Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

insta posted:

I've tried to get into the DLC. Please help.

I typically megabase on vanilla, 40-70 dupes, infinitely sustainable bases, don't breach the surface until well past cycle 800. My current map is 1600 cycles, and the steam rockets are loaded but not launched yet.

What's my path towards making the DLC work?

Have you tried the classic start? You can't megabase quite the same way but you can build quite a bit before you start fooling with other asteroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

insta posted:

I've tried to get into the DLC. Please help.

I typically megabase on vanilla, 40-70 dupes, infinitely sustainable bases, don't breach the surface until well past cycle 800. My current map is 1600 cycles, and the steam rockets are loaded but not launched yet.

What's my path towards making the DLC work?

The trick is Rads!
(for interplanetary transport)
But just 2 naturally planted wheezeworts + some space on a collector is enough to fire a couple of packets of junk a cycle, fine for automatic volcano planets, which is the eventual 'aim'. Far off asteroids that are either fully automated, or have just 1 or 2 dupes, and launch stuff back to the main colony. This is where you get automatic inifinite resources from.

The next issue is colonising. The bare-knuckle way is this:
1 Orbital Payload dispenser with 2k of pure metal
1 trailblazer of the same metal
A 2-man capsule with O2 masks or enviro suits

When you get to orbit of the new home, fire the payload dispensor. It will dump the metal in 200kg bullets over the surface. Drop the trailblazer where there are 2 of these close. Open these, dismantle the trailblazer, and you have 800kg of metal to build a rocket pad. Build this, and build ladders, call down the pod, finish off ladder system, get inside to breath again! Remember to do this JUST AFTER the trailblazing dupe has woken up. This then gives you a safe base to work from. If food/oxygen in the capsule get low, just blast off back home.

It's a bit hairy, but once you establish a landing pad, then it's just a case of send as many over as you can fit/sustain, and try top make automated thingies. I tend to have small colonies of like 2-3 on the asteroids. If you look back I have some pics of my metal volcano base that is just 2 dupes and 6(?) volcanoes, just set up to cool and send the metal back to the main base for all eternity.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dareon posted:

-I suppose at high pressure it's a moot point, but is there a reason for the metal tiles instead of airflow? Higher decor?
yeah, higher decor

eventually i switched to carpet ones, since they're even higher, but it probably doesn't matter ultimately. i just had no reeds on my home world

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Metal tiles also have a bigger run speed bonus

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Panty Saluter posted:

Metal tiles also have a bigger run speed bonus

The advantage of carpet tiles is that it gives a negative stress buff to Dupes that stand on it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Oh for sure, I usually throw it down in the great hall and maybe bedrooms

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There has been a crab living wild on the surface of my teleporter asteroid for several generations now.

the_FERRET
Dec 3, 2008
Finished my all achievement run, "The Ultra Colony".

Screenshots of my two primary bases (and other related pics) can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/TSqPsL0

Let me know if you'd like designs for my reactor, rocket modules, or anything else really.

edit: It took me 1450 cycles (373.42 hours time played). It's safe to say I'm ready to delete this game :)

the_FERRET fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 23, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I started a "Classic Start" Dave and am now in absolute awe of how big it is. I've found the teleporter, but have no desire to use it. I can just dig a little deeper to get what I need!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Been putzing around with an evaporative cooling solution for volcanoes. It's...interesting? Ethanol is uniquely suited to the task given it's relatively low evaporation temperature. It transfers its heat through the metal tile quickly and the water settles on its temperature after the ethanol condenses again. It worked OK passive for a little while, but I'm in a pretty cold biome too. Currently I have an AT cooling the pool to se what it will do when it drops to sub-freezing. I suppose a steam generator is inevitable though

