Regiment, 27th Infantry Division. The Regiment’s 1st and 2d Battalions were attacked by an overwhelming force estimated between 3,000 and 5,000 Japanese soldiers. It was one of the largest attacks attempted in the Pacific Theater during World War II. Although both units fought furiously, the enemy soon penetrated the Battalions’ combined perimeter and inflicted overwhelming casualties. In the first minutes of the attack, approximately 30 wounded soldiers walked, crawled, or were carried into Captain Salomon’s aid station, and the small tent soon filled with wounded men. As the perimeter began to be overrun, it became increasingly difficult for Captain Salomon to work on the wounded. He then saw a Japanese soldier bayoneting one of the wounded soldiers lying near the tent. Firing from a squatting position, Captain Salomon quickly killed the enemy soldier. Then, as he turned his attention back to the wounded, two more Japanese soldiers appeared in the front entrance of the tent. As these enemy soldiers were killed, four more crawled under the tent walls. Rushing them, Captain Salomon kicked the knife out of the hand of one, shot another, and bayoneted a third. Captain Salomon butted the fourth enemy soldier in the stomach and a wounded comrade then shot and killed the enemy soldier. Realizing the gravity of the situation, Captain Salomon ordered the wounded to make their way as best they could back to the regimental aid station, while he attempted to hold off the enemy until they were clear. Captain Salomon then grabbed a rifle from one of the wounded and rushed out of the tent. After four men were killed while manning a machine gun, Captain Salomon took control of it. When his body was later found, 98 dead enemy soldiers were piled in front of his position. Captain Salomon’s extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I joined at 30 after a corporate career man, I didn't get issued the live in fear due to caste system kit the 18 year olds got

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

I've never met anyone but SNCOs who gave a gently caress about Flag Officers. Everyone I knew of generally thought they were useless, overpaid assholes who make the decisions that get us hosed.

With some exceptions- historical figures, and the aura around Saint Mattis.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Hmm yes it is very curious the enlisted, with everything to lose and very little to gain, who live in a caste system at the mercy of the nobles appointed over them might be afraid of their overlords.

Ever read, Memoirs of a Bangkok Warrior, by Dean Barrett?

A character in that book has this whole elaborate map of poo poo rolling down hill, ending up with the enlisted, who are standing about mouth deep in it. "Why enlisted men don't make waves."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

maffew buildings posted:

I remember thinking about that divide a long time ago, and i slowly concluded that any disphit Joe can make a mistake that gets a good guy killed.

Generals make decisions they know will get good guys killed as part of the process. It's loving gruesome that abstracted, but it's what unsettled me around star bearers

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

Ever read, Memoirs of a Bangkok Warrior, by Dean Barrett?

A character in that book has this whole elaborate map of poo poo rolling down hill, ending up with the enlisted, who are standing about mouth deep in it. "Why enlisted men don't make waves."

I have not seen it, but makes sense. I'll check the kindle with kindle credits.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The enlisted aren't people to them.
They are abstracts, cells on a spreadsheet with color coded demise, bullet points in a brief. On one hand, they NEED to think of us as a number, but on the other, they should consider the human factor much, MUCH more.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

When I was on medical holdover at Brooks Army, I got the privilege of being tasked as a Range Safety NCO at Camp Bullis for newly commissioned doctors and nurses firearms familiarity training. I did not have to provide instruction thank god, just make sure that they did not get anywhere close to ammunition until they were in their firing positions. I have never seen the look of sheer resignation on a Master Sergeant's as when the new officers lined up for the range safety briefing. I have no loving clue why he hadn't snapped.

I spent 14 months getting mortared in Iraq.

I have never, ever, ever come as close to dying as the range we ran for Eisenhower AMC on Fort Gordon.

If I could go back in time, I'd just have knocked the 50 year old orthodontist O-5 on her rear end before she got to flag me the third time with a loaded pistol, and taken the court martial.

edit- put it this way, after a range day, our 1SG told us "gently caress it, we'll clean weapons next week. Everybody go the gently caress home"

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Re: docs I know a FGO physician ARMY side and his stories from Afghanistan and Iraq are just a cavalcade of disregard for the Geneva convention from all sides. They're one of those weirdo don't ask anything of your troops you won't do alongside them officers, though, which maybe isn't the best use of Uncle Sam's medical asset when you're a physician in an infantry BN

If you're at the bottom of the tree you just always, always have to be careful around senior officers. Like not only can you get yourself in trouble, but real simple stuff get get other in trouble.

A while back, I very senior guy was chatting to us and asked us how our communications were. Usually I'd say something like 'Could be better, but they good job at filtering out the bullshit'. However, if I'd said it to this guy, he'd have leapt into action and suddenly every private would be getting every change to coffee cup policy and regular force augmentation opportunity making GBS threads up their personal inbox.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Remember the "I have eight bosses" bit from Office Space?

Imagine those eight bosses have literally nothing better to do than to jump on any break in protocol or uniform shortcomings you may have.

