Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

thrawn527 posted:

Yes, exactly. Which is also why gender can’t be removed from the interpretation.

So you’re saying that, if literally every action and line of dialogue was exactly the same, but their genders were switched, that I’d automatically be sympathizing with Mr Holdo instead of Ms Poe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The thing about Holdo is that it was her turn

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Xenomrph posted:

So you’re saying that, if literally every action and line of dialogue was exactly the same, but their genders were switched, that I’d automatically be sympathizing with Mr Holdo instead of Ms Poe?

No, but I’m saying the scenes would read different.

Things don’t have to be black and white.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

thrawn527 posted:

No, but I’m saying the scenes would read different.

Things don’t have to be black and white.
I can understand that they would read different to people, but speaking for myself and my own opinions and criticisms of the movie, that is not the case for me and I would have the same critiques of the characterization regardless. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t part of the filmmaker’s thought process or intent, or that other people don’t react to those things, I am speaking for myself in this particular instance with this particular movie. If you view it that way then that’s great, but the beauty of art is that different people can have different opinions of it that are based on different things.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So how ‘bout them whistling dinosaurs?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

General Battuta posted:

I agree that Poe probably should've faced harsher consequences at the end of the movie, given that he is directly responsible for the effective destruction of the Resistance.

Like he probably should've been vaporized.
My main critique of Holdo's leadership is she didn't realise she could space him to get a bit more fuel efficiency.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

It is kinda weird that Poe insisting on keeping the fighters out of the hangar is what gets him demoted, and then 5 minutes later all the fighters and pilots are destroyed while parked in the hangar lol

I agree with the message the movie is trying to express about gender dynamics and macho heroism, but it is just so clunky. It’s also really easy to interpret the whole thing as “venerate authority” which isn’t really what I want to get from Star Wars, but seems to fit with the lib-brained messaging of other parts of the movie

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

So how ‘bout them whistling dinosaurs?

For a sec I thought this was a reference to a certain bounty hunter in this week's episodes of Kenobi :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Battuta posted:

The point is to make you sympathize with Poe and not the cold woman who won’t let him be the hero. Then you discover your sympathies were misplaced.

Hey I wanted to thank you for correcting me on all of this, it improved my enjoyment of the movie. I know this is the internet and we’re supposed to triple down on our arguments and get all angry and poo poo, but I’d much rather be chill and enjoy stuff, so I don’t mind being wrong if it means I learn something from it and get more enjoyment out of things in the end.

I still have criticisms of the movie, its execution, and its characterizations though.

I also wanted to apologize for making GBS threads up this otherwise cool thread with me being an idiot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

More on the thread's topic, there are a couple old-school EU nods in the first Kenobi episode. Including one calling back to a very early Kenobi story that's an appropriate tie in here.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Just to be clear.

That there are gender dynamics at play is true as is true in almost all media. Lots of good things have been said about a woman not needing to take on a burden that should not be expected of them because the person they're interacting with is a man.

Equally I think that it is not a good look to have a white person just choose not to bring someone of non-white origin into confidence because they're assumed to be an untrustworthy loose cannon.

Notably I think it's tremendously problematic when that same person is of Latino origin and is meant to be emblematic of bad machismo.

Ultimately I think there is almost no way to play that dynamic well as presented TLJ.

Either you place Holdo in a position where as a woman she seems incompetent for not taking on an emotional burden which she arguably has no business taking on.

Or you place an ethnic minority in a position where they're thought to be reinforcing a problematic ethnic stereotype.

Sorry, I know the discussion is technically done but I feel like it really needs to be said because I feel like the intersectional nature of the interaction is ignored very frequently.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Natural 20 posted:

Sorry, I know the discussion is technically done but I feel like it really needs to be said because I feel like the intersectional nature of the interaction is ignored very frequently.

No no, that’s definitely a fair point that hadn’t brought up before, so no need to apologize at all. I hadn’t really considered that aspect of it. Interesting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It never would have occurred to me, thanks for pointing it out.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/ethanjsacks/status/1530284964893233152?s=20&t=UEfBsAPgaQEuPm8GXiH4Wg
It really is a top notch Jaxxon

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Props for the grody realistic version rather than the cutesy Looney Tunes one as well

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

More on the thread's topic, there are a couple old-school EU nods in the first Kenobi episode. Including one calling back to a very early Kenobi story that's an appropriate tie in here.
Which one is that? He has an Eopie that I like to think is Rooh.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Apparently the kid who Kumail helps flee to Corellia is named Corran in the credits, which lmao that the most Corellian Corellian in the galaxy isn't actually from there in nu-canon

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Which one is that? He has an Eopie that I like to think is Rooh.

Leia mentions a ship going to fight the Merson pirates. In one of the original Marvel comics from the 70s, there's a flashback story to Obi-Wan going to Alderaan to help Bail during the Clone Wars, and his ship gets attacked by the Merson pirates/

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Anyone read the Poe Dameron or Lando comics? Are they any good?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Poe Dameron starts out great and kind of derails once it starts fitting into the gaps in the sequel trilogy. The Lando comics I barely remember apart from one heist on one of Palpatine's stashes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Good point, everyone. It has been a while since we’ve summoned jivjov to the thread.