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

Been putzing around with an evaporative cooling solution for volcanoes. It's...interesting? Ethanol is uniquely suited to the task given it's relatively low evaporation temperature. It transfers its heat through the metal tile quickly and the water settles on its temperature after the ethanol condenses again. It worked OK passive for a little while, but I'm in a pretty cold biome too. Currently I have an AT cooling the pool to se what it will do when it drops to sub-freezing. I suppose a steam generator is inevitable though

I think you may have accidentally discovered ethanol rain cooling. It's not just because of its low evaporation temperature.

https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Ethanol

quote:

Due to the specific heat capacity difference between the liquid and gas, repeatedly boiling and condensing ethanol can serve as a heat deletion method

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Interesting. It transfers a good amount of heat because the water pool came up a few degrees after a few eruptions, so I threw in an AT and am freezing the water because...well because I can, basically. Kind of curious to see if it cools faster or just takes more heat. Probably the latter.

The one cool (heh) benefit is that it will keep dropping temp well after eruptions stop. It takes a while to reheat the ethanol but it will still evaporate occasionally. If it's actually deleting some heat that's a bonus.

Now I want to try an actual heat pipe type design. Some metal tile towers rising into the cold side? Ethanol between plates? The mind boggles....

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Panty Saluter posted:

Now I want to try an actual heat pipe type design. Some metal tile towers rising into the cold side? Ethanol between plates? The mind boggles....

Ethanol difference isn't that great, just 0.3 heat capacity.
If you want drastic heat deletion you need DLC and nuclear waste - 7.44 of liquid becomes 0.265 of gas. Another quirk is that it boils at 530 but condenses back at 63 so there's even more deletion.
Don't quite know what would be a good use for it, maybe cooling volcano outputs for something extra-hot like tungsten/niobium.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Ethanol difference isn't that great, just 0.3 heat capacity.
If you want drastic heat deletion you need DLC and nuclear waste - 7.44 of liquid becomes 0.265 of gas. Another quirk is that it boils at 530 but condenses back at 63 so there's even more deletion.
Don't quite know what would be a good use for it, maybe cooling volcano outputs for something extra-hot like tungsten/niobium.

Holy poo poo there's no way they don't balance that out.

Koshne
Apr 22, 2008
Klei Fest is Coming June 2nd!

Oxygen Not Included:
Our new content pack called "Fast Friends" includes some big performance boosts in both the base game and Spaced Out! DLC. We also have four new Duplicants, four new critter morphs and a dozen brand new Duplicant outfits craftable at the Clothing Refashionator building.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

insta posted:

Holy poo poo there's no way they don't balance that out.

Eh... heat deletion isn't so OP by the time you actually have access to large quantities of nuclear waste. I guess it's handy in the case of something really hot that you want to cool down on an isolated planet where you don't need much power, like the lava planet in the DLC.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

That's not enough gas storage.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
What building is that?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Medium gas reservoir, from a mod. It's the same 150 as the regular one, just a smaller footprint.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Oh. Goody.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I almost feel guilty when I get good geysers. I want ones that will gently caress up my base for a hundred cycles as I try half-assed builds to tame them.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I just thought it was funny that I got a cool geyser on Rime, where it is not nearly as useful as it is on other asteroids. That being said, I did find a Hot Steam Vent a little later and it's now melting glaciers and providing heat for a greenhouse (Pincha Peppers, natch).

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

I just thought it was funny that I got a cool geyser on Rime, where it is not nearly as useful as it is on other asteroids. That being said, I did find a Hot Steam Vent a little later and it's now melting glaciers and providing heat for a greenhouse (Pincha Peppers, natch).

Rime is no match for the tepidizer.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My swampy start had ice biomes on both sides, so my crops were so cold I stuck my industry next to them. I actually used a space heater for a little bit, then I realized a kiln actually outputs more heat.

I melted one of the ice biomes by dropping literally every rock from the hydrogen/chlorine biome above it onto the ice, then opening a cool steam vent into the resulting brine/water/pwater lake. Then, as my hydrogen vent started erupting, I realized I'd hosed up my cage for it and the heat was conducting through the airlock and making 200-degree chlorine in the area my dupes had to walk. Vacuum locking it off was made more complicated by my dupes still being in oxygen masks and exhaling in the airlock. Definitely need exosuits online before I do much more.