Now imagine those eight bosses have the ability to send you to jail for rolling your eyes at them.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I ran into an admiral who was probably one of the only high ranking people I met in person who seem cool while lost at nmcp Portsmourth who seemed to appreciate I didn’t do anything weird or freak out about it so he told some panicked looking JO that was with him he was good.

He was a white dude brown hair and a mustache and I think I heard later he was actually kinda famous for just not giving a gently caress about uniform regs or formalities in general and was like the only cool person on the navy brass which scans from my like two minute conversation. Any guesses?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You guys are reminding me of a few later episodes for the Death wears Duckie Jammies thread, because holy hell should I never be allowed around officers.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Why bother to get generals to re-certify (?) with weapons anyway? Surely if you're at that rank and you're anywhere close to needing a weapon the situation is already irreparably hosed?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Not if you’re BEN SHAPIROBRETT HAWTHORN 6’5” COMBAT GENERAL

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hyperlynx posted:

Why bother to get generals to re-certify (?) with weapons anyway? Surely if you're at that rank and you're anywhere close to needing a weapon the situation is already irreparably hosed?

Usually, but sometimes having a general who can shoot helps.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A lot of the time it's just an opportunity to get some time on the tools and check out one of your field units rolled into one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Thanks for the explanation. My main problem was that I didn't realize that thing was a pistol. :sweatdrop:

I've seen pistols before (and shot a .22 a couple of times), but the angle made it not stand out as such.

Well at least if you didn’t confuse it for a phone, you’re doing better than most cops.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I guess it helps remind them where they came from, sorta, kinda.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Sometimes you get guys like this dentist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_L._Salomon

His MoH citation:

Yeah ok but could he pull a tooth without the patient screaming?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1532100583590711296

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Its hard to retain that knowledge and perspective so there can be value in doing it as a reminder in how everyone at the tip of the spear operates and the challenges they face. Its just difficult to dedicate the time.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

How does this keep happening?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

All I know is that it's hilarious that it does.

I feel like the War Thunder devs could easily honeypot a shitload of classified material if they just randomly nerfed pieces of military equipment in game until some goober with classified access rages and leaks docs to justify their argument that the piece shouldn't have been nerfed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A lot of this conversation is so weird to me because in the Israeli military pretty much everybody starts as enlisted.

One time in basic training (the bulk of my service, as I have stated before I ended up getting a medical discharge) I ran into the base commander, probably the highest rank I saw there, with another recruit, and basically saluted while babbling incoherently and he just saluted back and moved on without giving us any trouble.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Crossed the Kum river, eh?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

War Thunder devs have literally begged the community "don't leak us classified info you loving morons, we don't want our game to be that real"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It would all make for one hell of a DLC pack though :allears:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Three letter agencies showing up at your house and putting a bag over your head could be considered an alternate reality game.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Casimir Radon posted:

Three letter agencies showing up at your house and putting a bag over your head could be considered an alternate reality game.

There's certainly going to be some "arg" in your future

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A lot of this conversation is so weird to me because in the Israeli military pretty much everybody starts as enlisted.

Same with the FDF, you can't make it to the officer academy without doing the national service first. One time I was posted to watch the entry gate of a garrison and there was a thing you did if a general came up, basically you would salute and declare "watchpost xyz, x amount of men present, sir" or something like that. I encountered just one general in all that time, and older dude on an ancient bicycle with a ratty t-shirt and worn shorts. I was lucky I am always polite to random people and when that dude showed his ID which said "major-general" he wasn't pissed off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moon Slayer posted:

Because it's literally always happened, nerds are eternal and universal.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My last unit, our highest-ranking officer was an O6 and was cool as hell. Our entire regimental command was actually hardcore and qualified like their lives depended on it and actually did more than the money jumps to stay qualified for Airborne pay. After leaving 82nd, that seemed like voodoo poo poo.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Idiot for buying a Tesla and getting your license suspended because the company doesn't give a poo poo I guess lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/uyyxwe/my_license_is_getting_indefinitely_suspended/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Idiot for buying a Tesla and getting your license suspended because the company doesn't give a poo poo I guess lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/uyyxwe/my_license_is_getting_indefinitely_suspended/

lol there are other stories saying the same thing in that thread. Also ,

quote:

I don't have documentation from Tesla that I returned the vehicle at all.

Why would you just walk away and be like “well guess that’s how it’s done!”

That’s absolutely moronic.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I leased a car way back in 2000 and when i returned it to the bank three years later i just went in to their lease office and handed over the keys. i asked about a receipt or any other paperwork and they were just like nah have a good day bye. Again this was with a legit major bank and it seemed absolutely insane to me but never heard a thing about it ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

`Nemesis posted:

I leased a car way back in 2000 and when i returned it to the bank three years later i just went in to their lease office and handed over the keys. i asked about a receipt or any other paperwork and they were just like nah have a good day bye. Again this was with a legit major bank and it seemed absolutely insane to me but never heard a thing about it ever again.

They, unlike Tesla, probably knew the very basics of their jobs.