I mean this with love, jivjov.

Hi thrawn. Im actually way mellower than I used to me. I credit the HRT. I still am a Star Wars nerd forever and I love legends and I'm getting a wraith squadron tattoo

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

No joke, that's legit great to hear -- I mostly lurk this thread so we never interacted much directly, but I always appreciated your earnestness even when I disagreed with your exact points. Glad things are working out for you. :)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Hi thrawn. Im actually way mellower than I used to me. I credit the HRT. I still am a Star Wars nerd forever and I love legends and I'm getting a wraith squadron tattoo

Awesome to hear, jivjov! Thanks for sharing!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anyone watching the new season of Stranger Things? Without spoilers, I'm a few episodes in and the new main monster 100% looks like a Yuuzhan Vong to me.

(Also, actual EU link: in one episode, the characters watch the Ewoks cartoon)

Xenomrph posted:

Anyone read the Poe Dameron or Lando comics? Are they any good?

I overall liked the Poe Dameron comic (I actually think it's the most recent ongoing Star Wars comic I actually read the entire run of) but it's definitely uneven. To give some context, it was originally going to be a 12-issue series about the search for Lor San Tekka, leading into the start of TFA. However, after the first few issues sold really well, it was decided to expand it into an ongoing. Which means the first story arc is about the search for Lor San Tekka, and then there's a scene where Leia calls the squadron back and basically says, "Let's hold off on searching for Luke for a while and do some other missions first." Then there's a big chunk of the comic run which is fairly disconnected from the start. And then near the end, Leia again calls them in and basically says, "Okay, let's get back to the finding Luke mission."

So while I do think overall the comic is fine, the opening arc is good, then there's some lag in the middle... but where I disagree with the posters above is that I actually think the last two story arcs are the strongest. The second to last is about actually finding Lor San Tekka, but also actually has stuff for Leia to do, and addresses things like Leia's after-the-fact relationship to Padme, and the legacy of the Clone Wars in the galaxy. And then the final story arc is set after TLJ, and addresses where Poe and the Black Squadron were during the off-screen bits of TFA and TLJ, and integrates bits from the TFA novelization and Lego TFA video game. It also has a lot of galaxy world-building like discussing the aftermath of the Starkiller Base destruction and Battle of Crait, the state of the First Order, Threepio translating some of the sacred Jedi texts, Poe and Leia's relationship after the events of TLJ, and an issue whose framing story is (very minor spoilers but just in case) a conversation between R2-D2 and BB-8, with their droid speak written in English. Apparently the novel Resistance Reborn picks up immediately from where Poe and Black Squadron end the comic, but I never read it (and TROS itself overwrites a lot of Poe's backstory from the comic anyways).

Personally, I think if the Poe comic overall had been the quality of the last two arcs it would have been a worthy successor to the X-wing comic. As is, even if it's not at that level, it's still worth checking out. Also, two notable things about the last story arc: 1) it's the first ever official story set after TLJ, and 2) it's the first time in any media that Poe, Rey, and Finn all interact together.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I read the first trade paperback of the Poe series (first 6 issues) last night, and Terex is a hoot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm actually right now trying to get caught up on a bunch of new releases that have come out and I've backburnered due to having something resembling a social life now. I've been prioritizing High Republic stuff but once I'm done with that, what should be my next read? The Ascendancy trilogy finale? Ronin? Brotherhood? Queen's Hope?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

jivjov posted:

I'm actually right now trying to get caught up on a bunch of new releases that have come out and I've backburnered due to having something resembling a social life now. I've been prioritizing High Republic stuff but once I'm done with that, what should be my next read? The Ascendancy trilogy finale? Ronin? Brotherhood? Queen's Hope?

Queen's Hope takes place chronologically right before Brotherhood

So I'd say read the books in the reverse order of how you listed them out

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I really really hope that one is good. I like her other Padmé books, but Johnston's very questionable takes on Anakin and Padmé's relationship means I'm very hesitant about a book set during their marriage

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So, I didn't catch this, but if you read Aurebesh in the most recent Kenobi episode, there are apparently several references to Children of the Jedi, of all books. As well as another nod to a certain Corellian Jedi.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

So, I didn't catch this, but if you read Aurebesh in the most recent Kenobi episode, there are apparently several references to Children of the Jedi, of all books. As well as another nod to a certain Corellian Jedi.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Got this in the mail over the weekend, it’s a signed oversized card from 20+ years ago.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Search your feelings... you know it to be true.

Xenomrph posted:

Got this in the mail over the weekend, it’s a signed oversized card from 20+ years ago.

This is taking me back to 2004 when everyone was talking about how they had heard "leaks from Lucasfilm" that she was going to be in the DVD versions of ROTJ. I remember that, and scenes of Palpatine disbanding the Senate/Yoda reacting to Alderaan in ANH, were for some reason what everyone on the internet latched on to for what they thought was going to be in the new DVD versions.

