Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
“Settle down” says the guy who posted 9 times on this page ranting about a YouTuber and perceived “cancel culture hive mind” lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
THIS page? Wow, don't you have egg on your face. Canceled.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

feedmyleg posted:

THIS page? Wow, don't you have egg on your face. Canceled.

gently caress! Hoisted by my own petard!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
You know what I'm outraged over?? loving Pluto TV doesn't have a search function! How the hell am I supposed to watch Q: The Winged Serpent?!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm currently outraged over how bad Obi Wan The Show is

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to finish the first episode. I'll probably keep watching at some point, but will be skipping any Inquisitors scenes that Ewan McGregor isn't in. They're so embarrassingly lame.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Stranger Things s4 is better than seasons 2 and 3, and close to as good as s1, IMO.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wolfsheim posted:

I finished the 3rd episode, and it's fine so far, but what's the point? That's the general problem with prequels is that we already know how everything is going to turn out, and I don't see a promise of something drastic to change our perception of any of the characters or the overall story.

On the other hand, Rogue One was a prequel that worked well for me, because it heightened the urgency of the events in A New Hope. I think it's the rare prequel that actually elevated the stakes. This, not so much so far.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Stranger Things s4 is better than seasons 2 and 3, and close to as good as s1, IMO.

Yeah, I loved season 1 so much, but season 2 and 3 sort of lost me. Season 4 part 1 has been a huge step up, although I don't really think we needed 8, 90 minute episodes (or however long they were), which make up only half the season.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere
Very disappointed in Pistol, gave up after 20 mins. The dialogue was so unnatural, though I suppose that could be what they were going for.

Plays song on jukebox, elaborates at length on the first time he heard the song to a girl he hardly knows, possibly with words verbatim from the autobiography it's based on.

Seemed to get good reviews, but not for me.

Maybe watch Never Mind the Baubles on YouTube instead - it's about them playing a miners benefit.

snoot fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 1, 2022

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I loved season 1 so much, but season 2 and 3 sort of lost me. Season 4 part 1 has been a huge step up, although I don't really think we needed 8, 90 minute episodes (or however long they were), which make up only half the season.

I believe part 2 is just 2 more episodes. Maybe they're 3 hours long, who knows.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Glottis posted:

I believe part 2 is just 2 more episodes. Maybe they're 3 hours long, who knows.

Part 2 is indeed two more episodes

Episode 7, which is 85 minutes long

And episode 8, the finale, which is 2hr 30min. Both runtimes already confirmed

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brocktoon posted:

“Settle down” says the guy who posted 9 times on this page ranting about a YouTuber and perceived “cancel culture hive mind” lmao

what in the literal world haha

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Did not see that coming. Nice to be pleasantly surprised for once

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I agree S4 is one of their best efforts but its probably a bad sign that its because they've fully segmented characters I do not care about (Mike, Will, Jonathan) and all the adults are in a completely different show. It's a weird feeling but heads and tails above S3.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Season three was awesome so I can’t wait. By far my favorite not even close

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

I have bad news for you.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I mean season one was incredible so if it’s a return to that I’m also happy

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

I mean season one was incredible so if it’s a return to that I’m also happy

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm also a S3 fanboy, and put it basically on the same level as S1, even though there's a different quality to the two seasons.

S1 ≥ S3 >> S2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> S4

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ok gonna watch and report back I guess but my default stance is that I like things so I assume I’m gonna like this one too

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Chris James 2 posted:

Part 2 is indeed two more episodes

Episode 7, which is 85 minutes long

And episode 8, the finale, which is 2hr 30min. Both runtimes already confirmed

drat. Tentatively, seems like a great system to me. They basically save the third act of the season until after people get to stew on it a bit and also drive up hype, assuming people enjoyed it. Which they should... not sure how you could be still watching this show and not like this season. Then again, I'm one of the weirdos that liked S2.

It's an interesting compromise between the binge and episodic release, and actually probably narratively better than splitting it right down the middle.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Bone Tomahawk was...honestly just kinda okay. Like a mediocre-ish genre film. but also racist as gently caress. Sorry that triggers you, white boy. :shrug:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Seriously tho for a film that brutal it was also incredibly forgettable. But naturally it's also in the sweetspot of "what lame rear end goons loved in 2015"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I remember it being brutal cannibal poo poo but yea otherwise forgettable and I definitely watched it because I saw it recommended on this website lmao

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The director seems like the kind of guy who would lie about reading Blood Meridian

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's got really memorable bits and a couple of good characters. When it's hitting, it's hitting. But then there's a whole lot of movie around it that's just kind of there. And yeah, in light of some of his later stuff hand waving away the racism is harder.

Honestly it's more a statement on how badly people want a gritty western/Blood Meridian adaptation that definitely won't turn out like a monkey's paw wish (^efb, but lol).

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Bone tomahawk in isolation is pretty decent but then you realize the creator is a fascist and it makes the whole thing really gross really fast.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A MIRACLE posted:

I remember it being brutal cannibal poo poo but yea otherwise forgettable and I definitely watched it because I saw it recommended on this website lmao

What I remember was Conan gushing unprompted about it to homeboy during an interview to promote Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and then I watched it and it was gross.

It sucks to get treated like a side of beef while still alive and conscious but it makes you think about where your burgs come from too, like Cloud Atlas.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Brawl in Cell Block 99 was way better than Bone Tomahawk.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Hacks is very funny.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hostiles was the better Bone Tomahawk and Shot Caller was the better Cell Block 99.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

It's weird just how poorly much of the action is shot and edited. They had a drat parkour rooftop chase with a blaster shootout and somehow managed to make it feel limp and devoid of energy.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Seriously tho for a film that brutal it was also incredibly forgettable. But naturally it's also in the sweetspot of "what lame rear end goons loved in 2015"

Boondock Saints for the 2010s.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Hacks is very funny.

Hacks is great. Final 2 episodes of the season are up, right? I'm glad we're in the middle of a Jean Smartaissance

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

Hacks is great. Final 2 episodes of the season are up, right? I'm glad we're in the middle of a Jean Smartaissance

Yep, just uploaded a few hours ago. Just started the finale now

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Bone Tomahawk was...honestly just kinda okay. Like a mediocre-ish genre film. but also racist as gently caress. Sorry that triggers you, white boy. :shrug:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

while you're not wrong, i would caution against these kind of posts, because you really, really come off as an antagonistic rear end in a top hat, and i do not think it is intentional

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

has anyone watched slow horses / is it good

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I am an antagonist rear end in a top hat tbh. I dont think media with problematic content is inherently worthless or bad tho, or that people are "bad" who consume them, I just think the "toxic" parts need to be recognized with open eyes. And I get annoyed when people get defensive about that.

Now Vibes on Amazon Prime. Extremely problematic to kill Peter Falk in any situation, esp when he's the funniest part of an otherwise mid "comedy central rerun movie you watch while hungover on a sunday afternoon"

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

has anyone watched slow horses / is it good

I liked it. It’s a fun airport fiction adaptation with some decent twists, there are a few parts that really tested my ability to suspend belief, but it’s still enjoyable and Gary Oldman rules.

I was surprised that they show a trailer at the end for the second season that looks fully formed though. Must be coming out soon.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Starks posted:

I was surprised that they show a trailer at the end for the second season that looks fully formed though. Must be coming out soon.

I haven't watched it yet, but it was announced yesterday they got picked up for seasons 3 and 4 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Hostiles was the better Bone Tomahawk and Shot Caller was the better Cell Block 99.

Shot Caller was good as hell