The other ice biome is providing chill for my food storage. And too much chill for the rest of the base as I try to pipe the sub-zero pwater from a geyser over into the melted biome where it can join the brine from a slush geyser and the water from the steam vent, hopefully evening out at above zero so I don't need to heat it all up before desalinating/filtering it and running it through electrolyzers.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

insta posted:

Rime is no match for the tepidizer.

Oh yeah, the tepidizer got me started. The bigger issue is had very little liquid water to start, so I couldn't really run it in a lot of places. The metal refinery is super helpful in this case, I just ran the output around the map to heat glaciers or farms, etc. Now I have so. much. refined. metal. :v:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Back before Spaced Out came out, someone made a mod that created a world where everything except the tiny gate area was at something like -145C. That was interesting.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
So after setting up a giant pacu and crab farm to grind out egg shells trying to get enough steel to build some interesting things, I've finally learned about...

fossil

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fossil is a trap that makes you think all your problems are solved before you end up exactly where you started in 10 cycles.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, fossil will get you enough lime for an introductory space program, maybe bunker the top of the map. It's really not as much as you'd think.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I should have marked my fps before this patch, but it definitely feels like the game is running a ton smoother/faster post-patch. Hopefully that is the case and not just my brain betraying me.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Just noticed dupes on the HQ asteroid were getting Popped Ears debuff and spent a few minutes checking the pressure settings for their hab module and then the feeds for the suit rack before I realized that a trace amount of oxygen had gotten stuck on the pressure sensor for the airlock's evacuation pump. That tile was at like 300g and every other tile in the room was 44+ kilos of co2. WELP

In other news I've started working on the surface for the first time since radiation became a thing and turns out radiation will travel pretty far down your ladder/pole access shaft!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yup. Double-pave the sky in lead

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

it seems like i'm getting some leakage in from the airlock door or something but it's down to 4 rads max after the staggered lead tiles in the shaft so it peters out after a mere 20 loving tiles :wtc:

it's 606 cycles in and i've got a whole setup to refine oil the bad wasteful way and teleport it back to HQ so my first rocket is a small petro engine and its first oxidizer load is oxylite that wild dense pufts poo poo out. i've been using high-pressure vents linked to pressure sensors set to 3.5 kilos to push other gases further away from the living areas so i was able to gather like 2 tonnes without any of it ofgassing for a completely unintentional bonus

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you guys don’t know, every time a dupe uses a bathroom they get rid of up to 100 rads, so small bits of radiation is harmless.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you guys don’t know, every time a dupe uses a bathroom they get rid of up to 100 rads, so small bits of radiation is harmless.

Also Plastic is pretty good as a radiation blocker, better to save the lead for other things.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

yeah the initial deal started at like 60 rads getting through and after the lead shielding it was 20. more alarming than dangerous for sure

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, space radiation is not a terrible strain. Like four layers of just standard stone brick will cut it to a minimal amount. I built a gazebo over my surface access ladder, plopped my telescope on top, and called it good.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, I built what I thought was a shinebug reactor, based on the information I was given that they wouldn't fly through liquid.

They flew through liquid, there's a dollop of crude oil on that "open" space. Does it need to be an actual puddle on a surface, an airflow tile won't cut it? Does it need ot be a more or less viscous fluid? Was my information out of date and shinebugs will just fly willy-nilly through all manner of liquid now?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I've been looking at attic fans for my actual house and also wondering about the practicality of a water cooling loop to remove heat from the attic. ONI has rotted my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

I've been looking at attic fans for my actual house and also wondering about the practicality of a water cooling loop to remove heat from the attic. ONI has rotted my brain

No joke, do the napkin math on how much heat gets carried away by trickling water down your roof.