Am I misremembering, or did Shannon Baksa do some sort of interview with Mark Hamill about Luke and Mara in the early 00s? I definitely remember a later interview with Hamill where he talked a bit about Luke's path in the NJO, getting married and having Ben.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

jivjov posted:

Ronin has quite probably the most lgbtq representation of any SW novel yet, if it matters. It’s very much its own AU-ish story with a different Force philosophy, though. Funny how the most badass-action-fighting of the Visions shorts ended up causing this mystical Taoist interpretation.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Chairman Capone posted:

Search your feelings... you know it to be true.

This is taking me back to 2004 when everyone was talking about how they had heard "leaks from Lucasfilm" that she was going to be in the DVD versions of ROTJ. I remember that, and scenes of Palpatine disbanding the Senate/Yoda reacting to Alderaan in ANH, were for some reason what everyone on the internet latched on to for what they thought was going to be in the new DVD versions.

Am I misremembering, or did Shannon Baksa do some sort of interview with Mark Hamill about Luke and Mara in the early 00s? I definitely remember a later interview with Hamill where he talked a bit about Luke's path in the NJO, getting married and having Ben.

Yeah, Hamill did an interview talking about Mara Jade and complaining about how she was book-only, and Luke gets left single in the movies, or something like that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Chairman Capone posted:

Of all the loving books lol

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1532075090623401984?s=20&t=NB-o-FaRyyMNd8cNwPr2lg
the madman :stonklol:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don't understand.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Battuta posted:

I don't understand.

There's names written in Aurebesh on the wall of an underground railroad called The Path helping people escape the Empire

Quinlan Vos, Valin Halcyon, Djinn Altis, Roganda Ismaren

Also "for light and life" which is a High Republic saying

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Last night I watched Rise of Skywalker for the first time since it came out, completing my rewatch of the sequel trilogy.

I think I actually liked RoS (and the whole sequel trilogy as a whole) more on the rewatch. I dunno, maybe knowing what’s going on and what’s going to happen made it easier to digest and easier to smooth over the stuff I didn’t like and focus on the stuff I did like. RoS still has pacing problems in the first half and probably should have been split into two movies to give itself more room to breathe, but I can at least say I was never bored once I just kind of rolled with the movie and let it throw stuff at my senses.

I think Abrams has a good eye for interesting action, the set piece stuff looked cool and it was easy for me to tell what was going on and what my eye should be drawn to.
Speaking as someone who grew up with the Dark Empire comics, having Palpatine come back out of nowhere really didn’t bother me, especially since we got to have him chew the absolute loving poo poo out of a ton of scenery and it owned. I would watch Ian McDiarmid read the phone book in-character as Palpatine.
Threepio was consistently hilarious in every scene he was in, easily my favorite part of the movie. Anthony Daniels must have had a blast filming this movie, awesome redemption from the prior two movies essentially giving Threepio nothing to do.
I really liked all the practical effects for creatures and aliens and stuff, I felt they looked good and felt believable in the space. I felt the same way about The Force Awakens, especially Maz’s castle. The Last Jedi didn’t really have as much of an opportunity to showcase that kind of stuff other than Canto Bight, and that stuff went by a little too fast for any of it to stand out.
Zorii was a cool new character; I liked her design, I liked her personality and interactions with the other characters, I liked that she kept the helmet on for the whole movie. You could tell she had a history and opinions and feelings despite being a faceless character, and the movie didn’t delve into any of that because it didn’t need to.
Han Solo coming back for one scene was great. It caught me totally off guard the first time I saw the movie and I loved it, and I still think it worked great on the rewatch.

I mean it’s not like I thought the movie was perfect, as mentioned it’s got pacing problems and it’s a little all over the place. The Sith has this giant planetkiller fleet that has been sitting dormant literally underground on Exegol for who knows how long, but apparently the ships are all fully staffed and ready to roll at a moment’s notice. I think the movie was trying to coast on the Rule of Cool but I’m not sure how well it worked.
On that topic, what happened to the First Order fleet?
Denis Lawson’s blink-and-you-miss-it cameo was totally wasted. Put that man in an X-wing cockpit, goddamnit.
Seeing the colossal rebel fleet was a really cool visual (and I wish it hadn’t been spoiled in the trailers; that’s like if they’d put the “portals” scene from Avengers Endgame in the trailers) but it’s kind of wasted because we don’t see the giant fleet actually engage the Sith fleet or even do anything, all of the ship to ship fighting we see is just Resistance fighters buzzing around.
Speaking of, the movie doesn’t really give a good frame of reference for how much time has passed between TLJ and RoS, or really address how the Resistance went from being literally like 9 survivors onboard the Millennium Falcon at the end of TLJ to being a shitload of soldiers and pilots with a whole bunch of starfighters at the start of RoS. I think the movie just kind of expects you to roll with it and I’m kind of okay with that but it still sticks out a little.

On the whole I’m glad I rewatched the sequel trilogy and I found more to enjoy in all three movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still find it insane that 7 and 8 take place across about three or four days and then Episode 9 wants us to believe everything happened in about 18 hours.